search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #61
vinod/kakka

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
There used to be (not sure if they are still there) a company that exported Samosas from CSEZ. One Mr. Pillai first started a feeding bottle plant (and we named him മുലക്കുപ്പി പിള്ള for that) and later diversified into samosas. Those were very good stuff.

IMHO, there is huge opportunities to export coconut stuff. You must see the things coming from Sri Lanka and Philipines!
If we were to learn from SriLanka, we should bring back Arrack brewed from Toddy, rather than send funds out of the state. Wonder how much money IMFL barons make from the ban of Arrack from Kerala.

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #62
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Kakka, you said it!!! Leave alone Arrack, we are not giving the worth it deserves for our Kallu /Toddy

Rather than popularising it and making value added products like bottled toddy, our systems force abkaris to mix spirit & diasapam and make it a spurious drink. The ill effects of banning arrack!!!

I think recently excise minister said about starting some ' model toddy shops'. How good it would have been if we get pure, natural toddy and it is served in nice, neat restaurants rather than most of the present dingy sheds.

Perhaps these days one can dream of getting good toddy only if he gives a coconut tree in his yard to the local tapper and get in to some understanding with him for his own consumption. Not sure of legalities, but think it would be against excise laws though.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #63
passionfruit12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Whenever there is discussion about this topic, you are very active in that.

Just kidding !
passionfruit12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #64
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Likes (Received): 1976

'Kerala's 2-wheeler market is booming'
Quote:
KOCHI: Kerala is right now the market to be in for two-wheeler companies, according to Roy Kurian, national business head of India Yamaha Motor.

"Kerala's two-wheeler market is booming and we expect it to grow by 30% in calendar year 2012. Currently, we have 15 dealers and will add three new dealers this year. Our target is to drive up the number of dealers to more than 20 in 2013," he said while talking to reporters in Kochi on Saturday.

"Kerala is essentially a scooter market. Every month, 32,000 bikes and 22,000 scooters are sold by different manufacturers in Kerala. In Alappuzha, scooter sales match that of bikes. The popularity of scooters could be attributed to the highly literate and employed women in the state as well as the image of the scooter as a family vehicle," Kurian added.

However, countrywide, bike owners are downgrading their bikes due to rising petrol prices, Kurian observed. "In 2010 and 2011, people used to upgrade from 100 cc bikes to 150 cc bikes, but as petrol prices shot up, customers are buying more 100 cc bikes," he said.

Yamaha sold 3.3 lakh bikes in 2011 and expects to sell 4-4.5 lakh bikes this year."Our target is to sell one million vehicles in 2014," Kurian said. The company is also increasing capacity. "We have manufacturing plants in Faridabad and Surajpur with existing capacity of 6.5 lakh vehicles. This will be increased to one million bikes by 2014 towards which the company has invested Rs 750 crore.

"One more manufacturing facility is coming up in Chennai with an investment of Rs 1,500 crore which will be operational by January 2014." The availability of a vendor base and port connectivity were prime reasons for Yamaha to choose Chennai as a manufacturing centre.

"South India is a good market for Yamaha as 40% of our sales happen here," Kurian said. The company is also planning to develop India as a manufacturing hub to serve its African and Asean markets.

"Currently, we export to Philippines, Indonesia, Columbia, Bangladesh and Nepal. Last year, we exported 1.2 lakh bikes and expect to export 1.7 lakh in 2012," he added. Yamaha is also planning to develop an R&D centre in India.
chekuthan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #65
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Likes (Received): 4146

SL exports toddy in cans, just like beer cans. I once bought a few for $1.99 each in 2004 dollars. They were good, but I am sure our will be better. They also export 'elaneer' in cans. But that one loses its charm in canning process.

There should be a scheme/technology to block fermentation at the tree, and then do controlled fermentation in a factory environment, resulting in a balanced bottled drink.
DileepKS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #66
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 6996

True, 'Elaneer' in cans in no way taste as good to the ones from tender coconut. And at times it smells toddy.

AtoZ liked this post
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #67
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

I don't think there will be a technology to preserve elaneer without losing the freshness. But toddy is a different story.

Karnataka have (or used to have) Neera, the unfermented version of kallu as a softdrink. Someone tried to implement it here, but shot down by the abkaris.

There are a few outlets that serve good quality toddy, like Mullapanthal. But they are also bound by the crazy abkari rules.
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #68
RajeshVR

Likes (Received): 4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
I don't think there will be a technology to preserve elaneer without losing the freshness. But toddy is a different story.
Dileep sir, We cant say that. Garden fresh technologies are avalable for most of the food products . Probably Elaneer is not a sayippu food product. Otherwise they would have made fortune from this precios and most hygienic drink from the earth.
RajeshVR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #69
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Well, I am yet to see a preserved food item that show even remote justice to the fresh one, and I have tries a lot of stuff during my USA stint. Can you point to one item?

Still, you are right on the sayippu food angle. You don't need the canned food to taste exactly like fresh. You just need it to taste good and serve essentially the same purpose. Look at orange juice for example. The canned ones are no way the same as fresh squeezed ones, but still it is pretty good to drink. The elaneer from Philippines or SL doesn't taste good, that is the problem.

THEN, I belong to the spoilt lot who drink the elaneer straight fresh-picked from the tree often.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #70
vinod/kakka

Cocunut water is now available in US supermarkets, and it has good quality. It is considered to be a health drink.

http://www.zico.com/products/benefit...FVITNAodgVwitw
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #71
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

I wonder where they are getting it from?
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #72
chennaidesi

Likes (Received): 503

Mostly from Thailand. I commenly see a product made by Goya in most grocery shops in Pennsylvania.
chennaidesi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #73
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Can anyone comment on how it compares in taste?

My experience is with the SL/Philipine imports pre 2006, which didn't taste good. But this one, looking at the promotion as a sport drink must taste good.
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #74
vinod/kakka

This is not Elaneer, it is mature coconut water. The bottled ones taste better than the canned ones used to.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #75
seenivasan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Thank your for wonderful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekuthan View Post
This thread is to discuss the economy of Kerala. Post articles, news, opinions etc about the kerala economy.

Pasting an article from Wikipedia which describes salient features of the economy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kerala

Thanks you so much
this is what i was exactly looking for
thanks again
kerala travel agents
seenivasan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #76
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Looks like a bot by looking at the pattern. Please confirm you are a real person.
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #77
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 5808

Are you human? Type this. Come on...
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #78
ak.army

Likes (Received): 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
Are you human? Type this. Come on...
i admit i am not human
ak.army no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #79
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Oh, come on.. Aslesh. I was serious. Bots are quite sophisticated these days, that it is quite difficult to detect them. I just wanted to see if I detected wrong. IT is highly advisable NOT to click those links, because most likely it will infect your computer.

BTW. I am not human either, but my programming is so good, that I do not spam links. (Except of course, my own plugging as seen below in the signature.
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #80
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 5808

I was kidding. The captcha was meant for the spammer actually. Btw this might be a human spammer. SEO companies get paid for black hat SEO. Means go and post links to related websites like blogs and forums. That will fetch them high google page rank.