search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #121
rajkrish
Trivandrum

Likes (Received): 1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS
ECR passports went down because the qualification is changed. When I got mine, had to give the degree certificate. Now it is 10th.
Exactly

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #122
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Likes (Received): 1979

Mobile phone connection density in Kerala reaches 103%

Old July 20th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #123
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Likes (Received): 10423

1026.08 crores from Ernakulam District flows into State Treasury

• Commercial Taxes dept ranks first, followed by Registration and Motor Vehicles dept
  • 10,360.94 crores was contributed by the district to State Treasury
  • Kochi region contributes the lion share of revenues.

Good Going Kochi- the commercial/business capital of Kerala

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED

Last edited by mohammedirshad06; July 20th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #124
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 6038

Where in the report it says that Ernakulam tops in Govt revenue?
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #125
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Likes (Received): 10423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
Yeah, true that this report didn't report said so. But the collector said so, in the press meet as per his estimation and which is a known fact too....

Quote:
Pareeth said that though the figures from other districts were yet to come in, it is roughly estimated that the district would account for 50% of the total revenue of the state exchequer. "The district has contributed almost half of the state revenue for the second consecutive year. We hope that we can maintain the same performance next year too," he added.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...very-ernakulam
For sake of maintaining fair sense, I am editing the heading too....

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #126
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Posting from Cochin Projects thread

Old July 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #127
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Sharp fall in rains bodes ill for Kerala
Quote:
With Kerala recording a deficiency of nearly 40% rainfall since the onset of south west monsoon, a grim scenario awaits the state's economy, especially its power sector which relies heavily on hydel sources.

Though the state agencies are yet to assess the fallout of scanty rains on agricultural front, danger signals have already started emanating from the energy front.
According to Indian Meteorological Department here, the rainfall received by the state has been deficient by 39% since June 1. The state received only 75 cm of rainfall till today against the normal 123 cm it should have received from June first week.
According to Electricity Minister Aryadan Muhammad, the storage level in reservoirs have come down to 16.43% of their capacity by last week as against 40.61% during the corresponding period last year.

This showed that the storage, kept up by abundant rainfall brought by the monsoon in the catchment areas, is 24.18% less than last year.

As per the estimates of the Kerala State Electricity Board, the inflow into reservoirs since June first week has been equivalent to 733 million units, far short of 1702 million units last year.

According to energy experts, unless there is a dramatic change in the situation in the coming days, the state would be forced to tap heavily on outside sources to meet the demand incurring additional costs, part of which to be passed on to the consumers.

Hydro-electric stations account for the lion's share of 2040.8 MW of power generated in the state out of its total installed capacity of 2857.59 MW. Even now, there is a demand- supply gap, which is met by drawals from the central grid and other outside sources.

This would compel the state to take tough decisions against its decades-long policy of providing affordable electricity to all sections of the society.

As a consumer state, shortfall in rains in other parts of the country could also bode ill for Kerala which depends heavily on neighbours like Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh for its staple rice, vegetables and other basic provisions.

Possible fall in production due to failed monsoon in these states could also upset the market-intervention schemes of Kerala's food and civil supplies agencies.

This has already become a cause of worry since the "Onam" festival and Eid-ul-Fitr are falling side-by-side in August.

It has been a long practice for the state and co-operative agencies to open a string of fair price stalls selling essentials and vegetables at subsidised price, as a mechanism to control open market prices to a great extent.
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #128
chekuthan
che-kut-han

- Kerala's debt reaches 87,063 crores
- Special Fund will be set up to start repaying it
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #129
psanthosh

Likes (Received): 307

http://www.manoramaonline.com/[email protected]@@&tabId=11
psanthosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #130
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Monsoon failure cripples Kerala economy

Quote:
Monsoon failure cripples Kerala economy

T K Devasia / 29 July 2012

With the monsoon deficiency mounting to over 40 per cent in Kerala, a bleak scenario awaits the state economy.
The state, which is heavily dependent on rains for not only agriculture but also power and drinking water, has received only about 80 cm rainfall till the end of this week as against 125 cm it receives normally by the end of July.

Meteorological Department Director K Santhosh attributed the low rainfall to weak north-westward monsoon current this time. The present current is not strong enough to push rain clouds towards the Western Ghats region, where the rain clouds usually get condensed and brings continuous rainfall.

“The low frequency pressure that forms in the Bay of Bengal normally strengthen the monsoon current in Kerala, but this has not occurred this year”, Santhosh said.

The immediate impact of the poor monsoon will be felt in the energy front. Electricity Minister Aryadan Mohammad says that the state may face a severe power deficit in the coming months.

The Kerala State Electricity Board has already recommended restrictions in supply to tide over the crisis. However, the government is yet to take a political decision. The mounting protests against the recent power tariff hike have tied the government hands.

The power scenario has turned grim with the storage level in reservoirs coming down to 16.43 per cent of their capacity by last week as against 40.61 per cent during the corresponding period last year.

KSEB officials said that the inflow into reservoirs since June first week has been equivalent to only 733 million units as against 1,702 million units last year. This may force the state to buy power from outside sources at high cost.

The state is heavily dependent on hydel power to meet its energy requirements. Out of the state’s total installed capacity of 2857.59 MW of power, hydro-electric stations account for 2040.8 MW. The state is already grappling with a huge demand-supply gap.

It is being met by power purchased from various sources at higher rates. The poor monsoon will worsen the situation further.

The drastic drop in the rainfall will also affect agriculture. Agriculture department officials said that it had already affected paddy crop in arid areas like Palakkad, which is considered as the rice bowl of Kerala.

Sowing in Wayanad district which incidentally recorded the lowest rainfall during the current monsoon in Kerala has also been affected.

Agriculture department officials said the department had stocked seeds for a second sowing in case failed monsoon damaged the saplings of the first sowing.

The poor monsoon may also affect vegetable, fruit, pepper and cardamom, cashew, coffee and tea production.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #131
chekuthan
che-kut-han

http://www.manoramaonline.com/[email protected]@@&tabId=11
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #132
chekuthan
che-kut-han

http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...nguage=english
Old August 4th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #133
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #134
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Old August 12th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #135
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Kerala heading towards zero-population growth rate

Quote:
Thiruvanathapuram : Kerala is heading for a significant phase in its demographic transition with the state moving towards achieving zero population growth rate, which will result in an increase in scarcity of labour.

With a very low fertility rate and stabilising death rate, Kerala is expected to achieve zero population growth rate in 25 to 30 years, a stage indicating the incipient decline of the population, according to the State Urbanisation Report.

"Kerala is already experiencing negative population growth and with birth and death rate remaining at the same level, the state's population growth will reach zero level", Population Expert at the Centre for Development Studies, Gridhyaraj, said here.

The very low natural increase in population, low fertility rate, stablized death rate all leads to the third stage of demographic transition in Kerala -- zero population growth rate, he said.

There would be more old people, leading to health related problems. Also, there would be shortage of labour.

The report, prepared by the Department of Town and Country Planning, found that migration from the state and decline in fertility is a cause for low population growth.

Interestingly there were regional variations in population growth. There was also a spatial shift in the region of high population growth rate in the last five decades.

While in the 1950s, the southern districts showed high population growth, at present the growth rate is in central and northern districts, the report said.

Presently Kerala's population is 3.34 crore, constituting about 2.7 percent of the total population of India.The annual population growth rate is 0.5 percent, lowest in the country. Kerala has a high population density with 859 persons per square kilometer.

Historically Kerala has experienced a very low population growth rate compared to the national population growth rate.

Kerala has been considered an 'out-migration' state right from 1930.As per a study of city based Centre for Developmemnt Studies 22.8 lakh people from the state were living abroad in 2011 while the number of migrants living in other states is estimated at 9.31 lakh.

The report said Kerala, which already depends on workers from other states, especially West Bengal, Odisha and the North East for construction activities, would also face labour shortage in agriculture and related activities in future.

Kerala now has around three million immigrant labourers, mainly in the construction sector and other allied activities.

On population features in urban areas, the report said growth rate of urban population has always been higher than that of the total population, indicating the high pace of urbanisation experienced in Kerala.

"The state has undergone highest level of urbanisation in its history with a percentage increase of 83.82 during 2001-2011 over the previous decade," it said.

As per the present urbanisation pattern, environmentally sensitive high land is spared, but fetile agriculture land in the midlands is being converted for commercial and residential purposes, the report said.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #136
Aji Kollam
New Comer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
Should it be mentioned to know that?
Aji Kollam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #137
psanthosh

Manmohan to open Emerging Kerala

T. Balakrishnan, Managing Director of INKEL and the High Speed Rail Corridor project, has said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has confirmed that he will inaugurate the Emerging Kerala meet in September in Kochi. A session on heritage preservation, jointly organised by Unesco and the government, would be part of the event, he said on Friday.

He was speaking at an interactive session on the meet, organised by the Kerala Management Association and sponsored by DP World and Petronet LNG Limited here.

Mr. Balakrishnan said Emerging Kerala would be an exposition of Kerala to the world and an opportunity for the State to listen to the world.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3788382.ece
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:39 AM   #138
psanthosh

കൊച്ചി-പാലക്കാട് നിംസിന് കേന്ദ്രാനുമതി തേടി

തിരുവനന്തപുരം:വൻ മുന്നേറ്റം പ്രതീക്ഷിക്കുന്ന കൊച്ചി-പാലക്കാട് ദേശീയ നിക്ഷേപ ഉല്പാദന മേഖല (നിംസ്) യ്ക്ക് സംസ്ഥാനം കേന്ദ്രസർക്കാരിന്റെ അനുമതി തേടി. 53,825 കോടി രൂപയുടേതാണ് ഈ പദ്ധതി. നിംസിനു വേണ്ടി കെ.എസ്.ഐ.ഡി.സി തയാറാക്കിയ വിശദമായ പദ്ധതി റിപ്പോർട്ട് കേന്ദ്രസർക്കാരിന് നൽകിയെന്ന് മന്ത്രി പി.കെ കുഞ്ഞാലിക്കുട്ടി അറിയിച്ചു.

എമർജിങ് കേരള നിക്ഷേപക ഉച്ചകോടിയിൽപ്പെട്ട 'നിംസ്' പൊതു-സ്വകാര്യ പങ്കാളിത്തത്തോടെയാണ് പൂർത്തിയാക്കുക. ആറു വ്യവസായമേഖലകൾ, രണ്ട് ഭക്ഷ്യ-കാർഷിക ഉല്പാദന മേഖലകൾ, മൂന്ന് എൻജിനീയറിങ്-ഇലക്ട്രോണിക്സ് മേഖലകൾ, ഒരു കെമിക്കൽ-പെട്രോ കെമിക്കൽ എന്നിവയും വൈദ്യുതോല്പാദനത്തിനുള്ള സൗകര്യങ്ങളുമാണ് നിംസിലുണ്ടാവുകയെന്ന് കെ.എസ്.ഐ.ഡി.സി. എം.ഡി. അൽക്കേഷ് ശർമ പറഞ്ഞു. ഡ്രെയിനേജ്, കുടിവെള്ള പദ്ധതികൾ, മലിനജല സംസ്കരണ പ്ലാന്റുകൾ, മലിനജല നിർഗമന മാർഗങ്ങൾ, മഴവെള്ള ശേഖരം, ഖരമാലിന്യ നിർമാർജനം, ഹരിതമേഖലകൾ എന്നിവയോടെ ഓരോ സമുച്ചയവും തീർത്തും സ്വയംപര്യാപ്തമായിരിക്കും. സംസ്ഥാന സർക്കാരിന്റെ വിവിധ ഏജൻസികളുടേതായി 1700 ഹെക്ടർ ഈ മേഖലയിലുണ്ട്. എറണാകുളം, തൃശ്ശൂർ, പാലക്കാട്, മലപ്പുറം ജില്ലകളിലായി 3500 ഏക്കർ ഏറ്റെടുക്കണം. ആവശ്യമായ ഭൂമി കെ.എസ്.ഐ.ഡി.സി. കണ്ടെത്തിയിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇപ്പോഴത്തെ എൻ.എച്ച് 544-നിരുവശത്തുമായി 25 കിലോമീറ്ററിനുള്ളിൽ 160 കിലോമീറ്റർ ദൈർഘ്യമുള്ള ഭാഗത്താണ് പദ്ധതി വിഭാവനം ചെയ്തിരിക്കുന്നത്. വൈദ്യുതിക്കുവേണ്ടി വാതകാധിഷ്ഠിത നിലയം സ്ഥാപിക്കും. സൗരോർജമായി 250 മെഗാവാട്ടും കാറ്റിൽനിന്ന് 50 മെഗാവാട്ടും ഉല്പാദിപ്പിക്കുന്നതോടെ പാരമ്പര്യേതര ഊർജം 300 മെഗാവാട്ടാകുമെന്ന് കെ.എസ്.ഐ.ഡി.സി. എക്സിക്യൂട്ടീവ് ഡയറക്ടർ ടി.പി. തോമസുകുട്ടി ചൂണ്ടിക്കാട്ടി. നിംസ് നടപ്പാക്കാനായി കേന്ദ്ര-സംസ്ഥാന സർക്കാരുകളുടെ പങ്കാളിത്തമുള്ള പ്രത്യേക സംവിധാന (എസ്.പി.വി.) ത്തിനു രൂപം നൽകും. പദ്ധതിയുടെ മാസ്റ്റർപ്ലാൻ തയാറാക്കുന്നതും വികസനപരിപാടികൾ ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്നതും ഈ എസ്.പി.വി. ആയിരിക്കും

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/online/ma...08-21/business
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:58 AM   #139
psanthosh

Ginger processing unit in Wayanad

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The government will soon set up its first ginger processing unit at Meenangadi in Wayanad.

State agriculture department plans to foray into the production of value-added products using agriculture produce with this unit.

National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology (NIIST) would provide the technology while Malabar Rural Development Foundation under MILMA would be operating agency of the unit.

"Apart from the marketing of cleaned and waxed ginger, the unit proposes to produce ginger oil and powder using raw ginger procured from farmers in the state. We hope the unit would help Kerala to explore the abundant market for value-added ginger products in domestic as well as foreign markets," said state agriculture director A Ajith Kumar.

The proposal is to set up an integrated spice processing facility capable of processing 7.5 tonnes of fresh ginger a day. Of this, around 4 tonnes would be marketed as cleaned waxed ginger and the rest will be processed for making ginger oil/ginger powder or both.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/15593750.cms
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:05 AM   #140
psanthosh

'Kerala contributes 30% of revenue'

KOCHI: Kerala contributes up to 30% of the revenues of Piaggio Vehicles Pvt Ltd, revealed Ravi Chopra, chairman and managing director of the company.

"Kerala is an all-weather friend, which sustained its leadership in sales among Indian states and also grew during the last fiscal. This is while sales have come down in Tamil Nadu due to restrictions in issuing auto permits and in Andhra Pradesh due to Telungana problem and issues with micro finance companies," Chopra said while talking to reporters after announcing the company's Onam offers in Kochi on Wednesday.

Piaggio has sold 8,000 units of the new premium scooter Vespa across the country and 700 in Kerala, he revealed. "It is priced at Rs 68,488 and the company identifies a latent potential market in the untapped premium space of the scooter category, and is very optimistic about the growth trends in India," he said.

The company has a production facility in Baramati in Maharashtra with a capacity of 1.5 lakh vehicles per annum and this will be doubled by the second half of 2013.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/15608842.cms