search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2017, 10:26 AM   #81
wydman

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochi Next View Post
It would be great if this project realizes... Circling through TN to reach Bangalore is such a head ache.....

As of now, it looks like this project is right on track.

The only uncertainty is around Bandipur forest. It is not clear how they will overcome the ban on 'underground pipelines' in Bandipur National Park (by extension, it may apply to railway tunnel, which is the proposed plan).

Dr E Sreedharan did not appear to be concerned about it and he was very confident about this railway line becoming a reality. So I assume there is some way out there which they are working on in the background.

My guess is that they will use the 'national importance' of this project to get the clearance. (It's reducing the distance between two large industrial cities Bangalore and Kochi by 94km, offering connectivity from Bangalore to two mega ports Vallarpadam and Vizhinjam, connecting two tier-2 cities Mysore and Coimbatore and introducing a new district Wayanad to the railway map).

In the worst case, they can reroute the line through Mananthavady to avoid Bandipur.

Dr Sreedharan had mentioned the line will be highly profitable and so attracting investors will not be a problem!!
wydman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:18 PM   #82
Kochi Next

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydman View Post
As of now, it looks like this project is right on track.

The only uncertainty is around Bandipur forest. It is not clear how they will overcome the ban on 'underground pipelines' in Bandipur National Park (by extension, it may apply to railway tunnel, which is the proposed plan).

Dr E Sreedharan did not appear to be concerned about it and he was very confident about this railway line becoming a reality. So I assume there is some way out there which they are working on in the background.

My guess is that they will use the 'national importance' of this project to get the clearance. (It's reducing the distance between two large industrial cities Bangalore and Kochi by 94km, offering connectivity from Bangalore to two mega ports Vallarpadam and Vizhinjam, connecting two tier-2 cities Mysore and Coimbatore and introducing a new district Wayanad to the railway map).

In the worst case, they can reroute the line through Mananthavady to avoid Bandipur.

Dr Sreedharan had mentioned the line will be highly profitable and so attracting investors will not be a problem!!
Why is Karnataka not so eager about this project.....
Kochi Next no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:20 PM   #83
Kochi Next

Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) Railway Projects will get priority in 2017-18 Budget

As per reliable sources Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) Railway Projects will get priority in 2017-18 Budget.

Railway Ministry has sanctioned 2016-17 Railway Budget new lines under the Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) -

1. Nanjangud-Nilambur (236 km)
2. Mysuru-Kushalnagar (85 km)
3. Talaguppa-Siddapura (16 km)
4. Bangarpet-Mulbagal (40 km)
5. Talaguppa-Honnavar (82 km)
6. Dharwad-Belagavi (91 km)

to be executed under the Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) funding. However, the timeframe for these projects was not mentioned.

Cross posting from Karnataka Thread
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:22 PM   #84
KOLLAM PAPPU

Likes (Received): 79

I am from Kollam (Quilon). I used to follow with interest the news about the Nilambur Nanjangud rail line. During 2009 to 2012 I was doing my service at a firm in Kozhikode. I used to travel weekly to Kollam by Jansathabdi (From the time it was introduced) and back to Kozikode by TVM Mangalore Express (Earstwhile Kannoor Exp). Whenever I passed Shornur station I watched with interest the barely used Nilambur line branching off. I am now happy that Govt. of Kerala and Railways are showing interest and this line going to materialize that too bypassing Tamilnadu. A new line independent of Tamilnadu is boon for Kerala apart from the Konkan line. My sincere wish is that the people of Wayanad should stand united to fulfill this dream. For us from Kollam, this new line will save about 123 kms for our travel to Bangaluru. The present rail distance from Kollam to Bangaluru is 764 kms. Kollam Nilambur distance is 327 kms. Proposed Nilambur Nanjangud line is 163 kms. Mysore Nanjangud distance 25 kms and Mysore Bangaluru is 126 kms.

Riaz khalid, Vadakarakkaaran liked this post
KOLLAM PAPPU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:01 PM   #85
wydman

Quote:
Why is Karnataka not so eager about this project.....

Well, we cannot say Karnataka is not eager. This project is vested with South Western Railway which is based in Karnataka. Railway officials from Mysore division had earlier visited the Bandipur park in connection with this project. Mysore chamber of commerce is also demanding for this railway line.

Now, the opposition is on the line cutting through Bandipur. Unlike Kerala, Karnataka people value their forests and wildlife. Hence there is opposition to this project. However, if a tunnel is going under the national park with no disturbance to the forest then I don't think there will be any more oppositions. As I mentioned earlier, in worst case the alignment may have to be changed to avoid Bandipur in worst case.
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:25 AM   #86
wydman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOLLAM PAPPU View Post
My sincere wish is that the people of Wayanad should stand united to fulfill this dream. For us from Kollam, this new line will save about 123 kms for our travel to Bangaluru. The present rail distance from Kollam to Bangaluru is 764 kms. Kollam Nilambur distance is 327 kms. Proposed Nilambur Nanjangud line is 163 kms. Mysore Nanjangud distance 25 kms and Mysore Bangaluru is 126 kms.

Yes there is unity being formed across Wayanad towards this line. A major breakthrough was the 'coordination committee' formed comprising of MP and MLAs who are from both LDF and UDF. And they are demonstrating unity in all the efforts relating to this railway project. I think this influenced the people as well.

Also, people of Wayanad have started to believe this railway line is going to be a reality.

Talking about the 'under utilised' Shoranur - Nilambur line, this is true of Bangalore- Nanjangud as well. With the doubling of Bangalore- Mysore line, there is a lot of capacity not being utilised. Mysore - Nanjangud is even worse in terms of utilisation. I think this is the main reason why the railways is keen on this project.
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:49 AM   #87
simpliCITY
here and there

Likes (Received): 1080

There is very slim chance for this line ever going to happen. piercing through dense forests ( that too some of the last refuge of Tigers and a natural world heritage site ) . For Wayanad people it is better to campaigne for connecting Mysore with Wayanad through Kabani base ( which is the only way to connect with Karnadaka outside of any sanctuary - then we can think to connect that to Thalassery or Koyilandy or wherever
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:19 PM   #88
viju60
viju

Likes (Received): 7

I agree. Absolutely. The western ghats are endemic to some really rare flora and fauna. If we don't think of sustainable development there is no hope left for us. I would be surprised if this gets EIA clearances
viju60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #89
jaivin

Likes (Received): 2128

naveenpf, Riaz khalid liked this post
jaivin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #90
riva.tholoor.philip

Likes (Received): 1078

Quote:
Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) Railway Projects will get priority in 2017-18 Budget

As per reliable sources Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) Railway Projects will get priority in 2017-18 Budget.

Railway Ministry has sanctioned 2016-17 Railway Budget new lines under the Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) -

1. Nanjangud-Nilambur (236 km)
2. Mysuru-Kushalnagar (85 km)
3. Talaguppa-Siddapura (16 km)
4. Bangarpet-Mulbagal (40 km)
5. Talaguppa-Honnavar (82 km)
6. Dharwad-Belagavi (91 km)

to be executed under the Extra-Budgetary Resources (EBR) funding. However, the timeframe for these projects was not mentioned.

Cross posting from Karnataka Thread
As Railway Ministry already approved Mysore-Kushalnagara (Coorg) [this line starts from krishnarajasagara, near Brindavan gardens, Mysore], Kerala should try for Kannur-Airport-Iritty. Later both the lines can be connected as Iritty-Virajpet-Madikeri-Kushalnagara.
riva.tholoor.philip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #91
sankar tho

Likes (Received): 343

After going through the entire set of comments ; I have little queres & some suggestions.

Queries

1) Both Shoranur & Tellicherry are under Southern Railway headquartered at Chennai with major chunk of lines , staff & decision making coming from Tamil Nadu region . Will they support half a dozen trains diverting from their area( all kerala trains plying to bangalore moves through salem , jolarpettai) .So they will do maximum to derail the project.
2) Usual Railway construction by Indian Railway through forest area causes a lot of damage to the surrounding region.
3)Indian Railway tickets are heavily subsidized .So the cost of the project never returns virtually anything which stops the further development of corridor.

Suggestions ( Please go through it before criticizing)

1) Kerala Govt is planning a HSR between Both ends of kerala which will never materialized due to the high cost factor involved as a part of LA. Why could they drop that & start a Tellicherry - Mysore route with Soft loans from International Agecies.LA wil be less & Consultancy firms from South Korea/ Japan who have planned & Executed such infrastructure without disturbing Forest / Animal world.
2) Fares should not be highly subsidized which forms another form of Burden. Speed & Quality services should be the motto instead of cheap politics like Bangalore in 75 rs from tellicherry or something like that.
3) Malayali movement to Bangalore is increasing daily. Hence even if they charge 1500/ head ; i don't think its going to be in loss.
4)UG & At elevated structure construction through Forest will be an engineering marvel which reduces Road transport plus giving subcontractors & staffs/ Technicians virtually a good exposure to such projects. Story Of Delhi Metro can be a suited Example.
sankar tho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 05:40 AM   #92
Riaz khalid
A hard core Urban

Likes (Received): 365

Karnataka too is slowly inching towards the project to happen it seems. Its always together we achieve.
Riaz khalid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #93
jaivin

Likes (Received): 2128

adk193 liked this post
jaivin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #94
wydman

Karnataka is supporting the Nilambur-Nanjangud rail.

Source: Malayala Manorama, 2017-02-13
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #95
wydman

Central government document confirms Nanjangud-Nilambur railway line was one of the 30 projects identified for implementation jointly with state governments.

Source: Malayala Manorama, 2017-02-25
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #96
KOLLAM PAPPU

Likes (Received): 79

Hi Wydman,
You could have posted the above on 25th itself. Please do something lively daily so that this thread is active.My BEST WISHES for this dream project of Wayanad people.

wydman liked this post
KOLLAM PAPPU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:50 AM   #97
wydman

DMRC has been paid Rs 2 Cr by the Kerala state government. DMRC will now proceed with the final location survey.

Source: Mathrubhumi, 2017-03-07

naveenpf, KOLLAM PAPPU liked this post
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #98
Kochi Next

Guys we have to increase the momentum for the Nilambur-Nanjangaud rail line.
Its really crazy travelling across TN to reach Bangalore.

Recently a special train has been introduced b/w Ernakulam and Mysore...
It takes 14.5 hours reach Mysore. It travels all way the around TN. If the Nilambur-Nanjangaud route realizes we could reach Mysore by 7 hours.

Also we will be able to start new trains to northern destinations which are considerably shorter than TN route....

Last edited by Kochi Next; March 10th, 2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #99
wydman

Well, the representatives of Wayanad and Nilambur are doing everything they can within the current political environment.

You would have noticed Nilambur- Nanjangud is now in the phase-2 in the list Kerala government submitted to Centre for JV implementations. Thalassery-Mysore is in phase-1. This is completely understandable when we have a Thalasserikkaaran chief minister.

Before I talk any further, as a Wayanad resident, I am happy if at least one of these lines materialises (as long as Thalassery-Mysore line is via Mananthavady). My worry is we losing both projects by delaying the one project which is already approved by railway board and the other one being rejected due to whatever reasons. Strictly speaking these two lines are not competing each other rather these have different purposes and different profitability factors. However I do understand the fear of Thalasserikkar about that project becoming even less competitive if Nilambur line gets implemented first.

Now, the Kerala government has not deleted the Nilambur-Nanjangud project from the list, may be they fear a public outcry? They were forced to release the money to DMRC as well so now DMRC can do the location surveys. This means there will be progress happening in the background. In worst case we may have to wait for the next government (hopefully not another Thalasserikkaaran at the top) for the Nilambur-Nanjangud project to really gain momentum.

Last edited by wydman; March 10th, 2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #100
wydman

I just realised this: Perinthalmanna will be a major beneficiary of Nilambur-Nanjangud line (through Angadippuram station). But I have never seen the Perinthalmanna MLA participating in the meetings etc. I am surprised why?

Tags
kerala railway projects