search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:57 PM   #41
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Likes (Received): 3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidu View Post
That is only the population of muncipality. Flats,Villas, Shopping centers, Hotels etc are coming up in near by panchayats like pallikkunnu, chirakkal, puzhathi, azhikode, elayavoor and edakkad. There is not much land left in the muncipality area. Kannur muncipality is too small with area just around 10+ sq km.
kidu i know that...tats y i created this thread for kannur and is happy tat people like u r posting pics...hope u will sent a good snap of kannur city center...
sanjupalayat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #42
sanjupalayat
Calicut

hotel royal o-mars
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #43
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 6038

Malabar Cancer Center, Thalassery.
Aslesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #44
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Parassinikadavu Temple

"City Center" Kannur
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #45
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

sanju can u plz correct the title as cannanore instead of cannore.
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #46
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

He cannot do it, only the mods/admins can do.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #47
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Thanx sudheesh.
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #48
sanjupalayat
Calicut

thanx 4 those pics kidu.......
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM   #49
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Royal Heights, Arat Road

Completed
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #50
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Park Avenue, Near SN Park. Coming up.

Greens villa
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #51
sanjupalayat
Calicut

i think if kannur grows in this pace..it will be another skyscrapercity in malabar...kidu good job...
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #52
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

I dont think kannur is growing in fast pace as it needs to be. Not just kannur whole malabar shows a slow paced development when compared with southern kerala. Malabar did show a fast paced development in eighties and early nintees. That was due to money from middle east. But in late nintees it slowed down. That is due to lack of infrastructure. Until mid of nintees malabar had similar infrastructure like other parts of Kerala. But later south kerala got an infrastructure boom but malabar was left behind. NH-47 got widened but you can see NH-17 even now its just single lane in many places. Railway in tvm division became double laned. But in malabar region doubling is just going to complete now in 2007. Still no plans for electifcation in malabar sector. No new railway lines. Tvm airport was international already then another international airport in kochi. But calicut airport still lacking international facilities. That too with lion share of expatriates from malabar region. Just some highrises cannot considered as a sign development. First of all infrastructure needs to be developed. That should be done equally every where. There is no need to live in high rise flats in the city if same infrastructure is available in a village. This flats will just add polution, increase water shortage and create a high demand of resources in a very small area. I dont think any of the cities or towns in Kerala is capable to handle the current real estate boom.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #53
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidu View Post
I dont think kannur is growing in fast pace as it needs to be. Not just kannur whole malabar shows a slow paced development when compared with southern kerala. Malabar did show a fast paced development in eighties and early nintees. That was due to money from middle east. But in late nintees it slowed down. That is due to lack of infrastructure. Until mid of nintees malabar had similar infrastructure like other parts of Kerala. But later south kerala got an infrastructure boom but malabar was left behind. NH-47 got widened but you can see NH-17 even now its just single lane in many places. Railway in tvm division became double laned. But in malabar region doubling is just going to complete now in 2007. Still no plans for electifcation in malabar sector. No new railway lines. Tvm airport was international already then another international airport in kochi. But calicut airport still lacking international facilities. That too with lion share of expatriates from malabar region. Just some highrises cannot considered as a sign development. First of all infrastructure needs to be developed. That should be done equally every where. There is no need to live in high rise flats in the city if same infrastructure is available in a village. This flats will just add polution, increase water shortage and create a high demand of resources in a very small area. I dont think any of the cities or towns in Kerala is capable to handle the current real estate boom.
kidu wat u said is right...govt is showing negligence to malabar area..i hve quoted this several times in this forum,while govt is sanctioning mega projects to kochi and trivandrum calicut is been sidelined eventhough it have a huge potential for industrial growth especially IT, calicut is having premium educational institutions in India like IIM & NIT etc which can help the city to grow along wid govt support which is necessary,and without that anything is impossible..govt is projecting only trivandrum and kochi.
This forum is meant for any type of development activities happening in ur home city or the city u r living.So even though these skyscrapers are a big pollution problem,its a showpeace for a city which is happening,this may help our cities in some way i guess to develop and show tat its really happening... so do sent pics of kannur .

Last edited by sanjupalayat; September 29th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #54
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Sanju, let me say a few words very well knowing that this forum is not primarily meant for that. Regarding balanced development, Kerala is well off when compared with other indian states.

We have been saying about Govt neglect towards Malabar. But the thing is that most of the chief ministers and strong members in the coalition parties were all from Malabar area, isn't it? Whenever UDF is in power the Industrial Minister would be from IUML which is calicut based. Even in LDF ministry, Elamaram Karim is the industrial minister.

I was working with KINFRA earlier (2001). Industrial Parks are planned and started by KINFRA with almost equal representation to South, Central and North Kerala. KINFRA Food processing Park (KIFPRO), Kinfra Information Technology and Electronics Park (KITEL) were started at the same time as were the Export Promotion Industrial Park (KEPIP) and KITEL (the name was changed to Infopark and handed over to IT Mission later) at Cochin. In Trivandrum there was Technopark, Film & Video Park and International Apparel Park. The basic infra provided and the marketing support by Govt is the same for all parks. But in due course of time, some parks grow bigger due to locational advantages or higher investor confidence.

Regarding the Railways and Roads, the Trivandrum-Cochin-Palakkad sector had an advantage being the link to the Capital at the southern most end from outside Kerala thro the Commercial and Port city of Cochin. Even then, Doubling of railway lines in entire Kerala is almost over/ progressing. Same case with electrification. Once doubling is fully over, we can expect electrification in malabar also. Compare this with TN. Barring the main line to Kerala through Coimbatore, most of it is still single, unelectrified and with metre gauge lines. Double lines stop some 100kms outside chennai and then through the whole of central and southern tamilnadu thro Trichi, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari, it is still single, unelectrified lines.

Tourism in Tiru-Kochi area flourished primarily due to private initiatives. Kovalam became an international attraction even from 1970s not because of any Govt intervention. Once tourism picked up, several international chains landed in Kovalam-Alleppey-Kochi sector. Now Govt is giving special attention to tourism in Malabar so that a balanced development is attained.

May be certain socio-relegious-demographical patterns also contribute to the difference in overall social and economic development. Central Travancore districts like Pathanamthitta or Kottayam top the socio demographic indices while districts like Malappuram lag behind. Even there is difference between the NRI population also.

Above all these, we can say that development is not much skewed in Kerala when comparison with other states.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #55
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

That may be true. But for a state like kerala where the total population is more evenly distributed all over the state any sort of imbalance should not have occurred. We can see in most of the other states majority of the population is concentrated in or around the metro cities. But in Kerala only a very less amount of ppl live in the major cities. Even the population density is pretty same in all districts. It just decrease from coastal area to hilly area. So the development pattern should be similar but its not whats happening. If some development start from the capital it will take 10-15 years to reach the northernmost district. How many ppl in Kerala think that there is district named Kasargod in Kerala. Actually now the 50th anniversary is being celebrated and can anybody say what kerala has given to kasargod in the past 50 years. Obviously nothing. Now the ppl from south canara district in Karnataka is demanding the separation of Kasargod from Kerala and to add it up with Karanataka. They even demand for a tulu state with mangalore as acapital. How can we say no to them? This is the same thing that had happened with Kanyakumari in Travancore-Cochin state.
And about politicians we know what they do after we sent them to the assembly. They are good for nothing.
Neglect towards malabar is a truth. Its easy to say there is nothing like that and show 1 or 2 examples . That is the same tone of Mr. Balu or Mr. Velu or any other union minister when they say anything abt neglect towards Kerala.
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #56
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

@ Kidu - I agree with you on the fact that the development of northern Kerala has lagged behind that of the South. But there are a variety of factors at work here.

Firstly, it has to be accepted that the major urban areas of Kerala are Trivandrum and Cochin. Trivandrum was the first major city in the State and the first to develop modern amenities, under the Travancore Maharajas. Cochin followed as it had the best natural harbour in the State. Each of these urban agglomerations account for around 1.5-2 million people each and together with the adjoining regions - TRIDA and GCDA - amount to as much as 20-25% of the State's population.

Like in any other State, this head start helped the Southern districts gallop ahead in terms of development. Saying that development has to be uniform is nonsensical, even if it is a ideal state of existence. Development simply does not happen along district lines. This is the reason that there is a Mumbai or a Chennai or a Bangalore and not a uniform distribution of development. Once a business cluster reaches a critical mass, it gains a momentum of its own.

Malabar also had the longest and strongest association with the colonial power, being a part of Mysore State for a long time. Travancore and Cochin were much more independent, especially the former. This helped improve the human development situation in these areas, especially in terms of education, health and social emancipation. The benefits of these are felt to these days.

Finally, like Sudheesh pointed out, the majority of Kerala's leaders - be it UDF or LDF - hail from Northern Kerala, including most of the State's CMs. If development has still not happened, these gentlemen need to take the blame.

The current Government is trying to do its bit - in tourism and IT - and this needs to be appreciated. The comment about Calicut airport is incorrect. AAI has recently completed a major expansion project there. However, it has to be accepted that it has much lower volumes than those at Trivandrum or Cochin. Despite this, GoK is promoting an airport at nearby Kannur. To draw on your point about nearby airports at Tvm and Cochin, Calicut and Kannur airports will be equally close, not to mention the proximity of the international airports at Bangalore and Mangalore.

Let's keep politics out of this forum, gentlemen. I suggest we look forward to and monitor the major planned and ongoing developments in the region. As the old, old saying goes, there is no use crying over spilt milk.

Last edited by Ajaypp; May 7th, 2007 at 07:27 AM.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #57
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
However, it has to be accepted that it has much lower volumes than those at Trivandrum or Cochin.
ajay i dont think wat u said i right...i think calicut airport is having almost same volumes as trivandrum airport...if i am wrong please clarify my mistake with solid proof... cochin may have higher volume than any other airports in kerala...plz clarify...
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #58
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjupalayat View Post
ajay i dont think wat u said i right...i think calicut airport is having almost same volumes as trivandrum airport...if i am wrong please clarify my mistake with solid proof... cochin may have higher volume than any other airports in kerala...plz clarify...

Please see the latest traffic news [for feb] from AAI

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/traf.../TRFEB2007.pdf
robin_a_p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #59
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Kozhikode is also a major urban area in Kerala. Population of Tvm UA is just 889,635 and kozhikode UA its 880,247. Will the difference of mere 9000 make one major and another minor? Also kozhikode has a better population growth rate. Kozhikode is one among the first muncipalities in Kerala. About 1.4 crore ppl of malabar depends directly or indirectly on this city. There is mumbai, chennai or bangalore in other states but can you compare kochi or tvm with them? And dont even dream they will become comparable bcos thats not going to happen due to the geographical characteristics of Kerala. And abt TRIDA and GCDA if govt has a will power then they could have defined such a region and authority for development around calicut also. But it wont happen due to the step mother attitude towards malabar. Its the lack of govt will power which turned down the existing devopment authorities useless. As the malabar chamber of commerce and north malabar chamber of commerce says there is a strong lobbying from the southern region which drives away any sort of development from malabar. Politicians from malabar usually falls pray of this type of lobbying. About kannur airport I dont think any body from south kerala is interested in that project. Whereas we can see all kerala MPs standing up for vizhinjam sea port. A few days back a fellow from central travancore said that FOKANA's airport at aranmula will complete before kannur airport. I honestly didn't understand whats the point of such a competitive attitude in his words.
It was during the british reign that malabar was developing in a much faster pace. Thats how calicut, kannur, thalassery and palakkad became muncipalities in 1860s. Thats why the first railway line in kerala was started in malabar region. Beypore, calicut, kannur, thalassery etc were the major ports. Roads from calicut to mysore through wayanad, calicut to nilgiris, tellicherry to coorg and tellicherry to wayanad etc were constructed. They were going to construct railways from thalassery to mysore and from nilambur to mysore. We can see that survey stones even now. If india hadnt became independent they might have constucted that also. The development of malabar region hasn't moved any further from that point. Once kerala state was constituted the capital and thus the development went away to 400-500 kms. I was not the one who started discussin abt politics here. The milk is still spilling. I dont think its going to stop in the future also.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #60
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 351

kidu

Please dont take me wrong, but honestly i cant see the sense in a state like kerala having 5 airports. Kannur is < 100 km from Calicut airport and it beats me why they must build another one in kannur. And now someone is talking about a new one in Aranmula????!!! Mindblowing...It is the taxpayers money going into the drain, which could have well been utilised for developing the roads or other BASIC infrastructure.

tell me, is the airport the first priority in malabar? Kannur can well gain from calicut developing on par wit Mangalore or Bangalore. Constructing an IT Park or something on that lines will do North malabar more good than an Airport. also good road-rail network to Bangalore, Mangalore, Cochin and Coimbatore.
i feel that is the need of the hour
scorpiogenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote