search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #61
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidu View Post
Kozhikode is also a major urban area in Kerala. Population of Tvm UA is just 889,635 and kozhikode UA its 880,247. Will the difference of mere 9000 make one major and another minor? Also kozhikode has a better population growth rate.
Dear Kidu, no one disputes that Calicut is the third city of Kerala. Now, the story of how the urban agglomeration of Trivandrum was measured in 2001 - excluding even the closest suburbs of the city - is moot. And anyways, the debate here is not about which city is bigger or more economically important. The district-wise GDP figures establish that quite comprehensively.

Trivandrum, for example, has only a single minister representing it in the State cabinet, while Malabar has a whole host as well as senior members of the CPM, including the all-powerful State Secretary. If one still argues that they ignore this fact and claim nothing is being done, then one should admit that it is no one's fault but those the elected representatives and the people who elected them.

And in no way can the present GoK be accused of not doing enough for Malabar. On any given day, there is atleast one announcement about a project in Malabar - be it tourism in Wayanad/Bekal, IT in Calicut or the Kannur Airport. The other day, there was a lot of discussion about a possible petrochemical complex in Kasargode.

As the AAI statistics will show, Trivandrum Airport has much higher traffic volumes and is growing faster than Calicut. Yet, GoK is spending all its effort on developing Kannur airport just a short distance away. It is working on acquiring 2000 acres for the project while the acquisition of just 100 acres of the Trivandrum Airport has been pending for 3-4 years. The IT development of Calicut - the proposed Cyberpark - is being spearheaded by Technopark and it is firms from Trivandrum like US Tech, IBS and NEST who have promised the first investment there. So, there is no parochialism here. In fact, if there is indeed any lobbying, it will come from much closer quarters than Trivandrum. From places, where the growth of Malabar will be felt as a direct economic threat.

I also feel that the one of the main reasons that development is deadlocked here is due to the comparitive shortage of skilled manpower and the relative poverty caused due to the rapidly expanding population. The latter needs to be brought in check first, especially in districts like Malappuram and Wayanad, else things will get worser and worser. Malabar also needs to rediscover its maritime history by developing minor ports like Beypur, Thankassery and so on as soon as possible. With its proximity to Bangalore, S. Karnataka and N. Tamilnadu, the region could become a maritime gateway for trade. The same can be said of tourism, where Malabar has the potential to become the third hub in the State, after Kovalam and Munnar-Kumarakom.

Rather than complaining about our lot, as is common these days, it will be much more effective if all of us take pro-active steps to usher in development. Else, all we will have is a lot of unanswered complaint but no progress.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #62
Binoj_viswam
kollamBinoj

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I dont think kannur is growing in fast pace as it needs to be. Not just kannur whole malabar shows a slow paced development when compared with southern kerala.
Kidu,
Ur statements are completely baseless and i think u have a misconception that entire South kerala is growing very fast compared to North kerala. U might have heard a lot abt Technopark, Infopark, Technocity, Smart city etc. And then u suddenly assumed entire south-cental kerala From TVM to Palakkad is developing. And u r so much worried that ur city or area which u hail from is not developing at all.

Hey man u r totally wrong. I can say this because i hail from south Kerala, much more specific , am from Kollam. If u have seen these kollam, Allapeey, Pathanam Thitta and kottayam and it's towns u might have not told this. The infrastructures of these cities are dismal. And abt industries, there is no industry in kollam that u can name. At least kannur has some industries.

And if I say something abt my city, Kollam should have one of the Industrial hub of south India. It has large deposit many rare minerals. It has a natural port.(Was one of the oldest port in India). It has one of the largest fish breeding sea bases in the world. It shud have been hub of cashew nut processing in India. However nothing is happening. And kollam is just a dustbin.

And abt kottayam and pathanamthitta, it has large rubber cultivation and should have been made hub rubber based industries.

The infrastructure is very poor in these areas. No Govt has done justice to these places

Yes, i agree South Kerala is comparatively developed, that’s not because of Govt Initiatives, but due to Rubber and of course in central kerala due to the influence of large expatriates US and Europe (They were better being paid compared to expatriates from Gulf.)

All the hype u heard abt is just centered in and around TVM and kochi. Of course I agree Kochi has natural location advantage and has business minded people. It also has better political climate. In TVM, there are many organizations Like City dev forum, Residential Orgs crying for more development even after getting the lion share of development. They are (not the common man in TVM but so called city lovers)more jealous abt anything happening outside their territory.

I agree North kerala should also develop. Govt should take immediate steps for that. However in my opinion, entire kerala should develop.

The main problem with North Kerala is too much politics. Even in development; politics is really playing harmful to the region.

Last edited by Binoj_viswam; May 8th, 2007 at 07:45 AM.
Binoj_viswam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #63
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 809

Hi all,

These debates can go on till eternity.....I think we should stop now for the time being... lets concentrate on highlighting the projects in Kannur and North Malabar. probably we can start a new thread in chaibar section to discuss internal development imbalances in kerala..
robin_a_p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #64
Binoj_viswam
kollamBinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiogeni View Post
kidu

Please don’t take me wrong, but honestly i cant see the sense in a state like kerala having 5 airports. Kannur is < 100 km from Calicut airport and it beats me why they must build another one in kannur.
Please understand that 50% people hu use Mangalore Airport is from North kerala, expecially those from Kasarkode and then from kannur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaypp View Post
As the AAI statistics will show, Trivandrum Airport has much higher traffic volumes and is growing faster than Calicut. Yet, GoK is spending all its effort on developing Kannur airport just a short distance away.
The growth rate is high In TVM airport, i do agree, but number of passengers using Calicut airport at present is more than that in TVM airport. So the profit too. In TVM, the presence of secretariat and being center of political activities, traffic is just growing. Yes also with the tourist and IT professionals working in Other Major IT hubs and Techno park. Calicut does not have all these (Dis)advantages now,(NO major tourist site is developed, no IT park, Not a political hub) still having good traffic

Also the Demand for an airport in Kannur is not new or from present Govt. It’s a very old demand and considering % of people(From these places) working in other countries and in other states, the demand is genuine and shud be supported whole heartedly.

Last edited by Binoj_viswam; May 8th, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #65
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_a_p View Post
Hi all,

These debates can go on till eternity.....I think we should stop now for the time being... lets concentrate on highlighting the projects in Kannur and North Malabar. probably we can start a new thread in chaibar section to discuss internal development imbalances in kerala..
Agree totally on this! Let's discuss development and project news here, guys.

Btw, Binoj - TIA has 60% more traffic than Calicut according to the latest AAI statistics - http://www.aai.aero/traffic_news/feb2k7annex3.pdf - and the gap is widening. And one can't account for the rapid growth of traffic at TIA citing Govt. employees or...rubber! The key drivers are, as you mentioned, tourism, IT and the general prosperity of the region. And I am big time in favour of an airport at Kannur, especially considering the tourism prospects, the expat population and the Haj pilgrimage. Let's look forward to Kerala's 4th international airport.

Cheers!
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #66
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

Quote:
Let's look forward to Kerala's 4th international airport.
Cheers!
There was a news that leela group is interested in Kannur airport... Any update on that front.. Have they finalized their plans?.. Any update on how big the airport will be? status of land acquisition?. probably some pics of the proposed land???
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #67
godman

Likes (Received): 39

If population is the criteria to measure the largest city, then Malappuram is the largest city in Kerala.

Quote:
Kozhikode is also a major urban area in Kerala. Population of Tvm UA is just 889,635 and kozhikode UA its 880,247. Will the difference of mere 9000 make one major and another minor? Also kozhikode has a better population growth rate. Kozhikode is one among the first muncipalities in Kerala. About 1.4 crore ppl of malabar depends directly or indirectly on this city. There is mumbai, chennai or bangalore in other states but can you compare kochi or tvm with them? And dont even dream they will become comparable bcos thats not going to happen due to the geographical characteristics of Kerala. And abt TRIDA and GCDA if govt has a will power then they could have defined such a region and authority for development around calicut also. But it wont happen due to the step mother attitude towards malabar. Its the lack of govt will power which turned down the existing devopment authorities useless. As the malabar chamber of commerce and north malabar chamber of commerce says there is a strong lobbying from the southern region which drives away any sort of development from malabar. Politicians from malabar usually falls pray of this type of lobbying. About kannur airport I dont think any body from south kerala is interested in that project. Whereas we can see all kerala MPs standing up for vizhinjam sea port. A few days back a fellow from central travancore said that FOKANA's airport at aranmula will complete before kannur airport. I honestly didn't understand whats the point of such a competitive attitude in his words.
It was during the british reign that malabar was developing in a much faster pace. Thats how calicut, kannur, thalassery and palakkad became muncipalities in 1860s. Thats why the first railway line in kerala was started in malabar region. Beypore, calicut, kannur, thalassery etc were the major ports. Roads from calicut to mysore through wayanad, calicut to nilgiris, tellicherry to coorg and tellicherry to wayanad etc were constructed. They were going to construct railways from thalassery to mysore and from nilambur to mysore. We can see that survey stones even now. If india hadnt became independent they might have constucted that also. The development of malabar region hasn't moved any further from that point. Once kerala state was constituted the capital and thus the development went away to 400-500 kms. I was not the one who started discussin abt politics here. The milk is still spilling. I dont think its going to stop in the future also.
godman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #68
Binoj_viswam
kollamBinoj

Quote:
Btw, Binoj - TIA has 60% more traffic than Calicut according ....................
of traffic at TIA citing Govt. employees or...rubber! The key drivers are, as you mentioned, tourism, IT and the general prosperity of the region.
Cheers!
Hello MR Ajay, I never told that Govt. employees or...rubber is some reasons for hight traffic growth , but a lot of politicians now travelling by air.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #69
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binoj_viswam View Post
Hello MR Ajay, I never told that Govt. employees or...rubber is some reasons for hight traffic growth , but a lot of politicians now travelling by air.
Lol, Binoj, TIA handles about 2 million = 2,000,000 passengers annually and is growing at about 36%. Realistically, how many of those would be politicians, considering we have about 200-odd MLAs, MPs and major netas? Jezz kidding!

Robin - The Government has planned to acquire about 2,000 acres for the airport. Land acquisition is yet to begin. Both the Leela Group and KPP Nambiar had expressed keen interest in the project, but the model for the current project has not been finalised.

It could be a PPP type setup, however GoK has already approached MoCA & AAI, so it could also be an AAI airport or a hybrid model. Hopefully, more details will be available in the coming weeks and months.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #70
Binoj_viswam
kollamBinoj

Quote:
Hi all,

These are Latest News abt Kannur Airport

Kannur Airport will be implemented soon, said Defence Minister A K Antony. The minister said, "With the execution of the airport, there will be progress in tourism and commercial sectors. There won't be any delay in getting permission once procedures including acquisition of land are completed.
Read On here...
http://www.keralaonline.com/news/news.php?news=2461
The Kerala government announced that 2,000 acres of land would be identified in Kannur for an international airport - the fourth in the state, with the centre having given its nod to the project.

"Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (Kinfra) will be appointed as the nodal agency for making the Kannur airport a reality. Moreover, we have seen to it that 2,000 acres of land are identified near Kannur for the airport," Achuthanandan told reporters after a cabinet meeting.

The state government has been working on the project after central Aviation Minister Praful Patel said in January this year that the airport would be sanctioned.

Read On here...
http://www.keralaonline.com/news/news.php?news=2283

Quote:
Lol, Binoj, TIA handles about 2 million = 2,000,000 passengers annually and is growing at about 36%. Realistically, how many of those would be politicians, considering we have about 200-odd MLAs, MPs and major netas?
Ajay Let take this offline or in some other forum. But like to add one thing..

2,000,000 passengers travelled in a YR means 2,000,000 people travelled? Man i have travelled more than 6 times thru TVM and twice thru Cochin. Each time i am a passenger

Last edited by Binoj_viswam; May 8th, 2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #71
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Likes (Received): 2956

binoj,ajay,kidu plz try to stop this debate... i think kerala development is more or less balanced..when we say malappuram is lagging behind..its far better than other districts in our neighbouring states... i think its ranked 15or 16 among the ranking of districts on development basis with all other districts in kerala on top ranks..i dont remember the source which i have read this...but it will be fair for all of us to stop this debate here...
sanjupalayat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #72
sanjupalayat
Calicut

so no more coments.... trivandrum is trivandrum....cochin is cochin and calicut is calicut...each city is unique...no more comparisons....
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #73
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 5829

OK sanju. Atleast we got to know that all these guys were reading this thread.

Kannur airport is needed because the distance btween calicut and mangalore airports is 250 Km whereas between calicut and nedumbassery its just around 130 Km. So ppl from kannur has to travel more than 2:30 hours to reach any of the airport. But ppl from all other districts except pathanamthitta have airport in their own district or in the neighbouring district. So anybody can understand why there is a demand for new airports in kerala.
Aslesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #74
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Muzhappilangad Drive In Beach. This beach is 4 Kms long and is the only official drive in beach in asia. Muzhappingad is on the NH-17 in between Thalassery(6kms) and Kannur(14kms)

Old May 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #75
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Here is the beautiful lonely Meenkunnu beach. It is 6 kms away from Kannur and is not crowded like kannur payyambalam beach. This beach is also 4 kms long (but not drive-in ) on the way to azhikkal port.

A view from the meenkunnu cliff
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #76
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

- Awesome beaches! Gotta try that drive-on one!
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #77
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Dharmadam island near muzhappilangad beach. During low tide you can walk to this island through the sea. (The island is a private property)
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #78
sanjupalayat
Calicut

tat pic is really awesome kidu..think we dont have to go to goa etc for beaches..when we have it in out home state...
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #79
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

amazing... can u provide more details of this spot... how far is it from city? are there any resorts near by?

Quote:
Dharmadam island near muzhappilangad beach. During low tide you can walk to this island through the sea. (The island is a private property)
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #80
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Quote:
amazing... can u provide more details of this spot... how far is it from city? are there any resorts near by?
Beaches in this region are all most virgin as far tourism sector is concerned. There are no resorts available in dharamadam (in my knowledge). Thalassery is 6kms and kannur is 15 kms away. Also the island is a private property. So permission may be required if u want to "enter" the island. (Although I remember in my teenage days we used to enter there without any permisson. ) So its upto ur risk if u just want to watch the island from the beach or take up the adventure and walk to it. Anyways visit to the thalassery region is always worthwhile since mahe is nearby.