search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #101
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakrishna View Post
I agree. But they've not considered Changanasseri and Piravam road railway stations also.
But this is a decision take by the central Govt. and not by the Communist led state govt.
Sakrishna - there is such a thing as priority in the case of any project where the demand outweighs available resources. There will be a top-down prioritisation and the most important stations will get picked up first. And these are just passenger amenities, lol, not truely world-class improvments.
And you may realise, the current Govt. has done more for improvement of the Railways than any other, the only other comparable period is during the tenure of Sri. O. Rajagopal as Minister of State for Railways.

Quote:
suppose our kerala govt. had a separate minister for railways (other than Vijayakumar. he's too busy with port related developments). Then he/she would have considered the development of all the railway stations in kerala except those in Central travancore.
That's counter-factual since Mr. Vijayakumar has facilitated many projects including the line-doubling work, surveys for new lines, broad guage conversion, extensive passenger amenity upgradation at important stations and the major projects at Trivandrum and Kochuveli in addition to the advent of MEMU services. As you said, there is only so much a Minister in the State can do with a Central Govt. organisation other than facilitation.

Quote:
Also, It was stated by velu that Kayankulam-Kottayam-Ernakulam doubling work will take another 3 years to complete. Ppl from other districts are not willing to travel by trains passing by Kottayam. Reason - It takes more than 3 1/2 hours to cross this route. Even superfast trains move like snail in this route.tanx to too many crossings etc.
It is to be understood that other than the work on the tunnels near Kottayam junction, the greatest obstacle to the doubling project is resistance to land acquisition and the use of external labour. I suppose the people of the district should decide whether to part with some of their land for the greater good. And yes, fast trains take less than 1.5 hours to cross Kottayam, in fact even trains through Kottayam (like the Sabari Exp) take about 4 hours 20 minutes for the Tvm - Ekm stretch compared to an average of 4 hours 5 minutes via Alleppey (Netravathi). An extra 15 minutes alone will not condemn Kottayam to ignominy, I am sure you will agree.

Cheers!
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #102
beam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
suppose our kerala govt. had a separate minister for railways (other than Vijayakumar. he's too busy with port related developments). Then he/she would have considered the development of all the railway stations in kerala except those in Central travancore.

Also, It was stated by velu that Kayankulam-Kottayam-Ernakulam doubling work will take another 3 years to complete.
I think there is seriously high level of resistance from local people in Kottayam district followed by Ernakulam and Idukki districts in parting with their lands for railway development.

Local people have to be made aware of the fruits of new railway lines and railway doubling works as they seem to give more importance to the issue of parting with their land. Local politicians of kottayam seem to have failed to bring in a consensus with local people on rail development. If not taken care urgently, the potential of kottayam doubling project can get delayed endlessly.

Please go through below news reports mentioning stiff land aquisition problems for railway development works in Kottayam/Ernakulam/Idukki districts.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0850721400.htm

‘Focus on revenues is important’

T. E. Raja Simhan

Sitting in front of a huge photograph of Mahatma Gandhi alighting from a train, the Southern Railway’s General Manager, Mr Rakesh Chopra, speaks like an entrepreneur.

Excerpts from the interview:

On infrastructure development

There was a change in contract management and contracting methods for capital expansion works. Big companies such as Maytas and Larsen & Toubro are now actively participating in large projects.

The Railway Ministry has sanctioned doubling 1,109 km of track at a cost of Rs 3,333 crore. This year, Rs 358 crore has been set aside for doubling works. And we have completed 380 km of doubling.

The Railway would have been able to achieve far more had there been greater assistance from the Kerala government in acquiring land for doubling the Ernakulam-Kayankulam section.
---------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/11/stor...1160541100.htm

Sabari rail project faces stiff opposition

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: With land acquisition for the Sabari rail project running into rough weather and the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) terming the project as “unviable and superfluous,” pressure is mounting on Railways to abandon the Rs. 550-crore project aimed at bringing Sabarimala onto the railway map of the country.

The Natural Ecological and Public Interest Local Residents Protection Association and Karshaka Raksha Samithy, among others are, on the warpath to scrap the 130-km Sabari railway line from Angamali to Azhutha.

The line goes through Ernakulam, Idukki and Kottayam districts and covers 22 panchayats and four municipalities.

As many as seven panchayats in Kottayam and Karimkunnam panchayat in Idukki have passed resolutions demanding that the project be abandoned.

The legislators from Kottayam have opposed the project at a meeting convened by Kerala Minister for Railways M. Vijayakumar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by beam; December 19th, 2008 at 06:56 AM.
beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #103
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 8020

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam View Post
I think there is seriously high level of resistance from local people in Kottayam district followed by Ernakulam and Idukki districts in parting with their lands for railway development.

Local people have to be made aware of the fruits of new railway lines and railway doubling works as they seem to give more importance to the issue of parting with their land. Local politicians of kottayam seem to have failed to bring in a consensus with local people on rail development. If not taken care urgently, the potential of kottayam doubling project can get delayed endlessly.

Sabari rail project faces stiff opposition

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: With land acquisition for the Sabari rail project running into rough weather and the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) terming the project as “unviable and superfluous,” pressure is mounting on Railways to abandon the Rs. 550-crore project aimed at bringing Sabarimala onto the railway map of the country.

The Natural Ecological and Public Interest Local Residents Protection Association and Karshaka Raksha Samithy, among others are, on the warpath to scrap the 130-km Sabari railway line from Angamali to Azhutha.

The line goes through Ernakulam, Idukki and Kottayam districts and covers 22 panchayats and four municipalities.

As many as seven panchayats in Kottayam and Karimkunnam panchayat in Idukki have passed resolutions demanding that the project be abandoned.

The legislators from Kottayam have opposed the project at a meeting convened by Kerala Minister for Railways M. Vijayakumar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quite a pity that the people of Central travancore are aginst the Sabari railway project. Sabarimala is filling a good amount of money (Infact the highest from a pilgrimmage ceter) to the Kerala Eschequer, but could not get a Railway line to ease the passenger difficulties. See the development in Tirupathy. There is even an airport nearby. Same case with Puttaparthy Sai Aashram.

I suggest a Railway line from Kottarakara or Punalur to connect Sabarimala as already an existing rail line is there from Tamil Nadu connecting Kollam passing through Kottarakara and Punalur. Trains from other parts of India can come through Tamil Nadu and can go to Sabarimala through Kottarakkara or Punalur.

In the meantime, since the Kollam Punalur Braud Gauge is going to be opened in March 2009, I suggest the railways to start operating more trains from Kollam to other parts of India for the Sabarimala pilgrims through this route as they can visit all the temples enroute to Sabarimala if they alight at Kottarakara or Punalur or even Kundara.

Last edited by Reghu; December 19th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #104
kollam_illam
BANNED

Nobody wanted to give up their land/house/building for development. Y cant govt take my neighbour's land. Its as simple as that.
They are not againt this project but opposing present alignment
kollam_illam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #105
sakrishna
BANNED

Sabari Rail Project

It is a fact that Sabari railway project is facing stiff opposition from the locals. I already mentioned that the proposed line passes through ecologically sensitive areas. Kottayam district doen't have much area under forest cover. This line will also affect the Periyar Tiger reserve etc.
I think it's better to consider Chengannur Pampa railway line. It'll connect more areas in PTA district with the national rail network. This line will be shorter than Angamali - Sabari railway line also.
Also, if Chengannur-Sabari railway line materialises, even then Kottayam railways station won't lose its importance. Being the biggest and most important station in C.T., most of the special trains to Sabarimala will orginate/terminate at Kottayam only. Passenger trains will also ply bw Kottayam and Sabarimala, I hope so.

Also, once the doubling is over, Kottayam railway station will have 3 more platforms. So, I hope few trains which originate/terminate at Ernakulam will be extended to Kottayam. This will also decongest Ernakula Jn. railways station to a small extant.

If Angamali-Sabari railway line becomes a reality, I fear that Chengannur and Kottayam stations will lose their importance.
sakrishna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #106
sakrishna
BANNED

Quote:
I suppose the people of the district should decide whether to part with some of their land for the greater good. And yes, fast trains take less than 1.5 hours to cross Kottayam, in fact even trains through Kottayam (like the Sabari Exp) take about 4 hours 20 minutes for the Tvm - Ekm stretch compared to an average of 4 hours 5 minutes via Alleppey (Netravathi). An extra 15 minutes alone will not condemn Kottayam to ignominy, I am sure you will agree

Many of my friends don't like to tavel through Kottayam route due to the following reasons.

1. Extra 15 kms
2. More stops, even for express and superfast trains, than ALP route.
3. SINGLE LINE, overloaded track due to more daily trains, hence too many crossings, so it's taking too much time.

I'll tell you an example- After Maveli express via Alleppey becam a daily train, many of my friends from Malabar travel only by Maveli.
So, Malabar express lost its importance. Malabar 'express' and old Kannur express have too many stops compared to Maveli. So these are not so profit making trains. Also, ppl from south and central Keralaa districts don't prefer to go via Kottayam.

Similarly, Vanchinad is also facing a stiff competition from Intercity -It's counterpart via ALP.

Even Janshatabdi runs via Alappuzha. Now, Many of the important trains run via ALP.

I think while deciding the allignment of Kottayam - Kayamkulam route 50 years back, the engineers should've considered direct Kottayam-Changanasseri - Kayamkulam route. But this would've left out Chengannur.

Net result - ALP line is 15kms shorter than KTM line.

So, for Kottayam station not to lose it's importance, Kottayam - Madurail railway line should become a reality.

But I'm damn sure, ppl of KTM won't get justice from present/any of the future Govt.s
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #107
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
It is a fact that Sabari railway project is facing stiff opposition from the locals. I already mentioned that the proposed line passes through ecologically sensitive areas. Kottayam district doen't have much area under forest cover. This line will also affect the Periyar Tiger reserve etc.
I think it's better to consider Chengannur Pampa railway line. It'll connect more areas in PTA district with the national rail network. This line will be shorter than Angamali - Sabari railway line also.
Also, if Chengannur-Sabari railway line materialises, even then Kottayam railways station won't lose its importance. Being the biggest and most important station in C.T., most of the special trains to Sabarimala will orginate/terminate at Kottayam only. Passenger trains will also ply bw Kottayam and Sabarimala, I hope so.

Also, once the doubling is over, Kottayam railway station will have 3 more platforms. So, I hope few trains which originate/terminate at Ernakulam will be extended to Kottayam. This will also decongest Ernakula Jn. railways station to a small extant.

If Angamali-Sabari railway line becomes a reality, I fear that Chengannur and Kottayam stations will lose their importance.
But the question regarding more platforms is that "Is there enough space in Kottayam Station to construct 3 more platforms? There will be stiff opposition for acquiring land to the station as well. Kottayam station should have enough space atleast that of Kayamkulam to have more trains originating and terminationg from there. I do not see any ways for that.

Regarding, Sabarimala Railwayline - It should not depend on Kottayam or Kollam or Angamali station's importance. It is a great and holy pilgrimmage center visited by crores of people. We need a railway network to that holy place at any cost with any route.

I suggest the Kottarakkara - Sabarimala or Punalur - Sabarimala rail line as these stations are already connected to Tamil Nadu and Kollam Junction.

Last edited by Reghu; December 19th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #108
kollam_illam
BANNED

Only one solution is constructing an railway line thru a bridge connecting Ankamali and azhutha
Chengannur is not at all possible and oppsiotion wud be worser than present case due to the fact that chengannur belt is densily populated
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #109
beam

Quote:
I disagree. All the important trains like Kerala , Island , Sabari express etc. pass through Kottayam only. In future more long distance trains will continue to pass via Kottayam provided doubling is complete. Otherwise, the new trains will run via Allappuzha, as you know Alappuzha doubling also going in parallel.

Sabarimala trains are mainly pilgrims and it may be better they go in a different route straight from angamaly to azutha or ranni. This way existing lines via Kottayam may be better utilised for regular long distance trains.
The whole azutha - angamaly project is funded by Railways.
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM   #110
sakrishna
BANNED

Quote:
posted by beam

The Railway would have been able to achieve far more had there been greater assistance from the Kerala government in acquiring land for doubling the Ernakulam-Kayankulam section.
See, now it's crystal clear that the state Govt. is not doing much for doubling via KTM and ALP.
Actually, when the EKM-ALP-KYM line construction began, simultaneously, they shud've taken up the doubling work ofEKM-KTM-KYM line. But the doubling of this line started in 2002 and not yet over means what? both UDF and LDF govt. hasn't done justice to ppl of C.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu

I suggest the Kottarakkara - Sabarimala or Punalur - Sabarimala rail line as these stations are already connected to Tamil Nadu and Kollam Junction.
Athu veno? njangalude (KTM and CHGNR) kanjkudi muttum. Njangal Pavangal jeevichu poykotte
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM   #111
beam

Quote:
See, now it's crystal clear that the state Govt. is not doing much for doubling via KTM and ALP.
Krishna, I disagree.

When local netas start supporting some agitating landowners not to part with their lands for railway works, how do you expect state government to acquire land smoothly on behalf of Railways?

It is sad there is growing tendency to oppose railway projects in the name of politics, ecology when forest land not touched upon and even on communal lines.

Please read an old news report below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Protest against rail routes gaining momentum
Thursday, Dec 25, 2003
By George Jacob

KOTTAYAM Dec. 24. Even as the Sabarimala pilgrimage is in full swing, two popular agitations against two different railway lines to Sabarimala are gaining momentum in the Central Travancore area.

The first one to hit the headlines was the one against the proposed Kottayam-Erumeli railway project.

Yet another agitation is brewing in the high ranges against the proposed Angamali-Sabari rail which is passing through the Ponkunnam-Kanjirappally area.

Interestingly, the agitators were receiving unprecedented political support, both from the LDF and the UDF, thanks to the ensuing parliamentary elections. Leaders in this area know well that the first victim of the Sabari rail was Ramesh Chennithala, former MP from Kottayam who lost the elections mainly because of the antipathy of the people against the railway line.

Meanwhile, the entry of Hindu Aikya Vedi into the scene has complicated the picture. They have given a communal tint to the whole issue and said they would organise a mass movement to fight against the ongoing agitation against the Sabari rail as the railway line was the dream of lakhs of Sabarimala pilgrims.

More at
http://www.hindu.com/2003/12/25/stor...2506980500.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It is high time the local people and their elected representatives of Kottayam take initiative jointly to make aware concerned landowners of the greater benefit that additional railway lines bring in to the state.

Last edited by beam; December 21st, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM   #112
beam

Quote:
But the doubling of this line started in 2002 and not yet over means what? both UDF and LDF govt. hasn't done justice to ppl of C.T.
Mainly land aquisition related delays. I heard that for many stretches like Mulanturuti-Kurupantara, Kurupantara- Chingavanam and Chingavanam-Chengannur, land aquisition problems there.

People either dont want to part or willing to part their land at market price. In general market price consists of half in white and half in black. Government can give previous transacted white value only. So the people have to be willing to sacrifice the black money part of the amount for the sake of railway development instead of fighting against it in courts etc. God only knows when such awareness comes onto such people and when the politicians stop interfering in such petty things for getting some extra votes.
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM   #113
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
Actually, when the EKM-ALP-KYM line construction began, simultaneously, they shud've taken up the doubling work ofEKM-KTM-KYM line. But the doubling of this line started in 2002 and not yet over means what? both UDF and LDF govt. hasn't done justice to ppl of C.T.

Athu veno? njangalude (KTM and CHGNR) kanjkudi muttum. Njangal Pavangal jeevichu poykotte
Sai, that is the only option to connect Sabarimala with Tami Nadu with a much lesser distance and less expenditure as far as investment is concerned. I do not think there will be enough protest as far as land acquistion is concerned as against the protest from Kottayam side. Moreover, the stretch between Schencotta and Kottarakkara is full of forest, rivers and streams scenary (already rail line exists Kollam - Schencottah and no need for forest destruction) and ancient Ayyappa temples.

It is a perfect Sabarimala trip for all pilgrims from outside Kerala.

All should support this project irrespective of regionalism as we require a rail route that cnnect Sabarimala urgently.

I have provided a couple of posts regarding the route structure (courtesy Hindu daily) in the Kollam thread.

Last edited by Reghu; December 21st, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:01 PM   #114
vinod/kakka

Likes (Received): 411

The line that Kerala needs..

I guess a lot of opposition to the Sabari lines is that Railways has said that it would be a stand alone line. It would be used only during the "season" for passenger services.

There have been a lot of small lines that have been proposed. What we need is a new north - south line. Combining various proposals to launch a Trivandrum - Nedumangaud - Punalur - Moovattupuzha - Ankamali (following SH-7) - Ankamali line, with later connections from Moovattupuzha to Ernakulam, and Allepey to Pala would take care of all heavy rail connectivity needs of southern Kerala for quite some time. Land acquisition will still be a problem, but people alongside the route will definitely see something that they can get back from such a line.
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #115
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 14

Sail sets foot in Kerala, plans new rolling mill

The Steel Authority of India has signed a joint venture agreement with the Kerala government undertaking Steel Complex Ltd, the only mini steel plant in the state. According to the agreement, Sail will subscribe to 50 per cent equity valued at Rs 8.30 crore in SCL and acquire management control of the company. The Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation will be the other major shareholder. This marks Sail's entry in the southern state.

Speaking to Projectmonitor, officials of Kozhikode-based SCL said that Sail would invest in setting up new facilities, besides upgrading the company's existing assets. A new 65,000 tpa rolling mill to produce TMT bars would be set up with an investment of Rs 50 crore at Feroke in Kozhikode (Calicut) district, in the vicinity of SCL's facilities. They further explained that steel billets would be supplied by SCL's existing electric arc furnace.

SCL has three furnaces out of which only one is operational. The current production of billets is around 2,200 tonnes per month that will not meet the entire demand of the proposed rolling mill, if it were to function in three shifts. Billets may have to be obtained from other sources until the in-house production is stepped up, they noted.

Kerala is expected to witness growth in the demand of TMT bars (a basic construction material) coming from mega projects like the Vizhinjam port, Vallarpadam container terminal and the Kannur airport, to name a few. Industry estimates that Kerala would need 1 lakh tonnes of TMT bars annually in the medium term.

Sail's investment in SCL can be construed as another step in its endeavour of setting up around 10 steel processing units in those states where it does not have presence. According to information available with Projectmonitor, eight such SPUs have so far been launched including three in Madhya Pradesh, one each in Uttar Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Bihar, among others.

Steel Complex backgrounder

Kerala's only mini steel plant, Steel Complex Ltd, was set up in 1969 as a joint venture between KSIDC and a private entrepreneur. Steel Complex Ltd began commercial operation in September 1973 with an installed capacity of 37,000 tpa. In 1979, KSIDC increased its holding in SCL, more as a revival measure, making it its subsidiary. In 1983, SCL undertook a major expansion adding a third EAF, taking total capacity to 55,000 tpa. SCL has not been a profit-making company, except during a brief period between 1984 and 1986. Sail's involvement in SCL was formalised in May this year, when an MoU for the proposed joint venture was signed between the steel ministry and the Kerala government.

Source: http://www.projectsmonitor.com/NEWPR...w-rolling-mill
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #116
kollam_illam
BANNED

Vote for the best city. There are 2 cities from kerala kochi and kozhikkode

http://specials.rediff.com/getahead/...to-live-in.htm
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #117
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 6045

Don't vote for it man. This poll is very poorly coded. Normal polls on the web wont allow you to vote more than once. But for this one you can vote for as many times you want. You can even keep pressing F5 to vote several times. Also some people are running scripts to cast automatic votes for their city. Kolkata is way ahead now. Votes for Kochi and Kozhikode are rising like a rocket. They should to cancel this poll.
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #118
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 473

Kerala is the next big IT destination

Dr Ajay Kumar, IAS, IT Secretary, Government of Kerala talks about the state’s potential and its strategic journey towards attaining superiority over its counterparts in the Information Technology arena.

vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #119
kollam_illam
BANNED

Aslesh, u r rt. but this might some branding for both cities
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #120
sakrishna
BANNED

Heera group's budget townships

Heera group will develop budget townships at Trivandrum, Kottayam, Kochi, Trichur, Calicut and Kannur.
In the 1st phase, townships will be developed @ TVM (Akkulam - 10 acres), Kochi (Kakkanad - 8 acres) and Kottayam (Kanjikkuzhi - 3.36 acre).