daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 8th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1761
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Breda<->'s-Hertogenbosch<->Eindhoven triangle
Posts: 19,537
Likes (Received): 5985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Yeah, and Italy has been detaining this record for a few decades by now, since construction work is never ending.
There are always projects coming and going.

Italy built more high-speed tunnels than any other European country last 20 years. Bologna-Firenze is almost entirely a 70km tunnel that gets not much recognition compared to the Gotthard and Lötschberg tunnels, despite being significantly more challenging in geological terms.

There is also the long tunnels between Salerno and Napoli, and other projects going around with city trunk underground lines like in Torino, Bologna and Firenze.


Quote:
Look at countries like Austria or Switzerland. Orography raises the cost of construction, yet they're able to get much more return on their investment, as their modal share is far higher. This is the result of succesful policies to cause a shift in mode.

In Italy there are no such policies.
Fuel in Italy costs more than in those countries, income is lower, insurance costs as least 50% more (and probably 200% more if you live in certain areas) for similar car and driver profile... costs of car motoring are very high in Italy, compared to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, especially if you adjust to wages-after-taxes.

As for orography, it plays a different whole. The Apennines are usually harder to excavate than the Alps. Moreover, Switzerland and Austria have gentle long valleys through which rail lines runs, Italy doens't have that luxury with few exceptions, and outside the Pianura Padana, in particular, it is impossible to build any high-performance rail in the hinterland unless massive tunneling is involved.

Quote:
Because of the recession and high petrol prices, not because of any advantage in using PT.
I don't udnerstand your obsession with car ownership. Car ownership is not that relevant, car usage would be a better indicator. People on richer countries might own cars, it is the pattern of use that counts.
__________________
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear and wrong."
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old September 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #1762
Stravinsky
Dans la rue !
 
Stravinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 630
Likes (Received): 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There are always projects coming and going.

Italy built more high-speed tunnels than any other European country last 20 years. Bologna-Firenze is almost entirely a 70km tunnel that gets not much recognition compared to the Gotthard and Lötschberg tunnels, despite being significantly more challenging in geological terms.

There is also the long tunnels between Salerno and Napoli, and other projects going around with city trunk underground lines like in Torino, Bologna and Firenze.
And, in fact, the TAV network is a good thing indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Fuel in Italy costs more than in those countries, income is lower, insurance costs as least 50% more (and probably 200% more if you live in certain areas) for similar car and driver profile... costs of car motoring are very high in Italy, compared to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, especially if you adjust to wages-after-taxes
Yet it has one of the highest motorization rates in the world. The failure of PT to attract users is, indeed, a failure. Not just a failure of realizing extensive networks, but also of providing a quality soft product, or enacting policies to stimulate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
As for orography, it plays a different whole. The Apennines are usually harder to excavate than the Alps. Moreover, Switzerland and Austria have gentle long valleys through which rail lines runs, Italy doens't have that luxury with few exceptions, and outside the Pianura Padana, in particular, it is impossible to build any high-performance rail in the hinterland unless massive tunneling is involved.
With an appropriate budget tunnelling can be done. I was previously criticizig a €10 billion motorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I don't udnerstand your obsession with car ownership. Car ownership is not that relevant, car usage would be a better indicator. People on richer countries might own cars, it is the pattern of use that counts.
Car ownership may lead to car usage, isn't it? However, it's a far easier figure to find.
__________________
Brontolo, Cucciolo, Dottolo, Eolo, Gongolo, Mammolo, Pisolo, Orgosolo

Last edited by Stravinsky; September 14th, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Stravinsky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #1763
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Breda<->'s-Hertogenbosch<->Eindhoven triangle
Posts: 19,537
Likes (Received): 5985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Car ownership may lead to car usage, isnt'it? However, it's a far easier figure to find.
The problem is that you ascribe to extreme views that people shouldn't own cars.

Many people who own cars will also use public transport for trips where it is convenient. Most people are not ideologically against cars, neither are them going to use car for every trip just because they own it.

Example: here in Netherlands, the majority of cyclists above age 21 live in households that own 1 or more cars. That doesn't mean they won't cycle, or that anti-car policies (instead of pro-cycling infrastructure) are the key to promote cycling.

Likewise, it is not "fighting the car" that will increase usage of trains or trams in Italy. Italy has the dreaded and IMO immoral ZTL (zona traffico limitato) on more than 80 cities, restricting access by car to the core central areas, something that no other developed country in Europe has.

Moreover, high-speed rail has the potential to grow the economy increasing mobility between regions, making trips once unfeasible now possible (like commutes between Bologna and Milano, or daily commutes Roma-Napoli). It competes with the high-distnace end of car trips and the low-distance end of flights.

Driving between Milano and Roma takes 6h30 on reasonable speed door-to-door and one intermediate stop for rest. A train takes less than 3h station-from-station, then if you add transportation to/from station on both places it may be a total of 4 hours. You can also fly, taking 45min of airbone time + 90 min of airport processing time = 2h15min, plus time to go to/from airport.
__________________
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear and wrong."
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1764
Stravinsky
Dans la rue !
 
Stravinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 630
Likes (Received): 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The problem is that you ascribe to extreme views that people shouldn't own cars.
No. The point is that if you provide high-quality alternatives to them, people won't need one car per head. The post-AV Rome–Milan route is a nice example.

ZTLs serve another purpose. They manage vehicular demand. Without them, it would be even higher.

Pretty much like congestion charging or those draconian taxes they have in Denmak
__________________
Brontolo, Cucciolo, Dottolo, Eolo, Gongolo, Mammolo, Pisolo, Orgosolo
Stravinsky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #1765
intersezioni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 18

"Fuel in Italy costs more than in those countries, income is lower, insurance costs as least 50% more (and probably 200% more if you live in certain areas) for similar car and driver profile... costs of car motoring are very high in Italy, compared to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, especially if you adjust to wages-after-taxes."



Guys, in Italy there will be a crisis (equal to France, Spain, and now it 's the turn of Germany) but do not overdo it with the denigration and' pessimism!
Italy and 'the second country after Germany manufacturing and industrial, and' the third largest economy of Europe and the seventh in the world!
Ok there is a crisis, but we are still a country of 60 million people, we're not Finland with 4 cats and an economy as big as my region!
When you talk of Italy seems to speak of Greece as a whole in comparison (with all due respect for Greek friends).

I want to clarify the situation and 'the costs of which you speak are not the same throughout Italy. Did you know that 'divided into two parts, and the south and' one where the crisis and the rates are more 'high!
intersezioni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1766
Stravinsky
Dans la rue !
 
Stravinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 630
Likes (Received): 587

Ah?
__________________
Brontolo, Cucciolo, Dottolo, Eolo, Gongolo, Mammolo, Pisolo, Orgosolo
Stravinsky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1767
Slagathor
Gay love is love too
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Hague
Posts: 6,331
Likes (Received): 1348

What are these mythical Finish cats you speak of?

Seriously though: the point is not the relative size of the Italian industrial sector compared to other EU nations because nobody can really seriously contest that it's one of the largest and most important states in that respect.

The point is rather that it's not going well, overall. Growth figures are low and bureaucracy and bad politics are stifling economic innovation while youth unemployment remains too high.

If Italy is doing well now, consider how ******* great it could be doing with better leadership.
__________________

Jasper90 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #1768
Jasper90
ZAIA HADID
 
Jasper90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Venezia/Milano
Posts: 4,245
Likes (Received): 3308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
What are these mythical Finish cats you speak of?

It's an Italian expression roughly translated into English
"There are 4 cats" = there are only a few people

Quote:
Seriously though: the point is not the relative size of the Italian industrial sector compared to other EU nations because nobody can really seriously contest that it's one of the largest and most important states in that respect.

The point is rather that it's not going well, overall. Growth figures are low and bureaucracy and bad politics are stifling economic innovation while youth unemployment remains too high.

If Italy is doing well now, consider how ******* great it could be doing with better leadership.
Totally agreed.
You can't imagine how bad it felt, to grow up and see your country vote for Berlusconi for 3 times. Every time it happened, you knew that your country was going to have huge damage from it and waste billions of euro.

Luckily he's politically dead, and we've finally began going through the right road now. Hope it's true and not just an illusion. It'll take a while to see the results, though.
__________________
Venice | The city explained by a Venetian

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Slagathor liked this post
Jasper90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #1769
intersezioni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
What are these mythical Finish cats you speak of?

Seriously though: the point is not the relative size of the Italian industrial sector compared to other EU nations because nobody can really seriously contest that it's one of the largest and most important states in that respect.

The point is rather that it's not going well, overall. Growth figures are low and bureaucracy and bad politics are stifling economic innovation while youth unemployment remains too high.

If Italy is doing well now, consider how ******* great it could be doing with better leadership.

You're absolutely right, but we think in this way, if Italy had the same power "financial" in the USA and ell 'England, maintaining the same economic data now, then it would be a superpower!
I remember that Italy and 'for years that has accounts in order and it was' the only country that is 3%, compared to the USA and the UK average of private debt and more government' lowest in the world among the powers economic, Italian citizens are less indebted than in the USA and UK.
The crisis and 'born in financial circles and Americans' English for non-compliance of the rules in 2008, and not' I was born in Italy, in France they do in Spain!
The Americans have every need to make a law to increase the maximum amount of public debt not to go bankrupt !!!!
Germany has a public debt more 'high but compared to other EU countries is not accounted for in debt some items of expenditure to the contrary that accounts for all of Italy, and' this makes it seem's debt germany lowest of what is' really! not to mention their employment and 'manipulated by the Mini job etc. ......:-)
intersezioni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #1770
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,536
Likes (Received): 151

Within EU and associated countries it's very easy to see where life is currently better and where not. No complicated stats needed all you need to do is look at movement of people, particularly young people. Are there more Germans looking for jobs and opportunity in Italy or vice versa? Right now the answer is quite clear. Who knows in 20 years maybe different…
__________________

Slagathor liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #1771
Jasper90
ZAIA HADID
 
Jasper90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Venezia/Milano
Posts: 4,245
Likes (Received): 3308

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersezioni View Post
You're absolutely right, but we think in this way, if Italy had the same power "financial" in the USA and ell 'England, maintaining the same economic data now, then it would be a superpower!
I remember that Italy and 'for years that has accounts in order and it was' the only country that is 3%, compared to the USA and the UK average of private debt and more government' lowest in the world among the powers economic, Italian citizens are less indebted than in the USA and UK.
The crisis and 'born in financial circles and Americans' English for non-compliance of the rules in 2008, and not' I was born in Italy, in France they do in Spain!
The Americans have every need to make a law to increase the maximum amount of public debt not to go bankrupt !!!!
Germany has a public debt more 'high but compared to other EU countries is not accounted for in debt some items of expenditure to the contrary that accounts for all of Italy, and' this makes it seem's debt germany lowest of what is' really! not to mention their employment and 'manipulated by the Mini job etc. ......:-)
This is totally Google Translate
You should also check your spelling, when writing in Italian, especially if you want to Google-translate it.

dell'Inghilterra = of England
ell'Inghilterra = ell'England


è = is
e' = and'


So it all becomes impossible to understand
__________________
Venice | The city explained by a Venetian

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #1772
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,536
Likes (Received): 151

Totally off-topic, but I hope to live long enough to see machine translating tools so good that I can write in good Italian without actually knowing the language. I think the tools are moving in the right direction already.
__________________

Jasper90 liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #1773
Verso
Synchronized User
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 19,625
Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersezioni View Post
You're absolutely right, but we think in this way, if Italy had the same power "financial" in the USA and ell 'England, maintaining the same economic data now, then it would be a superpower!
I remember that Italy and 'for years that has accounts in order and it was' the only country that is 3%, compared to the USA and the UK average of private debt and more government' lowest in the world among the powers economic, Italian citizens are less indebted than in the USA and UK.
The crisis and 'born in financial circles and Americans' English for non-compliance of the rules in 2008, and not' I was born in Italy, in France they do in Spain!
The Americans have every need to make a law to increase the maximum amount of public debt not to go bankrupt !!!!
Germany has a public debt more 'high but compared to other EU countries is not accounted for in debt some items of expenditure to the contrary that accounts for all of Italy, and' this makes it seem's debt germany lowest of what is' really! not to mention their employment and 'manipulated by the Mini job etc. ......:-)
Awesome!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #1774
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Breda<->'s-Hertogenbosch<->Eindhoven triangle
Posts: 19,537
Likes (Received): 5985

Berlusconi governments were bad in many senses, but to his credit, he did poured money into infrastructure projects, especially high-speed rail and totally renovated stations for high-speed hubs. Some € 25-30 billion (exact figures are contested depending on how you account for them) were invested on building the major axis (except the Direttissima Roma-Firenze which had been built much earlier), the renovated stations, and modernization of several sectors for higher speeds, between debt accrued by RFI and other state agents, and direct public investment out of general budget - all excluding Trenitalia expenses with rolling stock and operational deficit of course.
__________________
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear and wrong."
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #1775
Slagathor
Gay love is love too
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Hague
Posts: 6,331
Likes (Received): 1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
This is totally Google Translate
You should also check your spelling, when writing in Italian, especially if you want to Google-translate it.

dell'Inghilterra = of England
ell'Inghilterra = ell'England


è = is
e' = and'


So it all becomes impossible to understand
I noticed that. I was translating it back into Italian in my head as I was reading it.
__________________

Jasper90 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1776
Stravinsky
Dans la rue !
 
Stravinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 630
Likes (Received): 587

(Last off-topic post: for everyone that understands Italian or wants to Google-translate it: it is an article on a recently completed new motorway, still basically unused after two months from the opening. An interesting reflection on the opportunity of building brand-new toll roads when not needed.)

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/14_s...8c813bce.shtml
__________________
Brontolo, Cucciolo, Dottolo, Eolo, Gongolo, Mammolo, Pisolo, Orgosolo

Jasper90 liked this post
Stravinsky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1777
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Breda<->'s-Hertogenbosch<->Eindhoven triangle
Posts: 19,537
Likes (Received): 5985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
(Last off-topic post: for everyone that understands Italian or wants to Google-translate it: it is an article on a recently completed new motorway, still basically unused after two months from the opening. An interesting reflection on the opportunity of building brand-new toll roads when not needed.)

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/14_s...8c813bce.shtml
This is not a true account of the situation. This new highway (Bre-Me-Mi) will only be fully integrated with the rest of the network when another highway (TEEM) is completed - it is currently u/c. Right now it is an isolated project.

When the first part of the Torino-Milano HSL was opened only until Novara, many deemed it a complete waste of money, since few trains used it and it had costed a lot. The BreMeMi is on a comparable situation. It was barely open some weeks ago as well, you should never judge the success of a major new infrastructure on its first weeks of operation, that is crazy.

Actually, all high-speed rail projects in Italy have also been criticized heavily, especially Milano-Torino and Bologna-Firenze. But they are essential to provide fast transportation between major cities.
__________________
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear and wrong."
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #1778
ArtManDoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Italy is a free country, people are free to buy cars with money they earn, after taxes.
They should be free to have a possibility to use an alternative mode (PT or bicycle) that is built up according to modern standards as well. Italy defenetely has a good PT in some areas but people get overall better transportation when shifting money from car infrastructure PT especially when we talk about motorways and huge road junctions.

There should be road access to property, I am not against it. But when there are options like building motorway or improving/building railway then it very obvious that railway gives better in return. A simple example, upgrading a road into motorway costs about the same than improving a rail line to 200km/h operation or building a new rail line. When we talk about service level of motorway vs rail then almost everibody would choose a fast train instead of going by car. Motorway takes you to the edge of city after that you must still consider shifting to another mode. The ones who defenetely need to go by car, carrying lot of staff with them, national roads will cover their needs totally.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #1779
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,694
Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
When the first part of the Torino-Milano HSL was opened only until Novara, many deemed it a complete waste of money, since few trains used it and it had costed a lot.
Well, today we know it costed around 8 billion euro (but with the upgrade of nearby A4, I think...), and it is used by just 1 or 2 trains per hour per direction. Basically, it is empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Actually, all high-speed rail projects in Italy have also been criticized heavily, especially Milano-Torino and Bologna-Firenze. But they are essential to provide fast transportation between major cities.
No, they aren't essential (at least the Milan-Turin line), as in many cases tickets are too expensive for Italian citizens, which consequently don't use them.
__________________
für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

100 Jahre Lötschbergbahn
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #1780
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,536
Likes (Received): 151

Dedicated HS lines used exclusively for long distance travel will never be as busy as those also carrying commuter traffic. Maybe in Japan or China, but not in Western Europe. Four trains per hour per direction would already be excellent. That I think we need to take into account. It doesn't automatically make improvements to long distance travel unnecessary.
__________________

Stravinsky liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
alta velocità

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu