daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #1
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 0

Why not a North East England sub-forum?

Why has Ireland been given there own Sub-Forums but the North East hasn't even come anywhere near it?

I was sure we were told that no more sub forums were going to be created as there were too many?
bobalania no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #2
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 1812

might have something to do with the sheer amount of projects going up and proposed in dublin and belfast. dublin alone has three times as many as the whole of the north east of england!
gothicform no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 13

We have the same problem in the South-West.

I love the North-East the cradle of England and the library of Northern Europe, it was there where the greatest seats of learning were established North of the Alps in the Post-Roman period and the tradition still burns brightly there today. It is with sadness that I feel that both of our areas have been denied forums and I think not entirely without prejudice, the Celts seem to very quickly get their own way on this forum, yet we who have been campaigning for longer our denied it.

I hope that the North-East will work with us in the South-West in working to establish a forum for each of our regions.
Lostboy no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
might have something to do with the sheer amount of projects going up and proposed in dublin and belfast. dublin alone has three times as many as the whole of the north east of england!

How many does Wales / Cymru have?
legolamb no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #5
gothicform
Bossman

only twice as many as the north east!
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #6
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Gothicform:

image hosted on flickr
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Quote:
only twice as many as the north east!
Wales has twice as many projects as the east coast of England from Newcastle to Hull?
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #8
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Quote:
I'm sorry gothicform but, unless i am missing something, thats a load of crap tbh, somehow i don't think Dublin has more than the whole of NE, unless your an expert and regularly read up and research developments just in Teesside never mind the whole of the North-East, you'll be surprised at how much is going on here, i'm sure there is many other projects in the rest of the North East that are worthy of a forum.

@Lost Boy: Loved your comments, and they are true. :P Teesside/North East Built the World!!! :P Without us this country wouldn't be what it is today e.g. just thinking off the top of my head - they'd be no match, meaning no light, no electricity and no trains either. I;m sure the SW played a great part too.

Heres a good poem for you:

I think if we had our own forum (as well as SW) we would all get more inovled in each others sub regions too, so there would be no issue of inactivity either.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #9
belfastbap

dry your eyes
belfastbap no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #10
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Says belfastbap (27 posts)
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #11
gothicform
Bossman

Quote:
I'm sorry gothicform but, unless i am missing something, thats a load of crap tbh, somehow i don't think Dublin has more than the whole of NE, unless your an expert and regularly read up and research developments just in Teesside never mind the whole of the North-East, you'll be surprised at how much is going on here, i'm sure there is many other projects in the rest of the North East that are worthy of a forum.
over ten floors. yes. 61 active projects for dublin alone, 23 for the entire north east of england.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #12
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 8

To be honest, although I would love a NE forum I personally don't think we merit one- we not only don't have that many new developments we also don't have many people who use the current threads for each individual cities- It can go days on end with no one using the threads for the Teesside, Sunderland or Newcastle/Gateshead. The reason is that in reality we don't have much going on in our cities in comparison to other ares of the UK/ Ireland. The three north east current threads (and you are pushing it a bit to include Hull in a North East Forum) have a few people talking about possible projects and then nowt really happens.
In Teesside- I can find only 4 projects currently underway (not proposed or finished) and they include 2 lots of student accom, a college and a footbridge? Not a great deal. Newcastle aint much better just 11 projects currently underway (Downing 18 storey offices, Welbar office development, Eldon Square extension, RVI childrens hospital,Ncl Uni Student services building, New student accom,New Haymarket Metro station, Waygood Gallery, New City Library, Baltic Bus. Quarter and Metro Centre redevelopment)- not really that many- and I think there are even less projects underway in Sunderland compared to Teesside and with just a handfull of regular users each day on each thread I reckon they are right to not give us our own thread.
Of course the fact that this website is called Skyscraper City and none of our cities/ towns have any also doesnt bode well either!

Last edited by geordiejon; September 9th, 2008 at 10:38 AM.
geordiejon no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #13
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

I agree that they are not very active ( also take into account of population compared to the rest of the UK) but i don't agree that there isn't much going on, all of the projects in Teesside aren't listed there too, its just major ones.

Yes it may be a skyscraper forum but the majority of threads aren't discussing skyscrapers, infact alot of the time they aren't even discussing developments!

@Gothicform: N. Ireland have been given there own forum too, how many do they have?
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #14
gothicform
Bossman

belfast has 33, theres a LOT missing from the belfast list too. you might as well count cork, waterford and so on. people might not realise on these forums but the proposals for dublin have been rivalling manchester in terms of size and frequency!
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #15
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Wales has twice as many projects as the east coast of England from Newcastle to Hull?
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #16
gothicform
Bossman

wales has 46 not counting completed ones! that makes it double the entire north east of england. the current tallest building under construction outside london right now is in wales. who'd have thunk it.
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
belfast has 33, theres a LOT missing from the belfast list too. you might as well count cork, waterford and so on. people might not realise on these forums but the proposals for dublin have been rivalling manchester in terms of size and frequency!
Office take-up in Dublin has been trouncing every regional UK city for years ( 2-3 times the space on a yearly basis ).
Boards no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #18
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Last edited by legolamb; September 9th, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #19
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

I now don't think its fair to work on the basis of activity in these threads, as some may have 1000s of posts but less than half may be discussing developments, or they could be one word posts etc. etc.

P.S. I Hope you are all aware that Teesside encompasses Stockton, Middlesborugh, Darlington, Hartlepool and Redcar & Cleveland?

I suppose you could also count N. Yorkshire and County Durham in with us too if you had too.
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #20
gothicform
Bossman

in all fairness blame your local council. these are the guys who for years refused proposals for newcastle. other councils for the major cities in the uk approved some of theirs and have now built or are building 100m-ish towers. newcastle missed out on the tower boom. simple really. this below is an example... refused planning permission because newcastle apparently had no need for tall buildings!

Closed Thread

Tags
north east england, north east forum