SkyscraperCity Forum banner

DUBAI | Burj Khalifa (Burj Dubai) | World's Tallest Structure | 828m | 2717ft | 163 fl | Com

13M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  Engineer guy_31 
#1 · (Edited)
Height: 818m
Floors: 162
Use: Mixed (hotel, res and office)
Architect: SOM
Developer: Emaar

----------------------------------------------------------

I felt a new thread for this project was necessarily because of the insane amount of non-stop drivel being posted in the previous one. The entire thread is filled with either people posting crap or people complaining about others posting crap and it's time for that to end.
Of course there has been a massive positive contribution as well, loads of renders, 1000s of photos, inside info and so on, I just think it's time to give this thread a fresh start.

We're going to need some new guidelines, otherwise we'll just end up with the same old drivel filled thread again so here they are:

1: When posting lots of photos at once you can have a few large photos in the same post but if you have a lot more the rest should be thumbnailed, not everyone has an ultra-fast connection. To do this you can go to http://imageshack.us and do it there. A model post can be found here
2: Quoting other people's pictures should not be done (unless there's a good reason for doing so). If you want to comment about someone's photos you can quote their text or just refer to the photo but don't repost it.
3: Reposting loads of old photos will not be allowed unless the photos are reposted for a good reason (ie, to explain something) or just happen to be insanely good (such as the night shot in this thread).
4: Please do not post trivial info that everybody already knows, or exists just a few pages back (ie, "I think the building will have about 160 floors", "when was the last update?", etc).
5: Please limit the amount of "great updates" type posts. If you want to make such a comment you can but make sure a lot of people haven't said similar things right before you.
6: Any post complaining about another member will be deleted, if you have problems with someone else PM the mods and we'll sort it out. This was a real problem in the previous thread and will NOT be tolerated this time.
7: If you post someone else's photo then please give a link where you got it from or else mention the creator's name.
8: When quoting multiple posts please combine them all into one post rather than creating lots of posts in a row.

There are probably some more I could list but can't think of them off the top of my head. They're more like guidelines anyway rather than black and white rules but you get the idea, ie, more quality vs quantity.
The best thing to do before you click the "submit reply" button is read back over your post and ask yourself, will people be interested in reading my post? If the answer is no then it might be better not to bother posting it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now for the Burj Dubai stuff :)

The previous thread

Some websites:

www.emaar.com
www.burjdubai.com
www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com
www.dubaimegaprojects.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Dubai

Model:

More pictures of a different model (of the entire burj dubai downtown project):

October 10th, 2007 diagram from Culwulla:

Burj Dubai Downtown render:

Amazing night shot (Old):

Skyline shot:

Latest photo update (October 2007):

I will add more stuff to the first post when new info comes out.

See less See more
#1,541 ·
I must admit that this is a huge tower and big development, but honestly I don't see the significance of this tower or any tower in Dubai. The city is basically a desert that wants attention, so it uses oil money to build large towers that, in my opinion, will basically be fairly empty most of the time. Burj Dubai doesn't show economic growth the way some towers such as WFC in Shanghai or Freedom Tower in New York. I just don't get why people are so hyped about a really tall piece of glass which has, really, no meaning.
You'll understand the significance when Dubai shows the value of economic diversification.

The economic model in the Middle East is almost the reverse of that of Asia; it makes sense that the course of development would be reversed as well.

#1,544 ·
It would be cool to have the video without the still images of the building, workers etc. and the information - just the plain timelapse images. Anyway this is great to watch, I wonder if the images come from an actual webcam, looks like a professionally installed fixed camera.

#1,545 · (Edited)
Wow, you can see how few floors hold up the crane. It's only held by about 3 floors!
Also you can see how now the crane is out of the lift core and on real floors that they have to fill the concrete floor in after the crane has been jacked up!
May I also add the workers have big balls to be working on that scaffolding on the edge of that concrete making those little triangles that stick out of the core!! Dam!
Not to start a flamewar again... but ... if those guys are making $100 a month they have every right to protest! You couldn't pay me to walk out on that scaffolding, balanced on that tiny triangle, sitting on 3 day old concrete 550m / 150+ stories up! Holy sh$@
I only hope that being the most prestigious building in Dubai that they are getting better wages than some of the figures we hear mentioned.

#1,548 ·
Wow, you can see how few floors hold up the crane. It's only held by about 3 floors!
Also you can see how now the crane is out of the lift core and on real floors that they have to fill the concrete floor in after the crane has been jacked up!
May I also add the workers have big balls to be working on that scaffolding on the edge of that concrete making those little triangles that stick out of the core!! Dam!
Not to start a flamewar again... but ... if those guys are making $100 a month they have every right to protest! You couldn't pay me to walk out on that scaffolding, balanced on that tiny triangle, sitting on 3 day old concrete 550m / 150+ stories up! Holy sh$@
I only hope that being the most prestigious building in Dubai that they are getting better wages than some of the figures we hear mentioned.

This has been the case for WEEKS now. Browse some old fotos. There are even some where you can see the floors with the hole several floors under the towercrane.

PS: This triangles are curious for me too. I wonder how much weight you can put on them before they fall off the core. It really looks so tiny... and i cant see how its really ankered to the core.

#1,550 ·
^^ What you have seen is propably the crane that was there since the beginning. I didn't noticed anything new today (passed by after you have posted that).

#1,551 ·
i love the security at the site
BD has literally tourists right on the site?

then you look at somthing like freedom tower, its so restricted and guarded.

but then again, only pictures go so far.
There are no tourists on site. You can't go nearer to Burj Dubai then you can to Freedm Tower.

All the pictures are taken outside the site perimeter and often from a distance of up to 1 mile (using x12 Optical zoom)

#1,552 ·
I bet that the crane is attached to and supported by the interior walls. Those floors won't be able to withstand the forces, the holes are made just to give room to the crane mast.

#1,554 ·
Wow! all pictures are really so awesome and amazing! :)

#1,555 ·

im friends with the guy in the middle with the yellow hat, between the 2 guys leaning on the railings :)

just abit of info lol.

#1,557 ·
There are no tourists on site. You can't go nearer to Burj Dubai then you can to Freedm Tower.

All the pictures are taken outside the site perimeter and often from a distance of up to 1 mile (using x12 Optical zoom)
After two years lurking on this site I finally signed up to make my maiden post! I want to thank everyone for their contributions, it has kept me amused, informed and fascinated.

I have been fortunate to visit this site three times in the last 15 months, and this is a truly impressive construction. It is possible as a tourist to take photos just outside the gate, and there I would estimate you are within 100 metres of the core. Any closer and you cannot appreciate the bulk and height.

The best view of this tower I reckon is from SZR, heading East, just before the junction off to the site. The impact of the other skyscrapers, and this one is awesome. There is a sense similar to standing close to very high cliffs, buildings just soar away, all around. And BD looks impossibly high now.

Two things surprised me last time I visited (maybe 6 weeks ago). Just how dusty and dirty everything looked, it really needs a good clean. But that is offset by the brilliance of the reflected sunlight off the panels. The building seems like a gemstone.

I thought I read a while back that there was a long gap between the completion of the concrete and the rising of the steel. Seem to remember it was a good number of months rather than weeks.

#1,558 ·
After two years lurking on this site I finally signed up to make my maiden post! I want to thank everyone for their contributions, it has kept me amused, informed and fascinated.

I have been fortunate to visit this site three times in the last 15 months, and this is a truly impressive construction. It is possible as a tourist to take photos just outside the gate, and there I would estimate you are within 100 metres of the core. Any closer and you cannot appreciate the bulk and height.

The best view of this tower I reckon is from SZR, heading East, just before the junction off to the site. The impact of the other skyscrapers, and this one is awesome. There is a sense similar to standing close to very high cliffs, buildings just soar away, all around. And BD looks impossibly high now.

Two things surprised me last time I visited (maybe 6 weeks ago). Just how dusty and dirty everything looked, it really needs a good clean. But that is offset by the brilliance of the reflected sunlight off the panels. The building seems like a gemstone.

I thought I read a while back that there was a long gap between the completion of the concrete and the rising of the steel. Seem to remember it was a good number of months rather than weeks.
I quoted the 6 month wait for the installation of metal bracing on the roof of the 155th floor. However, considering that the 155 Mezzanine floor is mechanical one, that might very well be just for the installation of the machineries and probably not related to the steel structure at all.

True you can get as close as 100 meters from the building, but you can get as close to the WTC in NYC as well, and that was the point. As for the dust and dirt, it's normal that it will be, like any other construction site.

And BTW welcome to the forum. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.