daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > Projects and Construction > Project News and Updates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #1
profkingsfield2004

Likes (Received): 0

Singapore Polytechnic

For those interested to know what was on that piece of land before it became the Singapore Polytechnic in 1971.

There are only 2 buildings from the 1950s era that are still on the Poly grounds. Anybody has pictures of those buildings in the modern era?

profkingsfield2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Kit
arkitect

I can't make out anything from the picture but I guess one of those building would be the Alumni clubhouse at the MRT side.
Kit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #3
Andrew

Likes (Received): 26

Click on the picture, it opens a bigger version.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #4
profkingsfield2004

The straight road in front is DOVER Road
On the left would be the future SingTEL Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I can't make out anything from the picture but I guess one of those building would be the Alumni clubhouse at the MRT side.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 27

The building labeled "MOR Block" (what does it stand for by the way?) is now a building holding the recreational facilities of the Poly. Like gaming centres, photography studios, kareoke rooms, pool rooms, bathing facilities, etc. This building had been greatly renovated, with the corridor facing Dover Road removed, the balustrades blocked out and windows installed.

The building callled "Sergeants' Mess" is now the childcare centre, formerly the alumni clubhouse. Has an uncanny reputation to be haunted. There's a water tower at the top of the hill, not sure if it's original though.

redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
profkingsfield2004

MOR = Malay Other Ranks. For a time many malays worked in the British Military. The Chinese too mainly in the signals unit but many did not join the SAF when the British left in 1971.

The water tower was an original part of the camp. Do you have the modern day picture.

The hills in the background would later be carved out to form Commonwealth Avenue (the present MRT track). The church St John's Church is to the extreme right of my picture. The church dates back to the 1950s. The condo next to the church was the Pasir Panjang War Cemetery for British Servicemen (only Gurkhas) were buried there during the 1960s.

Do you know why it was haunted? It was because of deaths suffered during the Indonesian Confrontation between 1963 and 1966. A detachment of the unit at Dover Road was sent to Sarawak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
The building labeled "MOR Block" (what does it stand for by the way?) is now a building holding the recreational facilities of the Poly. Like gaming centres, photography studios, kareoke rooms, pool rooms, bathing facilities, etc. This building had been greatly renovated, with the corridor facing Dover Road removed, the balustrades blocked out and windows installed.

The building callled "Sergeants' Mess" is now the childcare centre, formerly the alumni clubhouse. Has an uncanny reputation to be haunted. There's a water tower at the top of the hill, not sure if it's original though.

Old April 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #7
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by profkingsfield2004 View Post
MOR = Malay Other Ranks. For a time many malays worked in the British Military. The Chinese too mainly in the signals unit but many did not join the SAF when the British left in 1971.

The water tower was an original part of the camp. Do you have the modern day picture.

The hills in the background would later be carved out to form Commonwealth Avenue (the present MRT track). The church St John's Church is to the extreme right of my picture. The church dates back to the 1950s. The condo next to the church was the Pasir Panjang War Cemetery for British Servicemen (only Gurkhas) were buried there during the 1960s.

Do you know why it was haunted? It was because of deaths suffered during the Indonesian Confrontation between 1963 and 1966. A detachment of the unit at Dover Road was sent to Sarawak.
Will try to take photos of it soon.

Here's what MOR Block looks like now. Now called simply as T11A or Moberly Block. Even the stone balustrades at the rear corridor, red clay tile roof and the rear toilet block is still there. There are 2 external stairs at the rear. Have you been to Princess Mary Barracks before?

Oh my, what happened at the Sergeant's Mess?! The hillock is still very wooded with mature trees and thick vegetation. The Alumi moved out of this building in the late 1990s to a huge building beside the sports centre. It's now occupied by Kinderland Childcare, functions as a public childcare centre, beside being for the staff.

What happened at the Sergeant's Mess?! Why did people die there?

Last edited by redstone; April 11th, 2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:53 AM   #8
redstone
Lurker

I think something's happening to the old Sergeant's Mess, might be under demolition or renovation!!!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM   #9
redstone
Lurker

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

It was still looking fine few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #10
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 43

what are they going to build on the site?
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #11
redstone
Lurker

It was still fine a week ago, and still half there on sunday morning at 2am. On monday afternoon totally gone!!!
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #12
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 43

demolition can be fast, the Short Street flats are looking shorter today too. Imagine the noise for residents in the area!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #13
redstone
Lurker

Demolition to me came as a total shock... it's a historic building and no announcement was made, not even in school website. Gone too is the old watertank and soon, the Main Lecture Theatre 2 (MLT2).
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #14
Singapor3
Asia's Only Global City

Quote:
Demolition to me came as a total shock... it's a historic building and no announcement was made, not even in school website. Gone too is the old watertank and soon, the Main Lecture Theatre 2 (MLT2).
Hey you also from SP?

More skyscrapers for Singapore please!
Singapor3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #15
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorsuperb View Post
Hey you also from SP?
Ya...

Sigh... I thought these 2 buildings are 'preserved' by SP! I didn't even have a photo of the old childcare and water tower!!!
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Singapor3
Asia's Only Global City

Quote:
Ya...

Sigh... I thought these 2 buildings are 'preserved' by SP! I didn't even have a photo of the old childcare and water tower!!!
I didn't see those buildings before, what course are you in?

Old April 26th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #17
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
I didn't see those buildings before, what course are you in?
The Childcare and watertower are at the peak of the hill.
MLT2 is on the slope of the hill, think the seats are following the gradient of the slope.

The hill? Beside T1A, behind Library.

I'm in Cliff's course.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #18
Singapor3
Asia's Only Global City

Quote:
The Childcare and watertower are at the peak of the hill.
MLT2 is on the slope of the hill, think the seats are following the gradient of the slope.

The hill? Beside T1A, behind Library.

I'm in Cliff's course.
Wah good sia, archi! I can take archi but my parents prefer me to take business so I'm in business admin..

And the business block is on the top of the hill, which means I am climbing the hill daily. Is that MLT 2 near the main library?

Old April 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #19
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Wah good sia, archi! I can take archi but my parents prefer me to take business so I'm in business admin..

And the business block is on the top of the hill, which means I am climbing the hill daily. Is that MLT 2 near the main library?
lol... archi stressful sia. Need to be independent.

Yup, the hill behind Main Library, beside Mcdonalds. From Dover MRT, it appears as a uh, hill suddenly smack inbetween buildings.
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #20
Singapor3
Asia's Only Global City

Quote:
lol... archi stressful sia. Need to be independent.

Yup, the hill behind Main Library, beside Mcdonalds. From Dover MRT, it appears as a uh, hill suddenly smack inbetween buildings.
Oh, hell hill, near macdonals sia, so good. I will have to climb up and down to get to foodcourt 4..