daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure > Aviation

Old March 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

Direct From Union Station To LAX

New Easier Way to Get to LAX
LOS ANGELES - Today Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villariagosa announces the start of new nonstop shuttle service from Union Station, straight to LAX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on abc7.com:

ABC7 Tip Line | Breaking News Alerts | Seen on ABC7 |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The buses will depart in both directions every 30 minutes from 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m., and once an hour overnight.
The shuttles will take freeway car pool lanes. Airport officials say they'll complete the 20-mile trip in less than 45 minutes during peak travel times.

Rides are free for travelers taking public transportation to and from Union Station until March 31st. After that they cost three dollars each way, and two dollars for kids under twelve.

Parking at Union Station costs six dollars a day.

The service is an expansion of the airport's FlyAway bus system that already runs between LAX and Van Nuys.

Copyright Đ 2006 KABC-TV and the Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

Location: Currently residing in the good Ol' IE until something else arises from the horizon.
Likes (Received): 36

Finally some alternative choices to LAX from the Central area of LA. I know this is going to be a big success. In order to keep the success they need to provide a first class fleet. I hope they don't use those old run down greyhound buses that have over 300 thousands miles and no central air. What a horror that would be.

If I live Downtown and had to go to the Airport, I've would of use this service.

~~By Fern to the Fern*
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Twipsy

Likes (Received): 1

How long does the subway (Green Line / Blue Line) take from LAX to Downtown? Next month I will stay in the Westin Bonaventure in Downtown for a week. Itīs more than a mile from Union Station, so will the bus line really be faster for me?
Twipsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

Location: Currently residing in the good Ol' IE until something else arises from the horizon.

Hey that's a cool Hotel to stay at. So the fastest way to get to Downtown would be the Bus Shuttle.

~~By Fern to the Fern*
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #5
klamedia
Silver Lake

From downtown on weekdays before late night it can take you a little over an hour. That would be taking the Red to the Blue to the Green to the G bus shuttle that will drop you off at your terminal. The advantage of the Flyaway bus from Union Station is that it is a one seat ride for you. So take the Red Line to Union Station and from there use the bus service.
And "Ferney" they will be using the Flyaway busses with the luggage racks.
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Twipsy

Thanks for the information. The bus really seems to best the best alternative. I hope that the transportation from LAX to Downtown will improve in the next decade or so. One hour is much too long. Twenty minutes should be the maximum. That would not be a problem with a nonstop train. Downtown Los Angeles would suddenly become much more interesting for investors.

The good thing: The bus only costs only $3 . I have never seen a cheaper airport transportation in a major city.
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
klamedia
Silver Lake

Just rode it today. Took 20 minutes from LAX to LAUS. It has the advantage of taking the carpools and passed up lots of stalled cars heading east on the 105. Walked downstairs to the waiting Red Line took that to the Santa Monica/Vermont stop and blam! started on my 3/4 of mile walk home(its good for you)but a #4 bus was approaching so I hopped on that for another 5 minutes max and got off at the end of my street and walked 6 or 7 houses up and I was home!
Even in NYC their was no way for me to get from JFK to Harlem in under an hour which ironically the same distance from LAX to Silver Lake more or less. If you took the expressways they were mostly likely jammed (no car pool lanes). So this is a real step for LA, eventhough it doesn't seem that big.
Even if you live in Pasadena you can take the Gold to LAUS and hop on the flyway and be there!
The only problem with non-stop trains are that you'd be running a train non-stop through areas that could really use the service.
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

^So you took the ride to LAX from Union. How do you personally rate the service. How about ridership on the Flyaway, 50% full?

I agree that this is a big step for LA!

~~By Fern to the Fern*
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Twipsy

Quote:
Took 20 minutes from LAX to LAUS
That sounds much better than the advertised 45 minutes.

Quote:
The only problem with non-stop trains are that you'd be running a train non-stop through areas that could really use the service.
The solution is having local trains with about five or six stops and express times without any stops. Itīs important that you can reach the CBD of a city as fast as possible, as businessmen are by far the most frequent flyers. If you go on holiday twice a year you wonīt care a lot about slow airport connections, but if a businessman flies twice a week, that can be really annoying. Not everybody can afford using a helicopter every time.

Iīm really looking forward to my journey. I hope that the weather will be fine, as the main reason for my journey is taking photos of skyscrapers.
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #10
klamedia
Silver Lake

Today my express bus to Union Station got stuck in a traffic jam heading north on the 110. This was a nasty one by my standards. 1 hour long. I've been NOT driving to work so much in the past 4 months that I have really forgotten how bad traffic can be and frankly what traffic is. I really don't know how people drive in slow or not moving at all traffic day in and day out without buying a rifle and shooting at people.
Sorry, you can have all of the creature comforts you want in your new Prius but being stuck in traffic is not at all pretty and we were in the carpool lane!