search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #36721
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18058

Greetings from Kosovopolje, Kosovo
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #36722
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18233

We've talked before about how Google Maps is very unreliable with travel times in Europe during holiday traffic because it bases its forecasted delay on historic travel times, where peak traffic and construction is not accurately factored in to.

It also appears that Google Maps travel time becomes saturated, you rarely see over 1.5 hours travel time for individual traffic jams even when there is a complete standstill. Last weekend there was 3-4 hour delay on German A3 near Leverkusen due to construction, but Google Maps never went over 1h30minutes for that 15 km section.

I also noticed this; when I drag the route to A14, it says a 2h6m driving time. But when I released the mouse button it's suddenly only 1h4m driving time.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #36723
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 5866

By the way, those totally straight roads are an interesting view on a map.

In Poland, the Warsaw - Białystok road looks like this (or used to look, before they built bypasses of some cities), but it's rather an exception. You rarely see so straight roads, like drawn using a ruler, in Europe.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #36724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are many straight roads in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia as well.
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #36725
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 20607

You can blame the Romans for that "totally straight" route between Cesena and Piacenza

Kpc21 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #36726
italystf

Likes (Received): 2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
You can blame the Romans for that "totally straight" route between Cesena and Piacenza
Yes, SS9 was built following the ancient Via Emilia, between Milan and Rimini.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #36727
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are many straight roads in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia as well.
Hasn't Belarus the longest straight road in Europe, more than 100 km?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #36728
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
The results of the thunderstorm in Łódź today in the morning: http://www.expressilustrowany.pl/lod...2051,24979871/

Some big trees got drawn from the ground with roots. So strong was the wind.

The trains traffic is still blocked in two places in the city, as well as many tram lines (with practically non-existent bustitution, as there was so many of them).
Something similar happened on the same day in Veneto and Friuli regions, Italy.

Fallen trees on A23 near Udine:

In Lignano:

Supermarket destroyed in San Vito al Tagliamento:

More: http://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it/u...8?ref=fbfmv#27
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #36729
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 20607

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, SS9 was built following the ancient Via Emilia, between Milan and Rimini.
What impresses me is not so much that the modern alignment closely follows the old Roman road, but that the alignment of consular roads of the Roman Empire had enormous 'staying power' over two millennia.
Old August 12th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #36730
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 165

Film about German Reichsautobahnen. As they portait A8 Munich-Austria frequently (Bernau am Chiemsee) I guess it's from 1938-1939

Neverthenless, people walked along the bridges and shoulders quite frequently then.

Alex_ZR, RipleyLV, Highway89, Kanadzie liked this post
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #36731
grykaerugoves
Përdorues i Regjistruar.

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Greetings from Kosovopolje, Kosovo
Fushë Kosovë, Republic of Kosovo.....

Last edited by grykaerugoves; August 14th, 2017 at 07:28 PM.
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #36732
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What impresses me is not so much that the modern alignment closely follows the old Roman road, but that the alignment of consular roads of the Roman Empire had enormous 'staying power' over two millennia.
Ancient roads had been built by following the easiest possible allignment in relation with the terrain, and passing through all villages and towns on the way. Those paths worked well for their purpose regardless it was 200 B.C., 1400 or 1920.

Only in the second half of the 20th century (with some pioneer ideas in its first half, like Reichautobahnnen, early Italian autostrade, or US parkways), with the booming of motorized traffic, emerged the necessity to build brand new roads, that allowed higher speeds, higher capacity, and the possibility to separate local traffic from long-distance traffic, bringing the latter far away from settlements.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #36733
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
Film about German Reichsautobahnen. As they portait A8 Munich-Austria frequently (Bernau am Chiemsee) I guess it's from 1938-1939

Neverthenless, people walked along the bridges and shoulders quite frequently then.
must be such era, they use a certain, ahem, period-specific language
must be before late '39 though since the map shows a gap in the "corridor"...
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #36734
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 165

Turns out there was more to the story of Chiemsee rest stop in the film clip I wasn't aware of:
https://www.geschichtsspuren.de/arti...-rasthaus.html

Kanadzie liked this post
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:47 AM   #36735
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1629

Well, with 9k km travelled I experienced my very first accident. A lady reversed and hit my bumper hard. Total cost of repair - 1.100 €. Thanks for the full insurance coverage. Having misunderstood the date of my repair I brought my car to a repair service two days earlier. They told me to leave my car there and provided me with a spare car until my car was ready. All for free.

I remember that offer in the Opel repair service - they asked 40 € per hour for letting me a spare car.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #36736
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A rental car?

I had minor damage recently, a neighbor slammed his door into my car. It was repaired and I got a free rental car. A Kio Rio, not a big fan of it. The dashboard reflection in the windshield is just ridiculous. I also found it noisy and the leg rest on the center console was annoying. Which is quite a big deal since your leg would rest against it all the time. I found it uncomfortable within 2 minutes, not to mention having to deal with that for 2 hours or a whole day...
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:49 AM   #36737
MattiG

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
A rental car?

I had minor damage recently, a neighbor slammed his door into my car. It was repaired and I got a free rental car. A Kio Rio, not a big fan of it. The dashboard reflection in the windshield is just ridiculous. I also found it noisy and the leg rest on the center console was annoying. Which is quite a big deal since your leg would rest against it all the time. I found it uncomfortable within 2 minutes, not to mention having to deal with that for 2 hours or a whole day...
The low-end cars are full of trade-offs. No room for decent noise insulation, and generally limited space for all bells and whistles.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #36738
Attus

Likes (Received): 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
must be such era, they use a certain, ahem, period-specific language
must be before late '39 though since the map shows a gap in the "corridor"...
Part of the movie (Grossglockner) is in Austria, the road network map show Austria as a part of Germany, but shows the 1920-39 German-Polish border. So it's surely after the Anschluss but before the invading of Poland. As it's surely summer, it must be the summer of 1938 or '39.

Kanadzie liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #36739
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
The dashboard reflection in the windshield is just ridiculous.
I bought myself a pair of polarised glasses which I use mostly for driving. I don't see any reflection in my windshield, plus it reduces the sun glare from other cars or water. It works so good that I bought also a polarised filter for my photo camera.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #36740
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I bought myself a pair of polarised glasses which I use mostly for driving. I don't see any reflection in my windshield, plus it reduces the sun glare from other cars or water. It works so good that I bought also a polarised filter for my photo camera.
I've thought that non-polarized sunglasses are only good to spoil your vision.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways