daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #301
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17385

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
The Brazil examples above looked depressing. Is it social housing or socal isolation? Are they work camps? And I don't think construction cost is the issue.
Social housing in Brazil is funded by taxes. Brazil has a huge housing deficit, so our goverment built low-cost houses to replace favelas/unsafe houses

cdhu_sao_joao_de_iracema-0385 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

cdhu_sao_joao_de_iracema-0379 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

2017.02.03 - TAGUAI (foto JMPereira) - IMG_8137 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

2017.04.21 - PATROCINIO PTA - SORTEIO (foto JMPereira) - IMG_5333 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

Entrega de 69 casas em Coroados (9/12) by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

IMG_3049 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

Last edited by xrtn2; May 11th, 2017 at 03:41 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #302
xrtn2

São Paulo's downtown social housing

F_13 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

F_5 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

F_8 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

F_7 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr

F_3 by Secretaria da Habitação SP, no Flickr
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #303
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
The Brazil examples above looked depressing. Is it social housing or socal isolation? Are they work camps? And I don't think construction cost is the issue.
I don't know how there's any more social isolation in these examples than there is in detached houses that aren't social housing. I'm just more concerned with the fact that public funds are used to make detached houses... no other country in the world does this

xrtn2, Yuri S Andrade liked this post
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #304
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanada View Post
I'm just more concerned with the fact that public funds are used to make detached houses... no other country in the world does this
One country off the top of my head: Australia and I would bet there are many more. Unless you personally are paying tax to the Brazilian Govt, why does detached public housing concern you?
Old August 6th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #305
ElRaval

Likes (Received): 3

Theres not any "Social Housing" in Sweden.

The Swedish "public housing" is called 'Allmännyttigt bostadsföretag', which is mostly made out of flats owned by the local council (kommun). But there are no income restrictions, so basically a person with a high income could move there as well.

Most people that have payment remarks, social problems such as drug-use etc either rent "second hand" apartments on short term leases (mostly on the black market) or turn to the "Social Services" for help (socialtjänsten or soc).

There is however a thing called "Hotellhem" which helps people that has these types of problems. These are occupied mostly by men (but also families) that has been homeless, mental problems, has been in jail or has drug/alcohol-problems and are used as "genomgångsbostäder" (couldnt find a good translation for it, but its basically "until you can get by on your own"-apartments).

These can be found both in the inner city and the suburbs.

xrtn2, alexandru.mircea liked this post
ElRaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #306
xrtn2

Brazil

Yuri S Andrade liked this post
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #307
ahehe_96
Mr.V

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
HONG KONG

The development in hong kong is depressing its a lifeless development.
Rodrigo Duterte
ahehe_96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #308
ahehe_96
Mr.V

most mass urban development came to decay it is designed without a sense of humanity, a modern architecture shaped community.
Rodrigo Duterte
Old August 10th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #309
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10742

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahehe_96 View Post
I suspect it may be uninhabited yet. If so, when people move in things will change.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #310
embassyofaudrey

Likes (Received): 2516

Low cost Apartment Jakarta-Indonesia

Free Trans-Jakarta BRT

Old August 10th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #311
KeanoManu

Likes (Received): 1385

The ground floor of most of the projects posted in this thread are just horrible. I get that they are not built in the most central parts of each city, but why can't they build them like they're in a city? Create, or expand, a city core. Instead of just having a dull wall with some doors here and there they should build storefronts and create a living street level. Maybe that will also open up for some non-social housing projects in the same area which will further benefit these projects. But no, public housing are always built as the criminally disastrous "tower-in-a-park" type of development.

The Polman liked this post
KeanoManu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #312
ahehe_96
Mr.V

i agree with your argument there must be a better way in solving this crisis
Rodrigo Duterte
Old August 11th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #313
xrtn2

São Paulo Brazil

Old August 13th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #314
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanada View Post
I don't know how there's any more social isolation in these examples than there is in detached houses that aren't social housing. I'm just more concerned with the fact that public funds are used to make detached houses... no other country in the world does this
Detached houses evolve into regular low middle class neighbourhoods as time goes by and people make improvements.

They proved much more successful than vertical social housing in the US or Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanoManu View Post
The ground floor of most of the projects posted in this thread are just horrible. I get that they are not built in the most central parts of each city, but why can't they build them like they're in a city? Create, or expand, a city core. Instead of just having a dull wall with some doors here and there they should build storefronts and create a living street level. Maybe that will also open up for some non-social housing projects in the same area which will further benefit these projects. But no, public housing are always built as the criminally disastrous "tower-in-a-park" type of development.
In Brazil they are built as regular neighbourhoods, contiguous to the existent urban footprint.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #315
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
HONG KONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahehe_96 View Post

Those are mainly the Shin Ming/Kin Ming Estates and Choi Ming Court in Tiu Keng Leng/Wan.

Google Maps capture

All the highrises in the capture are public housing ...

281Production Youtube capture

Inside the library and sports center ...

A bit of Tui Keng Leng history ...

skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #316
The Polman

Likes (Received): 720

Quote:

Correct. Especially at this density, when more than twenty levels stack up, then having the ground floor filled with shops, services and restaurants is always profitable. In the worst case an office canteen could be extended to the outside with terraces but what in heaven's name is going wrong?

The reason why many Western cities are a success, the sole reason why Rotterdam climbed up, is because the ground floors of many of these buildings they built in the past thirty years are vivid, always have an influx of people at least or people have their destination somewhere on the street. The reason why Rotterdam Central station is a success is only partial because of its architectural quality - it has a good balance with amenities in the station, for which gates would not even be required in order to keep the place clear of beggars and drug dealers, they are only for the passengers who dare to go without a chip card.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #317
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10742

Quote:
But no, public housing are always built as the criminally disastrous "tower-in-a-park" type of development.
Really? I looked again, to make sure, over the posts made here in this thread for the last few months and I found literally not one example of the "tower in a park" type. There are towers in that example in Hong Kong, for sure, but they are insanely close to each other. Then there are the "detached house in the countryside" examples from Brazil, which are by far the worst. (What are they thinking?) I also noticed this example which is interesting because at a superficial look it can give the impression of bad planning, but if you imagine that particular allotment surrounded by city, then it looks like quite decent planning.

That said I agree with your observation (and Polman's just above) about ground levels that are completely barren of any activities. I know that such residential areas can't sustain much commerce, but there's still much that can be done. I get that people will go to the supermarket (or the highstreet) on a regular basis to save money and time, but there still are certain shops that can be accommodated, the kind of shops that one needs on a daily basis: bakeries, small groceries, newspaper stands, maybe barbershops... And a small restaurant / patisserie here and there. Then, quite a lot of space can be set for community spaces: laundromat rooms, reading rooms, table tennis rooms etc, which get more important the more the place is further away from the livelier spots of the city. You can leave space for associations, and, as is now the fashion, coworking spots. Shared gardens are great as well. Then there are the crêches, kindergartens, the schools, the playgrounds, the sports facilities... Edit: and I forgot ground level rooms for medical cabinets, which I find quite important. Such places tend to be badly served, so this would be an incentive for medics to set in by making it easy for them, instead of hoping they would do it on their own, because they won't...

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; August 18th, 2017 at 05:10 PM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #318
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19166

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
Then there are the "detached house in the countryside" examples from Brazil, which are by far the worst. (What are they thinking?)
As it was told several times, social housing is NOT built in the countryside, but contiguous to the urban footprint.

Londrina: https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-23..../data=!3m1!1e3

Lins: https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-21..../data=!3m1!1e3

São José do Rio Preto: https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-20..../data=!3m1!1e3

Araraquara: https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-21..../data=!3m1!1e3

São Carlos: https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-21..../data=!3m1!1e3

It's the same pattern everywhere, for obvious the most obvious reason: you won't build other houses on top of existent ones. Upmarket gated communities are also built on the outskirts.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #319
Barragon
Barra for Friends

Likes (Received): 7988

Portugal

jornaldoalgarve

Guimaraesdigital

bloghumanista

João Pimentel Ferreira

domussocial

associaçãospin

::Visita ao Alto Alentejo ::

Fat people are harder to kidnap
Barragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #320
ElRaval

Likes (Received): 3

I think the title is a bit misleading. Public Housing doesnt have to be for people with low income.
ElRaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote