daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 19th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #16501
thanseem
Registered User
 
thanseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,235
Likes (Received): 1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
I think, barring Passenger, Pretham, Varsham and recent Ramante Eden Thottam, his other movies had no interesting content as such.

I personally didn't like even Punalyan Agarbattis too as these don't have a realistic storyline.... I meant, you have realistic contexts and situtions, what what drives the story often looks cliched, unrealistic etc. For example, Punalyan Agarbattis had a very promising start, a realistic story, a very believable characterization called Joy Thakolkaran and situtions.... But how he achieve his objectives and later part of the story is really THATTIKOOT and unrealistic.

Same for Arjunan Sakshi as well as Molly Aunty rocks...

And big problem with him, is often getting too preachy on values and sometimes its as boring as Sunday Classes....

the one BIG thing that lack completely in his movies is സർഗാത്മകത....his writings are not based on life experiences,vast reading or observation skills..but only on superficial knowledge from social media, news papers and news channels...
__________________

nikku liked this post
thanseem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #16502
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

She was not born and brought up in Kerala so it is natural that she will wear modern outfits. Iam surprised the other way. How a girl raised in a metro outside Kerala got the feel of a typical Kerala village and how girls there behave when girls staying in Kerala themselves are not able to play naadan characters.

But otherwise her facial expressions and acting skills are excellent.

Draupadi is a typical example. I felt like I have watched a whole movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post

What I hate about her is her dressing sense in TV functions... She has a typical Nadan look, yet comes in modern outfits which look too ridiculous for her. May fit her, if she does a makeover like how Ramya Nambesan or Bhavana did eariler. But at now, it looks too weird.

Last edited by Kochi Resident; November 19th, 2017 at 06:56 PM.
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #16503
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

True. And Varsham was his best. But Passenger was the movie which really began the trend of 'new generation ' films even before Traffic, Salt and Pepper and Chappa Kurish released. It is a risk to shoot such a film with someone like Dileep in the main lead. In that matter Passenger was an experimental film in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
I think, barring Passenger, Pretham, Varsham and recent Ramante Eden Thottam, his other movies had no interesting content as such.
His films are all Thattikootu. That even Ramante Edanthottam was really boring, preachy and philosophical except for its climax

Quote:
I personally didn't like even Punalyan Agarbattis too as these don't have a realistic storyline.... I meant, you have realistic contexts and situtions, what what drives the story often looks cliched, unrealistic etc. For example, Punalyan Agarbattis had a very promising start, a realistic story, a very believable characterization called Joy Thakolkaran and situtions.... But how he achieve his objectives and later part of the story is really THATTIKOOT and unrealistic.

Same for Arjunan Sakshi as well as Molly Aunty rocks...
Getting preachy has become a regular thing in Malayalam films released now which is boring. Most of them give classes now. Not only Malayalam but even in some Bollywood films it is the same. Sathyan Anthikad is one director whose films turn very preachy specially during second half.

Quote:
And big problem with him, is often getting too preachy on values and sometimes its as boring as Sunday Classes....
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #16504
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

One thing which I remembered when we discussed about a recent short film was another one in which Bhavana acted. I liked it very much

Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #16505
navjot
Proud to be an Indian
 
navjot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kollam, L.A , Kochi, Palakkad
Posts: 2,135
Likes (Received): 1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanseem View Post
it faced severe degrading from rival star fans those days...
True..Big B did not become a huge commercial hit because of this and also since it released along with 2 other theatrical hits: Chotta Mumbai and Vinodayathra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
I think, barring Passenger, Pretham, Varsham and recent Ramante Eden Thottam, his other movies had no interesting content as such.

I personally didn't like even Punalyan Agarbattis too as these don't have a realistic storyline.... I meant, you have realistic contexts and situtions, what what drives the story often looks cliched, unrealistic etc. For example, Punalyan Agarbattis had a very promising start, a realistic story, a very believable characterization called Joy Thakolkaran and situtions.... But how he achieve his objectives and later part of the story is really THATTIKOOT and unrealistic.

Same for Arjunan Sakshi as well as Molly Aunty rocks...

And big problem with him, is often getting too preachy on values and sometimes its as boring as Sunday Classes....
I too did not like Punyalan first part. It was very average thattikootu movie.
We have seen much better movies like Varavelpu, Midhunam etc that show the life of struggling entrepreneurs.

Passenger and Ramante Edanthottam are the only 2 Ranjith Shankar movies I liked. Arjunan Sakshi had a good start but it fizzled out in the 2nd half.
__________________

mohammedirshad06 liked this post
navjot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #16506
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI
 
mohammedirshad06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kochi, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 23,352
Likes (Received): 10616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochi Resident View Post
True. And Varsham was his best. But Passenger was the movie which really began the trend of 'new generation ' films even before Traffic, Salt and Pepper and Chappa Kurish released. It is a risk to shoot such a film with someone like Dileep in the main lead. In that matter Passenger was an experimental film in 2009.

His films are all Thattikootu. That even Ramante Edanthottam was really boring, preachy and philosophical except for its climax

Getting preachy has become a regular thing in Malayalam films released now which is boring. Most of them give classes now. Not only Malayalam but even in some Bollywood films it is the same. Sathyan Anthikad is one director whose films turn very preachy specially during second half.

I didn't feel wrong with Ramante Edanthottam much, as much of its portions which otherwise would have felt boring, was brought alive thro' wonderful cinematography....I think its Nelliyampatty and the terrain gave some good frames which kept the mood intact .

Yes, its too preachy, but the subject was quite unusual. And with its philosophical outlook set in an apt cinematography, it really sync well...

I felt he has spark, but somewhere lost in stretching too a movie framework.

If he didn't have that spark, it would be too hard to conceptualize a movie like Passenger before the new wave and put it well on screen as a thriller format. But that was simply because it was his dream project and masterpiece as such. Beyond that, that signature is missing.

I basically loved Molly Aunty which brought Revathy back to Mollywood as LEAD character, not character roles. But somewhere some thing is missing.. That missing is felt in many movies of his.
__________________
My Kochi Rising
Cochin SSC | Kochi Metro Rail | Cochin Airport | Kochi Discussions |

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #16507
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI
 
mohammedirshad06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kochi, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 23,352
Likes (Received): 10616

Quote:
Originally Posted by navjot View Post
True..Big B did not become a huge commercial hit because of this and also since it released along with 2 other theatrical hits: Chotta Mumbai and Vinodayathra.



I too did not like Punyalan first part. It was very average thattikootu movie.
We have seen much better movies like Varavelpu, Midhunam etc that show the life of struggling entrepreneurs.

Passenger and Ramante Edanthottam are the only 2 Ranjith Shankar movies I liked. Arjunan Sakshi had a good start but it fizzled out in the 2nd half.
I personally loved Varsham much, not because of the story, rather because of Mammootty's acting. It was after a long time, we saw the real actor in him... I saw Varsham first and then Munnarriyappu. Thats why Varsham is something that I really loved. Perhaps the only movie of Mammootty that I watched without fast forward etc after Pranchiyettan.

Its simply outstanding... Though Mammootty has acted many such roles before, when he did that role again after a huge gap, it simply struck chords somewhere in my heart. Thats the only reason I felt Varsham was good.

Going by story, it too doesn't have a great script at all, rather more of sermons and philosophies.
__________________
My Kochi Rising
Cochin SSC | Kochi Metro Rail | Cochin Airport | Kochi Discussions |

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #16508
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI
 
mohammedirshad06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kochi, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 23,352
Likes (Received): 10616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochi Resident View Post
She was not born and brought up in Kerala so it is natural that she will wear modern outfits. Iam surprised the other way. How a girl raised in a metro outside Kerala got the feel of a typical Kerala village and how girls there behave when girls staying in Kerala themselves are not able to play naadan characters.

But otherwise her facial expressions and acting skills are excellent.

Draupadi is a typical example. I felt like I have watched a whole movie
I didn't knew she was raised outside Kerala. If so, then her acting in TD should get atleast a State award as even the minute expressions was so natural.



The scene in 2:42 seconds where she tries to give a hidden look to Suraj as if she just randomly show, its real gem of acting....

Indeed an acting powerhouse. She has a close resemblances to erst year actress Vidubala... But whatever, her dressing sense looks horrible in public functions.
__________________
My Kochi Rising
Cochin SSC | Kochi Metro Rail | Cochin Airport | Kochi Discussions |

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED

Last edited by mohammedirshad06; November 19th, 2017 at 08:09 PM.
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 07:37 AM   #16509
thanseem
Registered User
 
thanseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,235
Likes (Received): 1583

Punyalan review..wat exactly i felt

http://www.marunadanmalayali.com/cin...bathis-2-89758
thanseem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #16510
FRANKTHRISSUR
Registered User
 
FRANKTHRISSUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Trichur city
Posts: 7,730
Likes (Received): 4128

FRANKTHRISSUR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #16511
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite
 
Malayaali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kochi/Cochin
Posts: 19,311
Likes (Received): 7074

Vannu vannu movie posters vare collection mathram aayi!
__________________
facebook/Kochi Konnect
www.KochiKonnect.com

navjot liked this post
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #16512
FRANKTHRISSUR
Registered User
 
FRANKTHRISSUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Trichur city
Posts: 7,730
Likes (Received): 4128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayaali View Post
Vannu vannu movie posters vare collection mathram aayi!
ഇപ്പൊ ഇതും ഒരു പ്രൊമോഷൻ തന്ത്രമാണ്... അത് പുലിമുരുകൻ, ദി ഗ്രേറ്റ് ഫാദർ, ചങ്ക്*സ് , രാമലീല തുടങ്ങീ സിനിമകൾക്ക് കണ്ടതാണ്..
FRANKTHRISSUR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #16513
Viniltcr
Registered User
 
Viniltcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,102
Likes (Received): 7647

One of Anticipated movie of the Year

__________________
If you find a Paradise of Culture ...you are in Center of Kerala ,Yes you are in Thrissur-Cultural Capital of Kerala

City of Gold & Banks
City of Entrepreneurs
City of Arts and Festivals
City of Ayurveda and Healthcare
City surrounded by Natural Beauty
3rd largest urban agglomeration in Kerala
City of Splendid Lifestyle and Shopping experience
City of Excellent Educational Institutions & Headquarters of KUHS,KAU etc..


Thrissur city - Cultural Capital City Of Kerala
https://www.facebook.com/ilovethrissurcity

Last edited by Viniltcr; November 20th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.
Viniltcr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #16514
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

She is from Mumbai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimisha_Sajayan

I too felt that she has a resemblance to some actresses of 70's and a slight resemblance to Meera Nandan.

Hope she becomes successful in Malayalam film industry. During the golden era which you discuss often we had several such actresses who were at the top because of their girl next door looks and powerhouse performances. None of them were beauties in its true meaning.

But now again heroines are for name sake barring Manju Warrier or Parvathy and to some extent Mamta Mohandas.

Aparna, Prayaga and Rejisha are not able to reach that level. But I have high hopes on Nimisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
I didn't knew she was raised outside Kerala. If so, then her acting in TD should get atleast a State award as even the minute expressions was so natural.

The scene in 2:42 seconds where she tries to give a hidden look to Suraj as if she just randomly show, its real gem of acting....

Indeed an acting powerhouse. She has a close resemblances to erst year actress Vidubala... But whatever, her dressing sense looks horrible in public functions.
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16515
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

These films collection are not at all exaggerated. We are better compared to other industries of South where collection is just blown up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKTHRISSUR View Post
ഇപ്പൊ ഇതും ഒരു പ്രൊമോഷൻ തന്ത്രമാണ്... അത് പുലിമുരുകൻ, ദി ഗ്രേറ്റ് ഫാദർ, ചങ്ക്*സ് , രാമലീല തുടങ്ങീ സിനിമകൾക്ക് കണ്ടതാണ്..
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:09 AM   #16516
navjot
Proud to be an Indian
 
navjot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kollam, L.A , Kochi, Palakkad
Posts: 2,135
Likes (Received): 1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochi Resident View Post
Getting preachy has become a regular thing in Malayalam films released now which is boring. Most of them give classes now. Not only Malayalam but even in some Bollywood films it is the same. Sathyan Anthikad is one director whose films turn very preachy specially during second half.
The mother of all preachy movies is Charlie. Could'nt stand the movie and the character and in my opinion the most overrated movie in recent years. It's a shame Dulquar got an award for this role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
I personally loved Varsham much, not because of the story, rather because of Mammootty's acting. It was after a long time, we saw the real actor in him... I saw Varsham first and then Munnarriyappu. Thats why Varsham is something that I really loved. Perhaps the only movie of Mammootty that I watched without fast forward etc after Pranchiyettan.

Its simply outstanding... Though Mammootty has acted many such roles before, when he did that role again after a huge gap, it simply struck chords somewhere in my heart. Thats the only reason I felt Varsham was good.

Going by story, it too doesn't have a great script at all, rather more of sermons and philosophies.

I am yet to watch Varsham.
Another good Ranjtih Shankar movie which we left out is Sudhi Vatmeekam. Had a decent storyline, which was made memorable by Jayasurya's terrific performance.
navjot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 11:16 AM   #16517
PPJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore/Calicut
Posts: 2,758
Likes (Received): 1267

Quote:
Originally Posted by navjot View Post
The mother of all preachy movies is Charlie. Could'nt stand the movie and the character and in my opinion the most overrated movie in recent years. It's a shame Dulquar got an award for this role.




I am yet to watch Varsham.
Another good Ranjtih Shankar movie which we left out is Sudhi Vatmeekam. Had a decent storyline, which was made memorable by Jayasurya's terrific performance.
Charlie was more teen fantasy movie I would say. Such movies work with adolescents and some adults maybe .

Ramante edentottum I would still say its the worse than Charlie. Kunchacko boban and its story was disaster.

Varsham storyline wise its age old forumula - Senti adi. And it was a failure indeed. I really dont believe Mamootty had performed well simple because there wasnt much to perform!. I prefer munaryipu to varsham. Its different kind and would definitely interest only a few and mamooty did the role well.
__________________

Malayaali, Kochi Resident liked this post
PPJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:50 PM   #16518
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

Charlie is now remade into Marathi. By the way I didnt find Charlie preachy. Ramante Edanthottam was preachy and dragging except for the climax.
Parava too was preachy and I feel that movie was overrated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by navjot View Post
The mother of all preachy movies is Charlie. Could'nt stand the movie and the character and in my opinion the most overrated movie in recent years. It's a shame Dulquar got an award for this role.




I am yet to watch Varsham.
Another good Ranjtih Shankar movie which we left out is Sudhi Vatmeekam. Had a decent storyline, which was made memorable by Jayasurya's terrific performance.

Last edited by Kochi Resident; November 21st, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 07:04 PM   #16519
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

I feel now our filmmakers should think of making a science fiction movie. It might do wonders at box office if they do it on a lavish budget and if they have a fresh theme. Something like Koi Mil Gaya .

Also it is a long time since we have seen a spy thriller genre movie like Mohanlals Manthrikam. I really enjoyed the movie though there was no logic at all.

New generation movies/feel good movies with a message in the end have become jaded and repitative
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 07:17 PM   #16520
Kochi Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,868
Likes (Received): 1347

Agree with you on Charlie and Ramante Edanthottam. But Varsham was a very meaningful movie.

It showed Mammotty closer to his age and not only that he is a pretty normal human character with slight grey shades. He is a selfish and protective father and little bit snobbish too which is typical of millionaires.

And it is not just a senti movie.These are instances can happen in anybody's life. That was the touching point in the film

Who said Mammotty had nothing to perform? It was one of his best performances after Pranchiyettan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPJ View Post
Charlie was more teen fantasy movie I would say. Such movies work with adolescents and some adults maybe .

Ramante edentottum I would still say its the worse than Charlie. Kunchacko boban and its story was disaster.

Varsham storyline wise its age old forumula - Senti adi. And it was a failure indeed. I really dont believe Mamootty had performed well simple because there wasnt much to perform!. I prefer munaryipu to varsham. Its different kind and would definitely interest only a few and mamooty did the role well.
Kochi Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu