daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #221
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
rumour has it they'll have a statue of a giant squid sucking the life out of capitalism.
I thought it was more traditional to have a picture of the chairman hanging in the boardroom!
Rational Plan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #222
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12360

i think the chairman may object to a picture of him being hung from the gallows
gothicform no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #223
Rational Plan

Curzon street block, Mayfair

Knocking down 50's brick office block for some stately limestone creation.

This massive building will contain just 25 flats. There are some jaw dropping floorplans.
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #224
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Well it's probably too close to St Paul's for a skyscraper.

Fleet Building with Plumtree Court visible behind:

Fleet Building, Farringdon Street, London by World of Good, on Flickr

Proposed building from the same angle:
Great to see such an ugly building is gonna bite the dust but that amount of sq could be in a tower :-(
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #225
gothicform
Bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Knocking down 50's brick office block for some stately limestone creation.

This massive building will contain just 25 flats. There are some jaw dropping floorplans.
i'm liking their residential work. the renovation of international house (is that the one???) is another example of it - very new york i think. don't know if it's ever been posted but here it is -
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #226
Rational Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
i'm liking their residential work. the renovation of international house (is that the one) is another example of it - very new york i think. don't know if it's ever been posted but here it is -
Detail, ooh layered fenestration, a tapered roof! I feel faint!
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #227
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 14

I think the building on Curzon was actually a residential building, known to our trade purely for the now defunct Mirabelle's Restaurant.
I'm too liking that on Paddington Street/Chiltern Street.
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #228
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 128

Hot dig-adi dam, London is making it's steady but surly recovery from WWII.
jamiefearon no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #229
The Champ

Likes (Received): 467

Cant seem to find a thread for this one, but I know its been mentioned before

http://www.hilsonmoran.com/News/Arti...redevelopment/

Current building has now completely gone! was there last time I walked down Cheapside, now totally demolished
"The public suddenly saw him in a new light, the two-handed fighter who stormed forward, a flame of pure fire in the ring, strong, native, affable, easy of speech, close to the people in word and deed and feeling."
The Champ no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #230
vank

Is this already known?

Quote:
Green light for £500m London twin tower scheme

Developer CLS has won planning approval for its 50-storey twin tower scheme at Vauxhall Square in London.

The £1.6m sq ft mixed-use scheme for the 3-acre site in the Nine Elms area includes 410 flats in the towers, student rooms, a large hotel and four screen cinema with surrounding shopping and cafes.

Construction work is expected to cost more than £500m and will begin in 2015.

CLS said it would now progress discussions on phasing, design, pre-letting and funding options.

Chief executive officer of CLS, Richard Tice, said: ”We are delighted to have secured this major planning approval in the main Central London regeneration area, which is undergoing rapid transformation and attracting the attention of investors worldwide.

“The project is expected to create over 5,000 construction jobs, 2,000 permanent jobs, and deliver more than £500m of inward investment into the Vauxhall area.”

Included within the proposal is a giant walkway, which would allow pedestrians to cross the Vauxhall gyratory. The public realm area will be as large as the City of London’s Paternoster Square.

• 520 new homes, consisting of 410 private homes in two 50 storey towers and a further 110 affordable homes
  • 22,732 sq m of offices
  • 3,119 sq m of retail space
  • 278 bedroom hotel and a 123 suite hotel, a 50 bedroom new hostel for the homeless and 359 student rooms
  • 3,777 sq m multi-screen cinema and associated community facilities substantial new public square and public realm improvements

Helen Fisher, Programme Director for Nine Elms on the South Bank, said: “Vauxhall Square is the latest in a series of major planning consents across Nine Elms on the South Bank and comes just weeks after the Chancellor announced a £1bn loan guarantee for the Tube extension to Battersea.

“This is by far the biggest development programme in London and will one of the greatest drivers of new jobs and homes in the UK for many years to come.”
http://www.constructionenquirer.com - 19th december

---

Hope that flats will have more living space. Something like +80m².
vank no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #231
delores

Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Well it's probably too close to St Paul's for a skyscraper.

Fleet Building with Plumtree Court visible behind:

image hosted on flickr

Fleet Building, Farringdon Street, London by World of Good, on Flickr

Proposed building from the same angle:

could this proposal be more banal and crap? for such a bank is this all they can come up with?
delores no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #232
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
could this proposal be more banal and crap? for such a bank is this all they can come up with?
If you were one of the most despised financial institutions in the world...would you want to draw attention to yourself with a piece of stand out show piece architecture..?
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #233
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 14

Farringdon Street as a precongestion charge trunk route is still suffering from it's former role. Now devoid of the constant procession of trucks couldn't the street be made a more welcoming thoroughfare by planting some trees down the centre of the road or something? Afterall there is room.
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #234
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 11734

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN_EUROPE View Post
Wow looks great! Putney people don't like modernity much, as a rule... I'd love to live in Putney though, so what does that tell you about me?

Anyway, I think the design is great and hope construction starts soon.
i do live in putney and I think that design is awful!

Or perhaps I should say that render is awful - hard to judge a design from one render at the best of times, and that render isn't the best of times. (the render's also a bit crap in that it totally doesn't show the building facing onto the high street - had to read the design pdf you linked to make any sense of it!)

That said even if it is as awful as it appears, build it as far as i'm concerned. It's not like it's a beauty spot (I used to work in the red building at the back), the police building is a right brick. And I'd rather have something like that than more totally generic stuff.

would be a bit surprised if it's approved though

My London development & construction photos: • by area/project • by year
My Urban Showcase threads: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Orkney • Bristol • Lisbon • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #235
gothicform
Bossman

unfortunately there aren't any good quality images of it to be found. from what i can see it looks good, and check out the architect too - they only do quality stuff.
Old January 15th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #236
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 15637

Yeah, there isn't even a decent render in the planning documents. However, this gives you an idea of the external look, as they've listed what materials they plan on using in this image:

RMB2007 no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #237
Rational Plan

Lots of new applications now arriving.

Detailed app for the Curtain site just north of Broadgate and the Principal place development. Mainly 9 to 12 storey office buildings and ground floor retail, but with a 40 storey residential tower.

Plans have been filed with Hackney Council for a 150,000 sq ft development in Shoreditch. The project, dubbed Shoreditch Village, would be built on the old car-park opposite the Tea Building, currently beloved of street artists and fashion shoots.

The redevelopment, designed by architects Ellis Miller, would be mixed-use, with offices, a hotel, and a handful of new homes, propped up by ‘edgy, aspirational stores that typify the streets and culture of Shoreditch’. With construction unlikely to start until the end of next year, the nearby retail rival of Boxpark should be coming to the end of its enduring ‘pop-up’ tenure by the time the development is open for business.

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #238
Rational Plan

The most exciting possible development is the Denmark street development above the crossrail tunnels. It's not tall (above those tunnels!) 4 buildings of about 4 and 5 storeys. Consisting of a few flats in the refurbished historic buildings a small hotel anout 5 pubs/restaurants all on different floors and some retail space.

The most exciting part is that these all sit above a 800 person venue in the basement. Unfortunately it sounds a bit posh for GAY to move back, as it's described as suitable for award ceremonies, fashion show and live music events. As it's new it won't be the old skanky Astoria and the acts it used to attract. But still it brings back a major entertain space.

Also to whet the appetites of those here there is something described as an "Urban Gallery" consisting of 20,000 sq ft of LED light displays. Though it looks like it is to be contained in a semi open space with one of the buildings that can be screened off for events. From the sounds of it they might have to give warnings to epiletics.

Though there are mountains of planning documents already, it's mostly reams of structural reports about building above tunnels and a million soil samples. For example all the elevation drawings just consist steel sections. Nothing as of yet to show you what it looks like.

I do have a couple of floor plans.

Reading more, it seems this Urban Gallery will be a big space with all the walls and ceilings covered in LED screens which can be hired by brands looking to market something. It is designed to be digitively interactive so consumers can point there smart phones at products on screens and purchase.

Last edited by Rational Plan; January 16th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #239
Rational Plan

New Student Blocks near St Pancras Hospital, built above a retained Builders Merchants for Travis Perkins.

Old January 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #240
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 665

Informative posts! The kind I like most.

Thank you.
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: