daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #281
delores

Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
wow. i'd seen earlier proposals for *something* on here but had no idea they'd do this.
Shame the development didn't rid the street of the building on the corner.
delores no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #282
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 216

They're not hanging around - after getting planning in January, demolition has already started on York House, the site of the Urbanest student residence at the south end of Westminster Bridge - site now surrounded by lime green hoardings, scaffolding up, and quite a lot of activity in the building with what looks like a strip out underway.
Swissdave no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #283
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 675

Debenhams should be starting on it's refurbishment soon.

As it was not going to contemplate closure with taking off it dour concrete skin, it's going to open up the corners with glass displays and cover the rest in a translucent skin that should especially good at night.

There will also be a big internal refit.

Officer Dibble liked this post
Rational Plan no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #284
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6364

Yes I think this is going to look quite fun.
DarJoLe no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #285
TheLimboKing

Likes (Received): 44

Looks damn good...London just doesn't stop does it?
TheLimboKing no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #286
flare

Likes (Received): 145

Debenhams looks great in those renders, much needed as it is definitely the poor cousin to John Lewis and HoF on Oxford St at present.
flare no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #287
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 669

I suppose it will be an improvement in a way. But personally I find town-centre developments like this, where large shops start to look like big lumps of shiny plastic, tacky.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #288
potto

Likes (Received): 9114

I disagree, retail is meant to be fantastical and eye catching, like Selfridges, Libertys and the M&M store. With the high street dying all around it desperately needs to create an appropriate response. Most of the post war build including the latest developments along Oxford Street are either pokey or dull or both. A strange mixture for flagship retail.

Oxford Street should be more like Ginza in Tokyo and would top it minus the traffic.

Officer Dibble, Jamsterx liked this post
potto no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #289
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6063

Not sure if this has found it's way onto the site anywhere.

50 Camelite (former daily mail office on Victoria Embankment) is being reclad to make it more sympathetic to its neighbouring buildings.

Now :

Plan :

http://www.freeofficefinder.com/offi...-office-space/

Officer Dibble, Loathing liked this post
Octoman no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #290
potto

well that doesnt work at all. What are they thinking.

the existing white contrast helps the older red brick buildings either side stand on their own so the obvious modern office floor heights and heavy po mo effects dont spoil things.

The new plan just merges it all uncomfortably and induces a headache.

The vertical bit on the left is the only successful part. If that were a story higher and the rest 1 story lower it might pass.

Officer Dibble, Core Rising liked this post
potto no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #291
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

The motion and movement on the Debenhams building will be a fantastic visual - constantly changing as you walk towards and past by the building. Oxford street is actually producing some decent contemporary architecture since Crossrail has started construction, just a shame the general urban realm hasn't caught up.
.Adam está en línea ahora  
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #292
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 669

@potto, I think most people agree with you re retail; the truth is I'm with you when it looks like Selfridges and not when it looks like Liberty or M&Ms. Personal taste, I guess.

Completely agree re 50 Camelite - there may be good reasons for the reclad, but if sympathy for its neighbours is the rationale then it's a complete failure.
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #293
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6063

I suspect it is trying to squeeze out maximum floorplate as well. However, I work nearby and got a chance to eyeball the 'scoping doc' or whatever it is officially called. One of their aims was to improve the rythm of that part of the embankment.

I quite liked the existing building myself. It certainly didn't stand out as being particularly nasty. It is opposite sea containers house and that side of the river has far more aesthetic sins.

Also, it is already a mixture of white stone and red brick older buildings so I really cant see the need for brick cladding. Looking at the render again it is really just a typical modern box with what will probably look like fairly cheap strips of immitation brick cladding.
Octoman no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #294
delores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Not sure if this has found it's way onto the site anywhere.

50 Camelite (former daily mail office on Victoria Embankment) is being reclad to make it more sympathetic to its neighbouring buildings.

Now :

Plan :

http://www.freeofficefinder.com/offi...-office-space/
Is it impossible for architects to design something delicate and uplifting along the river. This is not a good design for its location another Lumpen building with no contextual understanding or beauty.
delores no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:48 AM   #295
RugBurn

Likes (Received): 3

^ tis true.....the buildings near the millennium bridge on the north bank are very bad
RugBurn no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #296
TheLimboKing

Likes (Received): 44

The City of London Boys School I can accept, the color is a nice contrast to the white stone of St Paul's, but the two buildings on the far left I hate with a passion, especially the one with the green roof. The way it obstructs the cathedral from some views to the SW is shocking.

Last edited by TheLimboKing; February 21st, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
TheLimboKing no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM   #297
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12362

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
The motion and movement on the Debenhams building will be a fantastic visual - constantly changing as you walk towards and past by the building. Oxford street is actually producing some decent contemporary architecture since Crossrail has started construction, just a shame the general urban realm hasn't caught up.
it's quite exciting. i haven't seen a mention of ned kahn here but he's the one who has actually designed the facade. he's a sculptor who is famous for exploiting fluid mechanics in his works. this should, in theory, see the facade ripple and reflect wind patterns. he's done it successfully in other places so it should work here too.

http://nedkahn.com/

it's going to be really exciting.
gothicform no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM   #298
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

Absolutley, his work is really great.

I've said a number of times how bad the Debenhams department store looks and feels, It's a wonder anyone actually still goes in with its bad eighties decor, cheap fixtures and fittings. I'm really pleasantly surprised that they have gone for something so bold when we all know they could have 'tarted it up' a little on the cheap.

This feels like a great step in the right direction, a typical High Street this is not, stores on Oxford street should be an experience like no other found around the country.
.Adam está en línea ahora  
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #299
potto

or the world!

.Adam liked this post
potto no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:48 PM   #300
delores

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLimboKing View Post
The City of London Boys School I can accept, the color is a nice contrast to the white stone of St Paul's, but the two buildings on the far left I hate with a passion, especially the one with the green roof. The way it obstructs the cathedral from some views to the SW is shocking.

really? I find it a cheap looking building not befitting its location personally.
delores no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: