daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 02:34 AM   #461
danm

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post

Looks good, much improved on how it is currently.
danm está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:40 PM   #462
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 669

I do not like Chipperfield's work. Elizabeth House at Waterloo and Decathlon at Canada Water are two examples of high-quality Chipperfield designs which I find ugly. I find this reclad proposal ugly too. But my God it's a huge improvement over what's there now (which, funnily enough, is also true of the Waterloo and Canada Water sites).
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:44 PM   #463
Vnofd5
Lord of the Cornish Pasty

Likes (Received): 274

Seconded -I think he's extremely overrated but can't argue with this redesign... i'd take anything as a reclad tbh.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:48 PM   #464
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 3960

Chipperfield's signature style is emerging. There are similarities with One Pancras Square at Kings Cross in respect of the tubular piers (those used at Kings Cross are cast iron). I'm not sure that this is appropriate in Victoria but it is certainly an improvement on the current Portland House. I think it will appear even more dominating from St James's Park and the Palace than currently. That can't be an improvement! His Elizabeth House proposal also features strong rounded piers. It's certainly a removal from the flat glass facades that are now becoming so boring.
gravesVpelli no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #465
gravesVpelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Looks good, much improved on how it is currently.
A great improvement on what is a silly roundabout with a decidedly awkward and unflattering Victorian statue of Albert
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:38 PM   #466
delores

Likes (Received): 467

My only issue is that Victoria has too many styles going on now. I have no problem with Chipperfield its those glassy edifices next door that look a bit daft.
delores no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:21 AM   #467
Zin5ki
Unimposing goose

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroydonTown View Post
I believe the scheme will also extend the tower sideways. Making it somewhat fatter...
This will make it possible to walk to Farringdon without having to run the gauntlet. Whilst this certainly aids convenience, the thrill of the challenge will be lost.

Loathing liked this post
Zin5ki no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:08 AM   #468
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
My office just received an email about the Holborn Circus Area Enhancement Scheme.

Work is apparently due to get underway next week, with completion scheduled for Spring 2014.

Currently among the most dangerous junctions in London, the improvements will make it far more pedestrian-friendly.

Although making the junction more pedestrian friendly and safer is obviousy welcome, the paving design and elements make absolutely no reference to the fact that this junction, created when the street was redesigned with Holborn Viaduct improvement in the 1860s, is historically and formally a round "circus" with the bronze statue at the centre. For this reason I find this design disappointing as it appears to have little real understanding and respect for the Victorian grand urban design intent of this western "gateway" (so to speak) to the Holborn Viaduct. With a little aesthetic consideration this may have been able to have been much improved. Perhaps this will happen when the junction is redesigned next time - probably will happen in a decade or two.

On a good note though, at least the statue is retained and faces east as originally planned. It would be nice if some of the older city statuary which was relocated in the 20th century could be returned to its original sites.

Last edited by Black Cat; June 1st, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Black Cat no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:18 AM   #469
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroydonTown View Post
I believe the scheme will also extend the tower sideways. Making it somewhat fatter...
...and perhaps more profitable?

Vnofd5 liked this post
Black Cat no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #470
chest

Likes (Received): 13333

couldnt find a thread for this - but looks interesting

10 Finsbury Square

my website

my flickr

jake-potato liked this post
chest está en línea ahora  
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #471
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

10 Finsbury Square has to be one of the coolest sites in the City. It's a shame they couldn't have built something better -- something translucent enough to bridge the two parks.

Loathing no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #472
The Champ

What a beast of a lump that UBS Building is gonna be
"The public suddenly saw him in a new light, the two-handed fighter who stormed forward, a flame of pure fire in the ring, strong, native, affable, easy of speech, close to the people in word and deed and feeling."
The Champ no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #473
delores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
10 Finsbury Square has to be one of the coolest sites in the City. It's a shame they couldn't have built something better -- something translucent enough to bridge the two parks.

Agree its a bit of a lost opportunity to do something really special, it's not bad just could of been alot better. The rear elevation is seriously dull shame the curves didn't make it there. http://10finsburysquare.com/gallery/...ml#ad-image-10
delores no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #474
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Don't know if it has been mentioned but there's an application for the site of 30 Marsh Wall as it seems they are planning a resi tower of around 150m in height.

Link

Also I think the 127m tower at 40 Marsh Wall next door is supposed to be starting work soon.

Vnofd5, jake-potato liked this post
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #475
TheMoses

Likes (Received): 121

Application for Prince Consort House is now in: http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onlin...=MNNTSVBO03F00

I don't know if there's a thread for this but if there is I haven't seen it.
TheMoses no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #476
gravesVpelli

SE9 wants to create an up-to-date Full Summary. This is a good idea as most of the major proposals listed have either been scuppered, cancelled, suspended, spat out or modified to such an extent that they have little relevance in the current situation. I welcome this.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #477
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Check out the last few pages on the London projects and construction thread to see the new Fully Summary of Projects.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=315079
Core Rising no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #478
Medo

Likes (Received): 522

Continued here
Medo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: