search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Buffalo / Niagara Falls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #3441
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Has anyone gone to Qdoba yet? The selection is rather good.

I had it in the falls with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago ...... it was good but a little more expensive then Chipotle or Moes.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #3442
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 15779

What Is Buffalo Billions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit the
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #3443
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Its on my to do list , I didn't like Chipoltle... Moe's is nice if you want a filling meal..

< 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized

Visit the
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #3444
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Likes (Received): 1660

With Moes and Chipotle, I'm actially the opposite! I'm sure you'd like Qdoba though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
What Is Buffalo Billions?

Unfortunate that it's made its way to the downstate media. Just shows how large the corruption is. It's tarnished the reputation of my school as well. I was well aware of this kind of thing for a while because I was involved in some student level politics. They should have never merged.

A secret: If you look at my signature, Utica actually matches my school colors. That might change soon enough.

Utica (/ˈjuːtɨkə/)...starts with you!

Like ≠ Endorsement

Last edited by Buffaboy; May 17th, 2016 at 12:57 PM.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #3445
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

I always thought these were ugly town homes by the lake because of their 70s-ish exterior. That's actually not the case and you'd be surprised at how they look on the inside (although the bathroom could get an update for the price).

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/r...na=ha_buff_hod

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #3446
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
With Moes and Chipotle, I'm actially the opposite! I'm sure you'd like Qdoba though.

Unfortunate that it's made its way to the downstate media. Just shows how large the corruption is. It's tarnished the reputation of my school as well. I was well aware of this kind of thing for a while because I was involved in some student level politics. They should have never merged.

A secret: If you look at my signature, Utica actually matches my school colors. That might change soon enough.
Such a shameful , this scandal originally started downstate...then it expanded Upstate... To be fair , are you really surprised considered how fast certain projects got approved and moved forward...

Visit the Reorganized

Visit the
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #3447
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

You're right, the speed certainly is questionable especially coming from a public entity. They put up a nearly billion dollar research incubator up on my campus, I watched it go up in only 2 years. Today the only tenant there is a security guard, but they say they're waiting on General Electric.

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:17 AM   #3448
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

There was a shooting in the kitchen of the Anchor Bar the other day as many of you may know. Very unusual kind of shooting, although they're all uncalled for anyways. But the details are interesting:

Quote:
Freddie Dizon showed up for work in the Anchor Bar’s kitchen more than an hour late on Friday, muttering something about being followed.

Two hours later, Dizon, 32, lay wounded from bullets fired into his chest at close range. The father of three was pronounced dead at Erie County Medical Center.

“I just know that Freddie was upset throughout the whole day, saying that someone was following him,” said Ray Hogue, a line chef who was just feet away from Dizon when the gunfire erupted and was grazed in the back by a ricocheting bullet or a fragment.

Hogue said his workmate told him Friday and during the week that someone wanted to hurt him. The conflict might have had something to do with one of Dizon’s sons, Hogue said.

Buffalo police are aware of this, he added. But by Sunday afternoon, homicide detectives had announced no arrest, and police spokesman Michael J. DeGeorge did not return telephone messages about the investigation. So Dizon’s killer could still be at large.

Meanwhile, the restaurant at 1047 Main St. that originated the Buffalo chicken wing reopened at noon Sunday – 41 hours after the shooting – to a steady flow of customers.

The Anchor Bar had said in a statement that it “will not allow this act of senseless violence to keep us from serving the good people of this city.”

Dizon’s brother, a former Anchor Bar employee now living in Utah, began seeking donations on the GoFundMe website for Dizon’s children.

“My brother was murdered in cold blood at his place of employment where he made a living to provide for his three kids,” Danny Gomez wrote in his appeal. “He was such a fun-loving, talented, and good person who didn’t deserve this cowardly senseless tragedy.”

Hogue said he began his shift around 3 p.m. Friday, his customary starting time. Dizon was to have started soon after. On a typical Friday night, the pair would work side by side for hours.

This past Friday, Dizon showed up after 5, looking uneasy and preoccupied, Hogue said. At around 7, Dizon ventured into a nearby hallway, where some supplies are kept.

Hogue said he never saw the masked gunman. He later learned that the assailant had come in through a back door, walked purposefully behind Hogue and the other busy kitchen workers and confronted Dizon as he made his way from the hallway back to his workstation.

Then came the shots, three at first.

“Pop, pop, pop,” Hogue said in describing them. The other employees went into a crouch, and so did Hogue. But unlike the others, Hogue first felt something hot hit the center of his back. Hot metal had bounced, perhaps off a refrigerator, and sizzled into him. He was treated at ECMC and discharged.

The wounded Dizon retreated back in the direction from which he had come. He staggered out into a dining area and eventually out the front door before he collapsed, Hogue said. Patrons were scrambling, too, according to police.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...hreat-20160522

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old June 11th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #3449
benp

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
Because it is very much a Buffalo thing. I lived in a residential neighborhood in Pgh (Shadyside) for several years and three 15 story plus apartment houses went up quickly and with zero opposition. People there realize they are living in a City and innately understand that a city that refuses to grow is a city that will surely die
UPMC's plan to build hospital in Pleasant Hills would 'destroy' the neighborhood, opponents say
http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201601280201

Residents oppose redevelopment plan in East Liberty
http://pittsburgh.suntimes.com/pit-n...n-east-liberty

Residents Oppose TV Station's Building Plan for Neighborhood
https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P...r-neighborhood

East End retail plan draws opposition from community group
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201406090047

Mount Washington residents, developer remain at odds over 2 condo projects
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/200707290147

A $230 million hotel and retail project planned for the site was placed on hold in December when it failed to gain support of neighborhood groups.
http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib.../s_622917.html
benp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #3450
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 3175

Now that Cleveland broke its championship drought, the "Big Three" of cities from about 10 years go that have a championship drought - Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Buffalo - is down to one. ESPN did an article on the most championship-starved city now. You will be surprised at #1.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...-diego-buffalo

Buffaboy liked this post
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #3451
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Can you believe that Ithaca is getting a project like this? The only one here that compares is the Willoughby Exchange thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Here are the drawings submitted to the city of Ithaca planning board for a new preposal for the Trebloc property.

http://www.cityofithaca.org/DocumentCenter/View/4876

Hopefully this one goes better than the last developer's effort.

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old July 21st, 2016, 02:36 PM   #3452
fubo

Likes (Received): 444

Here is a link to population rankings for NFL cities. Based upon population within 75 miles with Canada EXCLUDED.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...a_market_size/
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:52 AM   #3453
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Word on the street is that Uber is not in Buffalo because DWI lawyers have been lobbying the Assembly against it so they can have a steady stream of cases, which is sickening if true...

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old August 7th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #3454
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Quote:
The Buffalo Niagara region still has a ways to go to catch up with the New Economy.

While advanced manufacturing is a hot topic in the Buffalo Niagara region, other types of advanced industries, from computer systems design to semiconductors and web search portals, are vastly underrepresented here.

The result: Our advanced industries are growing much slower than the rest of the country, and they make up a below-average portion of our overall economy, according to a new report from the Brookings Institute.

That’s bad news for the Buffalo Niagara region because advanced industries are where it’s at in the New Economy. They depend on lots of research and development money, and they rely heavily on workers with skills in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Those New Economy jobs are a big deal – and highly coveted – because they pack a big economic punch. Advanced industry jobs pay really well. In the Buffalo Niagara region, they pay an average of $73,529 a year. That’s almost two-thirds more than the $44,965 average for all jobs in the region last year.
http://www.buffalonews.com/business/...egion-20160807

Of course this is at the end:

Like ≠ Endorsement

Last edited by Buffaboy; August 7th, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old August 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM   #3455
fubo

It must really suck to go through life as Doug Clinton. What a sad person he seems to be.

Buffaboy liked this post
Old August 8th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #3456
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old August 17th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #3457
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

This is about as random of a post as can be, but while scanning thousands of old pictures into my computer last night I came across one where I was about 5 or 6, and my late grandmother was holding a copy of the News, and the story on it was "Arch organizers searching for right site," as if such a pipe dream were going to happen at the time. Of course when I was 5 I could barely put a sentence together.

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #3458
Jimi C

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
This is about as random of a post as can be, but while scanning thousands of old pictures into my computer last night I came across one where I was about 5 or 6, and my late grandmother was holding a copy of the News, and the story on it was "Arch organizers searching for right site," as if such a pipe dream were going to happen at the time. Of course when I was 5 I could barely put a sentence together.
Ha, the first buffalo development thread might be older than you. I remember that being discussed on here like it was yesterday.
Jimi C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #3459
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Well the article was from 2001, so I don't know if it's THAT recent. I'm 20.

My guess is that it was when the idea was initially floated around.

Like ≠ Endorsement
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:55 AM   #3460
fubo

For the third month in a row, the Buffalo Niagara region posted record-high private sector job growth, according to preliminary figures released Thursday by the state Department of Labor.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/...-july-20160818

The region added 4,400 jobs in July, growing the region’s number of total nonfarm jobs to 560,700. That’s an increase of just less than 1 percent, making this the healthiest July on record since the government began tracking the statistic in 1990.

“The metro area has added more private sector jobs over the past year than any other upstate area,” said James H. Ross, a labor market analyst with the labor department.

The biggest gains were in retail trade, which increased 5.4 percent; educational services, which increased 4.9 percent; and food services and drinking places, up 3.7 percent.

Since 2012, its lowest point in the recession, the region has added 31,900 private sector jobs.