SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Your Personal Property Investments & The UAE Real Estate Market

Tags
dubai
5M views 38K replies 2K participants last post by  ee87 
#1 ·
actually there have been so many threads about specific questions on specific properties like towers.

in my opinion it has become too much and a lot of double threads have been created.

this is why i go for a new sticky thread in which everybody is welcomed to ask our members about their views on specific property, private investment ambitions and the property market in general.

#23,061 ·
Btw , such protectionism would be good for local market as more money would be invested locally :)

Few days ago I remember reading interview of head of ADIA and he mentioned that 80 % of funds are invested in international market. Just imagine 80 % of that 500 billion USD coming back to local market . I think govt from US / India would come on its knees giving not only holiday homes but holiday estates :lol:

The reason why the property market was developed in Dubai was to attract some of the GCC funds after 9/11. Initially, the Meadows was only open to GCC nationals but there was no enough interest and so it was made open to everyone.

#23,062 ·
What's all this fuss? Nothing has changed compared to a couple of days ago. Someone who has no idea of what he's saying releases a statement to the press (why?), says nothing new, says it in an ambiguous way, the reporter understands it wrongly and writes it in with yet another different meaning.
Nothing has changed, the rule has always been there, has never been implemented and probably never will be. It never affected people with visa on arrival benefits and never will. It will not kill the visa run through Oman for those with visa on arrival benefits.

Dubai is the land of rules that must be there "just because" and sometimes must be reminded to the population and that are never (or rarely) really enforced.

I agree with you, much like the Strata Law we are all waiting on, and ask some one something one day, and then ask them the next day, a different story.

I am going to let my mate go to Bangkok, and say nothing, and see if he gets bounced when he comes back, I doubt it very much.

A

#23,063 ·
I agree with you, much like the Strata Law we are all waiting on, and ask some one something one day, and then ask them the next day, a different story.

I am going to let my mate go to Bangkok, and say nothing, and see if he gets bounced when he comes back, I doubt it very much.

A
I hope your going to tell him what your going to put in his suit case rite. :lol:

#23,064 ·
I know we are unhappy with the visa changes in Dubai but let's not pretend that it's so much easier in other countires. Australia has very strict rules for issuing visas, even tourist visas. You can buy property in Australia as a non-resident (they just keep a register of foreign ownership) but ownership of the property won't assist you in getting a visa. I would think the US is the same. In Denmark, you can't even buy a property if you are not a resident - (that's probably a more honest approach so people know where they stand from the outset).Very few countries nowadays are willing to open their doors to foreign nationals.
Why oh why Philippa are you always defending Dubai by saying some other place is so much worse?
Really, can you come up with any argument regarding Dubai being good standalone?

#23,070 ·
i must say one thing and this is proof
wile you guys are waisting time wondering about dubai and maybe many dont even own property in dubai and have nothing to do with their life they come here and waist their time and everyone elsess time the fact are this

i read the news in america every day and there is nothing happening and there is no good news

i read the news about dubai and uae and something new happening every day
uae is growing and is growing fast and many things are happening

so as i said before real estate is a long term business buy now and rent if for the next 10 years minimum and after 10 years you will triple your capital long term long term
dont waist time worring about today and tommorow worry about the big picture

#23,071 ·
Why oh why Philippa are you always defending Dubai by saying some other place is so much worse?
Really, can you come up with any argument regarding Dubai being good standalone?

Keep posting Philippa..................I find your posts enlightening, and that is the point of a Forum, many people on here are from many different countries, and it is interesting to know how other parts of the World compare with Dubai.

Alan :cheers:

#23,072 ·
Dubai is not a utopian society. EVERYTHING we say has to be put in perspective by comparing it with other countries. In absolute terms nothing would make sense .

If its difficult to understand , lets say: Dubai has debt of 80 billion USD ... Fullstop

Is that good or bad or normal or what ???

You can only tell once you compare the debt with that in developed countries , developing countries and further comparing how likes of greece , iceland or ireland used there debt and how Dubai used it.

So bottom line, its always meaningful to compare :cheers:

#23,073 ·
I know we are unhappy with the visa changes in Dubai but let's not pretend that it's so much easier in other countires. Australia has very strict rules for issuing visas, even tourist visas. You can buy property in Australia as a non-resident (they just keep a register of foreign ownership) but ownership of the property won't assist you in getting a visa. I would think the US is the same. In Denmark, you can't even buy a property if you are not a resident - (that's probably a more honest approach so people know where they stand from the outset).Very few countries nowadays are willing to open their doors to foreign nationals.
Have you forgotten how property was marketed at the very beginning?? I remember the news reports very clearly with both developers and govt. officials saying long term visas (even 99 year visas were being touted) would be given for property buyers. This is a case of mis-selling.

Nobody would have a problem if they were honest about the visa rules to begin with. People (especially those investors who are from India, Pakistan, Iran etc) are going to be extremely upset when they keep changing rules at their whims and fancies.

#23,074 ·
Dubai is not a utopian society. EVERYTHING we say has to be put in perspective by comparing it with other countries. In absolute terms nothing would make sense .

If its difficult to understand , lets say: Dubai has debt of 80 billion USD ... Fullstop

Is that good or bad or normal or what ???

You can only tell once you compare the debt with that in developed countries , developing countries and further comparing how likes of greece , iceland or ireland used there debt and how Dubai used it.

So bottom line, its always meaningful to compare :cheers:
There are many standalone (no comparisons required) positives about Dubai.
Perpetual sun for one.
No tax for another.
Great camping spots.
Great lifestyle (caveat - if you have the money)

I didn't need to compare with any other country to come up with those. Am sure there are many countries that offer sun all year round, great camping spots etc., but so what?

Yes it is meaningful to compare but not always, and definitely not by always saying, "Look Dubai maybe bad, but that's ok coz XYZ is so much worse"

#23,075 ·
Japan Airlines files for bankruptcy

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan Airlines Corp said on Tuesday it had filed for bankruptcy with 2.3 trillion yen ($25.4 billion) in debt as of the end of September, as it seeks to revive itself under a state-backed restructuring plan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60H4NA20100119

HT said that March 2010 will be interesting for Dubai , we will see soon.:nuts:

Some Dubai World creditors may offload loans: report

DUBAI (Reuters) - Some creditors to Dubai World DBWLD.UL, which is currently restructuring $22 billion of debt, are seeking to offload loans to reduce their exposure to the conglomerate, the Financial Times reported.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60H0NW20100118

Abu Dhabi's Dubai aid shrinks to $5 billion

DUBAI (Reuters) - Abu Dhabi's $10 billion December bailout to Dubai included $5 billion already committed by two banks controlled by the emirate, signaling Abu Dhabi's cautious approach to helping its debt-laden neighbor.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE60H23K20100118

#23,077 ·
^^ Its shouting of racism actually :shocked: but its not shocking considering the usual white western superiority complex many of you have :banana:

If we had westerns running all the organizations then we wont have 10% of what Dubai is having now. You cannot have the cake and eat it too you know :lol:

#23,078 ·
Dubai: Still a hot property investment market

Published: January 19th, 2010

Dubai’s property market, remained under intense pressure in the wake of global financial crisis and Dubai Debt Crisis, is still fertile for investors across the global despite all odds. The market has potential to rebound and it has been offering huge opportunities to the investors.

Nicholas Marr, Chief Executive of Homesgofast, said that the market has been undergoing period of restructuring and capable to attract investors due to availability of range of amenities offering quality life. Places such as Dubai Marina, Jumeirah Beach, springs and Arabian Ranches have a potential to attract investors given to excellent infrastructure and living and work conditions.

http://news.qatarguidebook.com/dubai-still-a-hot-property-investment-market.html

#23,079 ·
If you had westerners running the show Dubai wouldnt be in the mess its in.

Why do you think there is a law to say you have to employ a certain amount of locals,because given the choice most employers wouldnt employ any.
Again sorry if that sounds racist but I dont know how else to put it.
I thought westerns were running USA and UK and they are in a deeper shit hole. Are you drunk? :cheers: :laugh: