search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Switzerland

Switzerland Schweiz Suisse Svizzera

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #21
quimporte

Likes (Received): 489

CEVA train stations concept
Greater Geneva (GE)

Architects: Perraudin architectes

Last edited by quimporte; November 19th, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
quimporte no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:43 PM   #22
quimporte

Facultť de bio-ingťnieurie
EPFL, Ecublens (VD)

Ranking: 2nd prize

Henning Larsen Architects
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:18 AM   #23
quimporte

Rue de Lyon 106-112
Geneva (GE)

Tange Associates and Favre & Guth architectes
Old January 31st, 2016, 07:20 PM   #24
quimporte

Aminona Luxury Resort and Village (ALRV)
Aminona (VS)

Patrice Reynaud architectes

Last edited by quimporte; January 31st, 2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old February 6th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #25
BenjaminBern

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimporte View Post
I think youíre partly right concerning the selection boards. I read several times through the Swiss forum that we donít have good architects. But thatís wrong. On the contrary, Switzerland has a lot a very good architects. It is therefore legitimate to ask why so many projects in our country have such a poor design.

In my opinion, these are some of the reasons:

1. According to the architects, building rules are more and more restrictive. It would therefore be interesting to know in what way these rules prevent creativity.

2. Public investors or purchasers are typically very conformist and prefer proven formulas over risk.

3. Still too often, the Swiss donít have a great understanding for creative work. Thereís little respect for architectural design. Architectural design depicts the city, as opposed to the countryside. As we all know, the Swiss donít like (real) cities.

However, it is not possible to generalise on the situation. For example, in Geneva you may find very good design for social, cooperative, health-care and student housing, where you would rather expect something cheap.

For example, in Lausanne, the award winner for a housing block had to entirely redesign it probably in order to make it more profitable. Although the original project was a very interesting design object, the final version was no more than a pious platitude. So, why to award an architect and then destroy his work?

Based on my observations, it must be concluded that the most interesting architectural interventions may come from private bodies and institutions, which donít pursue a return on investment in relation to the construction itself, though again it is not possible to generalise.

For example, in Geneva, JTI is currently completing a new wonderful headquarters building designed by the star architects SOM. During these last years, the FIPOI financed very nice buildings for various international organisations (WMO, ICRC, WTO, WIPO). Other quality constructions are expected. Some private investors requested French architect Dominique Perrault for the largest private project in Switzerland: an entire neighbourhood in Vernier (líEtang) with a quite unconventional design. The famous Danish architecture office 3XN designed the new Olympic Headquarters: a very nice peace of art. In a larger scale, SBB also seems to priviledge high standards in the whole country.

Housing projects leaded by public institutions certainly suffer from economic reasons, at the opposite of cultural buildings that enjoy the cantonís largesse. However, donít we say that restrictions boost creativity? Yes, provided that jury members are able to perceive it, which clearly isnít always the case. In Switzerland more than elsewhere?
i agree
i love the old towns of switzerland but most of the newer stuff sucks.
for example the new post buildings in Bern, welle7 are just very boring and ugly.
it would have been a great opportunity to build something interesting right next to the main station, and expand the city in the west direction.

i just hope my generation will build more creative and nice buildings, also higher
BenjaminBern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #26
quimporte

MAH Museum of Art and History
Geneva (GE)

Ateliers Jean Nouvel