search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2017, 05:42 AM   #13161
mic

Likes (Received): 464

I still think MEL is in need of SFO, ICN and JNB.

These are the missing links to our network.
mic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:13 AM   #13162
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post

Given the relative lack of desire to grow the direct Australia-South Africa market, I just do not see JNB as a viable option.

With QF flying SYD-JNB and SA on PER-JNB, it seems well covered. With SA struggling it is even harder to see any new routes on the horizon, as QF is unlikely to start MEL-JNB. Their SYD flights have been stagnant for years really, with no appetite to grow on the route.

As for the other 2 routes, fully agree that Korea and further US markets would be great additions. They would both open up new opportunities, either by developing business, tourism or connectivity.

In the next few years I can see the potential for the following:
- San Francisco: UA
- Seoul: KE
- Mumbai: 9W
- Dallas-Fort Worth: QF (subject to JV approval)
- Los Angeles: AA (subject to JV approval)
- Manila: 5J
- Addis Ababa: ET (hardly a compelling case but has been mentioned by the airline)
- Shanghai: VA or QF
- Osaka: JQ (if Japan growth continues, this may be a stronger case to start)

cesarod16 liked this post
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #13163
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post

My list MEL should be aiming for:

Short term:

-SFO
-JNB
-ICN
-DFW

Medium term:

-BOM
-IAH
-IST
-TLV
-EZE

Long term (aircraft permitting):

-LHR (non stop)
-CDG
-JFK
-GRU/GIG

Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #13164
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 538

yeah but if Korea, and I don't take into account the nonsense of what's going on over there at the moment, grows then hopefully OZ (Asiana) will finally spread their wings to BNE and MEL.

I don't see why people get hung up about speculation, obviously it takes a lot of expense and growth, and break event to profit, to get airlines into a city, but it is clearly obvious that our wishlists for our cities are not beyond impossible.

However, as usual nag nag nag, SFO, I really see that market as important, maybe it's true the numbers from outside of Sydney don't stack up, but I just think it is important.

Also, my sister is down in Melbourne right now and she said to me that she is very impressed by Tullamarine. She found navigation through the Virgin part of the complex to be easy unlike Sydney. Hopefully her return trip to Brisbane next week will be good. We went there in 1983 for the first time, and over the years I have seen it develop. Having said that MA you and some others have made some good points about the urgency of its improvement.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #13165
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_n_ View Post
yeah but if Korea, and I don't take into account the nonsense of what's going on over there at the moment, grows then hopefully OZ (Asiana) will finally spread their wings to BNE and MEL.

I don't see why people get hung up about speculation, obviously it takes a lot of expense and growth, and break event to profit, to get airlines into a city, but it is clearly obvious that our wishlists for our cities are not beyond impossible.

However, as usual nag nag nag, SFO, I really see that market as important, maybe it's true the numbers from outside of Sydney don't stack up, but I just think it is important.

Also, my sister is down in Melbourne right now and she said to me that she is very impressed by Tullamarine. She found navigation through the Virgin part of the complex to be easy unlike Sydney. Hopefully her return trip to Brisbane next week will be good. We went there in 1983 for the first time, and over the years I have seen it develop. Having said that MA you and some others have made some good points about the urgency of its improvement.
I don't think the Koreans are worrying about Korea, so don't see why we should. Korea has only even got a mention of late due to the old pedo with tiny hands, orange skin and mouth like an **** opening, called Drumpf.

michael_n_ liked this post
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #13166
Eco-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantas743 View Post
My list MEL should be aiming for:

Short term:

-SFO
-JNB
-ICN
-DFW

Medium term:

-BOM
-IAH
-IST
-TLV
-EZE

Long term (aircraft permitting):

-LHR (non stop)
-CDG
-JFK
-GRU/GIG
I don't get the obsession with Tel Aviv. Not that many Jews in Australia.
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #13167
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
I don't get the obsession with Tel Aviv. Not that many Jews in Australia.
There's rapidly growing business demand and it's also a major low cost hub for flights to Europe and Eastern Europe.

Andrews is going there next month on a trade mission and is expected to sign new business deals.

I'm reliably told QF are actively examining it.
Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #13168
BRICAM

Likes (Received): 10

Qantas will not fly to Tel Aviv.
They won't go anywhere near the place!

BRICAM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:17 AM   #13169
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
I don't think the Koreans are worrying about Korea, so don't see why we should. Korea has only even got a mention of late due to the old pedo with tiny hands, orange skin and mouth like an **** opening, called Drumpf.
Well-put.

I still think but if growth continues all three East Coast cities can support both carriers, but have to get KE back to MEL first.
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #13170
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Likes (Received): 1121

Essendon Airport will now be known as Essendon Fields Airport, the terminal will get a $3m upgrade in order to facilitate the growing regional operations at the airport, with four airlines: Sharp Airlines, Free Spirit, Fly Corporate and JETGO currently having operations there.

Quote:
Essendon Airport to get new name and $3m terminal upgrade
IAN ROYALL | November 15, 2017

ESSENDON AIRPORT is to be renamed and its main terminal will get a $3 million upgrade as part of a major revamp of the site.

The private airport, owned by the Fox and Beck families, will be now known as Essendon Fields Airport.

The terminal, built in 1959, will receive a major facelift, to be completed next year, including new check-in and passenger screening as well as a new cafe.

The terminal will have the capacity to handle up to 200,000 passengers a year.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...4ae32e2e3dd045

KIWIKAAS liked this post
soorox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #13171
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorox View Post
Essendon Airport will now be known as Essendon Fields Airport, the terminal will get a $3m upgrade in order to facilitate the growing regional operations at the airport, with four airlines: Sharp Airlines, Free Spirit, Fly Corporate and JETGO currently having operations there.
Hardly worth the effort of rebranding, but good to see that the terminal improvements are continuing to be made.

Not long ago I went to have a look and it still seemed a time warp back many decades.

It certainly has come a long way in terms of airline service recently. Wonder if JETGO will look at any additional destinations? It has tried several routes now and so far a couple have failed to continue (Port Macquarie started but Hervey Bay service was first delayed and then cancelled).

Relatively early days on Illawarra so will see how those play out. Any other options that could work for them out of Melbourne?

Eco-rat liked this post

Last edited by Melb_aviator; November 16th, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #13172
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Virgin Atlantic Cargo (handles international cargo on behalf of VA) says that MEL-HKG cargo demand is exceeding expectations:

It's great to hear that both cargo and pax ops are happy with the route's performance so far, and with a daily schedule now, hopefully the route grows stronger for VA and builds a strong business case for a second Asian route out of MEL.

Quote:
Daily Melbourne-Hong Kong air cargo services launched
Charles Pauka | November 16, 2017

The launch of Virgin Australia’s daily Melbourne-Hong Kong services on 12 November was designed to meet growing demand for cargo capacity on the route, according to Virgin Atlantic Cargo, which provides long-haul international cargo sales and management for Virgin Australia.

Volumes have been increasing steadily in both directions since Virgin Australia commenced five Airbus A330-200 flights a week in July. The extra capacity provided by the new daily service will support the peak perishables season ex Australia as well as thriving e-commerce and courier business from Hong Kong.

Virgin Atlantic Cargo has generated over 1,200 tonnes of freight and courier traffic since the route began. Regular shipments have included garments, shoes, electronics goods, vitamins, milk powder and meat. The appointment in August of Jarrod Paterson as account manager in Melbourne has also helped the airline develop other lines of business, such as shipments of fresh lobster, Abalone and chilled salmon from Tasmania to Hong Kong.

Continued inward business investment in Melbourne is also expected to help sustain long-term cargo demand. Amazon is one of the latest global brands to announce fresh investment in the state of Victoria with its plans for a 24,000 square metre e-commerce distribution centre in Melbourne.

Pip Palmer, Virgin Atlantic’s Regional Sales Manager, Australia and New Zealand, said: “Cargo volumes to and from Melbourne have exceeded our expectations so far. There are a series of positive business indicators that show not only a consistent level of demand from our current customers but also opportunities for new traffic like we have started to generate from Tasmania.”

Read More: https://www.tandlnews.com.au/2017/11...ices-launched/
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #13173
Decatur

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICAM View Post
Qantas will not fly to Tel Aviv.
They won't go anywhere near the place!
Aren't you in for a surprise then........it will be either QF or El Al. Major issue is security arrangements, not commercial viability or anything else.

It may be MEL or it may be SYD, but it will happen.

Qantas743 liked this post
Decatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #13174
Eco-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Hardly worth the effort of rebranding, but good to see that the terminal improvements are continuing to be made.

Not long ago I went to have a look and it still seemed a time warp back many decades.

It certainly has come a long way in terms of airline service recently. Wonder if JETGO will look at any additional destinations? It has tried several routes now and so far a couple have failed to continue (Port Macquarie started but Hervey Bay service was first delayed and then cancelled).

Relatively early days on Illawarra so will see how those play out. Any other options that could work for them out of Melbourne?
If they are going to keep the damned thing might as well make it work. Give Melbourne its real, proper second airport, maybe stop referring to Avalon as the second airport, but Geelong's first one.

People will definitely use it if it gets critical mass - some predictability about having airlines and ancillary services available.

Old November 16th, 2017, 05:01 AM   #13175
Eco-rat

My aviation dreaming

MEL - built up down to the current freight facilities and freight moved to new apron on the other side of 16/34 with own freight road network

AVV - Geelong and Surf Coast councils to get off their backsides and actually promote Geelong in places that would fill planes

MEB - small regional network including the intrastate aviation that doesn't exist in Victoria, plus F50/B717 sized operations to Sydney, OOL, ADL, Tas according to demand

MBW - in similar vane, get the south east councils like Franga, Dandenong etc off their backsides, start thinking about promoting small operators who can fly direct into Tas or OOL or PQQ etc according to demand. I would move some flying schools and general recreational put-puts to ...

Tyabb which should be plenty for the flying schools that already operate in the South East, and could be readily built up with room for a east-west runway perpendicular to the current one and plenty of room on that block.

I'm not convinced that there is a shortage of put-put land, unlike Sydney, you can fly your plane at Lilydale, Melton, Barwon Heads, other places.
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #13176
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

New Melbourne Airport website is now live! Homepage is alot more modern now!

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au

potato380, log0008, jarden, cesarod16 liked this post
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #13177
potato380

Likes (Received): 80

It's got the current Qantas logo and not one from 3 generations ago... I'm shocked

moz999 liked this post
potato380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #13178
Tyson

Likes (Received): 456

What's UA1306 ??
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #13179
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
What's UA1306 ??
There's a few bugs still, its also showing JL691A.

I'm glad they updated the logo's atleast, though I think they need to change UA's one and D7's one is not the correct one.

Looks like we have lost the 4 week function, and I have yet to find where the PDF for the 4 weeks schedule has been moved to, anyone know?
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #13180
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

New Dufry Duty Free store at Melbourne Airport:

More: https://www.trbusiness.com/regional-...e-store/131800

Tags
mandurahboyz