daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #481
adityahbk

Likes (Received): 124

I have seen a lot of good slum rehabilitation, by SRA and private builders. I know there are some private ones that make the slum building as good as the selling one. SRA often does a good and bad job depending on contractor
adityahbk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 15th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #482
p2p4

Likes (Received): 1406

HI Anix

If what you are saying (I have no doubts), then that is VERY ENCOURAGING ! And yes, I second your line of thought that SR projects need some degree of uniformity in terms of amenities, size per unit, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIX_K View Post
@Mama

I had a totally different experience when I had a chance once to stay overnight at a SR project in Wadala. To my surprise it was way better than what I had expected. The quality of construction seemed decent. The neighbours and the overall cultural atmosphere seemed good. I had the feeling as if it is a modern day chawl with around 8-10 flats per floor. Though there were some problems like water supply for only a couple of hours a day and buildings placed close to each other, I felt quite optimistic that if this is the kind of SR projects that are happening in the city, we are on the right path.

There may be other projects where the conditions are extremely poor. In my opinion, there should be a standard design fixed for all SR projects in the city, at least a basic design with respect to the size of the flats, separation between the buildings, bare minimum facilities to be provided, open space and so on.

Mumbai Airport CSIA - updates http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=347144
p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #483
adityahbk

Likes (Received): 124

Whatever you said is already fixed by the high court years ago

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #484
hshah

Likes (Received): 79

mama, i agree with you. i think you re probably referring to the nehru nagar and kanjurmarg SRA complexes. also, i think it is the state's responsibility that when they allowed people to lead a life in a place for decades be it a slum colony, then the rehabilitation has to be done in a humane and dignified manner. else, you dont let them settle in the first place.

@aditya - i think the high court only laid down the rules around the minimum area per unit, nothing related to the overall living conditions.
hshah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #485
Neeraj_Dixit

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
Ever seen or BEEN inside a SR tenement? Buildings are so close to each other, no sunlight, no 'space', people live in almost virtual darkness, dirt, garbage, junk and whatever you can imagine falls down vertically on the lowest floors.

I have been to one of these due to my interest in the SR project (wanted to compare the SR projects in HK to those of Mumbai's). I say even dark dungeons are better compared to this V.G (as I term it).

On the other hand, I just read in SSCI another day that there is one developer who has involved current slummers and taken them in confidence in how to live, behave, keep hygiene levels on par, provide basic recreational facilities (small parks etc) . I don't recall the name but it was a NOTABLE and encouraging news.

I can't imagine ANY of the SSCI members in Mumbai to actually step into the SR localities and post pictures . First, entry into these areas is a big mental preparation ! Drug abuse is high, crime is ever increasing in these areas, psycho-social behaviour is on a change for the worse. Many confide that it is better to have lived in a jhopdi than this dark, dank, wall cracking weak constructioned joke of a SR project.

I would gladly call it SOCIAL REPRESSION PROJECT than a SLUM REHABILITATION project. UNLESS - there are norms introduced throughout the board that each of these projects must have proper spacing in between buildings, at least reasonable amount of daylight entering majority households, a small recreation park that is functional instead of just giving an open dusty, dirt and garbage filled playground !

I know I am a lone ranger out here and can't blame if most SSCIans on this thread are typing from their plush swivel chairs . If you can afford, go into areas like Mankhurd.

Read this piece of info if you so like
http://www.pkdas.com/published/Lette...nia-Gandhi.pdf

Of that's not enough, read this too
http://blogs.rediff.com/thebravepede...le-violations/
I wasn't challenging you on it being a vertical gutter.
I was just asking which one you were referring to.
Also what is with all the hostility.
Aaramat , saheb.

Last edited by Neeraj_Dixit; May 15th, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Neeraj_Dixit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #486
Docusa14

Likes (Received): 16

As I mentioned there are few good SRAs in making

Alta monte ..Omkar malad
And Omkar 1973

Besides the one next to my bldg in Kandivali west by DB is also well thought !!
Docusa14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 11:24 AM   #487
akbarsyed

Likes (Received): 669

dharavi-project-state-likely-to-hand-over-four-sectors-to-private-developers

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...te-developers/

After handing over redevelopment of Sector 5 of the two sq km Dharavi slum to the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) in the run-up to the Assembly elections later this year, the state government is expected to hand over the four other sectors to private developers.
“The new proposal for Dharavi Redevelopment Project (DRP) is now ready. I have signed it but a final decision lies with the chief minister. We intend to decide on inviting bids from private builders for the four other sectors in a month’s time,” said Sachin Ahir, Minister of State for Housing.
He added that the DRP cell of the Slum Rehabilitation Authority has been given a greater and a more independent role in planning the project, including in matters relating to land acquisition.
The DRP expects the committee of secretaries and, subsequently, CM Prithviraj Chavan to take a call on whether the developers, who will be awarded the project, should be charged a premium amount or housing stock or a mix of both. The tender documents prepared by Ernst & Young, the bid management consultant for the project, will be tweaked once the decision is taken on the issue.
According to DRP cell’s estimates, the cost that will be incurred by the builders for rehabilitation for the four sectors is approximately Rs 16,000 crore. The estimated cost, as per previous plans for all five sectors, was Rs 15,000 crore.
Houses for 9,600 residents of Sector 5 are being constructed by MHADA, which is also generating a huge public housing stock in the process, owing to the incentive floor space index available for redevelopment.
A total of the 50,000-odd families live in the remaining four sectors, which have been divided into 13 sub-sectors. Sectors 1, 2 and 4 have been split into three parts each while Sector 3 has been carved out into four sub-sectors.
“In meetings held so far, the CM has expressed his reservations with regards to handing over a huge chunk of the redevelopment pie to any particular developer. This is why tenders might be called for the smaller sub-sectors. Also, the CM is keen on taking housing stock as against charging a premium, which is the preferred option by developers,” said a state government official.
akbarsyed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM   #488
christophertaylor

Likes (Received): 0

New Proposal for Dharavi Redevelopment Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarsyed View Post
Thanks for sharing information about new proposal for Dharavi Redevelopment Project
christophertaylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #489
akbarsyed

Likes (Received): 669

dharavi-revamp-plan-modified-for-smoother-land-acquisition

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...d-acquisition/

Anticipating resistance in acquiring land for the developers’ sale component in the decade-old Dharavi revamp project, the authority in-charge has tweaked the draft development plan for the slum sprawl, deleting separate markings for sale and rehab housing.
The final version of the Dharavi development plan, which has now been sent to the state government for approval, shows the entire area required for housing in the ambitious project as one ‘Dharavi redevelopment project area.’
Earlier, the authority had, for the purpose of more clear planning, designated specific areas where houses for the sale component are to be constructed and where those for the rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers are to be built.
Incidentally, the location of the sale houses, marked on the prime areas of Dharavi, was a significant reason for opposition to the draft development plan by a section of residents. “The general opinion was that it would be difficult to acquire private land to build sale component of developers who will execute the Dharavi redevelopment works. The project can run into further delays. So, it was decided to remove the distinction. The Slum Rehabilitation Authority has recently approved the draft development plan and sent it to the urban development department for its nod,” said an official working on the project, who did not wish to be named.
The official added that the location of houses that will form a part of the sale component and the area to rehabilitate existing residents can be taken at a later stage. About a fifth of the total land that is to be developed for the project is privately owned and needs to be acquired. Dharavi comprises five sectors spread across 240 hectares, of which 152 hectares will be developed under the project. Of the 152 hectares, the official said the Dharavi Redevelopment Authority would have to acquire approximately 27-30 hectares of private land. About 3-4 hectares of this is under the ownership of the Tata Power Company.
The Dharavi redevelopment project has been in the works for more than a decade, but has been a non-starter due to issues such as flip-flops in policies, design changes, differences with the original consultant and opposition by some residents.
The project authority had prepared a draft development plan for Dharavi with the help of a consultant last year and had invited suggestions and objections to it from residents. The plan drew 765 responses from across 59,000 tenements of Dharavi, recording 2,015 demands. Of the total demands, 304 were requests for self-development and another 272 for exclusion from the project.
akbarsyed no está en línea   Reply With Quote