daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > The Bothy

The Bothy Scottish Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 260 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #11001
milton

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirinalian View Post
I think Kezia's by far the best candidate for the job.

Of the other realms-of-possibility contenders Neil Findlay is extraordinarily left wing, Ken Macintosh isn't a great performer by any manner of means, Hugh Henry is boring and Jenny Marra and Drew Smith haven't really grown into their roles yet.

If anything, I'd worry about the timing. She will have the same problem Jim Murphy had - it's impossible to turn things around in time for the next election. She'll probably oversee the loss of some MSPs (although it won't be anywhere near as bad given the list system) and she's likely to spectacularly lose in her own constituency of Edinburgh East and be re-elected on the list. Hardly fantastic.

If I was them, I'd put in Jackie Baillie as a caretaker leader.

As for hating the SNP, I've never seen an opposition party get into government by being nice about their opponents. I don't see anyone saying 'if only Ed Miliband had been nicer about the Tories, he'd be Prime Minister now'.

Yes, by all means I think Dugdale should steal the centre-ground from them, but that's not the same as being nice about their achievements. If anything, what she should be selling is a message that their voters voted for a certain narrative about x, y and z, but were betrayed - and that Labour is the real party of achieving all these things.
I don't expect them to be nice about the SNP, but all indications are that the electorate is sick of Labour's relentlessly negative campaigning. The reason that they were negative is that, rather than promoting their own policies, all too often everything was put through the prism of SNP=bad.
Given that Labour already knew they'd lost voters to the SNP, this was a spectacularly stupid way to behave as it follows that there's a good chance such voters didn't perceive there being a massive difference in policy between the parties, rather that the SNP were in a better position to deliver.

Kezia is for me one of the Labour MSPs most associated with the above behaviour. They need a new broom and a real look at themselves from a grass-roots level. The fact that this internal bullying is still going on shows that in certain circles people have learned nothing. There is a misplaced sense of entitlement in some of their representatives that should have been killed off by recent results, but frankly I don't think it has. I expect at least a few of those that just lost their seats to be fast-tracked into list places for the SP, which if it happens will confirm this accusation of "complacency, conservatism, cronyism and careerism” that has been leveled at them.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Today, 03:28 PM   #11002
milton

I've just pinched this from the comments section of that Hootsmon story:

Quote:
"The Labour Party's been the vehicle for social change and it will be again, but we do need to change"
Kezia, yesterday, on BBC.

If that sounds familiar to any of you, here's why:

Wendy Alexander - 15/09/07
https://archive.is/iJPX4

"To get there we must win back the trust of the Scottish people. And to win that trust we must listen to them and show that we have listened to them by reforming our party."

----

Johann Lamont - 02/12/11
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/pol...dundee-1.33885

'We need to change ourselves in order to change the country''

----

Douglas Alexander - 02/03/12
http://www.ukpol.co.uk/2015/03/19/do...ty-conference/

"We need to change and change radically"

----

Ed Miliband - 30/10/14
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...leader-4539390

"And we meet here above all determined to fight to show the Scottish people that Labour can be the change they want to see"

----

Jim Murphy - 01/11/14
http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/...ing-to-voters/

"Scotland is my country. The country I want to lead. But if Labour wants to win we must first change ourselves.

----

Kezia Dugdale - 03/11/14
http://www.labourhame.com/dugdale-sc...ust/#more-4262

"I hear what the Scottish people say. I know they want change"

=======

Scottish Labour: Never changing, always blaming
Now I'm going to be a bit more balanced than that person and say that I don't think they're "always blaming", but the point about claiming that they'll change is well made. Can any of you tell me what real changes to either their policies or their way of approaching elections etc. Scottish Labour have made in the 8 years since that first quote from Wendy Alexander? Because it all seems very much the same old story to me.
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #11003
Quirinalian

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton View Post
I don't expect them to be nice about the SNP, but all indications are that the electorate is sick of Labour's relentlessly negative campaigning. The reason that they were negative is that, rather than promoting their own policies, all too often everything was put through the prism of SNP=bad.
Negative campaigning tends to work. If it did, opponents wouldn't dislike it anywhere near as much.

Indeed, Labour and the SNP's successes have largely been won by being negative about the other side, and of course the Conservatives.

There are plenty of reasons for Labour's demise: a terrible UK leader, a string of terrible Scottish leaders (of which Jim Murphy was actually the best by a long shot), making complicated policy arguments when they should be talking about principles and so on.

As much as I don't think Labour's defeat in Scotland was as much attributable to the Scottish campaign as some might think, it had a great many weaknesses. It wasn't consistent, too closely followed what the newspapers were saying day-to-day and it seemed like it was put together by a bunch of policy wonks without adequate consideration of messaging.

Quote:
I expect at least a few of those that just lost their seats to be fast-tracked into list places for the SP, which if it happens will confirm this accusation of "complacency, conservatism, cronyism and careerism” that has been leveled at them.
In fairness, some of their former MPs like Douglas Alexander were outstanding politicians and it'd be fairly foolish not to find somewhere for them.
Quirinalian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:40 PM   #11004
anonymous_redrum

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbud View Post
Clown of a man who deserves what he gets.
Excuse me? You were always sticking up for him in the Better Together days.

.....you aren't turning, are you?!
anonymous_redrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #11005
milton

Quote:
Negative campaigning tends to work. If it did, opponents wouldn't dislike it anywhere near as much.

Indeed, Labour and the SNP's successes have largely been won by being negative about the other side, and of course the Conservatives.

There are plenty of reasons for Labour's demise: a terrible UK leader, a string of terrible Scottish leaders (of which Jim Murphy was actually the best by a long shot), making complicated policy arguments when they should be talking about principles and so on.

As much as I don't think Labour's defeat in Scotland was as much attributable to the Scottish campaign as some might think, it had a great many weaknesses. It wasn't consistent, too closely followed what the newspapers were saying day-to-day and it seemed like it was put together by a bunch of policy wonks without adequate consideration of messaging.
It won't surprise you that I'd be a little harsher, especially given the incredibly easy ride Labour have traditionally been given by much of the Scottish press.

Quote:
In fairness, some of their former MPs like Douglas Alexander were outstanding politicians and it'd be fairly foolish not to find somewhere for them.
I sometimes like him, sometimes hate him. I'd never deny he's very capable, but I don't trust him either.

As long as Curran's gone for good I can take some solace!
Old Today, 04:46 PM   #11006
anonymous_redrum

Quote:

I think you meant outstanding 'careerist' politician. He's on the YouTube channel 'worst/most embarrassing MP's ever' along with luminaries like Neil Kinnock, Gordon Brown, Prescott and Farage etc.

Labour cannot stand on principles anymore because they don't have any. Tory lite sorry i meant New Labour are now supporting the Tory bill for a EU referendum in 2017.

I would agree with you that 'fear' is a powerful tool, the thing is though 'hope' is far more powerful.
Old Today, 04:46 PM   #11007
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_redrum View Post

I think he's just being objective and fair, as is usually the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd

bestbud liked this post
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:10 PM   #11008
bestbud

Likes (Received): 1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_redrum View Post

Like most people, I just have an ability to comment with a degree of objectivity on occasion.

Try it one day, you might like it.

Last edited by bestbud; Today at 05:16 PM.
bestbud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:32 PM   #11009
anonymous_redrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbud View Post
Like most people, I just have an ability to comment with a degree of objectivity on occasion.

Try it one day, you might like it.
That is fine but i'm pretty sure you weren't saying he's a clown the last couple years.

We all knew the man is a clown.

Tags
obsessednationalists

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: