SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Countries and overseas territories with the same road lay-out and road signs

27K views 98 replies 33 participants last post by  Road_UK 
#1 ·
I have a particular interest in road lay-out and road signs between different countries and territories. For my own experience I have only driven in one complete different area of Britain: Gibraltar. It´s an experience. Even though they drive on the right, and all speed limits are in kilometres, road signs and lay-out are exactly the same as in Britain. I also would like to see more pictures and comparisons of the Falklands and Hong Kong for example. Also I believe a lot of north-African countries use the French system, as well as French Guyana, while Dutch (ex) overseas territories use a mixture of their own based on Dutch influence.
I have noticed that the Greek motorway system virtually has a German road lay-out with German style signs in a different colour.
And Finland seems to copy the Swedish style.

I want to know more!

#79 ·
I have still seen some of them. Usually in old country lanes with very little (or nothing) maintenance.

But the "Guantanamera movie signal" wasn't a "STOP signal", it was a circular "PARE signal".

At Cuba any influence of English speaking countries is the US... and they are not very friends...

#88 · (Edited)
Albania only has become independent in 1912; before that, it has been a part of the Osman Empire since around 1500. The new state was very unstable and during the Great War, it was object of occupations of neighbouring countries.

After the war, the instable situation continued, and the fascist Italians gained influence in Albania. This lead to the annexion of Albania by the Kingdom of Italy. After WWII, Albania was a part of the Eastern Block (COMECON and Warsaw Treaty), but in 1961, it turned away from the Soviet Union and seeked support from the People's Republic of China.

Thus Albania was isolated, and like in many Eastern nations, only radio & TV built a bridge to the outside world, while the own media would only spread propaganda of the own regime. In the case of Albania, the Italian TV was widely watched throughout the country, so that since the 1980ies, Albania was still influenced by Italian language and culture.

So there are some historical and cultural ties between Italy and Albania, which is obviuosly reflected in the Albanian roadsign design.

#98 ·
^^ It's DIN Mittelschrift, so indeed the font that the Germans use as the principal font for their signs. The Czech Republic also has selected this font, albeit that they have a tendency towards printing in allcaps while the Germans use normal capitalisation as a principle.

But when it comes to speed limit signs, the Germans use DIN Engschrift. So on this point the Czech / Japanese speed limit sign looks German, but has a clear difference with what you see in Germany.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.