daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #21
ajaksalad

Likes (Received): 41

I still feel this project is dense enough for where it is. Look at the lots near this buildings; a few midrises, an office building and surface lots. What most people would call "downtown" is a good 3 blocks away. These are walk-up units with great streetscaping and no surface parking. There is still plenty of space for retail, commercial etc. on the rest of the block and many other unbuilt lots just like it around.

I'm not saying this is the best thing we could have had on this lot, but it certainly looks nice and has some basic urban qualities. Before you can get density, you need to get people.

Brian72 liked this post
ajaksalad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #22
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 150

I think they are missing out big time by not even using the rooftops for terraces or anything. The views would probably be pretty incredible.

Also they look terrible, absolutely no style to them... just generic and plain.

TampaMike liked this post
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #23
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 968

I'm trying to see both sides here. And it's not really the height I have an issue with, it's the single use. 14 units will make no dent in the vibrancy or density the area. I remember some posters on here talking about how Madison Heights didn't need the retail and that the units itself will make the area more vibrant. Madison Height is just 2 blocks down from this proposal and I see no different in the vibrancy and street traffic as I did 5 years in that area. People here are going to work, leave their apartment at 8 am and get off at work around 5 pm. That's 9 hours right there without the majority of residents during the weekday. Once they are off and at home, they either stay inside or go somewhere... Ulele or near the RADistrict for dinner. You are not going to have 14 or more residents standing outside any given evening for no reason to make the area feel more vibrant.

If anyone has learned anything, especially Downtown, it's that single use developments is not the answer for a successful downtown.

Tampa'sTime liked this post
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #24
ajaksalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbo View Post
I think they are missing out big time by not even using the rooftops for terraces or anything.
Pretty sure the renders show that the 4th floor will be private terraces?

Quote:
Also they look terrible, absolutely no style to them... just generic and plain.
That can be said about 90% of modernist architecture. IMO they definitely look better than a stucco box, though.
Old June 29th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #25
Brian72

Likes (Received): 977

After looking at these, I see there are private roof top terraces that will be amazing.

This is located in the arts district, if you want to call it that, and blends in nicely with the cube, aloft and that post modern design...

The walk ups are great too.

If you are looking for a downtown to be Manhattan with that China town, Times Square or Little Italy feel to it, I can see the argument against single use....but if you go to Brooklyn or any other area of similar density, you will have no shortage of single use, 4 story dwellings like this..

The fact that its not an empty lot as we have seen for a couple decades throughout downtown is a huge benefit.

Walk-able isn't defined by having shops line the streets, its all about weather you want to walk there because its safe, has something to appreciate...sometimes I avoid the busiest street and take a side street....just saying there isn't a need for a bustling china town to make Tampa great again.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #26
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4085

I feel like people are sticking up for this because they want to own one. Not because it's good urban design.
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #27
ajaksalad

Found this while wandering in Google Maps. IDK but i don't think i've seen this project on the forum before? Pics are relatively new (January 2017) and based on the streetview the site seems really active with trucks & a portable office...

Streetview https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9526...7i13312!8i6656
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #28
FloridaFuture

^

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1953731
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #29
ajaksalad

Ok thanks, didn't remember that thread.
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:18 AM   #30
FloridaFuture

New renders:

Old September 1st, 2017, 03:23 PM   #31
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 150

Doesnt look classy to be honest. I'd be interested in seeing the price point/floor plans they are shooting for.
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:33 PM   #32
saerdna99

Likes (Received): 49

This would have been much better suited for SH or Ybor. My guess is these will be priced on the higher end and won't fetch the asking in those other locations.
saerdna99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:51 PM   #33
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 197

Those are going to look so stupid and out of place.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 05:25 PM   #34
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Doesnt look classy to be honest. I'd be interested in seeing the price point/floor plans they are shooting for.

The floor plans are on the city's portal website.
Old September 1st, 2017, 07:45 PM   #35
Brian72

Likes (Received): 977

I really like these, great size for Franklin street as well. Small projects like this also help make complete the streets....won't be long you will be able to walk around downtown Tampa without having large areas of undeveloped pockets of property along the way.

These remind me of a modern twist on brownstones, they also pic up on the arts district feel.

I would take one....

ajaksalad liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote