daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #1001
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Yea I live by it, its going up quick, never hurts to have more movies in the area.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1002
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2463

^Especially Pinellas. I recently went to the Parkside 16 during a week night and it was packed... Couldn't figure out why (nothing opened that night), then I remembered that almost every other theater in Pinellas is an outdated dump.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1003
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^Especially Pinellas. I recently went to the Parkside 16 during a week night and it was packed... Couldn't figure out why (nothing opened that night), then I remembered that almost every other theater in Pinellas is an outdated dump.
Besides Baywalk, that's like the only movie theater in South Pinellas.

I think? I know Baywalk is the only one in the St. Pete city limits.
TampaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #1004
jvance75

Likes (Received): 13

Oldsmar - Woodlands 20
Palm Harbor - Muvico 10
Clearwater- Cobb Countryside 12 with IMAX
Pinellas Park- 16 Screens
Saint Petersburg - Muvico 20

thats it for a county this large...most of the small theaters have shuttered.
jvance75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #1005
shipmate

Likes (Received): 0

The Portland

The PORTLAND has opened an office in MLK at 3rd - 1 block from the building.
They are calling the building "upscale affordable apartment living. It will not be an age restricted building.
Units will be 1/1: 543 SqFt - $558
2/1: 711 to 796 SqFt - $659
and 3/2: 885 and 904 SqFt - $762

Occupancy is expected by mid October
They report getting 4 to 5 applications per day.

The mockup looks very chic and the kitchen is contemporary.
shipmate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1006
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

That also might be a reflection on the demographics of the county as a whole. Going out to the movies has transitioned into the mid-priced night out category. If you have a lot of people with low levels of disposable income (low end service workers and retirees), there won't be a market for theaters. Its just the opposite out here in LA. We have lots of young people, making pretty decent money so there are theaters everywhere. Many have gone to assigned seating (which is great so we can always try to get those first row behind the rail/foot rest seats) because of demand. A typical movie night for the three of us is $10 per adult ticket, $8 for the kid, if we drive parking will be around $4 with validation, $20 for two drinks and a popcorn. So $52 for just the movie (non-3D, add $2-4 per ticket for 3D), not huge but when you start throwing in dinner, desert, etc., it can easily run $200 just for a night out. We generally hit the movies about once or twice a month.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1007
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 967

Explains the reason why West Pasco has only one true movie theater for everyone that lives in this area. Although I do think one in Trinity would work decently well, but that's because that area has more families and more $$$ compared to the rest of West Pasco.
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #1008
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvance75 View Post
Oldsmar - Woodlands 20
Palm Harbor - Muvico 10
Clearwater- Cobb Countryside 12 with IMAX
Pinellas Park- 16 Screens
Saint Petersburg - Muvico 20

thats it for a county this large...most of the small theaters have shuttered.
There is also still Largo Mall 8 and Seminole Mall 8, but we certainly do not have a comparable number of screens compared to what Hillsborough has.

Simon had plans to (re)build the movie theater at Tyrone, but those plans apprently fell through or were postponed indefintely.

I do agree that going to the movies is no longer a cheap family outing. And we still have a large senior population, and they just do not go out to the movies like younger people do (or want to), regardless of income. I suspect at some point we will see a new theater or two in Pinellas as a result of redevelopment and population growth in certain areas. St. Pete is quietly increasing in appeal to a younger demographic. But a new theater is many years down the road.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #1009
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahi98 View Post
There is also still Largo Mall 8 and Seminole Mall 8, but we certainly do not have a comparable number of screens compared to what Hillsborough has.

Simon had plans to (re)build the movie theater at Tyrone, but those plans apprently fell through or were postponed indefintely.

I do agree that going to the movies is no longer a cheap family outing. And we still have a large senior population, and they just do not go out to the movies like younger people do (or want to), regardless of income. I suspect at some point we will see a new theater or two in Pinellas as a result of redevelopment and population growth in certain areas. St. Pete is quietly increasing in appeal to a younger demographic. But a new theater is many years down the road.
And yet, Baywalk pretty much tried to drive off the youth from the plaza and Muvico.
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:01 AM   #1010
smiley

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
And yet, Baywalk pretty much tried to drive off the youth from the plaza and Muvico.
Rather, the youth drove Baywalk to drive off the youth.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1011
TampaGuy

I read an article recently that said The Portland(http://theportlandapartments.com/) is already 40% resereved even though it won't open until November. They said they strongly believe they'll be 100% filled by completion.
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #1012
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2463

Lots of people can't qualify for any kind of mortgage anymore after what the recession did, or don't have the downpayment even if they do.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #1013
TampaGuy

Bill Edwards poised to buy struggling BayWalk

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...aywalk/1189606

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG — BayWalk, the city's crown jewel that turned to a pumpkin, is about to be bought by a new owner who promises to make it a vibrant part of downtown once again.

The buyer is Bill Edwards, a longtime mortgage magnate and music producer who has become downtown St. Petersburg's preeminent entertainment and development player.

"It's a great piece of property that needs to be rejuvenated and put back together," Edwards said after confirming the pending sale Friday night. "I'm an ex-Marine, so I want to stop the bleeding, treat the wound and stop the shock."

He plans to close on the largely empty complex on Sept. 15. He would not reveal a sale price.

Edwards said he will likely change BayWalk's name to disassociate the complex from its sharp fall from glory.

He also wants to move the escalators and public restrooms. Beyond that, he said he doesn't have a clear plan for the makeup of tenants or redesign of the 74,500-square-foot retail center.

"I've walked around that place for about 12 hours in the sun for the last two weeks and I've looked at this and looked at that," he said. "This probably sounds kind of crazy to buy it and not know exactly what you're going to do with it, but we're going to redevelop it and make it very special for downtown."

Edwards said he has spoken indirectly with local and national anchors.

"I'd love to see something like a Victoria's Secret downtown, not that I've talked to them. I'd like to have (stores) that should be closer by so people wouldn't have to go to International Plaza for everything," he said.

At one time BayWalk was home to national retailer Ann Taylor and it's still hanging on to two national chains: Chico's and White House Black Market.

What can Edwards do differently to attract not just the retailers but also the shoppers needed to support them?

"I'd like to make it more user friendly and people friendly. There are a lot of people downtown and they're rocking, they're doing things. There are things at night that could attract people to the area. I'm bringing in some designers and talking with the city."

Known as a creative yet also contentious force, Edwards, 66, is a Treasure Island businessman who wears many hats. He is chief executive of Mortgage Investors Corp., president and CEO of The Club at Treasure Island and head of his own music production company.

Edwards' mortgage company, which did $4.1 billion in loans last year, has been scrutinized, and cleared, for aggressive sales tactics to veterans.

In April, his music promotion company was awarded the job of managing and operating the city-owned Mahaffey Theater on the premise that he could transform the sleepy facility into a bustling complex. He partnered on a $1 million renovation of Jannus Landing, only to pull out after it reopened last year. After buying the bankrupt Treasure Island Tennis & Yacht Club, he invested in a makeover and brought Vegas-style acts and a few Grammy winners.

With Mahaffey and now potentially BayWalk, Edwards has two of downtown's most crucial but under-performing assets.

"Given his track record with entertainment and his history with what he's doing with the Mahaffey and downtown, this could be great for BayWalk," said City Council member Leslie Curran. "BayWalk needs someone who will look out for the best interest of downtown, and it seems like Bill Edwards is doing that."

When BayWalk opened in 2000, it was deemed a success. Visitors flocked to the complex's upscale shops, nightclubs and restaurants. It seemed like a wise investment of the $20 million in taxpayer money it took to finance it.

But it soon struggled after a peculiar series of well-publicized events involving protesters and wayward teens. At times, the complex seemed cursed. During a 2008 concert, a large stereo speaker fell 20 feet and landed on a 3-year-old's head, leaving him with severe brain damage.

A group of investors, CW Capital Asset Management, took part ownership of the complex in 2009. BayWalk's fortunes took another turn when CW Capital lobbied to privatize the entrance in front of the complex so protesters, homeless people and teens could be turned away.

The move drew a storm of protests from homeless advocates and free speech supporters, but the City Council approved the move in one of the most controversial votes in recent city history.

Yet BayWalk continued to struggle and became more vacant. The property was put on the block for $8 million in March. According to Colliers International Tampa Bay, there were 18 written offers for BayWalk. But with no subsequent sale, those close to the complex grew restless. By July, BayWalk's last remaining major tenant, Muvico Entertainment, sued BayWalk owners for neglect of the downtown property and breach of contract.

BayWalk's current owners couldn't be reached Friday. Kyle Parks, a spokesman for Colliers, said he couldn't comment.

"We're not comfortable with making a public announcement of the sale until there's a closing and we can announce that," Parks said.

But Edwards couldn't hide his enthusiasm for the project.

"I think it's a great opportunity," he said, "and I love challenges obviously because that's a hell of a challenge I'm looking at."
This could be great for Baywalk, a person who actually cares about St. Pete and the area.
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #1014
Jahi98

Lots of big projects going at once. The best part is that he is personally commited to the community.

Since he wants to keep it semi-upscale, White House/Black Market and Chico's are hanging in there. Maybe he should go for a Coldwater Creek or something along those lines to further catch more that crowd. I also think a Williams-Sonoma or something along those lines might do well. Then a shoe store like Nine West or Steve Madden. Through in a Tommy Bahama or Brooks Brothers for the men. Apple would be a hit and draw for the entire center. Add a couple of restaurants upstairs, recognizeable chains that we don't have in Pinellas like PF Changs and Seasons 52, and we have a winner.

I just wonder what will happen with the theater company that's in there now.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1015
Jahi98

Good models for what BayWalk (and other combined properties) should have been and can still be:

CityCreek in Salt Lake City, UT
www.downtownrising.com

River Park Square in Spokane, WA
www.riverparksquare.com
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1016
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Good news about Signature Place

By Mark Puente, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Friday, September 30, 2011
After three years and steep price cuts, all 56,000 square feet of office and retail space at the base of St. Petersburg's iconic Signature Place has finally sold.
Once occupied, the space will house 13 businesses with about 100 employees, said developer Joel Cantor, who pioneered the $170 million project that transformed the city's waterfront skyline.
"Everything will sell if it is priced right," he said.
The 244 residential units in the 36-story building sold out last year.
Businesses owning space in the complex include ZGrille, Bull Fitness, the Mahaffey Co., Gulf Atlantic Communities, RKM Commercial Real Estate and Wee Galleries.
Signature Place, at First Avenue S and Second Street, is considered one of the most innovative projects in the bay area. Most of the residential units have a view of the bay, courtesy of the building's slim, sail-shaped profile.
But in the economic downturn, it took deep prices cuts to attract buyers.
The first commercial customers of Signature Place paid more than $200 per square foot for office space. Recent buyers paid about $100 per square foot.
St. Petersburg's downtown office vacancy rate for the best office space hovered at 26 percent at the end of June. In Tampa, it was about 20 percent.
Colliers International brokers Alan Feldshue and Melanie Jackson handled the sale of commercial space at Signature Place. About 18,000 square feet will be devoted to retail; 38,000 square feet will be used for offices. The commercial space had been on the market since 2008. None sold in 2009 or 2010. Nearly two-thirds sold this year.
"We didn't anticipate this market," Jackson said. "We adjusted the prices to today's market."
The building drew buyers because other downtown office buildings lack new, vacant spaces between 1,000 and 8,000 square feet that can be bought, Feldshue said.
"It's a better value to own than lease," he said. Feldshue and Jackson also credit the selling to a partnership with space planners and architects who helped sell the vision for the empty spaces and quickly provided cost estimates for potential customers.
Jeffrey Bullock recently moved his Bull Fitness into 5,000 square feet at the bottom of the building, facing Tampa Bay. The space and build out cost about $700,000. He expects to lure clients from the nearby residential towers. The grand opening is in October.
"We're close to people with financial means," Bullock said.
Mark Puente can be reached at [email protected] or (727) 893-8459.

[Last modified: Sep 29, 2011 09:09 PM]
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1017
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Glad this building is going well as mixed-use in this economy.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1018
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
March 2nd's Development Review Meeting has the Approval of 21-story residential tower at the 145 4th NE Ave. by the Wannemacher Jensen Architects. They also worked on the Progress Energy Tower.
Looking over the Development Review Commission's agenda for Oct. 5, there's two things to bring up;

1) St. Anthony's Hospital received approval for a site plan modification for a 107,000 sq. ft. office building and 6-story parking garage
2) The 21-story residential by Wannemacher Jensen received approval to eliminate 4 conditions of approval for project. Now, I suck with these terms and such, so what does this mean? Is it cancelled or does it just mean they had conditions to meet to get approval of the project?
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1019
TampaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Looking over the Development Review Commission's agenda for Oct. 5, there's two things to bring up;

1) St. Anthony's Hospital received approval for a site plan modification for a 107,000 sq. ft. office building and 6-story parking garage
2) The 21-story residential by Wannemacher Jensen received approval to eliminate 4 conditions of approval for project. Now, I suck with these terms and such, so what does this mean? Is it cancelled or does it just mean they had conditions to meet to get approval of the project?
1) I'm interested to see where St. Anthony's plans on building these structures... it seems like they've built out their current land, but maybe they'll just build over the new parking lot they just built. Good to see them expanding again.

2) I didn't realize this project was still alive..
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:27 AM   #1020
TampaGuy

The Portland is complete, or at least the exterior is:
[IMG]http://i52.************/ohmed4.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry for the power lines, I was too lazy to get out of my car. It looks good.

Some other updates:
Urban Style Flats is renovating their second of three buildings, the first building is completely occupied and they've begun construction on the pool.

The USFSP student center is topped out. They have a webcam you can view to watch the progress here: http://www.usfsp.edu/aboutusf/construction.htm

Tags
development news, st. petersburg