daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #1
StPeteNative

Likes (Received): 80

Amazon Looking to Build 2nd HQ in North America

Change.org petition to have local leaders bring it to the Tampa Bay area.

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-tam...tampa-bay-area

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw a spot on CNBC about Amazon looking for a 2nd HQs location. The "insider" mentioned inexpensive land, ample room for multiple skyscrapers, and tax incentives as criteria. Any chance Water Street could attract a company like Amazon?

Talk about a game changer. One can dream...

Last edited by FloridaFuture; September 7th, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
StPeteNative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #2
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteNative View Post
I just saw a spot on CNBC about Amazon looking for a 2nd HQs location. The "insider" mentioned inexpensive land, ample room for multiple skyscrapers, and tax incentives as criteria. Any chance Water Street could attract a company like Amazon?

Talk about a game changer. One can dream...
1) Workforce will be the major driver of this decision and we are far behind Austin, DC, Toronto, etc the second driver will be incentives and the legislature just gutted that (whether it's a good idea or not the Midwest is spending like crazy on these). So we are not even close to the top on things like this. Heck they list transit as a key criteria.

2) Not even Water Street has enough office space for them. It'd have to include the Port proposal, THEA, etc and the Ardent Mills site (among others) to actually make it work. Though I am sure everyone but the flour makers would be willing.

3) However, the advantage is no Downtown in a mid-sized affordable city has this clear of a land, tax breaks possible, etc. It would be worth putting all $300+ million of the CRA into this IMHO.

That said a month turnaround read like a fishing expedition to see if they can get FoxConn like $ or they already know where they want.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Mark G

Likes (Received): 141

Tampa should be on the short list according to this article.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...ers-2017-09-07
Mark G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Mark G

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
1) Workforce will be the major driver of this decision and we are far behind Austin, DC, Toronto, etc the second driver will be incentives and the legislature just gutted that (whether it's a good idea or not the Midwest is spending like crazy on these). So we are not even close to the top on things like this. Heck they list transit as a key criteria.

2) Not even Water Street has enough office space for them. It'd have to include the Port proposal, THEA, etc and the Ardent Mills site (among others) to actually make it work. Though I am sure everyone but the flour makers would be willing.

3) However, the advantage is no Downtown in a mid-sized affordable city has this clear of a land, tax breaks possible, etc. It would be worth putting all $300+ million of the CRA into this IMHO.

That said a month turnaround read like a fishing expedition to see if they can get FoxConn like $ or they already know where they want.
I think they are planning on building their own campus, although they could potentially work with Vinik and expand the planned Water Street area.
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #5
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4081

Vinik's project is too small for 50K jobs but our post on URBN just now speculates Tampa Park Apartments and/or the Port's redevelopment plan could work.
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #6
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1378

This would be damn near equivalent to hosting the Superbowl every year for the next 20 years or so in my opinion. However, as awesome as this would be for the entire Tampa Bay region or even Central Florida for that matter, I believe a second HQ location somewhere in the Northeast corridor would be more than likely be an ideal move for the company, as it would be located near the region's major population centers of D.C. Philly, NY, and Boston.
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #7
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA View Post
This would be damn near equivalent to hosting the Superbowl every year for the next 20 years or so in my opinion. However, as awesome as this would be for the entire Tampa Bay region or even Central Florida for that matter, I believe a second HQ location somewhere in the Northeast corridor would be more than likely be an ideal move for the company, as it would be located near the region's major population centers of D.C. Philly, NY, and Boston.
That's what real economic development looks like.

FLAWDA-FELLA liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #8
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Vinik's project is too small for 50K jobs but our post on URBN just now speculates Tampa Park Apartments and/or the Port's redevelopment plan could work.
Water Street already plans to get 23K jobs in there, so I sure it's not too small. Just not in the current plans.

Old September 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #9
FloridaFuture

Petition to bring it here:

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-tam...tampa-bay-area
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #10
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
Water Street already plans to get 23K jobs in there, so I sure it's not too small. Just not in the current plans.
I don't think that Water Street gets 23K jobs. Asfaik 23k will be the number of daily visitors of the the district, including workers, students, faculty and people visiting.
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #11
StPeteNative

Likes (Received): 80

Grasping at straws here,but I wonder if having Bill Gates involved is a plus. Seattle and Tech connection
StPeteNative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #12
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Amazon is seeking a "development-oriented" market, site consultant John Boyd Jr. said.

"Atlanta should be the on the short list,” Boyd said. “Any competent site search for headquarters will look at Atlanta.”

Other contenders include Tampa and the Miami area, Boyd said, citing Tampa's new waterfront development and Miami's Brightline project.
http://www.11alive.com/news/atlanta-...ters/471969995
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #13
Mark G

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteNative View Post
Grasping at straws here,but I wonder if having Bill Gates involved is a plus. Seattle and Tech connection
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It may be something they have already discussed.
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #14
TPAman22

Likes (Received): 282

I think there are a few cities who are the front runners such as Boston, Austin, and Atlanta, but I feel Tampa could make a good pitch, especially if Vinik gets involved (not necessarily including Amazon into Water street, more just to pitch what Tampa has to offer).
TPAman22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #15
TamBay

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
The port is interesting to me, because it would be a blank canvas for amazon to build a campus as they wanted, but also could make a deal with the port itself becoming a major recieving center; a major two-for-one.

I know it's a long shot, but Water Street, an Amazon hq at the port, and a new Rays stadium would radically transform the downtown!
TamBay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #16
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamBay View Post
The port is interesting to me, because it would be a blank canvas for amazon to build a campus as they wanted, but also could make a deal with the port itself becoming a major recieving center; a major two-for-one.

I know it's a long shot, but Water Street, an Amazon hq at the port, and a new Rays stadium would radically transform the downtown!
Problem with the Port, you leave hundreds of millions in local incentives (downtown CRA) off the table.

Old September 8th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #17
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 102

Amazon and Tampa Water Street are a match made in heaven. They could of have there way with the designs of some of the office portion of the huge project.

Last edited by Tampa on the move.; September 8th, 2017 at 10:16 AM.
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #18
Tampa on the move.

Amazon and Tampa Water Street are a match made in heaven. They could of have there way with the designs of some of the office portion of the huge project.

Maybe even go taller plus if needed build on the Port where those proposed 2 -- 75 story buildings are to go up.

Icon Tampa. Iconic Tampa.
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #19
Tampa on the move.

Tampa Austin to me are your top 2 choices. You could even name the new Rays stadium. Amazon Field or Amazon Paaark.
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #20
Tampa on the move.

Tampa---------😎