daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #41
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 155

As an Atlanta native, I see Atlanta being in the top 3. Midtown is exploding with IT talent, Georgia Tech is right there. They can even locate in the burbs in some places. Cobb doesn't have MARTA but this could be seen as a catalyst to expand the line there. North Fulton doesn't have MARTA either but same deal.

Tampa Bay has a shot too though, but let's face it we are kinda far away from everyone besides other Florida cities.
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #42
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
One proposed location in our pitch is Downtown Tampa, and another one is Downtown St. Pete

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...headed-to.html
From a pure blank slate standpoint, I think the Trop site is the best fit. I mean it is an 85-acre parking lot in the middle of a city. It doesn't get much more blank slate than that.

Downtown obviously has the draw of being closer to the airport and more office space.

Tampa Bay as a whole though probably does not have the draw of talent that Amazon needs. We do have no state income tax though.
Old October 20th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #43
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:

Tampa Bay has a shot too though, but let's face it we are kinda far away from everyone besides other Florida cities.
I don't think this matters all that much, people in business fly so we aren't all that far once you are in the air.

Getting TIA connected to downtown would be a huge plus.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #44
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
I don't think this matters all that much, people in business fly so we aren't all that far once you are in the air.

Getting TIA connected to downtown would be a huge plus.
Yeah but as good as an airport that TIA is...it is no Atlanta in terms of flight availability.
Old October 20th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #45
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 196

Not many airports compare to Atlanta. It is the busiest airport in the world.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #46
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1378

I'm not quite sure if Amazon is looking to expand its customer base farther south into Latin America, but geographically speaking, the Tampa Bay area does seem to have both a maritime/logistical advantage over several of the other contenders on the list other than Miami or Orlando. By us having a relatively decent size port in our very own backyard, it could very well move us up a couple of notches on the list, especially with several emerging markets continuing to expand their presence on the South American continent and the recent expansion of the Panama Canal.
Old October 20th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #47
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA View Post
I'm not quite sure if Amazon is looking to expand its customer base farther south into Latin America, but geographically speaking, the Tampa Bay area does seem to have both a maritime/logistical advantage over several of the other contenders on the list other than Miami or Orlando. By us having a relatively decent size port in our very own backyard, it could very well move us up a couple of notches on the list, especially with several emerging markets continuing to expand their presence on the South American continent and the recent expansion of the Panama Canal.
Very good points. I think the Port hasn't really been brought up enough.
Old October 20th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #48
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 196

True, but the inability for the mega ships to dock in Tampa would need to be addressed and there is no easy solution to that. I know they have a couple larger cranes and have dredging planned, but not sure that's enough to get them to dock. I know the new cruise ships won't fit under the Skyway. Having Amazon come certainly would warrant a fix though. All kinds of things would be on the table.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:55 PM   #49
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 150

We actually have the largest port in Florida. However, due to the skyway bridge we cant accept super tankers, large container ships, or the next level of cruise ships. A bit of an oversight when they built it, but i doubt they ever expected ships to become so large.

I honestly dont think we stand a chance... until we realize some form of mass transit i dont see anything like this happening. Vinik had a hard enough time bringing a major HQ here and he had a lot to offer. (did they ever announce who he got, or is that still a work in progress?)
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 06:28 PM   #50
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbo View Post
We actually have the largest port in Florida. However, due to the skyway bridge we cant accept super tankers, large container ships, or the next level of cruise ships. A bit of an oversight when they built it, but i doubt they ever expected ships to become so large.

I honestly dont think we stand a chance... until we realize some form of mass transit i dont see anything like this happening. Vinik had a hard enough time bringing a major HQ here and he had a lot to offer. (did they ever announce who he got, or is that still a work in progress?)
Even if he has found a company to relocate to .... or expand within Tampa, I feel like Vinik wouldn't announce until all the puzzles are in place. Although we can clearly expect incentives to be offered from the county and city under a "top secret" name, and we have yet to see that.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:19 PM   #51
apartmentev

and honestly, we are talking about major tax breaks here....Why can't we invest that many into small local businesses?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:00 PM   #52
tamparican

Likes (Received): 41

the public transportation is horrible in Tampa and sadly that is the first complaint from all my co-workers who relocate here from other cities across the country every few months. it's honestly not even an option, unless its your ONLY option. Other than that and the fact we are pretty isolated from all other states (with us being a peninsula at the bottom), I personally think Tampa has a decent chance with regards to all of the other benefits it can offer Amazon as covered already..
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #53
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

Any chance Microsoft is looking to have a sub-headquarters here?

There is a connection with Gates being involved....
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote