daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
meagain
GLASGOW

Likes (Received): 0

Glasgow Shitty Council

I arrived at the office this morning having just managed to traverse Buchanan Street's Plethora of delivery trucks blocking every possible pedestrian route! .....why are so many more needed - it's getting worse and worse....... to the point of ridicule!!...... is there not meant to be some kind of control on them?

Should we have signs up for the wealthy culture minded tourists, who are rightly escaping this slum to spend their money in edinburgh first thing in the morning, to apologise for the very poor condition of our streeets:
our flagship streets are littered with rubbish
there is a slick of largely traffic related filth from top to bottom
at least 2 of the 'city of flowers!!?!' council plant pots are lying on their sides with mud strewn accross the ground on buchanan st
the tax payers expensive paving is progressively being replaced with tarmac - if and when someone does notice it does need repaired
tax payers expensive street furniture is not being repaired or replaced but simply swapped for cheaper alternatives

......does anyone at the council really give a shit?
I am used to seeing all of the above here.... I wonder what the people that are not think!?
.....to those at the council that are responsible for managing our streets (i cant help thinking that if they read this and they'll each be thinking 'thats not my responsibiliy!') poor show, VERY poor show!!? seriously.

..... dont let me get started on the diabolical public transport and profiteering parking restrictions.....

Last edited by meagain; August 14th, 2006 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spolling
meagain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 14th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Bingo Bango

as you know i agree entirely. i can upset myself very easily by running through the list of complaints i have with the state of the public realm....

i have never been to another city where you walk along one of the main streets and your feet actually stick to the ground! as, sauchiehall street!

and as for the tarmac, that is a favourite of mine, as in it is something i hate with a passion. i noticed at the corner of george square the ground has been cut up and then patched with black tar. ******* ridiculous.

anyway, i started another thread about this a while ago, seems to have got lost but it is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with.

i am going to go and cry now
Bingo Bango no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #3
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Yep its getting so bad the folks are starting to sweep up themselves.

How about a rebate of the high rates to all that the businesses pay GCC??

ET

I'm so sick of litter I sweep street myself

MAURICE TAYLOR feels forced to clean the area around his hotel but fears for city's tourism
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #4
my kitten

Totally agree Meagain. For a city trying to enlarge its tourist industry it doesn't do a lot to keep the city centre clean. Theres the stench from the bins, the dirt all over the place (have you seen the "tidemark" under the fences at the bus gate on Hope Street? My favourite at the moment is the amount of cigarette butts lying around (we need wardens with on the spot fines that's the only way people learn), as well as the dirt on the shop fronts (they get their windows cleaned everyday why not the surrounds?).

I could have pages of my gripes
my kitten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #5
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 89

On the spot fines for cigarette butts? WHAT????? Providing more bins with ash trays on them would be good enough! In fact, more bins generally!
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

Slip out of darkness, it is time.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #6
loose canon
pictures speak volumes

Likes (Received): 38

If you walk down roebank st in dennistoun there's always a street sweeper working on the street well almost always and a certain councilor lives on this street. I asked for one bin for my st and the glass to be swept up five weeks ago still neither have been done. Two years ago hawthorn st had the pot holes and broken man hole covers filled with tar and new lines painted, a month later the st was completly re-surfaced including old surfaced removed, then new lines painted again. Ive seen examples of this all over the city including a new foot path along a road in the east end with railings, the pavement had a dead end then six months later it was removed and grassed over. AS FOR THE TARMAC THING DONT GET ME STARTED I COULD GO ON ALL DAY ABOUT THAT ONE
loose canon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #7
tonytowers
Remember the Name

How about putting your rubbish in your pocket until u find a bin Crusty?

Last edited by tonytowers; August 17th, 2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Forgot question mark, also because I can.
tonytowers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #8
crusty_bint
control yourself

Tony - have you ever tried putting a lit cigarette end in your pocket?

Old August 17th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #9
jet_acrimony

Was walking down Sauchiehall Street yesterday. The pavements are disgusting - cigarette butts, chewing gum, kebab sauce and the usual occassional pile of carrotts in a doorway.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #10
tonytowers
Remember the Name

No I havn't Crusty. How about getting one of those cigarette butt carriers or not smoking. Surly if its acceptable to drop a fag end then where do you draw line, it's not to pleasent putting a greasy wrapper in your pocket so does that mean it's ok to drop that on the ground?
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #11
crusty_bint
control yourself

Tony - bite me! I put my trash in the bin an always have! And I don't eat kebabs nor spew in public, nor do I binge drink - if I want to smoke I shall, if there's somewhere to stub out my cigarette in a responsible manner I do, and if not I try and aim for a stank! Why not crawl in one?

Old August 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #12
my kitten

There's certainly not enough bins in this town and the ones we do have don't get emptied enough either.
my kitten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #13
tonytowers
Remember the Name

Haha, smokers-they're so uptight arn't they! I think the main problem these days with pavements covering pavements is a knock on effect from the smoking ban. With everyone outside there is obviously going to be more on the ground. So I think pubs, clubs etc. should be made to sweep the pavements outside their premises the next day.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #14
outofchaosaworld

The issue is not about what folk do with fag butts nor even litter really. Other cities in the world have litter and smokers and appear cleaner. I recall being in Barcelona and wandering back to my hotel in the wee small hours and the streets were literally being hosed down. There were teams of guys working through the night making sure the city centre was clean. In Glasgow you will sometimes get a wee guy running along the street in one of those ineffective wee cleaning cart vehicle things but the commitment doesnt seem to be there.
outofchaosaworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #15
tonytowers
Remember the Name

Thats true Chaos, I've seen that myself in Barcelona. I think the council there accepts it as perfectly normal hosing the streets down and see it as a responsibility to the businesses so the city can start afresh each day. I think thats something I'd like to see in Glasgow especially with our "expensive" pavements it would be nice to see them spic and span each morning.
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #16
crusty_bint
control yourself

Well it's no irony that a city built on the profits of te tobacco trade has streets lined with inch long cigarette ends! People who stand outside pubs, beside an ashtray, that throw thier butts in the street piss me off too - what do you do when you've waited 45 minutes on a bus though and there's still no sign of it? I'm fed up being treated like a leper for smoking when there's running battles happening outside pubs coz people are that blitzed they cant keep it the gither! And worse! jeez.. non smokers are such patronising bastards.

Old August 18th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #17
jet_acrimony

Ex-smokers are even worse
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #18
tonytowers
Remember the Name

Thats coz we know better Crusty
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #19
crusty_bint
control yourself

Indeed Jet! Tony... forget it ya choob

Old August 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #20
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty_bint
choob
LOLZer-COpter

--------------

The city is too dirty, there aren't enough bins, and Jonny-Six-pack doesn't give a shit about it anyway. There's no point arguing over cigarette ends on here, ladz, as the real problem is the insanely large Pleb population which, given the chance, would probably shit on the street if it wasn't quite so frowned upon in today's cosmopolitan society.

If I had a pound for every NED I have seen looking at a bin with quiet admiration, and then just dropping his/her litter right next to it without making any attempt to stretch those extra 23 inches and actually put their crap in the bin, I'd be bloody rich. I'm talking Samuel L Jackson, Snakes on a Plane style rich.

For the most part, Glaswegians have to be educated that it is acceptable to use bins, despite clearly being taught by their parents that bins are only for raking in.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: