SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Downtown St. Petersburg Development News

610K views 2K replies 102 participants last post by  FloridaFuture 
#1 · (Edited)
Moderator's Note (6/30/15):

This thread is now solely for Downtown St. Pete and the immediately adjacent neighborhoods. This thread before 6/30/15 was for all of Pinellas County.

The development list below is outdated. Please refer to the stickied master list thread for an updated development list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

List compiled courtesy of multifamilyinvestor

Signature Place- 36 stories, topped out, 366 feet, completion 2008, 221 units
http://www.signaturestpete.com/

Tropicana Block- 33 story condo, 36 story hotel, 585 units, proposed

Fuel Group Tower - 32 stories, 260 hotel rooms, 111 condos, proposed

The Edge: 31 stories, 176 units, 369 feet, site cleared, site being used for equipment storage
http://www.attheedge.com/

400 Beach Drive: 28 stories, 91 units, recently complete
http://www.400beachdrive.com/

Progress Energy Florida Office Building & Grand Bohemian- Office building complete, condotel building in sales, 26 stories, 22 condo units, 350 feet
http://www.grandbohemianresidences.com/

The Tamarind On Central - 27 stories, 270 units, 300 feet
http://www.tamarindoncentral.com/

The Arts- 35 story buildings, approved, in sales, 503 units, 310 feet, Cuhuly Art exhibit
New:

Old:
http://theartsofstpete.com/

Ovation- 26 stories, 40 units, 358 feet, retail, U/C
http://www.ovationjmc.com/

La Vista - 25 stories, 97 units, 375 feet

Liberty Bayfront Hotel- 22 stories, 260 feet, 252 hotel rooms, PRP

Bayway Lofts:

The Vanguard

The Sage Condominiums- 13 stories, 140 units, 130 feet, topped out
http://www.thesagecondos.com/

The Winward: 2x 11 stories
http://www.thewindwardfl.com/

All Children's Hospital Expansion

USF St. Petersburg Dorm- complete

Plaza on Fifth Ave

1010 Central

Corey Landing- 77 feet tall, Wyndham Hotel, 200 hotel rooms, 336 unit marina, retail, APR

Treasure Island Publix- 2 stories, 25,000 sq. feet, topped out

http://stpeteshines.stpete.org/projects/spedd/18-spedd121702/current dev map 3-06.pdf

http://sptimes.com/2006/03/19/skyline/

See less See more
#2 ·
Building to fall so another can rise
By PAUL SWIDER
Published June 7, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - The old makes way for the new Thursday on First Avenue S when a 13,000-pound wrecking ball will have at BayView Tower to clear land for Signature Place, the angular tower slated to be Pinellas County's tallest residential building.

The nondescript BayView, with its blank concrete and tiny windows, was once the Cramer Federal Building, an eight-story block built in 1967 and sold to Joel Cantor of Gulf Atlantic Real Estate in 1999. Cantor will now replace it with a soaring 35-story wing of glass and steel, a luxury tower featuring a water wall and bay views from every unit.

"Signature Place was born from a passion ... to design a thought-provoking building that stands the test of time in terms of style and vigor," Cantor said.

Many have felt Cantor's passion as 70 percent of the complex's 243 units have been sold. Those buyers have been invited to the BayView demolition and one of them will win a raffle for the chance to command the wrecking ball into action. Demolition will take some six weeks, but construction of the new building may begin sooner because its footprint does not overlap the existing building.

At one point, the project envisioned keeping BayView, said sales director Debbie ******, but architect Ralph Johnson decided the office and retail space for the project would better fit in newer buildings so the entire project would match.

"We didn't want to put this amazing building next to that," she said. "In order to create a true landmark, we need to take the whole block."

In addition to the tower, the Signature complex will include 19,000 square feet of retail space and 36,000 square feet of offices, as well as a five-story parking garage and waterfall. Some of the less-expensive loft units in the complex will be in the two low-rise buildings adjoining the tower.

The $200-million Signature complex is expected to be completed by the end of 2008. Prices range from $400,000 to $4-million, ****** said.

Crews have been demolishing the interior of BayView for several months in preparation for tearing it down. Before the big hits, Cantor let the St. Petersburg Police Department use the empty interior for training exercises, ****** said, because it provided a real-life environment in which they need not fear injury to bystanders or damage to property. The developer had hoped to have a police rappelling demonstration down the face of the building before demolition began, but plans have not been finalized, ****** said.

Invitations went out to about 150 people for the demolition party, ****** said, but she doesn't expect all the buyers to attend. Units have been sold throughout the building, including two of the five penthouses - one for $1.4-million, the other for $2.9-million - including a couple to unnamed Tampa Bay Buccaneers players.

****** said buyers have already started to get to know one another at a party for the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, which residents will be able to watch from above once Signature is completed. She said about half the buyers are from the Tampa Bay area, but others are from all over the United States and some from Europe. Cantor's stated intention is to create a building of international renown for a changing downtown.

"People want to be in a landmark," ****** said, noting that the Signature, slightly taller than the Bank of America building, will be as or more visible on the city's skyline. Principal designer Ralph Johnson, of Miami-based Perkins+Will, has said he had the city's skyline in mind while working on the project.

"It is art and architecture that defines great cities," Johnson said.

Paul Swider can be reached at 892-2271 or pswider@sptimes.com or by participating in itsyourtimes.com.

[Last modified June 7, 2006, 06:44:22]
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/07/Neighborhoodtimes/Building_to_fall_so_a.shtml

#9 ·
You know, St. Pete is doing a great job, but the authors of the article are idiots. They define downtown St. Pete as basically being anything while downtown Tampa is basically seven blocks.

#11 · (Edited)
A little touchy eh? I was born in Tampa at St. Joe's almost half a century ago. I'm anxious to see Tampa come back to life as much as anyone. Maybe more. But what I read seemed to have at least some truth and accuracy to it. A little constructive criticism may be hard to bear but, if it's the truth, it could be used to help decide our future. St. Pete has a reputation of old geezers playing shuffle-board and bums on green benches to rid itself of. So far so good. If DT Tampa shuts down at night, hopefully that'll change with the residential buildings going up all over the place. To see what the Amtrak station has turned into with the area around it is sad. That area of DT has potential. I have high hopes for it. To have a nice lunch in a nice restaurant across from a beautiful train station in the middle of an attractive downtown neighborhood before catching the train means as much to me as an active nightlife to others. I have high hopes to experience that before my number is up. The train doesn't even come to St. Pete anymore. I like to think of St. Pete as a little tiny Chicago and Tampa as a little tiny Manhattan. Both cities have come a long way in the past few years and both have a long way to go. I'm proud to have been born in Tampa and proud to live in St. Pete. Tampa and St. Pete can both feed off of each others successes and both can suffer each other's losses. Aside from the comparisons, we're really in it together. Tampa was a beauty last night while driving back from Brandon. It looks waaayyyy bigger at night! :cheers:

#13 · (Edited)
Clearwater Cay Club

It's finally happening (seems like we've been waiting for two years to get construction started). All of the tenants are out of the old, dilapidated strip mall at US 19 and Belleair, and the entire area has been fenced in with the fronts taken down. Now demolition begins with a Ground Breaking Celebration on June 29th, with the ribbon cutting scheduled at 4:30pm in case anyone is in the neighborhood.

It's going to be a great project if it gets built as planned.

#15 ·
I-275westcoastfl said:
^what exactly are they going to build there?
Don't know how much of this has changed, but I doubt very little ... if I recall correctly, the hotel was 10 stories, and the other buildings were 6 to 8 stories.

Mystery at the cay
What's in store for Clearwater Cay and Cove Cay Marina? Neighbors and city officials want to know more.
By WILL VAN SANT, Times Staff Writer
Published August 28, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEARWATER - It's envisioned as a bit of Venice by the shores of Old Tampa Bay.

Developers plan to invest millions in the redevelopment and expansion of the Clearwater Cay Club on the north shore of Allen's Creek. The Mediterranean-themed project would boast housing, a hotel, spa, shops and a main street called Via Veneto, according to documents filed with the city.

To pay for the 49-acre project, the owners of Clearwater Cay have asked the city to create a community development district. The designation, the first of its kind in Clearwater, would allow the owners to borrow money on the bond market to pay for construction, then repay the debt by collecting mandatory assessments from anyone who owns property in the district.

Developers have declined opportunities to discuss their plans with a reporter. But at least two groups, Clearwater officials and residents of a nearby condominium complex who fear their marina may be in jeopardy, have questions.

Clearwater officials will discuss the proposal at a workshop Monday. The first of two public hearings on the issue is scheduled for Thursday at 6 p.m. Both meetings will take place at City Hall.

If the district is approved, the city would continue to receive property taxes from the area but would no longer be responsible for maintaining infrastructure there. But officials are wary because similar independent districts have sought to come under municipal oversight when maintenance costs climb.

"To us, it's interesting," said Garry Brumback, assistant city manager. "The downside is, talk to me in 20 years. They have a tendency to want to give it back."

Clearwater Cay now has some 336 residential units on 24 acres. The expanded development district would total 49 acres with 195 residences, 119 hotel rooms, 17,300 square feet of office space, 103,000 square feet of retail and 27,000 square feet of restaurant space, according to documents.

The plan, which calls for an initial bond issue of up to $34.4-million, would involve replacing the nearby Levitz shopping mall with new stores.

Clearwater officials stress that what's being considered now is simply the creation of the district. Approval of specific projects at the site would be subject to the standard development approval process.

That's small comfort to some residents of Cove Cay condominiums, which lie just south of the proposed district across Allen's Creek.

The proposed district includes the submerged lands beneath the creek and terminates on the shores of a 4-acre site, the Cove Cay Marina, that's home to a few boat slips.

Some Cove Cay residents fear that the developers want the land for the future site of an upscale marina, complete with high-rise dry storage for boats and perhaps deepened channels that could service the pricy yachts of future Clearwater Cay tenants. Expanded water access and marine recreational facilities could prove a big draw, Cove Cay residents point out.

Just what plan exists for the Cove Cay Marina site is unknown. The owners of Clearwater Cay who have petitioned the city for creation of the district, David Schwarz and Dave Clark, did not return calls from the Times.

However, evidence suggests that a plan does exist.

Cove Cay is home to four condominium villages, as well as the Cove Cay Golf & Country Club. Some residents belong to the club, but not all.

The country club has filed a lawsuit against the four condo villages seeking to abolish restrictions on the marina site found in a 1977 deed. Those restrictions require that the marina only be used by country club and Cove Cay residents for 40 years.

The lawsuit argues that the use of the marina site has changed over the years and that it's no longer used exclusively by country club members.

Attorney Scott Callahan is the registered agent for the ownership group behind the Clearwater Cay development plan. He belongs to the Orlando law firm that filed the lawsuit on behalf of the club.

Callahan did not return repeated calls from a reporter, nor did the president of the Cove Cay Country Club, Bill Torrey.

Douglas Crum is a 24-year resident of Cove Cay. He lives in the village closest to the marina and said tension in the community over what plans Clearwater Cay may have for the site is worsening because of all the mystery.

"Somebody knows," he said. "But they won't tell anybody."

Nor, he said, is this any way for neighbors to behave.

"We're not being treated like friends. We are being treated like strangers."

Will Van Sant can be reached at 445-4166 or vansant@sptimes.com

#16 · (Edited)
I had a bit of free time downtown this afternoon, so I took a couple of pics. There was more activity than I had expected, I think I'll be back next month to check out the other projects.

Recently completed McNulty Lofts

Clearing the way for the Signature Place

Progress Engery tower making a dent in the skyline (or is that the Grand Bohemian? Wouldn't know because I can't find the old Pinellas Development thread)

#18 ·
Grand Bohemian

Went by it yesterday. That's the Progress Energy building. They have not started on The Bohemian yet, which is a shame, because that will put a dent in the skyline. Echo comments on Signature Place.

#21 · (Edited)
smiley said:
That's Progress Energy - I hope it does not end up that boxy
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the same thing about the shape when I saw it.

And thanks for the link NPRguy. I figured the thread had been moved to the archive subforum.

As an aside, yesterday I was reminded of an urban feature in downtown St Pete that needs to be replicated. That would be the balconies above the sidewalk on Central (particularly the 200 block.) This allows for nearly day long shade, which is essential in the summer months. I believe this is common in New Orleans’ French Quarter, and it makes sense. No one enjoys walking around in urban areas with the radiant sunlight, scorching heat and stifling humidity that we're known for in Florida. Street trees do not always provide enough shade (plus they take years to reach maturity). The balcony-shaded sidewalks provide an assurance of sun protection. I think new, urban developments in hot, sunny locales such as Florida would benefit from using this model. It would encourage pedestrians to linger, sidewalk cafes would be viable year round. Sounds like a win win for everybody, but I’m sure it’s highly illegal.

#22 ·
Agent Orange said:
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the same thing about the shape when I saw it.

And thanks for the link NPRguy. I figured the thread had been moved to the archive subforum.

As an aside, yesterday I was reminded of an urban feature in downtown St Pete that needs to be replicated. That would be the balconies above the sidewalk on Central (particularly the 200 block.) This allows for nearly day long shade, which is essential in the summer months. I believe this is common in New Orleans’ French Quarter, and it makes sense. No one enjoys walking around in urban areas with the radiant sunlight, scorching heat and stifling humidity that we're known for in Florida. Street trees do not always provide enough shade (plus they take years to reach maturity). The balcony-shaded sidewalks provide an assurance of sun protection. I think new, urban developments in hot, sunny locales such as Florida would benefit from using this model. It would encourage pedestrians to linger, sidewalk cafes would be viable year round. Sounds like a win win for everybody, but I’m sure it’s highly illegal.
Actually it was on the next page. :)

I agree. I wouldn't like drinking my work lunch drinking my cappuchino9sp?0 in the burning heat. How is it illegal?

#23 ·
smiley said:
That's Progress Energy - I hope it does not end up that boxy

I think you are reacting to the first several floors which are the parking garage. Once they finish the outside it will look different. The facade will vary between concrete and glass. Plus there are several floors to go which will make it taller and less square. These two pics are almost looking at the exact same angle:

I know the building is not Signature Place, but it is a new Class A office building downtown with a Fortune 250 Tenant who is commited to developing downtown St. Petersburg as they lured the hotel next door and are developing space for the college and museum

#26 ·
Facing a slumping area condo market, the developer of the Grand Bohemian redraws plans.

By STEVE HUETTEL, Times Staff Writer
Published July 1, 2006
------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - With downtown condominium sales weakening, the developer of the Grand Bohemian Hotel & Residences is redesigning the $100-million project with more hotel rooms and fewer condos.

Richard Kessler has asked the city to modify development plans for the 28-story tower to include 260 hotel rooms, an increase of 50 percent, and nearly twice as much event and meeting space.

He wants to cut the number of residential condos, priced from $500,000 to $5-million for penthouse suites, from 82 to 52.

Representatives of Kessler met with St. Petersburg officials last week and "were concerned about getting enough condos sold to complete the project," said Rick Mussett, the city's development administrator.

Kessler said "several" customers made condo reservations, which don't require nonrefundable deposits. The main reason for the change, he said, is the hotel would be more profitable with more than 200 rooms.

His development deal with the city requires Kessler to close on the property, part of the old Maas Brothers department store site, by Aug. 15. A contract amendment scheduled to go before the City Council on Thursday would move the deadline back one year and allow the project changes.

Construction was originally set to begin last month but has been moved back to early 2007, said Kessler. The Grand Bohemian will open sometime in 2009.

Some 3,000 new condos are under construction or planned for downtown. "We've got so many condos going up, we'd like to see more different types of uses," said Mussett. "We've been encouraging them all along to have as many hotel units as possible."

Kessler's company, the Orlando-based Kessler Collection, specializes in high-end resort hotels built to AAA four-diamond standards. Pinellas has five four-diamond hotels, but only one downtown, the Renaissance Vinoy Resort.

The Westin Grand Bohemian across from City Hall in Orlando features original artwork in rooms, a fine-dining restaurant at street level and nightly performances on an Imperial Grand Bosendorfer piano, one of two in the world.

The St. Petersburg hotel will reflect the same standards and raise the bar for Tampa Bay area hotels, says Kessler. "It will be the first one of that quality, the first true luxury hotel in Tampa-St.Petersburg," he says.

But unlike the Orlando version, the local hotel won't carry the brand of Westin or any other chain.

A hotel "nameplate" establishes a level of quality. More importantly, it brings in bookings through the chain's powerful reservations system and customer loyalty programs. But it also costs hotel owners a significant share of revenues

About one-third of reservations at the Orlando Grand Bohemian come through Westin or its parent, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, said general manager Roger Ploum.

The success of the first Grand Bohemian in Orlando makes Kessler "quite confident" the brand can stand on its own and he plans to expand it to future properties, said spokeswoman Mary Kenny.

Steve Huettel can be reached at huettel@sptimes.com or 813 226-3384.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/01/Business/More_hotel__less_resi.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.