search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:08 AM   #441
guy debord

Likes (Received): 356

You better be hoping that guy in the Mercedes is drunk...

trinityboy, Stopfordian Dreamer liked this post

Last edited by guy debord; May 31st, 2017 at 01:14 AM.
guy debord no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #442
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1275

New news? Interesting all the same:

Quote:
British Cycling asks Team Sky to quit their shared Manchester velodrome.

British Cycling is poised to sever its last remaining physical ties with Team Sky by asking the professional squad to move out of the Manchester velodrome which they have used as a shared home for the past seven years.

Board members at British Cycling are understood to have pushed for a discernible split between the two organisations which have shared a base and personnel since Team Sky were founded in 2010. They believe it would be a significant move in the battle to restore British Cycling’s reputation, with an announcement expected early next week....
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ster-velodrome
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #443
matt1

Likes (Received): 9

Is there any plan to change or alter dangerous or impractical sections of the new oxford road route?

All of the side streets in rusholme invite conflict. Drivers assume they have right of way when turning from the main rd into the side road, and often the give way markings when entering oxford rd are ignored. (The turning into Walmer St E is particularly bad due to the placement of a high planter between the cycle lane and road reducing visibility to both parties)

Around Brighton grove (southbound) the kerb segregation comes in different widths and unnecessarily narrow the cycle lane - I imagine trikes or bikes with trailers could be severely slowed here.

The on pavement stretch around owens park (southbound) has always been poor and invites conflict between pedestrians and cyclists - I assumed this would've been changed with the new scheme. The section after this, off-pavement, but raised prevents exit of the lane which is a bit annoying when it generally guides you into a parked bus...

After this (southbound) I presume the funding ran out?
matt1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #444
paulw3726
Paulw3726

Likes (Received): 228

After all the money spent, unlikely there will be any further changes made unless collisions cause a rethink
paulw3726 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #445
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1275

Quote:
[B] 'Uber for bikes': Chinese firm eyes global dominion with launch in Manchester./b]

Mobike to open ‘dockless’ bike share scheme in Manchester with initial 1,000 bikes as Chinese companies take aggressive battle for market share to the west.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ina-global-ofo

nqtrammy, purple_cat liked this post
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #446
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 1403

A few pictures taken today

purple_cat, nqtrammy, scientist12 liked this post
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #447
paulw3726
Paulw3726

The Oxford Rd cycle paths look a bit underused in these photos!
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #448
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3016

They're busy down near the uni. Unfortunately the lane by where the precinct used to be is blocked until construction of the new shops is finished, so that may be a disincentive for those travelling further north.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:39 AM   #449
Maxants

Likes (Received): 349

Give it time also - the cycle super highways in east london were dead for the first 6 months - now they're really busy!
Maxants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:47 AM   #450
paulw3726
Paulw3726

Velocity 2025 | The General Greater Manchester Cycling Thread

Canal and river trust campaign to share canal towpaths- no one has right of way.
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about...s-for-everyone

Radio Manchester mentioned Timperley to Stretford as a cycle "motorway" . The Bridgewater belongs to Peel via Manchester Ship Canal Co not governed by C&R trust.
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:49 AM   #451
guy debord

The weather's finally decent, those old crappy 10 speed will be getting dusted off as we speak... It's like cycling through champagne out there
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:52 AM   #452
matt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw3726 View Post
Canal and river trust campaign to share canal towpaths- no one has right of way.
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about...s-for-everyone

Radio Manchester mentioned Timperley to Stretford as a cycle "motorway" . The Bridgewater belongs to Peel via Manchester Ship Canal Co not governed by C&R trust.
There's a real problem between altrincham and stretford (at least) with speed along the canal. The path is just too narrow for speeds in excess of 20mph.

I don't see it improving without a reasonable alternative route. I'd class myself as a confident cyclist, covering thousands of KMs a year often on poor roads, but I wouldn't consider the A56 to be a safe option at all. It's a road with a huge amount of space, with none of it given over to cycling.

PotreroHill, Neil DG liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:10 PM   #453
guy debord

I love cycling. But I drive – because I fear for my life

Helen Pidd

While my London friends upgrade their carbon frames, my Manchester pals splurge on personalised number plates. Is it any wonder, when bike schemes up north seem designed to wipe us all out?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ar-for-my-life
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:34 PM   #454
Neil DG

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
There's a real problem between altrincham and stretford (at least) with speed along the canal. The path is just too narrow for speeds in excess of 20mph.

I don't see it improving without a reasonable alternative route. I'd class myself as a confident cyclist, covering thousands of KMs a year often on poor roads, but I wouldn't consider the A56 to be a safe option at all. It's a road with a huge amount of space, with none of it given over to cycling.
I often walk my dog in the morning on sections of the canal between the Mersey south of Stretford to the World Freight Centre, as well as the branch from Watersmeet to at least Kelloggs.

It's an absolute nightmare during morning peak times (which can be from 7am) with way too many bikes going way too fast and often with little consideration for this being a shared path (and I say this as a cyclist).

There's nowhere near enough capacity and it really feels like Trafford Council did a handy bit of sleight of hand to avoid building proper safe bike routes.
Neil DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #455
matt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil DG View Post
I often walk my dog in the morning on sections of the canal between the Mersey south of Stretford to the World Freight Centre, as well as the branch from Watersmeet to at least Kelloggs.

It's an absolute nightmare during morning peak times (which can be from 7am) with way too many bikes going way too fast and often with little consideration for this being a shared path (and I say this as a cyclist).

There's nowhere near enough capacity and it really feels like Trafford Council did a handy bit of sleight of hand to avoid building proper safe bike routes.

Definitely, and it's a shame.

The canal is a really good resource, but it's much better suited to recreation than commuting, it's perfect for social rides at 8 - 15mph

I find the winter is the worst, people have ridiculously high lumen rated lights pointing upward - completely blinding anyone in their path. I told one guy to either dip his light or use a lower setting and he just swore at me - really doesn't do much for the perception of cyclists.

As it stands there seem to be a lot of complaints about inappropriate and dangerous cycling along the canal and there have been suggestions of further bollards or speed bumps.

Neil DG liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:42 PM   #456
guy debord

Quote:

The canal is a really good resource, but it's much better suited to recreation than commuting, it's perfect for social rides at 8 - 15mph

I find the winter is the worst, people have ridiculously high lumen rated lights pointing upward - completely blinding anyone in their path. I told one guy to either dip his light or use a lower setting and he just swore at me - really doesn't do much for the perception of cyclists.

As it stands there seem to be a lot of complaints about inappropriate and dangerous cycling along the canal and there have been suggestions of further bollards or speed bumps.
The problem here is that cyclists should be on the roads. Unfortunately the roads are dangerous as a result of dismal infrastructure and terrible driving standards.

Encouraging cyclists to use canal towpaths is no solution but it provides councils with a very cheap way of being able to say they're investing in cycling infrastructure.

There is a total reticence to give over road space to cyclists at the expense of motor vehicles, even motor vehicle parking.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:33 PM   #457
MancKnight

Likes (Received): 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy debord View Post
The problem here is that cyclists should be on the roads. Unfortunately the roads are dangerous as a result of dismal infrastructure and terrible driving standards.

Encouraging cyclists to use canal towpaths is no solution but it provides councils with a very cheap way of being able to say they're investing in cycling infrastructure.

There is a total reticence to give over road space to cyclists at the expense of motor vehicles, even motor vehicle parking.
Yeah I agree, as a cyclist who uses the towpath its the safest place for me to be but I definitely understand how it can be a nuisance for dogwalkers/people with children etc.

The issue is the awful provision for cyclists on UK roads which means we risk our lives using them. Hopefully Andy Burnham will fulfil the promises he made and improve this.

nqtrammy liked this post
MancKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:58 PM   #458
Neil DG

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:

Yes. It's definitely noticeable the difference at the weekend when it's mostly leisure cyclists who are (mostly) not in a tearing rush and much more likely to actually acknowledge the fact that you've got out of their way in plenty of time.
Neil DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #459
matt1

Mobike to launch this Thursday.

The app is currently live - £29 refundable deposit then 50p per 30 mins riding.

http://mobike.com/sg/

VDB liked this post
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #460
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Mobike to launch this Thursday.

The app is currently live - £29 refundable deposit then 50p per 30 mins riding.

http://mobike.com/sg/
This is going to have a huge impact.

On another note - the bike lanes down Oxford Road seemed quite busy around Rusholme today. There were at least 10/11 riders in every bunch of cyclists.

nqtrammy, VDB liked this post
Steel City Suburb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: