search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #21
koolkid

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acryle View Post
I can say the same about US, is there anything else besides NYC and LA? At least I'm unaware of. In case of UK I can name only London, Same for France and Germany.

It more has to do with my and your ignorance.

From architectural perspectives in Russia you have to look at historical cities like Kazan, Nizhniy Novgorod and so. Or disneyland-like Yoshkar-Ola.

Novosibirsk - the third largest Russian city now, is little more than 100 years old. It definitely lacks in architecture as it is 90% Soviet provincial creature as it was 9th (!) in Soviet Union by the time of its collapse. Almost same story with Ekaterinburg, - the 4th in Russia and 10th in SU, - except it existed before like some provincial village in the Russian Empire with up to 40 000 residents by the time of the Civil War.

None of this (Bar Yoshka) are lacking from cultural perspective, at least within Russia. Neither both lacks in economy, sough there is more prosperous cities and towns in North-West Siberia, some of which were founded in 1960-80 (!).

Also, you have to remember, that past 400 years or so (longer than US existed, including colonial period) Russia was developing in broader perspectives with inclusion of the cities like Minsk, Kiev, Tbilisi and so on. If tomorrow California will split with US what will be the second largest city in this California-lees US? Can you name it without googling?
The United States has probably developed the most premier cities of any country in the world. There's definitely more than just LA and New York.

San Francisco and silicon valley are a hub of constant innovation, making huge contributions to technology and the way we live our lives. Chicago, our third largest city is a major global financial center. The city that pioneered the first modern skyscraper and developed the internationally renown Chicago school of architecture. Then there's Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, all major cities that are major economic centers and among the richest cities in the world. Smaller significant cities include Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Baltimore, Richmond, Savannah, Portland, San Diego.

If California separated itself from the United States, we would still have plenty of very large and significant cities to enjoy. Chicago would become the second largest city as it use to be.

Europe is quite different. Overall, the countries in Europe such as Britain, France, Germany etc. are much smaller individually than USA and Russia. As a result there is usually just one major premier city per country (London, Paris, Vienna etc). And yet there are tons of smaller cities that are architecturally, culturally and economically significant. The result of centuries of development.(Manchester, Glasgow, Marseilles, Florence, Barcelona, Lisbon, Berlin etc.) Drop these cities anywhere in the world and they would be an instant hit, in Russia or the USA.

Concerning the cities that were once under Russian domain like Tbilisi and Kiev, would it really be fair to take credit for their development? Considering they are in countries that are distinct from Russia, socially and culturally. Tbilisi for example, looks nothing like a Russian city and instead has an architectural style much more akin to that of Europe.

I'm not trying to knock on Russia. Simply that, considering the size and history, developing for centuries before America, one expects Russia to possess much more larger significantly impressive cities on the level of mainland Europe. It's just strange to me how that didn't pan out.

Last edited by koolkid; June 18th, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #22
alexey_volgograd

Likes (Received): 61

"Concerning the cities that were once under Russian domain like Tbilisi and Kiev, would it really be fair to take credit for their development? Considering they are in countries that are distinct from Russia, socially and culturally. Tbilisi for example, looks nothing like a Russian city and instead has an architectural style much more akin to that of Europe."
OMG dude just stop please do not type about something you seem to have no clue about
alexey_volgograd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #23
VIRTES-DOC

Likes (Received): 4120

I am from Russia and we have a really bad architecture. This is due to the fact that in some regions Soviet standard building is still being built. There is also such a fact as the greed of the developer, many developers order good projects for attracting buyers and then in the process of construction they use the cheapest materials, simplify complex architectural elements. All this is done in order to simply earn as much money as possible by spending a minimum of funds. But we can not help saying that recently in our country good and stylish buildings began to appear, which indicates the alienation from Soviet architecture.

bus driver, Promotheus liked this post
VIRTES-DOC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #24
BatonMedved

Likes (Received): 748

Fine architecture has a noticeable cost behind it. I mean not in terms of income, but generally in terms of GDP per capita - if your labour in a specific land costs more, you can be more picky and avoid buying a shitbox. But thanks to putin and his gmen who seized all the wealth a vast lump of citizens here can bargain only an utterly affordable housing you mentioned in your post.

If one Googles elite options in Russia (200+k USD), he will discover exemplary structures in fact:
Garden District
House at Mosfilmovskaya
Art Residence
Mon Cher
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #25
koolkid

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey_volgograd View Post
"Concerning the cities that were once under Russian domain like Tbilisi and Kiev, would it really be fair to take credit for their development? Considering they are in countries that are distinct from Russia, socially and culturally. Tbilisi for example, looks nothing like a Russian city and instead has an architectural style much more akin to that of Europe."
OMG dude just stop please do not type about something you seem to have no clue about
Tbilisi was well established with centuries of development before the Russian occupation. Centuries with many different powers inserting bits of influence here and there. Which explains why the city is much more architecturally varied, historic, and complex than your typical Russian city.

For comparison, we look to Manila in the Philippines. America definitely played a major role in influencing Manila's development but the city already had established centuries of culture, architecture, customs and society well before we arrived. We simply added to what was already there. It would be unfair to take full credit for what the city is today.

Calling Tbilisi a Russian city seems quite desperate.

Last edited by koolkid; June 20th, 2017 at 12:03 AM.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:58 PM   #26
spidey7312
Pro Web Slinger

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
I can say the same about US, is there anything else besides NYC and LA? At least I'm unaware of. In case of UK I can name only London, Same for France and Germany.

It more has to do with my and your ignorance.

From architectural perspectives in Russia you have to look at historical cities like Kazan, Nizhniy Novgorod and so. Or disneyland-like Yoshkar-Ola.

Novosibirsk - the third largest Russian city now, is little more than 100 years old. It definitely lacks in architecture as it is 90% Soviet provincial creature as it was 9th (!) in Soviet Union by the time of its collapse. Almost same story with Ekaterinburg, - the 4th in Russia and 10th in SU, - except it existed before like some provincial village in the Russian Empire with up to 40 000 residents by the time of the Civil War.

None of this (Bar Yoshka) are lacking from cultural perspective, at least within Russia. Neither both lacks in economy, sough there is more prosperous cities and towns in North-West Siberia, some of which were founded in 1960-80 (!).

Also, you have to remember, that past 400 years or so (longer than US existed, including colonial period) Russia was developing in broader perspectives with inclusion of the cities like Minsk, Kiev, Tbilisi and so on. If tomorrow California will split with US what will be the second largest city in this California-lees US? Can you name it without googling?
How have you not even heard of Chicago?

Camden NJ, Charleston WV, Chicago IL, Cincinnati OH, Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Harrisburg PA, Indianapolis IN, Norfolk VA, Philadelphia PA, Pittsburgh PA, Richmond VA
spidey7312 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #27
alexey_volgograd

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Tbilisi was well established with centuries of development before the Russian occupation. Centuries with many different powers inserting bits of influence here and there. Which explains why the city is much more architecturally varied, historic, and complex than your typical Russian city.

For comparison, we look to Manila in the Philippines. America definitely played a major role in influencing Manila's development but the city already had established centuries of culture, architecture, customs and society well before we arrived. We simply added to what was already there. It would be unfair to take full credit for what the city is today.

Calling Tbilisi a Russian city seems quite desperate.
lol first of all i do not call Tbilisi a Russian city, though Kiev architecturally is, and ethnically it also used to have a Russian majority before the Bolshevick revolution, it was even one of the main centers of Russian nationalism in the Russian Empire
Secondly, why do you even bring Tbilisi to the discussion, it was far from being a "prime city" back in the Russian empire, its not a world prime city nowadays and i seriously doubt it will be one day
The prime cities of the Russian empire were Saint-Petersburg, Moscow, Warsaw, Kiev, Odessa and Riga. All of them are world level architectural masterpieces when it comes to historic centers of the late XIX/early XX centuries (well except Warsaw which was almost completely destroyed in the WWII). In the Transcaucasia region Baku was well above Tiflis (Tbilisi) already at the beginning of the XXth century, nowadays they are not even close
Thirdly, Russians are European people, Russia is an european state, everything built in Russia is European by default, so claiming Tbilisi to have more European architecture is factually wrong at best, schizophrenic at worst
and finally almost everything historic which in modern Tbilisi resembles European architecture was of course built during the time of the reign of the Russian Empire over the city, and Tiflis back then had a sizable Russian minority anyway
Overall you disgusting Russophobia is very apparent for me and does not do you any credit
cheers

Gulliver1.93m liked this post
alexey_volgograd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #28
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 9736

There's an entire architecture section just around the corner: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tower View Post
This one is not a commieblock at all, and it quite good. The ones in the other pic are indeed contemporary commieblocks, but I don't see them in such a negative light. They're just a reflection of the investment made. The people in them would never afford buying into the nice block I've quoted, and as a social class they're a majority. As for the towers in the Moscow CBD, I don't think they are bad at all. They may not be among my favourites, but the standard is very decent. The one way you could maybe reformulate the question is how come Moscow did not get one piece of iconic starchitecture. But that's surely debatable.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM   #29
Acryle

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
How have you not even heard of Chicago?
Ah, the place with gangsters with Tommy Guns?
I'm sure you have heard about bears on unicycles around Novosibirsk

Quote:
San Francisco and silicon valley are a hub of constant innovation, making huge contributions to technology and the way we live our lives. Chicago, our third largest city is a major global financial center. The city that pioneered the first modern skyscraper and developed the internationally renown Chicago school of architecture. Then there's Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, all major cities that are major economic centers and among the richest cities in the world. Smaller significant cities include Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Baltimore, Richmond, Savannah, Portland, San Diego.

If California separated itself from the United States, we would still have plenty of very large and significant cities to enjoy. Chicago would become the second largest city as it use to be.
Apart from Chicago, didn't heard anything about this cities. This doesn't mean they do not exists, but they barely makes name outside the US.

And let's take more fare comparison: what would be the largest US cities if top 10 (and another five Maines-like) US states would secede?

Quote:
Concerning the cities that were once under Russian domain like Tbilisi and Kiev, would it really be fair to take credit for their development? Considering they are in countries that are distinct from Russia, socially and culturally. Tbilisi for example, looks nothing like a Russian city and instead has an architectural style much more akin to that of Europe.
Very strange assertions, to say the least. It was addressed by Alex above but I'll add some more info.

Whatever European is in Tbilisi was build under Russian Empire and looks the same as in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan, and many southern Russian cities and towns, established under Empire, in their historical parts.

Kiev, from its 1500 years of history, wasn't a part of Russia for around 350 years (probably a hundred more if you count its earliest period when it belonged to Khazars). I'am sure one thousand years is enough to lave a trace or two. Same with Minsk, except damage from WW2 was higher.

And may I ask you, how do you perceive 'Russian-stile'? And how it is different from 'European-stile' in its historical form?
Acryle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 AM   #30
Promotheus

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
The United States has probably developed the most premier cities of any country in the world. There's definitely more than just LA and New York.
Maybe 100 or 50 years ago?? Europe and China have transformed their cities into more sustainable living places while U.S cities are stuck with old and broke-down infrastructure. Come on even Moscow infrastructure (mostly metro) is being much more modern and efficient than in New York.
Promotheus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM   #31
Bronxwood

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Ah, the place with gangsters with Tommy Guns?
I'm sure you have heard about bears on unicycles around Novosibirsk

Apart from Chicago, didn't heard anything about this cities. This doesn't mean they do not exists, but they barely makes name outside the US.
I can understand cities like Boston, Philadelphia and Seattle not being known much in Russia... but you never heard of San Francisco (Silicon Valley) or Miami? Are you living under a rock? Together with New York, Miami is a hotspot for the Russian community in USA.
Bronxwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #32
Acryle

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
I can understand cities like Boston, Philadelphia and Seattle not being known much in Russia... but you never heard of San Francisco (Silicon Valley) or Miami? Are you living under a rock? Together with New York, Miami is a hotspot for the Russian community in USA.
If I'll scratch my memory, I could even recall capitals of Canada and Australia correctly. I'm talking about broad recognition.

While I can recollect sceneries of NY and LA, I have heard of Miami only thanks to Dexter and Miami Vice without clear image. Never watched the Vice but It was quite viral in early 90s, probably this is why Miami became hotspot, the Russians simple didn't know other US cities besides NY and Miami.

But than again, you probably have heard of Sochi and Vladivostok in the same manner and may recall another city or two in Russia if you try.
Acryle no está en línea   Reply With Quote