search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #20561
damyra

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramanianC View Post

This station is my favorite in Phase I. Everything is perfect - welcoming entrance, well designed signs, perfectly designed pedestrian facilities. Of all the phase I stations I hope CMRL uses this one as their starting point when thinking about how to make Phase II stations better.
damyra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #20562
riva.tholoor.philip

Likes (Received): 994

I have 2 suggestions for Chennai-Metro:

1) Inclusion of Velachery-Puzhathivakkam-Adambakkam-St Thomas Mount corridor of MRTS with Chennai Metro. Merge this with Green Line.

2) Convert Velachery-Taramani-Tidel Park/Thiruvanmiyur stretch of MRTS as part of Metro. Merge this with Green Line.

(This Green Line will be: Chennai Central - Egmore - Kilpauk - Anna Nagar - Tirumangalam- Koyambedu - CMBT - Vadapalani - Ashoknagar - Ekkattuthangal - Alandur - St Thomas Mount - Adambakkam - Puzhathivakkam - Velachery - Perungudi - Tharamani - Tidel Park/Thiruvanmiyur)

3) Keep MRTS Service only in Chennai Beach-Chintadripet-Thirumayilai-Tidel Park/Thiruvanmiyur

4) Refer the below link: Change the alignment of Corridor 3 via OMR instead of ECR. Metro Rail via ECR is utter-waste as there is no huge traffic in this area compare to OMR.

New Alignment: Madhavaram - Moolakadai - Perambur - Purasawalkam - Kilpauk - Chetpet - Nungambakkam - Gemini - Luz - Mandaveli - RA puram - Adyar - Madhyakailas Temple - Tidel Park- SRP Tools - Kandanchavady - Perungudi - Thoraipakkam - Karapakkam - Sholinganallur - Semmanchery - Navalur - Siruseri - Siruseri Sipkot - Padur - Kelampakkam

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...t-1604880.html

Last edited by riva.tholoor.philip; June 19th, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
riva.tholoor.philip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #20563
damyra

MRTS is broad gauge. Green line is Standard gauge. The two tracks won't ever be merged. The MRTS line already meets the green line at St. Thomas Mount. The tracks are literally aligned one on top of the other. If you want to go from Koyambedu to Thiruvanmiyur, take Green line to STM, get off the green line, go downstairs, get on MRTS and take that to Thiruvanmiyur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riva.tholoor.philip View Post

2) Convert Velachery-Taramani-Tidel Park/Thiruvanmiyur stretch of MRTS as part of Metro. Merge this with Green Line.

(This Green Line will be: Chennai Central - Egmore - Kilpauk - Anna Nagar - Tirumangalam- Koyambedu - CMBT - Vadapalani - Ashoknagar - Ekkattuthangal - Alandur - St Thomas Mount - Adambakkam - Puzhathivakkam - Velachery - Perungudi - Tharamani - Tidel Park/Thiruvanmiyur)

riva.tholoor.philip liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #20564
venkatm

Likes (Received): 1342

Once CMRL takes over MRTS, at some point in future, MRTS BG tracks maybe converted to SG. It won't cost much and it will also speed up MRTS. The ballasted section in phase 1 is very slow and coaches shreak. The conversion plus station modernization can surely be completed in a 1 year timeframe if there's a will.

riva.tholoor.philip liked this post
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #20565
damyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatm View Post
Once CMRL takes over MRTS, at some point in future, MRTS BG tracks maybe converted to SG. It won't cost much and it will also speed up MRTS. The ballasted section in phase 1 is very slow and coaches shreak. The conversion plus station modernization can surely be completed in a 1 year timeframe if there's a will.
It's not that easy! Platforms will no longer line up with the train if you simply narrow the gauge down. All stations will need to be updated. Additionally, the tracks are on an elevated viaduct. It's not a 1800s era steam engine track that is laid on wooden sleepers where you simply nail the track into place somewhere else. The concrete of the viaduct will only accept the track at certain points (in this case, that corresponds to a broad gauge track).

Lastly, even if you "could" make the change, you would essentially be going through a major infrastructure project that doesn't increase the capacity of the system at all. Nobody will fund such a project.

arshyamAgain liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #20566
riva.tholoor.philip

But what is the stupid logic of developing Metro in ECR instead of heavily-traffic OMR?

Who is planning this?

If it is running through OMR I am sure, it would get a great patronage (may be 150-200% - full capacity sitting and that much people standing).

People go to ECR only for entertainment/resorts/weekends. No need for metro there as of now.

I feel, Chennaiyans should start a mass movement to develop next phase of metro from Adyar to Siruseri Sipcot/Kelampakkam via Tidel Park, Thoraipakkam, Sholinganallur instead of ECR.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #20567
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 3460

it is through omr only why all of a sudden you raise these ? you did't go through this thread
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #20568
riva.tholoor.philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by natarajan1986 View Post

it is through omr only why all of a sudden you raise these ? you did't go through this thread
Refer this link and map:

Metro line passes through ECR.

Old June 20th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #20569
saurabh85

Likes (Received): 242

Comparing ticket prices with other cities is meaningless unless the operating costs and the construction costs are the same.
saurabh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:47 AM   #20570
me-my-madras

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Refer this link and map:

There was a latest news and image last week in Hindu showing alignment through OMR.
That was discussed at length in this thread too. Please go back a few pages and see.
me-my-madras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:54 AM   #20571
balakannan_87

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
I have 2 suggestions for Chennai-Metro:

1) Inclusion of Velachery-Puzhathivakkam-Adambakkam-St Thomas Mount corridor of MRTS with Chennai Metro. Merge this with Green Line.

3) Keep MRTS Service only in Chennai Beach-Chintadripet-Thirumayilai-Tidel Park/Thiruvanmiyur

4) Refer the below link: Change the alignment of Corridor 3 via OMR instead of ECR. Metro Rail via ECR is utter-waste as there is no huge traffic in this area compare to OMR.

New Alignment: Madhavaram - Moolakadai - Perambur - Purasawalkam - Kilpauk - Chetpet - Nungambakkam - Gemini - Luz - Mandaveli - RA puram - Adyar - Madhyakailas Temple - Tidel Park- SRP Tools - Kandanchavady - Perungudi - Thoraipakkam - Karapakkam - Sholinganallur - Semmanchery - Navalur - Siruseri - Siruseri Sipkot - Padur - Kelampakkam

dear,
when referred places "Tidel Park- SRP Tools - Kandanchavady - Perungudi - Thoraipakkam - Karapakkam - Sholinganallur - Semmanchery - Navalur - Siruseri - Siruseri Sipkot - Padur - Kelampakkam" came in ECR? its already in OMR. OMR is from madhya kailash to mahabalipuram crossing abvove places, thirupporur etc
balakannan_87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #20572
ferrari_fan
Forza!

Likes (Received): 559

@SubramanianC: Thanks for the pics on previous page!!
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #20573
riva.tholoor.philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by balakannan_87 View Post
dear,
when referred places "Tidel Park- SRP Tools - Kandanchavady - Perungudi - Thoraipakkam - Karapakkam - Sholinganallur - Semmanchery - Navalur - Siruseri - Siruseri Sipkot - Padur - Kelampakkam" came in ECR? its already in OMR. OMR is from madhya kailash to mahabalipuram crossing abvove places, thirupporur etc
I suggested like this. In the link I provided, it is ECR. In the map (Blue Line), it passes through: Adyar - Adyar Depot - Jayanthi Cinema -
Thiruvanmiyur - Kottivakkam - Palavakkam - Neelankarai - Injambakkam - Sholinganallur.

That is why I raised this and suggested below path:
Adyar - Kasturibhai Nagar/Madhya Kailas-Indiranagar-Tiruvanmiyur Tidel Park - SRP Tools - Kandanchavady - Perungudi East (as Perungudi/Perungudi West is in MRTS, I named this station as Perungudi East) - Thoraipakkam - Okkiyam - Karapakkam - Sholinganallur - Semmencherry - Navallur - Siruseri - Siruseri Sipcot - Padur - Kelampakkam.

This Metro Line can use the MRTS stretch from Kasturibhai Nagar to Tiruvanmiyur Tidel Park.

From Tidel Park it can bifurcate, one section goes to Tharamani/Velachery/St Thomas Mount through existing MRTS and other section goes to SRP Tools/Thoraipakkam/Sholinganallur/Siruseri/Kelampakkam.

(Advantage: No Land Acquisition Headache from Kasturibhai Nagar to Tidel Park).

If the construct Metro through ECR, Adyar - Adyar Dept - Jayanthi Cinema - Thiruvanmiyur Bus-Stand - Kottivakkam - Palavakkam - Neelankarai - Injambakkam - Sholinganallur - Semmencherry - Navallur - Siruseri - Siruseri Sipcot corridor, then this line will be a flop and incur huge loss.

Last edited by riva.tholoor.philip; June 20th, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old June 20th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #20574
MA Eswaran

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Refer this link and map:

I think you are not updated.

You are referring to the old news and old newspaper link.

Metro is now via OMR, see the THE HINDU coverage and link given in the previous page/messages

See# 20461
MA Eswaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #20575
riva.tholoor.philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Eswaran View Post
I think you are not updated.

You are referring to the old news and old newspaper link.

Metro is now via OMR, see the THE HINDU coverage and link given in the previous page/messages

See# 20461
Then it will be great
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #20576
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh85 View Post
Comparing ticket prices with other cities is meaningless unless the operating costs and the construction costs are the same.
patronage has to be increased even if it runs with less passenger it will be a loss .Huge patronage with normal fare will bring profit compared to huge fare with less partronage. Also Ad revenue,commercial exploitation,ads over train (not all metros in india have) .Also in phase 2 hope cmrl goes with third rail instead of OHC
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:51 AM   #20577
me-my-madras

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
patronage has to be increased even if it runs with less passenger it will be a loss .Huge patronage with normal fare will bring profit compared to huge fare with less partronage. Also Ad revenue,commercial exploitation,ads over train (not all metros in india have) .Also in phase 2 hope cmrl goes with third rail instead of OHC
With Platform screen doors in UG, 3rd rail is not risky too
me-my-madras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #20578
venkatm

Likes (Received): 1342

they cannot switch to 3rd rail now. Will not be able to use existing rakes.
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #20579
SubramanianC

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
The patronage can be increased only by reducing the fares. What is the use of investing in such a huge infrastructure when there is less patronage?? For instance, the fare from Mount to Alandur is Rs 10 but upto Ekkatuthangal it is Rs 20. With just two stations, this fare is high...The minimum fare of Rs 10 is fine, but it should be applicable for atleast 3 stations..Also the first class compartment is total waste and not occupied most of the time..
SubramanianC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #20580
MA Eswaran

Likes (Received): 881

When circuit is completed and thrown into operation, more patronage will automatically come.

We can keep less fare but to increase after few years it becomes herculean task because of vote bank politics. Calcutta Trams collapsed due to this poor fare politics.

When central and Egmore are connected and when OMR is covered, Metro will be hugely popular irrespective of fares. AC buses in OMR are most sought after despite higher fares.

Bottom line is CMRL should not become sick unit after some time and it should stand on its own for giving better services

damyra liked this post
MA Eswaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote