search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2017, 03:49 AM   #1321
knope2001

Likes (Received): 320

June MKE traffic stats may see a nice little bump from US Open traffic. I did bookings for Mitchell departures for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to see how many flights were sold out or virtually sold out*.

(*Virtually sold out means at least one seat was available for sale, but if you tried to book the maximum number of seats allowed by the airline website -- typically about seven -- the flight was not available. Given that airlines generally overbook if there are only a few seats for sale the flight is virtually at capacity.)

Sunday
71.8% sold out/nearly sold out

Monday
90.4% sold out/nearly sold out

Tuesday
40.5% sold out/nearly sold out

Monday is of course the big getaway day. Only 11 flights all day are not sold out/virtually sold out:

4 MSP
2 BOS
1 MCO
1 TPA
1 LAS
1 LAX
1 SFO

These flights could still be booked over 90% and still show up, but we've no way to know.

Summer is of course a heavy travel period at Mitchell already, but this is a nice bump.

MKE-bound liked this post
knope2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #1322
phxtravelboy

Likes (Received): 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by knope2001 View Post
June MKE traffic stats may see a nice little bump from US Open traffic. I did bookings for Mitchell departures for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to see how many flights were sold out or virtually sold out*.

(*Virtually sold out means at least one seat was available for sale, but if you tried to book the maximum number of seats allowed by the airline website -- typically about seven -- the flight was not available. Given that airlines generally overbook if there are only a few seats for sale the flight is virtually at capacity.)

Sunday
71.8% sold out/nearly sold out

Monday
90.4% sold out/nearly sold out

Tuesday
40.5% sold out/nearly sold out

Monday is of course the big getaway day. Only 11 flights all day are not sold out/virtually sold out:

4 MSP
2 BOS
1 MCO
1 TPA
1 LAS
1 LAX
1 SFO

These flights could still be booked over 90% and still show up, but we've no way to know.

Summer is of course a heavy travel period at Mitchell already, but this is a nice bump.
Yes, I work in corporate travel and I was looking at the availability of flights for Monday, on Friday, when I was working, and yes, almost every flight was sold out or VERY close to sold out. Monday will be a very busy day at Mitchell which is excellent. I'll be curious to see just how much of a bump the Open gives to Mitchell.

Also, I was looking at hotels in MKE and it was truly appalling how the hotels were gauging this weekend. I'm talking $3000 per night and up. This was even at your lower tier hotels. I really detest when the hotels pull this crap during big events like the SB, NCAA games, etc.
phxtravelboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #1323
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxtravelboy View Post
Yes, I work in corporate travel and I was looking at the availability of flights for Monday, on Friday, when I was working, and yes, almost every flight was sold out or VERY close to sold out. Monday will be a very busy day at Mitchell which is excellent. I'll be curious to see just how much of a bump the Open gives to Mitchell.

Also, I was looking at hotels in MKE and it was truly appalling how the hotels were gauging this weekend. I'm talking $3000 per night and up. This was even at your lower tier hotels. I really detest when the hotels pull this crap during big events like the SB, NCAA games, etc.
Which hotel was charging $3000+? And who would pay that!?

Most of my guests are departing this AM. We only charged anywhere from $225-329/night.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #1324
Id.Wi.

Likes (Received): 299

Can Mitchell simultaneously land more than one plane? I don't know if there is even enough traffic to warrant it but I would think for future growth and hopes of international flights it would be important to be able to land more than one plane at a time
Id.Wi. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #1325
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id.Wi. View Post
Can Mitchell simultaneously land more than one plane? I don't know if there is even enough traffic to warrant it but I would think for future growth and hopes of international flights it would be important to be able to land more than one plane at a time
I don't think so. I believe the only two runways capable of handling commercial aircraft cross one another.

phxtravelboy liked this post
MKE-bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #1326
MKEEASTSIDER

Likes (Received): 252

In terms of growth that shouldn't be a huge issue though. I believe LaGuardia can only have planes take off / land on one runway at a time and they handle close to 30M passengers per year.... although as someone who has been delayed numerous times there it does pose an issue whenever there is inclement weather or other irregular operations.

There have been more than a few times where when we are taxing out to take off you are in a line of ~20 planes all waiting for their turn to use the runway.

MKEEASTSIDER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #1327
phxtravelboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Which hotel was charging $3000+? And who would pay that!?

Most of my guests are departing this AM. We only charged anywhere from $225-329/night.
$3000 was on the LOW end. I'm talking your Holiday Inns, Howard Johnson type of hotels. Certainly not anything remotely close to an upper tier brand. The hotels gauge because they know they can; simple supply/huge demand for that time.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #1328
phxtravelboy

Quote:
In terms of commercial traffic, no. There are a couple of runways that are parallel to the main runways the commercial traffic uses, but those runways are very short. Plus there isn't enough seperation between those runways to allow for simultaneous landings. MKE's traffic volume now doesn't require the capability for simultaneous landings/take offs anyway.
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #1329
mkebrewers9

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
$3000 was on the LOW end. I'm talking your Holiday Inns, Howard Johnson type of hotels. Certainly not anything remotely close to an upper tier brand. The hotels gauge because they know they can; simple supply/huge demand for that time.
A week? I certainly don't know alot about the hotel industry, but I thought there were daily maximums set by the city to prevent this. I am 100% sure a Howard Johnson wasn't going for $3000 a night, at least legally. Even if they were advertising that, no one in there right mind would even consider paying that. All rooms have the max price listed on the back of the door, No?

brewcityfan liked this post
mkebrewers9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #1330
phxtravelboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkebrewers9 View Post
A week? I certainly don't know alot about the hotel industry, but I thought there were daily maximums set by the city to prevent this. I am 100% sure a Howard Johnson wasn't going for $3000 a night, at least legally. Even if they were advertising that, no one in there right mind would even consider paying that. All rooms have the max price listed on the back of the door, No?
No, not per week, per night. There are no such daily limits set by any cities on hotel rates I am aware of; I've worked in corporate travel for over 20 years so far and I've never heard of anything like that. How could there be? It's a free country so any vendor can charge what they want for their services. I can't even remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that had the max price listed on the back of the door.... This is no different than a city hosting a SB and having the hotels jack the prices up too. Again, supply and demand drives the market prices.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #1331
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1129

Quote:
No, not per week, per night. There are no such daily limits set by any cities on hotel rates I am aware of; I've worked in corporate travel for over 20 years so far and I've never heard of anything like that. How could there be? It's a free country so any vendor can charge what they want for their services. I can't even remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that had the max price listed on the back of the door.... This is no different than a city hosting a SB and having the hotels jack the prices up too. Again, supply and demand drives the market prices.
Agreed. We see the same discipline in parking rates when major events come to town. Parking goes up five fold in many lots if they can get it. We just call it scalping and the same goes for concert tickets or sports events. Supply and demand is a very good thing for our economy.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #1332
mkebrewers9

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
There are no such daily limits set by any cities on hotel rates I am aware of; I've worked in corporate travel for over 20 years so far and I've never heard of anything like that. How could there be? .
Just for the record:

Wisconsin State Statue 97.638

Quote:
(1) Every hotelkeeper shall keep posted in a conspicuous place in each sleeping room in his or her hotel, in type not smaller than 12-point, the rates per day for each occupant.  Such rates shall not be changed until notice to that effect has been posted, in a similar manner, for 10 days previous to each change.  Any hotelkeeper who fails to have the rates so posted or who charges, collects or receives for the use of any room a sum different from the authorized charge shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $100.  A hotelkeeper may permit a room to be occupied at the rate of a lower priced room when all of the lower priced rooms are taken and until one of them becomes unoccupied.  Special rates may be made for the use of sleeping rooms, either by the week, month or for longer periods or for use by families or other collective groups.  The department or its representatives may enforce the posting of rates as provided in this subsection.
(2)(a) A hotelkeeper shall post, in each sleeping room in the hotel with a telephone, a notice of any fee imposed by the hotelkeeper for using the telephone.
(b) The notice required under par. (a) shall be all of the following:
1. In type not smaller than 12-point.
2. Conspicuously posted on the telephone or within 3 feet of the telephone's normal location.
(c) The department or its agents may inspect hotels to ensure compliance with pars. (a) and (b).
(d) A hotelkeeper who fails to post the notice required under par. (a) or who posts an inaccurate notice shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $100.
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tes/97/III/638

I presume such laws would be enacted to prevent or make price gouging more difficult. Also here's an article I saw last week from TMJ4. They list the highest weekly rate being the Brewhouse Inn at $5,441, or about $800/night. http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/...-at-erin-hills

Note: I'm not trying to argue or call you a liar. I'm just suggesting that a Howard Johnson listed for $3,000/night was probably a typo not an actual rate. I looked on hotels.com last week because I was curious and saw nothing even close to that price downtown for Sunday night.

Last edited by mkebrewers9; June 20th, 2017 at 02:18 AM.
mkebrewers9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #1333
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
My apologies, but working in the industry and having to keep tabs on the rates, I have to flatly disagree. We were all hands on deck this weekend, and while the rates were higher prior to the Open ($279-400ish/night), by the time the weekend hit any hotels with availability dropped the rates. I know most hotels in Brookfield were rocking anywhere from $179-249/night, and Sunday was pretty much a normal night again. $3000 for the whole week? I can see that number if a person was staying from Monday-Sunday, but a weekend jaunt? No sir, not happening. Even the downtown Hilton was doing 300s/night ($1500 for the weekend).

FWIW, the rates downtown for the Open were similar to what they were when the Cubbies and FIBs are in town.

mkebrewers9, MKERevival liked this post
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #1334
knope2001

Allegiant coming to MKE

Allegiant Air is finally coming to Milwaukee -- something which was a long time coming:

Orlando/Sanford Airport SFB

Fort Myers/Punta Gorda PGD

Tampa/St Petersburg Airport

Fort Lauderdale FLL

Phoenix/Mesa Airport IWA

Allegiant is not everyone's cup of tea, however:

1. Allegiant definitely stimulates markets and appeals to a segment which might well drive or not travel as far or often.

2. Allegiant brings new destinations / alternate airports. I think we're up to 44 nonstop destinations now.

3. They are likely to eventually add service over time to additional destinations not likely served by others. Places like Myrtle Beach, Austin, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Destin and New Orleans are all quite possible if you look at the sort of routes they serve from other markets in this part of the country.

4. It helps us keep up with approximate peer airports like Indianapolis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Omaha, etc. who have seen Allegiant expansion.

Sure, Allegiant isn't for everybody. And it's possible that (for example) that if Allegiant skims peak traffic by flying Milwaukee-Fort Lauderdale it will make the Milwaukee-South Florida market less attractive for somebody else to fly it year round. But success breeds success, and competition breeds more competition. For example after Allegiant added (seasonal, less-than-daily) New Orleans flights to Indianapolis, Columbus and PIttsburgh, Southwest added Saturday-only flights from New Orleans to those cities, too. Southwest even added oddball Saturday-only route Austin-Memphis when Allegiant started it.

For us to keep up with our approximate peer airports in the central US we need LCC service like this. It helps the airport to grow and not fall behind. So even though I am not too likely to ever step on an Allegiant flight myself, I think it's great news they are coming.

So I think this is a great development overall for MKE
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #1335
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 629

Quote:
Allegiant Air is finally coming to Milwaukee -- something which was a long time coming:

Fort Lauderdale FLL

Phoenix/Mesa Airport IWA

1. Allegiant definitely stimulates markets and appeals to a segment which might well drive or not travel as far or often.

2. Allegiant brings new destinations / alternate airports. I think we're up to 44 nonstop destinations now.

3. They are likely to eventually add service over time to additional destinations not likely served by others. Places like Myrtle Beach, Austin, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Destin and New Orleans are all quite possible if you look at the sort of routes they serve from other markets in this part of the country.

4. It helps us keep up with approximate peer airports like Indianapolis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Omaha, etc. who have seen Allegiant expansion.

Sure, Allegiant isn't for everybody. And it's possible that (for example) that if Allegiant skims peak traffic by flying Milwaukee-Fort Lauderdale it will make the Milwaukee-South Florida market less attractive for somebody else to fly it year round. But success breeds success, and competition breeds more competition. For example after Allegiant added (seasonal, less-than-daily) New Orleans flights to Indianapolis, Columbus and PIttsburgh, Southwest added Saturday-only flights from New Orleans to those cities, too. Southwest even added oddball Saturday-only route Austin-Memphis when Allegiant started it.

For us to keep up with our approximate peer airports in the central US we need LCC service like this. It helps the airport to grow and not fall behind. So even though I am not too likely to ever step on an Allegiant flight myself, I think it's great news they are coming.

I'm all for it. The more the merrier! We had G4 (Allegiant) at GSP when we lived there, and flew them to SFB (Orlando area's outlying Sanford airport). Although it was a fairly short flight, our experience was surprisingly positive. I'd fly them again. Bear in mind, this is NOT an airline to consider for a business trip, as there just aren't other flights that day to book you on in the case of irregular operations.
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:18 PM   #1336
JRMKE

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
FYI: San Diego (Lindbergh Field) only has one runway and they handle 3x the passengers we do in Milwaukee.
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #1337
JRMKE

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:

Fort Lauderdale FLL

Phoenix/Mesa Airport IWA

I tend to agree with everything you said!

I will never step foot on an Allegiant Airline: their safety record (FAA inspections) is deplorable, relative to the rest of domestic air carriers.

brewerfan386 liked this post
JRMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #1338
MKEEASTSIDER

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMKE View Post
I tend to agree with everything you said!

I will never step foot on an Allegiant Airline: their safety record (FAA inspections) is deplorable, relative to the rest of domestic air carriers.
Agree- I'm all for Allegiant coming to Milwaukee since for those who are price sensitive this will prompt them to fly from MKE vs going down to Chicago or Rockford for a cheaper flight but will never in good conscious recommend to my friends or family that they book a flight on Allegiant.

For those not familiar, here is the snip from their Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegi...afety_concerns

Quote:
Safety concerns[edit]
Allegiant Air has been closely monitored by the FAA due to many emergency landings and aborted takeoffs.[50] ABC interviewed a former Allegiant mechanic, who said "Dedicated steps were not being performed with maintenance manuals or even with general practices, before an aircraft is released.".[51] Many of these incidents have involved Allegiant's MD80 aircraft, which are expected to be replaced by Airbus A320 family aircraft. 46 of the 86 aircraft have made emergency landings, all of which were on MD-80's. [52] In March 2016 an Allegiant Air Airbus A320 was forced to make an emergency landing at Jacksonville.[53]

In May 2016, the FAA confirmed that Allegiant was under investigation.[54] On August 17, 2016, Allegiant Flight 436 aborted its take-off from McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas, Nevada due to an uncommanded early rotation at about 120 knots (220 km/h) indicated airspeed. An investigation by the FAA found that maintenance procedures had not been followed by Allegiant's maintenance provider, AAR Air Services Inc. This resulted in a nut becoming detached from an elevator boost cylinder. The aircraft had made 216 flights in an unairworthy condition. The FAA investigation revealed two similar occurrences. The FAA intend to prosecute over each offence.[55]

A November 2016 analysis by the Tampa Bay Times noted that Allegiant's planes were four times more likely to have in flight failures than other major US airlines.[56]

The result of the 2016 FAA audit was to give the airline a clean bill of health.
Interesting that Las Vegas was not one of their initial routes but I guess they didn't want to go head to head with Frontier or Southwest.
MKEEASTSIDER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #1339
knope2001

The initial schedule starts mid-November and has 2x/week toe ach market for 10 departures per week. Typically they have around 166 seats per plane so the capacity they are initially offering is similar to if somebody else added 2x/day 717, or 3x/dayE75, or 5x/day 50-seat RJs.So it willbe a very nice bump.Their schedule onlygoes out to February 13th at this point so we’ll see if they addcapacity for the spring break peak.

For those not familiar with Allegiant they do a great deal of seasonal shifting and are highly, highly focused on leisure travel. Their bread and butter for years was linkingsmaller markets like Appleton, Springfield, Fargo, Grand Island nonstop toVegas and/or Florida with less than daily nonstop flights.Low fares and an unusually high portion ofvacation package sales are the norm.Asthey have grown they have added more “vacation destinations” such as LA, MyrtleBeach, San Diego, Baltimore/Washington, and the “origins” have gottenlarger.In recent years they’ve addedplaces like Kansas City, Cincinnati, San Antonio, Omaha, Indianapolis,etc.So it’s high time forMilwaukee.

Allegiant is notorious about low airport costs and they havenot been shy about their demands. They famously moved from Green Bay to Appleton because Appleton offered lower costsand Green Bay wouldn’t play ball. Airports have a fine line to walk because if they give the farm away to a competitor,the incumbent airlines may push for a similar deal and/or disfavor theairport.Southwest was unhappy with ElPaso’s costs years back and as a result cut way back on the flights routed through ELP. So I’m glad that if there were issues at MKE, apparently they found a way to work things out.

knope2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #1340
phxtravelboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
My apologies, but working in the industry and having to keep tabs on the rates, I have to flatly disagree. We were all hands on deck this weekend, and while the rates were higher prior to the Open ($279-400ish/night), by the time the weekend hit any hotels with availability dropped the rates. I know most hotels in Brookfield were rocking anywhere from $179-249/night, and Sunday was pretty much a normal night again. $3000 for the whole week? I can see that number if a person was staying from Monday-Sunday, but a weekend jaunt? No sir, not happening. Even the downtown Hilton was doing 300s/night ($1500 for the weekend).

FWIW, the rates downtown for the Open were similar to what they were when the Cubbies and FIBs are in town.
All I can tell you is that when I looked on Friday at hotel availability in my system, the rates were showing for $3000 per night and up for the weekend. As we all know rates are extremely fluid and change all the time, but at least on Friday that is what they were showing.

Tags
air transportation, airport, harbor, milwaukee, port