search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #2641
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

Carmel grows again

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...Southwest-Clay
cailes no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2642
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1211

Just had to put in a quick plug for how excellent the refurbishment of the Old Centrum building is going. The century old building is being turned into the headquarters for Indiana Landmarks (including a beautiful 500+ seat auditorium for music and cultural events). I can see the four towers with their recently gilded golden points shining in the sunlight right now. The main domed structure housing the former sanctuary is looking so much better now too -- they are putting on the new roof covering that is replacing the former steel roof that had been badly rust stained. It was always an iconic structure that you could see as you passed by on I-65 north of downtown - although the rust always made it a little depressing. Now it is looking very beautiful and well maintained. I love those golden points on the various spires and turrets. Very nice -- and soon to be even better, once it is all finished!
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #2643
BosartBrown

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
But this is not to suggest that IPS is right to just come out and say they'll use eminent domain to take these 7 houses. I think it's really bad idea. As far as I know, they have not run a community-based discussion process to develop alternatives. (John and Bosart Brown could comment more directly on this.) That gives a whiff of "imperialism" on the part of the Superintendent and Hoosiers sure don't like that. They need to put the brakes on and find another way.
IPS has not had any community-based discussion at all. I found out about this in the newspaper just like everyone else. I also emailed the school board. After 3 days only 1 responded back to me. They're holding the vote tonight. Judging by the lack of communication from the board and the previous comments I've heard from them it will probably pass without any discussion of possible alternatives.
BosartBrown no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #2644
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Just had to put in a quick plug for how excellent the refurbishment of the Old Centrum building is going. The century old building is being turned into the headquarters for Indiana Landmarks (including a beautiful 500+ seat auditorium for music and cultural events). I can see the four towers with their recently gilded golden points shining in the sunlight right now. The main domed structure housing the former sanctuary is looking so much better now too -- they are putting on the new roof covering that is replacing the former steel roof that had been badly rust stained. It was always an iconic structure that you could see as you passed by on I-65 north of downtown - although the rust always made it a little depressing. Now it is looking very beautiful and well maintained. I love those golden points on the various spires and turrets. Very nice -- and soon to be even better, once it is all finished!
Word!
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #2645
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosartBrown View Post
IPS has not had any community-based discussion at all. I found out about this in the newspaper just like everyone else. I also emailed the school board. After 3 days only 1 responded back to me. They're holding the vote tonight. Judging by the lack of communication from the board and the previous comments I've heard from them it will probably pass without any discussion of possible alternatives.
That just plain sucks.

I have been known to ridicule the general sort of community planning exercises that look at a whole chunk of the city and present a utopian vision that will never happen. But for something like this at the micro level, an intensive community-planning process is really called for. Sadly, IPS has had a former DMD planner on its facilities payroll; it would be nice if they let him do what he's trained to do and work with the community.

Interestingly, IPS wouldn't be considered a "superior unit of government" to local zoning authority. Which means that if the property is currently zoned residential, redevelopment for parking could be prevented by zoning authorities. If IPS doesn't get the properties rezoned first, they could get waylaid by the zoning process.

(Strong hint to neighbors.)
cdc guy está en línea ahora  
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2646
cailes

Well, IPS voted to authorize the seizure of those properties. That didn't take long.

I took some photos this morning and posted them on my blog if anyone is interested in seeing the lay of the land. Pretty sad developing story going on here...
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2647
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 370

Quote:
That just plain sucks.

I have been known to ridicule the general sort of community planning exercises that look at a whole chunk of the city and present a utopian vision that will never happen. But for something like this at the micro level, an intensive community-planning process is really called for. Sadly, IPS has had a former DMD planner on its facilities payroll; it would be nice if they let him do what he's trained to do and work with the community.

Interestingly, IPS wouldn't be considered a "superior unit of government" to local zoning authority. Which means that if the property is currently zoned residential, redevelopment for parking could be prevented by zoning authorities. If IPS doesn't get the properties rezoned first, they could get waylaid by the zoning process.

(Strong hint to neighbors.)
Re: your second paragraph, I suspected as much. Could be interesting. This reminds me of the flap about the proposed Walgreens at 10th and Arlington, where the initial plan was to demolish a perfectly nice, occupied, and well-kept 1930s brick home, based on the BS notion that the Donato's lot plus the old MCL parking lot next door aren't big enough for a store. In a utopian world, the Donatos would be replaced by an urban-style mixed use project. That isn't going to happen. But can we at least stop suburbanization of the old city limits? The pre-WWII housing stock is one of the great assets of IPS territory. Knocking them down, when IPS owns so much unused land, including an empty school less than 10 blocks away, is madness and not in the long term interests of IPS.

This is reminiscent of Arenn's thoughts about how a city can't and shouldn't try to compete with suburbs on the suburbs' terms. This move suggests that IPS views the density of the neighborhood as an obstacle, when in reality it's an asset. Even with these 7 houses gone, School 58 still will be on a very small parcel compared to its suburban counterparts, but will have done great harm to the neighborhood. I know very little about school construction. But it would be interesting to know what schools in places like New York and Chicago, where land is prohibitively expensive, do in such circumstances.
JohnM Indy no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2648
cailes

John, I contend we could advocate for something like the Fresh Market in Broad Ripple if nothing else. Where they put parking on the roof of the new grocery store. They faced a similar issue of parking. If we are to believe what it costs to build, maintain and manage a parking lot anyway, then this is not really a bad compromise to mowing down a bunch of homes. They all appear in decent shape and that the owners take some pride. I was expecting to see some run down looking homes, but they are in nice shape through there. Such a shame to wipe that out.
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2649
libertybell-donna

Likes (Received): 0

So I have to organize a school/office supplies donation program for my kid's IPS school every semester, because they run out of money for pens, office paper, even toilet paper for godssake at the end of EVERY semester, but spending how much money to force people out of their homes is acceptable? WTF, IPS?!?

I love my kid's school, but this is ridiculous. And BTW, my kid gets off a school bus on the curb just like everyone else at his school, and when the teacher's parking lot is full they park on the neighborhood streets. I don't see what the 58 issue is.
libertybell-donna no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2650
cailes

The Uptown is apparently not dead yet.

http://www.ibj.com/developer-making-.../article/21355

Now there are some places that could be mowed down... good grief. LOL
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2651
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1403

Good Development News

The Crown Hill area gets some help:

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=12860442
cdc guy está en línea ahora  
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2652
cailes

Quote:

I imagine you had a little to do with this too huh?
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2653
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 23

Hey everyone. I'm pleased as punch to make this announcement. As I mentioned, if you get to the site via the blogspot address, that will no longer work after the new blog is launched.
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #2654
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanIndy View Post
Hey everyone. I'm pleased as punch to make this announcement. As I mentioned, if you get to the site via the blogspot address, that will no longer work after the new blog is launched.
Super excited about this development guys! This is gonna be an awesome info force!
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2655
ablerock

National Design Competition for the Indianapolis Art Center Gateway in Broad Ripple

http://indplsartcenterartists.blogsp...polis-art.html

The boundaries include College Avenue, so this has the potential to be something spectacular. Spread the word. This could help the city see the benefit of the design competition.

Old July 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #2656
cailes

Very interesting Matt. Thanks for the link! My wife works there, and I had no idea this was being pimped.
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2657
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Well, IPS voted to authorize the seizure of those properties. That didn't take long.

I took some photos this morning and posted them on my blog if anyone is interested in seeing the lay of the land. Pretty sad developing story going on here...
How frustrating. Does anyone know a particularly influential person in the NAs of Irvington or Little Flower or Emerson Heights who might be able to raise awareness of this on the east side? I'd be willing to take it on myself, even from my 800-mile-away vantage point, but it would be better to get people who are more directly affected and would surely care what happens in the area. Perhaps CDC Guy's suggestion could be applied here to block this sort of thing.
AmericanDirt no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #2658
cailes

I sent an e-mail to all the members of the IPS board. Whether or not I hear back on them I do not know. We will see what happens. Hopefully, the right thing
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2659
ablerock

great news

Lilly endowment awards $50,000 to Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library for strategic planning.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?ID=42881
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #2660
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:

Much needed help. I live less than a mile from here. I feel safe at my house in Meridian Park, but when I go for a walk I am definitely not heading in this direction. There are quite a few houses that are boarded up and there aren't many that don't appear to be in a general state of disrepair.

Another issue that needs to be addressed in the immediate vicinity of this revitalization project is the former wynona hospital site. A good development could help tip the scale.

Also, I can already feel the impact that 34 north has had on my neighborhood... It is nice to see the momentum continue close by.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis