search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #2761
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

Is this the sort of place that could be snatched up froma private buyer instead of sending it to the shovel?

Seems almost as bad as the trailside project not being offered up for private investors
cailes no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2762
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Rock View Post
I came up to Indy to stay for 6 days, spend lots of money and see the Drum Corps International World Championships over a 3 day period. I did spend some considerable time walking the new cultural trail and other areas of downtown and I do have some questions for you guys who may know the answer.

One: Will the city be repaving several downtown streets before the super bowl comes? I noticed at least 5 arteries really need it now. I do see quite a bit of marking paint showing utilities etc... When I have visited in the past the downtown streets have been quite good and smooth but not this time. That surprised me a little. I'm sure budgets and the economy aren't helping things.

Two: The canal: I was walking up the canal where the fountains were and bridge at the Vermont Street basin area. Some of the fountains need work but the big issue to me was the bridge... It is in horrible shape. I walked over it with a friend and my foot was closer to one edge of the step and an 6 inch piece of concrete step broke off and I went tumbling down 4 more steps and hit the ground below. Not good for a high profile asset for downtown. Is there any funds planned to get that bridge fixed or replaced? Also who would I need to let know of this risk to the city? Maybe what happened to me could possibly expedite things for repairs. Good thing is I didn't get hurt but a couple bruises.

Three: When is the Georgia Street redo supposed to start between the field house and the convention center?
Sorry to hear about your poor impression and accident. That sucks.

One: I agree, most of the streets need some serious TLC. I know for sure South St./Fletcher from the highway to LOS is being redone before the Super Bowl. Illinois St. was recently redone and is looking great. I've been assuming most of the streets downtown will be redone before the Super Bowl as part of the Rebuild Indy initiative. Mayor Ballard has said publicly he's passionate about infrastructure, and that's just starting to pay off.

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Mayor/Pages/RebuildIndy.aspx

"...the city will invest more than $425 million into the RebuildIndy program. This is in addition to the $88 million already committed for transportation improvements."

Two: You can contact the city's downtown neighborhood liaison Tonya Beeler. She is a good friend and gets stuff done. She'll also know who to contact.
http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DMD/Ne...ages/home.aspx

You can try the Mayor's Action Center:
http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Mayor/MAC/Pages/home.aspx

You might try contacting the Indianapolis Cultural Trail as well. The Canal is considered part of the trail now, so they should be made aware of potential safety problems from now on.
http://www.indyculturaltrail.org/contact.html

Three: I don't know an exact date, but last I read, work is scheduled to begin later this year. If there's any more specific info out there, Google is your friend. I'll see if I can find anything more, I'm curious as well.
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #2763
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

SW side - Data Center

IBJ reports on data center being built in Indianapolis.

"Lightbound plans to construct the 50,000-square-foot, $24 million data center at 650 W. Henry St. near Kentucky Avenue on the southwest side of Indianapolis."

http://www.ibj.com/it-firm-receives-.../article/21764

Inside Indiana Business reports:

"The project is expected to retain 32 jobs and create 35 others...the building's major tenant will be email marketing company ExactTarget Inc."

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?ID=43250
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #2764
TrafficSignal

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

One: I agree, most of the streets need some serious TLC. I know for sure South St./Fletcher from the highway to LOS is being redone before the Super Bowl. Illinois St. was recently redone and is looking great. I've been assuming most of the streets downtown will be redone before the Super Bowl as part of the Rebuild Indy initiative.
From the city website, in DPW section, under Doing Business --> planned public bids:

Meridian - South to Washington
Illinois - McCarty to Washington
Penn - McCarty to Washington
South - Penn to College
East - South to Washington

Construction due to start 11/1/10, although I don't know how much they'll be able to get done before shutting down over the winter, so maybe in the Spring.

On the same list, Georgia Street is listed as starting 1/1/11.
TrafficSignal no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2765
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanIndy View Post
Blech...
http://www.ibj.com/property-lines/20...AMS/post/21759

But hey, woo hoo, more parking downtown!

I do understand it must be tough to find someone willing to come up with that dough to remodel it, but it's still sad.
This won't be a popular argument for its pragmatism, but here goes:

1. Apparently, Salvation Army is unwilling to sell the property. So Indiana Landmarks was tasked with finding a rental tenant who would spend $600-700,000 to renovate a property they wouldn't own. In this economy, there's no chance of that happening. But they did get a chance to try.

2. No one has come forward with any significant historical data on this house. It is not listed on the Center Township inventory of historic sites and structures. So rather than being "historical" it's just old...and Salvation Army has owned it for more than half its 112-year life. I think they may have earned the right to do as they wish with their own property.

3. It has been cut up into apartments for a long time. Restoring any historical details of a cut up large single-family house is difficult. Making it usable, ADA compliant, and safe are ridiculously expensive.

4. It's freakin' downtown, people. Look at the picture in IBJ: it's on the block with Riley Towers and just a little north of the Regions Bank building. There's a reason it's the only freestanding house for blocks around. Here, I'm with arenn: we can't preserve every last old house downtown.

5. It will become greenspace, not parking. One would assume that someday, Salvation Army will build something else on the space, and that it will cost less than to convert the existing building...and that anything new will be far more energy-efficient, safe, and more tailored to their needs.

6. Since is isn't going to be renovated or sold, the only choices are to allow Salvation Army to knock it down, or to make them board it until it falls in. I'd rather have the vacant lot than an abandoned eyesore to look at.

Sometimes the best thing to do with an obsolete and out-of-place structure is demolition, and this is one of those times. It's just an out-of-place run-down old house of no apparent historic value.
cdc guy está en línea ahora  
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #2766
cailes

I have to be frank about that structure and it is that the first thing that sticks in my mind was "parking lot" and I instantly though "ah shit here we go again, someone else who thinks they need more parking"

It's boils my blood that there isn't more actively being done to REDUCE the glut of parking that is down there. When someone says that they want more, or that a parking structure would be great (in the case of Flaherty & Collins regarding the IFD HQ on MASS Ave) it just burns me. It tells me not enough people are digging deep enough into what else we could be doing to create a sustainable city. More parking is a step in the wrong direction.

Now, that not being the case and the lack of historical importance changes things a little bit. However, I can't figure out what would cost $600-$700k to rehab in there. One can buy acres of land, and build a home 3 times that size brand new in a burb. The property in question does not come with any land purchase issues, so where is $600K in cost coming from? Is this another case of ridiculous labor estimates inflating the costs of projects and making less attractive options the outcome? *scratching head*

People arent working hard enough to make the right thing happen.
cailes no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2767
Round Rock

Likes (Received): 21

Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

One: I agree, most of the streets need some serious TLC. I know for sure South St./Fletcher from the highway to LOS is being redone before the Super Bowl. Illinois St. was recently redone and is looking great. I've been assuming most of the streets downtown will be redone before the Super Bowl as part of the Rebuild Indy initiative. Mayor Ballard has said publicly he's passionate about infrastructure, and that's just starting to pay off.

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Mayor/Pages/RebuildIndy.aspx

"...the city will invest more than $425 million into the RebuildIndy program. This is in addition to the $88 million already committed for transportation improvements."

Two: You can contact the city's downtown neighborhood liaison Tonya Beeler. She is a good friend and gets stuff done. She'll also know who to contact.
http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DMD/Ne...ages/home.aspx

You can try the Mayor's Action Center:
http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Mayor/MAC/Pages/home.aspx

You might try contacting the Indianapolis Cultural Trail as well. The Canal is considered part of the trail now, so they should be made aware of potential safety problems from now on.
http://www.indyculturaltrail.org/contact.html

Three: I don't know an exact date, but last I read, work is scheduled to begin later this year. If there's any more specific info out there, Google is your friend. I'll see if I can find anything more, I'm curious as well.
Thanks Ablerock: My impression of downtown wasn't bad at all it was more of an observation to when I was there over the past few years how streets were maintained in the central business district. I'm from Indy originally and live in the Austin, TX area now. I thought street situation was mainly that the city might be saving some money until the last minute and repave some of the streets before the super bowl.

But the canal problem with that bridge is a safety issue. Thanks for giving me the contact info there. I'll get right on that and contact this individual. Indianapolis has such a nice asset there that you don't want one small thing like the bridge to detract from the canal or be a safety issue where someone really gets hurt. They should get rid of the limestone or concrete step method they use and use that grey granite for the steps that was used to restore the original west street basin by the state office building. Now that stuff won't break down like the other materials used.

One thing I noticed was that I was visiting one of the the drum corps websites where people talk about the DCI show in Indy and whatever else is on their mind and the impression of the city was fantastic with the amenities and convenience to everything and low costs was perfect for this event. I think the official tally was 72,000 people came over the three days to see the championships. Statistics show that 85% of the people who came were out of town people. New spending and tax revenue into the city.

As a general observation, since I'm from the Austin area, it is funny how similar downtown Austin and Indy are. They both have a major university butting up next to them by their government centers, UT and IUPUI. Both downtowns are along a river "white river state parK" and Zilker Park here, A gridded downtown street system and a similar compliment of high rises. Only major difference here is that they have been on a building tear here with high rise residential as high as 56 stories here. I think there has been 10 to 12 major residential towers in the last 4 years. We have our first spur of light rail that has opened up and of course 6th street, a mega party bar nightlife district. Now that is killer. Shame that SoDo didn't kick off and link to south street with Georgia street area to give Indianapolis a similar feel.
Round Rock no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2768
Round Rock

Likes (Received): 21

cultral trail question:

One thing I was curious about is when are they going to start other large legs of the cultural trail? I noticed the capital avenue portion as part of the convention center expansion, but nothing is going on elsewhere as in new start construction. Do they plan to still have the cultural trail done by the end of 2011? The stimulus grant they received required that they had to have it spent by December 31st 2011 to qualify for that money. Based on the length of time it has taken for the northern leg and the north east portion, they are going to have to go gang busters to finish it in 1 year. We are talking about some of the most high profile parts of the trail. potentially some significant traffic restrictions etc. if they try and cram the other legs close together to build.

Does anyone know the ground breaking for any new legs of construction? I thought for sure we would have seen a new let start by May of this year but it didn't....
Round Rock no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2769
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post

Now, that not being the case and the lack of historical importance changes things a little bit. However, I can't figure out what would cost $600-$700k to rehab in there. One can buy acres of land, and build a home 3 times that size brand new in a burb. The property in question does not come with any land purchase issues, so where is $600K in cost coming from? Is this another case of ridiculous labor estimates inflating the costs of projects and making less attractive options the outcome? *scratching head*
I agree with you that it's a real bummer that this property has to go.

While I'm less optimistic than cdc guy that it won't devolve to a parking lot or run-of-the-mill green space and remain that way for many years, the fact remains the renovation costs for historic properties often far outstrip the costs for building new. Otherwise, we'd probably have little need for a historic preservation movement and we'd see a lot less new construction. Keep in mind that even if the interior is gutted, the act of preserving the fragile exterior in itself adds a great deal of cost. And there may be politicization of the historic merits of interior features, which could escalate the price further if preservation interests campaign to safe those features.

Renovated urban structures nearly always have a significantly higher cost per square foot than their suburban counterparts. They have to--otherwise a developer would never break even. Fortunately for urban developers, there is currently a great deal of demand for these type of structures, and many people are willing to pay a premium for a unit in a renovated old building. What to do if that demand ever diminishes? We'd see far more Salvation Army scenarios, for sure.
AmericanDirt no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2770
cailes

I remember reading that the rest of the Alabama portion was suppose to start in July but it is still untouched the last I saw. its been a little while since I was in that area though.

I know they hired a local contractor instead of the people doing the Mass Ave portion, so hopefully that speeds things up a little bit.
cailes no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #2771
BosartBrown

Likes (Received): 0

I can't say I agree with The Star's Gary Varvel most of the time, but he is a talented cartoonist. I was surprised to see this set of very effective illustrations that outlines many of the problems and frustrations people have with the current IndyGo system.

http://photos.indystar.com/galleries...d=10343&num=10
BosartBrown no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #2772
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1211

The Cultural Trail along Alabama Street between Market St and Washington St is currently under construction. They have the orange barrels and barricades up and are tearing out the current sidewalks with diggers right now.

The current issue of the Cultural Trail news talks about the other major legs still needing to be worked on. The west leg will go through the IUPUI campus along the East side of Blackford St. The South (Central?) corridor will go along Washington St on the north side of the street. The SE corridor will be built along Virginia Ave on the south / west side of the street from Pennsylvania Street to Fountain Square. I believe the Cultural Trail website said all three segments would be starting in early 2011 (if not sooner).

I would hope that all three of those routes will be done by the end of 2011 --- although I would be surprised if that actually happens.

As far as re-paving downtown streets .... on that list that was shown a few posts back - I noticed that Capitol Avenue from at least Market St to McCarty St. was conspicuously missing. It definitely needs to be completely repaved. It has been torn up and new pipes for something were installed. That street is in terrible condition. I am sure that the repaving of that street must be part of the work that was bid as part of the pipe installation job. I am thinking they will be coming in soon and repaving Capitol because it is a mess right now. Most likely, as soon as the Cultural Trail is completed from Washington St. to South St. --- if not sooner. That should be by the end of the year. Maybe if we're lucky - it'll be done by mid October or so.

To RoundRock: I understand that the canal improvements will continue up toward the north. The Ohio St. basin was improved over the Winter / Spring of 09-10 - and I agree the new granite is beautiful. I didn't try to find the information again -- but I believe there was a two or so year plan to rebuild the cracking steps and bridges. I think most of that work should be done by the end of 2011 or early 2012. Sorry that the step broke on you. Thanks for not suing us --- Indy's a little tight with its budgets right now.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #2773
idyllic indy

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosartBrown View Post
I can't say I agree with The Star's Gary Varvel most of the time, but he is a talented cartoonist. I was surprised to see this set of very effective illustrations that outlines many of the problems and frustrations people have with the current IndyGo system.

http://photos.indystar.com/galleries...d=10343&num=10
Yep, that summed it up pretty well. :-(
idyllic indy no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #2774
GarfieldPark

Here's some additional information from the latest newsletter I received on the Cultural Trail and the upcoming construction plans:

Our team is working very hard to prepare for building the three remaining corridors in 2011. The following corridors will go to bid in December or in the first quarter of 2011 through the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT):
Southeast Corridor (from Washington St. and Pennsylvania St. to the fountain in Fountain Square on the south/west side of Virginia Ave.)
Central Corridor (from Alabama St. to West St. on the north side of Washington St.)
West Corridor (from Indiana Ave to White River State Park on the east side of Blackford St.)

Construction on these areas will begin in early 2011 and continue through the end of the year. Any construction or landscaping installation remaining in early 2012 will begin after the Super Bowl in February and completed by the end of 2012.

Our monthly brown bag meetings have been cancelled to accommodate more frequent public meetings that are being held on a regular basis with stakeholders within each area. If you would like more information about the construction schedule or upcoming construction update meetings, visit our Web site or contact Gail Payne, Cultural Trail public outreach manager: 317.985.5523 or [email protected].

Last edited by GarfieldPark; August 20th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #2775
GarfieldPark

I am copying a note I received pertaining to getting Zip Car started in Indianapolis. Any help getting this message forwarded around to other places where people may be able to sign up would good. Here is the letter:

Et all,

I am trying to get Zip Car to locate in downtown Indianapolis, specifically in the Cole Noble/Lockerbie/Market Square area. The way that they determine what cities they are going to go to, and then what locations within the places they go is by the number of people that have registered their address as potential users of their service. I have already registered my address, and I am trying to encourage people within these neighbhorhoods to register their address as well so that when they come to town, they come to our neighborhood. You can register residences and business, so if you would be willing to register your address to help this cause, it would be much appreciated. If you want any more information on zipcar, you can go to www.zipcar.com
or see below where there are directions to register your address into the system.

Thanks for your consideration

“Hi! Thank you for writing and letting us know that Indianapolis is ready for Zipcars! The best way to let us know your neighborhood is ready for Zipcar is to have your friends and neighbors add their address to our "notify me page" http://www.zipcar.com/notify-me . We use this information as a guide to place our next fleet of cars. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks and we hope you'll be Zipping in your area soon!”
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2776
cailes

edit
cailes no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #2777
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1403

Buried in the IBJ article today on parking meter privatization:

"The mayor said the $35 million from ACS will be used in part to pay for a new parking garage in Broad Ripple. The city is already scouting locations and hope to announce details in the near future."

Maybe they should put a parking structure over the Canal, just west of the Fire Station.

Oh, wait.
cdc guy está en línea ahora  
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #2778
cailes

good f'n lord. This is ridiculous...
cailes no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #2779
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The parking meter lease deal is beyond horrible for the city. I begged them not to do it, but of course they don't care what I or anyone else thinks.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #2780
cailes

It sounds a little better financially than the Chicago dea,l Aaron.

I love how they are simply deciding to go forward with this garage deal though. It is going to out scale the neighborhood and spend money that could be spent on the TRANSIT PLAN instead that would be a move in the right direction.
cailes no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis