search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #2801
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

The Cultural trail may not be built for speed but it is safer than riding across downtown's streets on a bike. It has signal priority in lots of places which essentially grants riders a pass through DT without having to fight traffic. I rode from BR to IUPUI last night and I have to admit that it was FANTASTIC to be able to do it. Even the ride home I took between the Metro and Chatham Tap. I bombed through there and surprised a bunch of people eating. LOL Was pretty funny to be riding past all the people sitting and eating.

But like garfield park says, it just feels like a special piece of infrastructure. It is well thought out and at the core, yeah maybe it is just a wider and better looking sidewalk, but that means a lot especially to those who can parlay that into something even better.
cailes no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2802
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Welcome Indyfatigable! I was just commenting last week on a window washer hanging off of 101 West Ohio. I told my wife that the guy had some brass balls to be sitting on that plank of wood.

Good to see some fresh blood on here.
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #2803
Indyfatigable
Indianapolitan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I think much more than providing benefits to bicyclists, the Cultural Trail provides wonderful assets to pedestrians. Walking along the new section of the Cultural Trail at the intersection of Mass Ave and Park Ave the other night (and its still not finished) - you get a tremendous feeling of being in a very special, public place that recognizes the priority of pedestrians along the street.
Until some homeless guy stops you to ask for spare change, right? Sorry, I'm just being facetious. Somewhat.

Quote:
The attractiveness of the space is so different from the usual gray asphalt and concrete that we have become so used to with our typical streets and sidewalks. I believe the Cultural Trail can make a difference in improving the attractiveness of pedestrian spaces in the city and will help set a higher standard that will eventually begin to be incorporated in other pedestrian / bicycle areas in urbanized areas throughout the region.
Have to concur on that. I just last Wednesday checked out the Glick Peace Walk portion of it and have to admit it's an aesthetic triumph and unique urban space. I was just disappointed not to see Norman Fell included. What? He was brilliant on Three's Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
Welcome Indyfatigable!!! Looking forward to discussing development-related issues with you regarding our fair city.
Why thank you, Hoss. Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
The Cultural trail may not be built for speed but it is safer than riding across downtown's streets on a bike. It has signal priority in lots of places which essentially grants riders a pass through DT without having to fight traffic. I rode from BR to IUPUI last night and I have to admit that it was FANTASTIC to be able to do it. Even the ride home I took between the Metro and Chatham Tap. I bombed through there and surprised a bunch of people eating. LOL Was pretty funny to be riding past all the people sitting and eating.
That's cool. From the mention/plug of Chatham Tap there, I'm guessing you came and went via the Monon -? I've ridden to Broad Ripple from White River Park via the White River Wapahani/Canal Towpath route many times. More often though, a favorite trip is to pack a small lunch in my bike's rack trunk and ride from downtown to the IMA or Holcomb Gardens. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Welcome Indyfatigable! I was just commenting last week on a window washer hanging off of 101 West Ohio. I told my wife that the guy had some brass balls to be sitting on that plank of wood.

Good to see some fresh blood on here.
101 West is one of the few high rises downtown I haven't worked on, although I worked for the company that had the contract for a while. Just never was sent there. As for brass balls, I actually heard similar comments many, many, many...times. Just being silly there, but after a few years the comments did get a wee redundant, but it's understandable. A favorite question was, "Aren't you scared?" To which I'd often wittily retort, "Only when I see my paycheck." *goes in search of rimshot smiley, but finds none. Dang it.* Another common, but not very well thought out query was, "Ya ever fall off the building?" And no, I'm not kidding. Being the wiseacre I am, I would reply, "Yeah I did. But luckily the sidewalk broke my fall." I got a million of 'em (unfortunately).

Ya done got me started, but while I'm being a commodian here, I have to share this. Having just touched down on the ground from rappelling down from the low rise part of the First Indiana Tower (now M & I Bank) and undoing my gear on the sidewalk on Pennsylvania St. a lady stopped in a car and called me over. Giving directions was very common as people would presume we were locals, although we worked in St. Louis, Louisville and Cincinnati as well.

Lady in car: "Do you know how to get to Clowe's Hall?"
Smart alecky window worsher: "Practice, practice, practice?"
Lady in car: "I'm sorry?"
Smart alecky window worsher: "Sigh. Go down here and take a left..."

She set 'em up, I knocked 'em down. But like a stand up comic who's bombing, I could only hope that somewhere down the road she might get that one.

Last edited by Indyfatigable; December 11th, 2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: O.C.D.
Indyfatigable no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #2804
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfatigable View Post
As a kid I often used to sit in the window of my parents' east side home near Southeastern and Sherman
That's SOUTHEAST side, dammit.

Welcome to the conversation.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2805
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

Penn Arts developer buys another place to fix up

http://www.ibj.com/blog/article?articleId=21872
cailes no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #2806
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 442

Jeffrey Brown just did a piece in the PBS Newshour about 100 Acres. It came from the angle of "look what we found where you wouldn't expect it" but the piece was very positive on the park as a unique addition to a well-established museum like the IMA. The PBS Arts Blog also has a post that focuses on Indianapolis Island and the artists living there:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog...ew-ground.html

The Newshour is rebroadcast on WFYI3 from 7-8pm, so if anybody gets this in time, you can check out the segment if you tune in around 7:40 or so.

Great national attention for Indy.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #2807
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Welcome, Indyfatigable
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #2808
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Indyfatigable, bet you have a few stories from over the years. He He...
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2809
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1136

Glad to see this major project will be getting started soon and will continue to strengthen the medical hub around 16th and Capitol. I believe both of these projects will be in a three block area between 15th and 16th Streets - thus extending the expanse of the Medical Complex further to the South. This should also help increase the usage of the People Mover which has a stop at 16th and Senate. As far as I can figure - it sounds like a 280,000 sq. ft NeuroScience facility and a 270,000 sq. ft Administrative Facility.

From the Indianapolis Star:

Clarian will put $100M neuroscience site in motion
By Daniel Lee Posted: August 25, 2010

Indianapolis-based hospital system Clarian Health is planning to break ground by the end of the year on a previously announced neuroscience center and a new administrative building. Both projects will be located near Methodist Hospital.

The projects, which have been submitted for approval by city planners, total at least $150 million.

A Neuroscience Center of Excellence building, to be located by 16th and Missouri streets south of Methodist, is part of a plan by Clarian and the Indiana University School of Medicine to invest more than $100 million in the neurosciences over five years.

In a separate project costing about $50 million, Clarian has a joint venture with general contractor Shiel Sexton to construct a five-story, 280,000-square-foot administrative building by the intersection of 16th Street and Capitol Avenue.

Work on the 270,000-square-foot neuroscience center hub is scheduled to begin in December. The three-building complex will include an ambulatory-care center, research center and parking garage. The first phase of the project, the ambulatory care center, is set to open in early 2012, according to Clarian.

As part of its neuroscience initiative, Clarian also recently completed its multimillion-dollar renovation of six neurosurgery suites at Methodist Hospital. The expanded operating rooms were altered to accommodate more equipment, including advanced imaging equipment.

"By renovating our neurosurgical suites for our nationally ranked neuroscience program, we can further position ourselves as a pre-eminent leader in using the latest and most innovative technologies to offer improved clinical outcomes for patients," Dr. John Kohne, chief operating officer for Clarian's Methodist Hospital, said in a statement.

Clarian said the new $50 million administrative building would help to consolidate Clarian workers now scattered around the city in rented space. Work on the building is expected to begin in summer 2011 and to be completed by in summer 2013.

The joint venture with Shiel Sexton also is scheduled to include a parking structure with 1,100 spots and about 35,000 square feet of medical office and retail space on the first floor. Construction on the garage is set to begin in December.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #2810
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 442

The PBS Newshour piece on 100 Acres is now available to view on their site:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/enter...art_08-24.html
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2811
cdc guy

Quote:
Glad to see this major project will be getting started soon and will continue to strengthen the medical hub around 16th and Capitol. I believe both of these projects will be in a three block area between 15th and 16th Streets - thus extending the expanse of the Medical Complex further to the South. This should also help increase the usage of the People Mover which has a stop at 16th and Senate. As far as I can figure - it sounds like a 280,000 sq. ft NeuroScience facility and a 270,000 sq. ft Administrative Facility.
It's 14th to 16th. Shiel is on the east side of Capitol (adds to their previous development from 14th to 15th on the opposite side of the street). Clarian is from 14th to 16th between the Monorail and I-65.

This is transformational change for the old "Near North Industrial Park", which is the area generally north and east of I-65, west of Illinois and south of 16th. It was one of the city's first TIF districts, established in the 1980s to facilitate construction of the "new" Methodist Hospital.

Soon enough, the Monorail route from the head of the canal to Methodist will be at the core of a healthcare/medical research and administrative corridor as Clarian's Methodist complex grows toward its Lab on 10th. Clarian is also gradually spreading east, toward Meridian Street. (A Clarian organization already occupies a significant portion of One Independence Square, the London Witte Group building at 1776 Meridian.)

The importance of "eds and meds" in urban redevelopment cannot be overstated. Big money facilities and concentrations of well-paid employees in a redeveloping near-downtown location is huge, because inevitably some of those folks will want to live near work. Re-developers like Reverie Estates (Penn Arts, St. Regis), Buckingham (Library Square and the old Y at 10th & Indiana), and Axia Urban ([email protected], The Warren, The Sheldrake, Talbott Commons, etc.) who have planned or invested in new and renovated apartments, townhouses, and condos in the area should have a steady source of tenants and buyers.

The next 5-10 years will be interesting.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #2812
cdc guy

Different story about Clarian developments, with video, from WTHR-13.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #2813
flavius

Likes (Received): 5

I am a former resident and now frequent visitor to Indianapolis, and I'm sorry, but I agree with Indyfatiguable about the Cultural Trail. I have been on it twice and could not understand what I was supposed to be excited about. It is a sidewalk, but with bikes. Or it is a bike lane with people walking in it.
flavius no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #2814
cdc guy

From the IBJ Daily email/Fox 59:

"A bouncer at an east-side strip club called Indianapolis police just after 2 a.m. Wednesday after he found a toddler wandering in the club’s parking lot. When police arrived at Club Paradise near English Avenue and Brookville Road..."

At last, a sense of direction.

(Although this story is scary. Apparently, the 3-year old got up during the night, unlocked the door, went out and crossed a street to get to the club.)
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2815
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
From the IBJ Daily email/Fox 59:

"A bouncer at an east-side strip club called Indianapolis police just after 2 a.m. Wednesday after he found a toddler wandering in the club’s parking lot. When police arrived at Club Paradise near English Avenue and Brookville Road..."

At last, a sense of direction.

(Although this story is scary. Apparently, the 3-year old got up during the night, unlocked the door, went out and crossed a street to get to the club.)
Is that the same strip club that was on the southside when it got robbed a week or two ago?
Mr Peanut no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2816
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
Different story about Clarian developments, with video, from WTHR-13.
"...Bringing in 2,000 jobs to our area means 2,000 more people here to eat lunch and shop after work, who may even be interested in buying homes in the area..."

That's pretty frigging sweet.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2817
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I am a former resident and now frequent visitor to Indianapolis, and I'm sorry, but I agree with Indyfatiguable about the Cultural Trail. I have been on it twice and could not understand what I was supposed to be excited about. It is a sidewalk, but with bikes. Or it is a bike lane with people walking in it.
It is a project that takes space away from cars and gives it to pedestrians and cyclists. The aspect of a major investment in human- rather than automobile-oriented infrastructure is big deal for Indy. As for the final product, what were you expecting that made the actual trail so disappointing?
Mr Peanut no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2818
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I can't make you excited about walking or biking, but you've just described what's exciting about it. It's a dedicated, beautiful, family-friendly pedestrian/bicycle path.

Also, keep in mind, it's not anywhere near being complete, not even 50%. I get pretty excited just about being able to ride my bike from Fountain Square to the Monon Trail terminus on a dedicated bike path. Not to mention I'll be able to get from Fountain Square to pretty much every major destination downtown on bicycle using a safe, beautiful dedicated path. And come the day I have some, could safely take my kids with me without having to worry about cars hitting them.

It's all about livability, beauty, multi-modal transportation, and connectivity.
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #2819
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1136

To Flavius: Everybody's free to have their own opinion -- and I've heard others who have said similar things. In my mind however -- the exciting thing is that the Cultural Trail significantly increases the attractiveness of downtown and helps boost new development nearby. I'm not saying that new developments are happening or will happen just because it is being built --- but I do think it makes a big difference - kind of a "tipping point" factor that is encouraging developers to be willing to invest in projects that they want to locate in "nice" areas, and they might not have done so if the Cultural Trail wasn't there. I believe it makes a big difference when people are considering where they want to live. People might consider downtown -- but they could be turned off if they knew they had to live in an area with cruddy sidewalks and regular - ugly downtown streets. As much as some people like to talk about the "attractiveness" of "gritty", "dirty" streets and cities --- if you want to build a bunch of $900 - $1200 / month apartments and $300,000 and up condos -- you need to have nice areas in which they can be built.

I believe the Cultural Trail changes that "ugly street" perspective significantly. In an urban environment - like downtown - your street and sidewalk basically are your "front yard". People want to have an impressive looking entrance or travel corridor that they can use. I believe the Cultural Trail makes that happen. I believe we will continue to see developers wanting to improve existing buildings or build new ones that are on or very close to (a block or so) the Cultural Trail.

On a related note --- this same issue of attractiveness of your neighborhood and its walking / biking environment relates to the need to stop the proliferation of the "homeless" people sitting on every busy corner in the core of downtown. Our downtown is an attractive place -- but the homeless squatters make it much less so. There was a story on the news last night about continued efforts moving forward to somehow "move" the squatters out of the way. I also heard there is some new "facility" being planned to "house" homeless - and hopefully encourage the people sitting around shaking cups to stop doing so. I hope the plan works. A big key is getting people to stop giving money to the cup-shakers. It might seem politically incorrect or something --- but I am sick and tired of the growth of the homeless squatters downtown. Sorry to sound "insensitive" ... but while I'm at it ... it just amazes me how many "fat" homeless people are sitting around. They sure are not having any trouble finding enough to eat. Maybe the new rules should only allow people with a body-fat index below 15% to shake cups -- any higher and they get picked up by the paddy wagon. (just kidding -- kind-of.)

Sorry for digressing -- although in reality, the two topics are related. People want to live in an attractive place. Crummy streets and sidewalks with homeless people sitting around do not make for a place where people want to live. Areas with very nice "sidewalks" - with plantings and artwork and connections to other attractive, interesting places, etc. make for place that people do want to live.

The Cultural Trail helps make downtown Indianapolis look much nicer- particularly at street level (which is what real urban living is about -- not the view of the skyline from a distance). It is true that the Cultural Trail often doesn't look as impressive when it is "just" by itself -- ie a nice brick walkway passing by a parking lot. In more developed places however - it usually makes the area look very nice - like a place you would want to hang out - and possibly to live. Hopefully -this attractiveness will also result in more of the "in-between" areas - places that now might be parking lots or underutilized areas - soon seeing new development attracted to it.

This potential for encouraging large amounts of new money to be spent because of the construction of the Cultural Trail was one of the main reasons it was able to get the $20 million TIGER grant. In another year and a half it should pretty much all be completed. It will be exciting to see the significant sidewalk improvements throughout the various areas of downtown - and likewise with the Georgia Street improvements - and potentially some improvements around the Circle. I think by building the Cultural Trail -- it encourages growth of a "culture" that recognizes what good looking streets and sidewalks should look like --- and because of that, I believe we will continue to see more of those kinds of sidewalks and roadways built - which will continue to improve the overall attractiveness and livability of downtown.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #2820
idyllic indy

Likes (Received): 165

Cultural Trail vs. all the poorly designed sidewalks everywhere else in the City

[QUOTE=GarfieldPark;62592011]
Quote:
People might consider downtown -- but they could be turned off if they knew they had to live in an area with cruddy sidewalks and regular - ugly downtown streets. As much as some people like to talk about the "attractiveness" of "gritty", "dirty" streets and cities --- if you want to build a bunch of $900 - $1200 / month apartments and $300,000 and up condos -- you need to have nice areas in which they can be built.
Unfortunately, market rate redevelopment will continue to not occur in the majority of Center Township and many of the outlying townships that will continue to have dilapidated streets and sidewalks (or no sidewalks).

Quote:
It might seem politically incorrect or something --- but I am sick and tired of the growth of the homeless squatters downtown. Sorry to sound "insensitive" ... but while I'm at it ... it just amazes me how many "fat" homeless people are sitting around. They sure are not having any trouble finding enough to eat. Maybe the new rules should only allow people with a body-fat index below 15% to shake cups -- any higher and they get picked up by the paddy wagon. (just kidding -- kind-of.)
I'm so with you on this one. I saw a guy at the bottom of the new exit ramp from I-65/70 to Washington who easily weighed in at least 350 lbs. I wish I could remember exactly what his sign said; something about being hungry.

Quote:
Areas with very nice "sidewalks" - with plantings and artwork and connections to other attractive, interesting places, etc. make for place that people do want to live.
If only the City of Indianapolis would actually build a decent sidewalk somewhere outside of downtown. Instead they are in the process of destroying sidewalks on W. 38th Street that are buffered from the street by a green strip and rebuilding them right next to the curb. Especially lame is that they will waste paint striping crosswalks at some of the intersections, but they can't appreciate the fact that it is not safe (and more importantly not necessary) to design all these intersections to have 120' long crosswalks. I'm not exaggerating. Some will be slightly shorter, but some will be longer. That's the equivalent of crossing twelve lanes of traffic. All because the sidewalks are located adjacent to the curb and the intersections are designed with incredibly wide sweeping curves to accommodate fast-moving vehicles.

Quote:
The Cultural Trail helps make downtown Indianapolis look much nicer- particularly at street level (which is what real urban living is about -- not the view of the skyline from a distance). It is true that the Cultural Trail often doesn't look as impressive when it is "just" by itself -- ie a nice brick walkway passing by a parking lot. In more developed places however - it usually makes the area look very nice - like a place you would want to hang out - and possibly to live. Hopefully -this attractiveness will also result in more of the "in-between" areas - places that now might be parking lots or underutilized areas - soon seeing new development attracted to it.
Let's hope so.

Quote:
I think by building the Cultural Trail -- it encourages growth of a "culture" that recognizes what good looking streets and sidewalks should look like --- and because of that, I believe we will continue to see more of those kinds of sidewalks and roadways built - which will continue to improve the overall attractiveness and livability of downtown.
What would be great would be for the City (i.e. DPW) to learn something from the Cultural Trail about how to build infrastructure throughout the rest of the City. What is that Ballard Rule? People are proud of their city, but they live in their neighborhoods. The ironic implication of that is that they aren't proud of their neighborhoods, but given the poor design of infrastructure, it probably rings true.
idyllic indy no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis