search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2861
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I cannot put into words how much I hate The Di Rimini. They appear to have cut every corner in regards to design. Their site even has this rendering:

That's pretty bad to begin with and what's actually standing is far worse.

And I have to disagree that this is 50 times better than what was there before -- a bare lot is an opportunity; what they built is an abomination.
The rendering on the website looks different from the one that was presented for Regional Center approval (Chris put that one on his DIG-B blog some months back).

If they were building what's in the rendering, it would be "okay". Not great, not really good, but okay. I have based all my previous comments on those design renderings. I've argued before...it's under construction, let's wait for all the finishing details. If it turns out badly I'll be the first to admit it.

However, it doesn't appear that they are actually building to that website design or to the approved RC plans. It's starting to look as if I'll be eating my words...they may be at the point where finishing details could be nothing more than lipstick on a pig. The doors and fenestration are pretty disappointing.

We'll see for sure in a couple of months.
cdc guy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2862
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

In addition, what a shitty website. They have photographs of the place under construction but appear to have wanted to highlight the skyline rather than the building itself. If you see it in person, you will understand why. Id be embarassed to try and market that place too.

The brown color of the exterior is a fitting color for what it resembles....
cailes no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2863
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 457

For comparison:

Where'd all the windows go? There may be details still to be finished, but they're not punching out more windows at this point.
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM   #2864
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 23

It looks like a rundown 1960's motel, only with less charm. WTH?
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2865
cailes

If we compare what is actually on the ground, to the original renderings submitted, there is a vast difference.

If the building had been built to those renderings, it would be a lot nicer than what is currently taking form.

Bamboozled
cailes no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2866
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1211

Here's some more details on the Methodist Hospital Neuroscience Center, administrative offices and hospital bed tower expansion plans. Its about a $200 million project. Along with 1200 new jobs there will be 1225 jobs re-located to the downtown campus. In addition - about 1700 construction jobs over the next few years.

http://www.ibj.com/downtown-clarian-.../article/22019
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2867
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Here's some more details on the Methodist Hospital Neuroscience Center, administrative offices and hospital bed tower expansion plans. Its about a $200 million project. Along with 1200 new jobs there will be 1225 jobs re-located to the downtown campus. In addition - about 1700 construction jobs over the next few years.

http://www.ibj.com/downtown-clarian-.../article/22019
Awesome news!
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:01 PM   #2868
GarfieldPark

Yes --- in actuality I think in total it is a lot more than a $200 million project. Its hard to tell for sure from the article - but the $200 million may be just for the Neuroscience Center and the Administrative Office Building. The bed tower is separate - and from the article it mentioned that would likely be a $350 million - $500 million project. The bed tower is supposed to be 12 or 13 stories. That seems very expensive for a 13 story hospital room project though -- so maybe that larger amount is the combined total for all three projects. Anyway --- its undoubtedly several hundreds of millions of dollars in new construction between the end of 2010 and about 2015.

There has been a fantastic consistency of major construction projects in Indy over the past 25 years. Here is a quick rundown of many of the major projects - just pulled from my memory --- so a few of the years may be slightly off - as well as the exact dollar amounts. Still -- quite an impressive list:

White River State Park 1986 - 2006 $ several hundred million
Central Canal - infrastructure and adj buildlings 1985 - ongoing - $ several hundred million
Circle Centre -- 1992 - 1995 $370 million
Conseco Fieldhouse 1997 - 1998 $200 million
Miscellaneous IUPUI projects and Med Center Projects 1990 - 2010 $2 billion (?)
Convention Center Expansion III - 2001 - 2002 $100 million
Clarian Health N. Canal projects - 2003 - 2007 $300 million
IUPUI Student Center - 2006 - 2007 $60 million
Lucas Oil Stadium - 2006 - 2008 $700 million
Indianapolis Airport Terminal - 2006 - 2008 $1.1 billion
Convention Center Expansion IV - 2009 - 2010 $275 million
Clarian Hospital Expansions 2010 - 2015 $500 million

Our construction industry hasn't had much to complain about over the past several decades.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:16 PM   #2869
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
White River State Park 1986 - 2006 $ several hundred million
Central Canal - infrastructure and adj buildlings 1985 - ongoing - $ several hundred million
Circle Centre -- 1992 - 1995 $370 million
Conseco Fieldhouse 1997 - 1998 $200 million
Miscellaneous IUPUI projects and Med Center Projects 1990 - 2010 $2 billion (?)
Convention Center Expansion III - 2001 - 2002 $100 million
Clarian Health N. Canal projects - 2003 - 2007 $300 million
IUPUI Student Center - 2006 - 2007 $60 million
Lucas Oil Stadium - 2006 - 2008 $700 million
Indianapolis Airport Terminal - 2006 - 2008 $1.1 billion
Convention Center Expansion IV - 2009 - 2010 $275 million
Clarian Hospital Expansions 2010 - 2015 $500 million

Our construction industry hasn't had much to complain about over the past several decades.
Add to the list:

Ivy Tech Multimodal facility and Old St. Vincent re-use and expansion (2009-11)
Children's Museum Welcome Center (2008-09)
Central Library addition (2004-08) (Honestly...who could forget that one?)
Minton-Capehart and Birch Bayh (Courthouse) Federal Building renovations (2009-11)

And everyone's favorite piles of EIFS:
Villagio
3Mass
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #2870
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The GSA spent over $100M rehabbing the Lawrence office building the DFAS office is located in a few years back.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:33 AM   #2871
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Simon Property Headquarters, Conrad, JW Marriott
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:34 AM   #2872
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
If we compare what is actually on the ground, to the original renderings submitted, there is a vast difference.

If the building had been built to those renderings, it would be a lot nicer than what is currently taking form.

Bamboozled
If that rendering is what they presented to get Regional Center approval, what does the MDC/Code Enforcement/whatever have to say about this? Should we be holding our breath waiting for the city to say or do anything about it?
Mr Peanut no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #2873
GarfieldPark

Yes --- the point of my short little list of large projects wasn't to come up with a complete list of all of the projects over the last three decades - it was just to point out that there has been a steady string of big projects - and I was focusing in primarily on the ones that were led by government or similar entities (public university / hospital related). The JW Marriott and its connected complex of hotels has definitely been a huge project though - no doubt. This Methodist / Clarian work should be similarly large - if not larger.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM   #2874
idyllic indy

Likes (Received): 165

Capitol and St. Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanIndy View Post
It looks like a rundown 1960's motel, only with less charm. WTH?
Good call.

Last time I went by there a week or two, I told myself it was high time for an update on this dump. Alas, I forgot. Thanks for picking up the slack everyone. Gotta love the little vinyl fake shutters.
idyllic indy no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2875
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Peanut View Post
If that rendering is what they presented to get Regional Center approval, what does the MDC/Code Enforcement/whatever have to say about this? Should we be holding our breath waiting for the city to say or do anything about it?
The wheels of code enforcement sometimes grind a bit slowly, as there is due process. A complaint today will not result in a stop-work order tomorrow, but it will probably result in an investigation next week. (Remember, the Code Enforcement people must contend with the neighborhood Lawn Nazis who take it upon themselves to report every "violation", real or imagined. Also, enforcement staff can get dragged into Hatfield-McCoy type neighborhood feuds. So they're careful about investigating the facts.) I am pretty sure this will come to DMD's attention soon, if it hasn't already.

That said, I am aware of at least two cases where legitimate complaints from a neighborhood organization about clear Regional Center ordinance violations have led to violation notices. One resulted in eventual compliance and the other in legal action against the violator.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2876
cailes

Thats encouraging Chris.
cailes no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:47 AM   #2877
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Forget it, guys. As with BW3, this is a fait accompli
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2878
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
The wheels of code enforcement sometimes grind a bit slowly, as there is due process. A complaint today will not result in a stop-work order tomorrow, but it will probably result in an investigation next week. (Remember, the Code Enforcement people must contend with the neighborhood Lawn Nazis who take it upon themselves to report every "violation", real or imagined. Also, enforcement staff can get dragged into Hatfield-McCoy type neighborhood feuds. So they're careful about investigating the facts.) I am pretty sure this will come to DMD's attention soon, if it hasn't already.

That said, I am aware of at least two cases where legitimate complaints from a neighborhood organization about clear Regional Center ordinance violations have led to violation notices. One resulted in eventual compliance and the other in legal action against the violator.
The developer has listed this building for sale while its still under construction. I wonder if the developer ran out of money and is trying to finish the building as cheaply and quickly as possible since it is easier to sell a finished building?
kangaroo1 no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2879
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Forget it, guys. As with BW3, this is a fait accompli
At least with the downtown BW3, the owner was forced to make some small but noticeable improvements to the facade before the restaurant could open.

I don't know if small improvements would ameliorate the appearance of the Di Rimini, but perhaps the city could put more pressure on the developers in this case since it involves a large apartment building instead of just a restaurant facade.
kangaroo1 no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2880
GarfieldPark

Five Indiana Square

Good to see this project moving along quickly. The building has been empty for several years. It'll be interesting to see what types of businesses they'll be able to get to go in on the ground floor and other lower floors. It might make a nice spot for another restaurant. There aren't a lot of restaurants in that Pennsylvania St. corridor north of Market. Here's the little blurb from the Star:

Summit buys site for new offices
Posted: September 3, 2010
Indianapolis -- Summit Realty Group on Thursday bought the 241 North Penn Building, where it plans to relocate its offices to the top two floors. The first and second floors will be leased out after a $3.3 million renovation, said Summit, which will move from the nearby Chase Tower. The city on Wednesday approved a property tax abatement on the building

Tags
development, indianapolis