search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM   #2881
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Five Indiana Square

Good to see this project moving along quickly. The building has been empty for several years. It'll be interesting to see what types of businesses they'll be able to get to go in on the ground floor and other lower floors. It might make a nice spot for another restaurant. There aren't a lot of restaurants in that Pennsylvania St. corridor north of Market. Here's the little blurb from the Star:

Summit buys site for new offices
Posted: September 3, 2010
Indianapolis -- Summit Realty Group on Thursday bought the 241 North Penn Building, where it plans to relocate its offices to the top two floors. The first and second floors will be leased out after a $3.3 million renovation, said Summit, which will move from the nearby Chase Tower. The city on Wednesday approved a property tax abatement on the building
I have been a neighbor of this building for 16 years now. I am thrilled to see someone finally come in and take it.

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #2882
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Is Allen Plaza done yet? Is that corner nice glass element going to be put in? Something tells me no, too flashy and expensive....
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #2883
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1158

Its not up there yet. Doesn't look like there is any construction going on with that building any more right now either. That's not to say that it couldn't happen at some time in the future.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #2884
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Alright, I'm not trying to start a concert event space-race between Indy and Carmel but I think it’s about time for Indy to build a proper home for the Indianapolis Symphony. I'm thinking something along the lines of rebuilding a modern version of the English Opera House at East and Market. It could double as a boutique hotel and concert hall.

As we have heard, the Circle Theater was built as a movie theater and has a proscenium making it less than ideal for symphonic performances. The Symphony should sell the Circle Theater to another arts organization and use the proceeds as a down payment on a new space. I think the name LILLY SYMPHONY HALL has a nice ring to it

Anyway, as many of you already know, I love the Idea of creating a new traffic circle at East and Market Street. The new concert hall/boutique hotel could be situated at the northeast quad of this circle. While the rest of the circle could be built out by Harrison College on the southeast quad Tadd Miller's condominium building on the southwest quad and a reconfigured parking garage/liner office building on the northwest quad.

Last edited by thehoss257; September 6th, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2885
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

I think that the ubiquitous up northy place has already won. They are going to battle for any event that could possibly go to a new home for the ISO. I couldn't imagine the ISO or the city spending anywhere near what they spent on that beast up north. How well is the ISO doing financially? I don't think they are doing bad, but how much of the ISO's customer base will now prefer to go into Carmel? I think that the best place for this idea to happen would be in the lot just north of old city hall / interim library. The city hall building could be the grand entrance and banquet spaces, and then connect to a new concert hall.

As for another circle. I don't really like the idea, but I could warm up to it if there was a real park/plaza area inside of the circle. No more war monuments and memorials. A nice shady place to eat lunch or read the paper in would be nice. An area for small events even. Maybe a cafe kiosk like in the pocket parks in manhattan. Whatever happens it should address washington street well if there is going to be light rail there.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #2886
thehoss257

Didn't we just spend 400+ million on a Lucas Oil Stadium? The Palladium in Carmel only cost 118 million. It is certainly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
I think that the ubiquitous up northy place has already won. They are going to battle for any event that could possibly go to a new home for the ISO. I couldn't imagine the ISO or the city spending anywhere near what they spent on that beast up north. How well is the ISO doing financially? I don't think they are doing bad, but how much of the ISO's customer base will now prefer to go into Carmel? I think that the best place for this idea to happen would be in the lot just north of old city hall / interim library. The city hall building could be the grand entrance and banquet spaces, and then connect to a new concert hall.

As for another circle. I don't really like the idea, but I could warm up to it if there was a real park/plaza area inside of the circle. No more war monuments and memorials. A nice shady place to eat lunch or read the paper in would be nice. An area for small events even. Maybe a cafe kiosk like in the pocket parks in manhattan. Whatever happens it should address washington street well if there is going to be light rail there.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2887
thehoss257

Does anyone else use Flickr to upload pics? Please help!!!

Last edited by thehoss257; September 6th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #2888
GarfieldPark

Along with the many big projects listed on the previous page - (copied below) -- one other big thing that didn't get listed is the $700 million new Wishard Hospital. With that project -- and the new Simon Cancer Center at the IU Med Center and the Neuroscience center / administration building / bed tower at Clarian / Methodist -- that makes well over $1.5 billion worth of new medical facilities going up in the NW part of downtown over the next five years.

(White River State Park 1986 - 2006 $ several hundred million
Central Canal - infrastructure and adj buildlings 1985 - ongoing - $ several hundred million
Circle Centre -- 1992 - 1995 $370 million
Conseco Fieldhouse 1997 - 1998 $200 million
Miscellaneous IUPUI projects and Med Center Projects 1990 - 2010 $2 billion (?)
Convention Center Expansion III - 2001 - 2002 $100 million
Clarian Health N. Canal projects - 2003 - 2007 $300 million
IUPUI Student Center - 2006 - 2007 $60 million
Lucas Oil Stadium - 2006 - 2008 $700 million
Indianapolis Airport Terminal - 2006 - 2008 $1.1 billion
Convention Center Expansion IV - 2009 - 2010 $275 million
Clarian Hospital Expansions 2010 - 2015 $500 million

Our construction industry hasn't had much to complain about over the past several decades.

Add to the list:

Ivy Tech Multimodal facility and Old St. Vincent re-use and expansion (2009-11)
Children's Museum Welcome Center (2008-09)
Central Library addition (2004-08) (Honestly...who could forget that one?)
Minton-Capehart and Birch Bayh (Courthouse) Federal Building renovations (2009-11)

And everyone's favorite piles of EIFS:
Villagio
3Mass )
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #2889
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 455

Don't forget the $435M Riley Hospital Simon Family Tower.
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2890
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Great news...

http://www.ibj.com/liquor-board-oks-.../article/22126

Quote:
A local liquor board cleared the way Tuesday for the Indianapolis City Market to begin selling beer there later this fall.

The three-member Marion County Alcoholic Beverage Board voted unanimously to approve a carryout liquor license for the historic downtown site. The permit will allow the Indiana Brewers Guild to open a bar at the market featuring local craft beers to drink on-site and for take-out.
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #2891
libertybell-donna

Likes (Received): 0

For all arts people, this is HUGE news for the Indianapolis Art Museum:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nice-biennale/
libertybell-donna no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #2892
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybell-donna View Post
For all arts people, this is HUGE news for the Indianapolis Art Museum:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nice-biennale/
Thanks for the heads up. That is great!
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #2893
idyllic indy

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
Anyway, as many of you already know, I love the Idea of creating a new traffic circle at East and Market Street. The new concert hall/boutique hotel could be situated at the northeast quad of this circle. While the rest of the circle could be built out by Harrison College on the southeast quad Tadd Miller's condominium building on the southwest quad and a reconfigured parking garage/liner office building on the northwest quad.

Traffic circle at East & Market? Hmmm... I did not know about this idea of yours, but I'm intrigued.

Actually I think the final tab for LOS was closer to $700 million
idyllic indy no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #2894
thehoss257

Cool, I figured out how to post images from Flickr.

The following diagram showes what I was
image hosted on flickr

East-Market Traffic Circle by hostetlermatt, on Flickr

Last edited by thehoss257; September 8th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #2895
thehoss257

image hosted on flickr

MSA Model Revised - Expanded Sidewalks Cresent Roundabout by hostetlermatt, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MSA Model Revised - Expanded Sidewalks Cresent Roundabout 2 by hostetlermatt, on Flickr
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2896
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Old September 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #2897
GarfieldPark

September 8th, 2010 marks the 15th anniversary of the opening of Circle Centre. There is an interesting story on it in the Indy Star Files - with many pictures and links related to the long process of getting the place built. I remember the big Grand Opening -- and much of the pain of having several blocks of downtown looking like craters and ruins back around 1990 - 1991 - 1992. I also remember how in the last two or three weeks before the grand opening there was a frantic push to get everything done. The streets were still all torn up it seemed like just a week or two prior to the grand opening. They were painting the interior around the clock --- and then finally - the last day and a half before the evening grand opening - there was a massive clean-up. Somehow they got it all ready to go on time. Overall its been a pretty good 15 years for the mall. Here is a link to the story:

http://blogs.indystar.com/starfiles/..._centre_m.html
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2898
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Thanks for the Wishard rendering CorrND!

That's a nice-looking building.

I'm noticing a aesthetic trend/theme in the new IUPUI parking garage, Glick Eye Center, and this Wishard rendering.

Anyone have opinion/knowledge about that being intentional or just architectural trends?
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2899
CorrND
Moderator Chris

I'm not pleased with the siteplan for Wishard, but that was pretty much a done deal as soon as it went public. Fortunately I'm liking the design. For some reason it seems to evoke 60s/70s institutional with a sleek modern glassy touch. The cantilevered "slabs" are bold -- I like.

I see what you're saying, ablerock, about the new design trend at IUPUI. I still find it funny that IUPUI finally put out a half-decent design on a garage that's specifically sited to allow future construction to obscure it. Apparently it now has the official name Gateway Garage.

I was also trolling through some IU planning documents recently and there's an entry in the IUPUI section for this:

Safeco Building - Space Planning - Schematic Design - 60,000 GSF

The IU Medical Group already leases part of the old Safeco complex, so expansion into the empty space makes sense. This is pure speculation, but IUPUI needs a place to put the administrative offices housed in the Union Building (slated for demolition with New Wishard) so Safeco might be a temporary or longer-term solution. They were originally planning to move those offices into Lockefield Village (a closed nursing home that's part of old Wishard) but the planning documents are still showing that they're considering that building for student housing.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #2900
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Penn Centre = officially dead. Heard it from the man himself.
Oh well. That's sad, since they had a good plan and had already gotten through pretty much all the regulatory hurdles. On the other hand, a piece meal building-out of those parking lots might be easier and more interesting in the long run. Residential focus, rather than big hotels, might be better for that location as well.

Tags
development, indianapolis