search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #2921
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 455

I believe the canal Kirkbride Bible factory project is also going to include the BH Gardner factory. Two reasons:

1. A rezoning petition for the Kirkbride site has been continued for several months (maybe 4 or 5). The reasoning given is that the petitioners intend to include additional property in their filing. The BH Gardner site to the south was for sale until recently, so that's the most likely addition.

2. The Kirkbride site is 1.2 acres. 150 units on 1.2 acres is 125 units/acre, which is significantly higher than the Regional Center Plan 2020 recommendation of 27-49 units for that site. 150 units spread across both sites would probably be a lot closer to the upper end of that range.

I'm very curious to see the designs and most particularly the interface between St. Clair and the canal. All street-canal interfaces are important opportunities to offer uses that activate both the canal and the street. For the most part, these interfaces have been completely wasted and this is one of the last opportunities to get one right.

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #2922
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1158

Union Station: Another thing I noticed the other evening was that it looks like the Pacers Academy school in Union Station is gone. Normally you can see classrooms and tables / chairs / classroom displays when you drive by the corner of Union Station there - just west of Meridian and Louisiana streets. Last night it looked empty in the space where the school used to be located.

Sure - schools are obviously important -- but that location never really made much sense to me. I mean its right in the middle of the biggest bar district in the city - between Cadillac Ranch, Hooters, Claddagh, Blu, Ice, Have a Nice Day Cafe, Slippery Noodle, Tiki Bob's, etc., etc.

I'd love to see them remove those horrible 1970s style, "Arby-esque" bump out glass (plexiglass?) first floor window things on the Union Station train shed. How in the &#@ did those ever get approved by the Historic Preservation Commission?? I mean they were added in the mid 1980's -- to one of the most historic structures in the City. Somebody must have forced the commission to approve it. Maybe the developer convinced someone with a lot of power that they were necessary for the financial success of the Union Station festival market "remake". I don't know -- but they sure are ugly.

Anyway --- I'd love to see that section of the Louisiana Street corridor turned into a highly pedestrian focused bar and restaurant corridor to finish that quarter of the block so that it fits in with the surrounding Wholesale District development. Remove the glass bump-out additions, widen the sidewalks, and open two or three excellent streetfront pubs or restaurants along that stretch of the street - tucked away from Meridian. With the school moved out -- hopefully there will be interest for something appropriate to move in.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #2923
Indyfatigable
Indianapolitan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Union Station: Another thing I noticed the other evening was that it looks like the Pacers Academy school in Union Station is gone. Normally you can see classrooms and tables / chairs / classroom displays when you drive by the corner of Union Station there - just west of Meridian and Louisiana streets. Last night it looked empty in the space where the school used to be located.
You're right, the Union Station Pacers Academy is no more. I know a lady who taught there, and she was reassigned to what's now referred to as George Washington Community School on W. Washington.

Quote:
Sure - schools are obviously important -- but that location never really made much sense to me. I mean its right in the middle of the biggest bar district in the city - between Cadillac Ranch, Hooters, Claddagh, Blu, Ice, Have a Nice Day Cafe, Slippery Noodle, Tiki Bob's, etc., etc.
I agree. That always seemed a peculiar choice for a school location. Nor was the timing right unfortunately, 'cause wasn't long after the opening of Pacers Academy (2001) came the Artest inspired fiasco at Detroit (the Malice in the Palace, as it were), the strip club parking lot gun play incident and other examples that were hardly anything kids might aspire to. Now, while they're cellar dwellers in the league, that isn't much with which to hope to motivate children either.

Quote:
I'd love to see them remove those horrible 1970s style, "Arby-esque" bump out glass (plexiglass?) first floor window things on the Union Station train shed. How in the &#@ did those ever get approved by the Historic Preservation Commission?? I mean they were added in the mid 1980's -- to one of the most historic structures in the City. Somebody must have forced the commission to approve it. Maybe the developer convinced someone with a lot of power that they were necessary for the financial success of the Union Station festival market "remake". I don't know -- but they sure are ugly
Those are pretty tacky, but at least they're on the train shed addition which was completed in 1922. They definitely not only clash with its architectural style for sure, but scream 1980s (and fast food as you alluded to). Over at the 1888 Union Station headhouse, what of that overwrought Art Deco entrance canopy that was awkwardly affixed in 1941? Not only is it totally out of character with the Romanesque Revival style of the building, but it even bisects several of the large ground floor arched windows. I had hoped when I was working there during the renovation that that might get the heave ho, but alas, no.

Quote:
Anyway --- I'd love to see that section of the Louisiana Street corridor turned into a highly pedestrian focused bar and restaurant corridor to finish that quarter of the block so that it fits in with the surrounding Wholesale District development. Remove the glass bump-out additions, widen the sidewalks, and open two or three excellent streetfront pubs or restaurants along that stretch of the street - tucked away from Meridian. With the school moved out -- hopefully there will be interest for something appropriate to move in.
I like that notion a lot. The curbs were already extended with the addition of the "greenhouses," so it wouldn't be too hard to 86 those and convert that into a nice stretch of shady sidewalk cafe - and right across the street from the Convention Center. Seems win win all the way if done right.

Indyfatigable no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #2924
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Great article on the 22nd and Monon area problems and potential.

http://www.ibj.com/a-new-outlook-for.../article/22155

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #2925
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Do you mean Michael Graves? I love that guy! I hope he designs the Broad Ripple parking garage... He did the art center right?
Oops, yes, I meant Michael. My goof. Yes, I believe he did the Art Center.
AmericanDirt no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #2926
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Great article on the 22nd and Monon area problems and potential.

http://www.ibj.com/a-new-outlook-for.../article/22155
That was a damn good article! Thanks for the linkage Eddie
cailes no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2927
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDirt View Post
Oops, yes, I meant Michael. My goof. Yes, I believe he did the Art Center.
Graves in Indy:
  • Former RCA/Thomson HQ complex on North Meridian (the buildings with green checkerboard exterior and mustard-gold columns),
  • Art Center, and
  • NCAA HQ

And don't forget his line of housewares at Tar-jay, that fabulous home-design studio (in a strip mall or power center near you).
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2928
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2506

When I was last in Indy about 4 years ago, I heard that Carmel was going to build a nice downtown. Has it started? If so, can someone post photos? Also, the Village of West Clay was starting construction. Can someone post photos of that?
RobertWalpole no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #2929
cailes

www.urbanophile.com has a post about his walk through. It shouldnt be too far back. Lots of good photos.

Has anyone been keeping up with the parking meter deal? Kudos to Aaron (again) for fighting the good fight on Indy's behalf. Lots of good stuff coming out here on both sides of the fence.

EDIT: Here it is
http://www.urbanophile.com/2010/05/2...armel-indiana/
cailes no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #2930
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2506

That's very nice. Thanks for the link.
RobertWalpole no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2931
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post

According to a reliable source, a stop work order has been issued by the Department of Code Enforcement.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #2932
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Hey Aaron. Heard you on Amos Brown in reference to the parking meter deal. Very nice.

BTW, I saw today that a When Harry Met Salad is going in next to the CVS at Illinois and Ohio St.
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2933
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
According to a reliable source, a stop work order has been issued by the Department of Code Enforcement.
Based on the BW3 compromise, what should we expect? Shutters and some faux painting? One would hope that at some point there will be some pushback on those who ask "forgiveness, not permission." We'll see if it's on this building.
JohnM Indy no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2934
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM Indy View Post
Based on the BW3 compromise, what should we expect? Shutters and some faux painting? One would hope that at some point there will be some pushback on those who ask "forgiveness, not permission." We'll see if it's on this building.

Certainly nothing should get 90% complete without someone catching that it hasn't been built to the approved plan.

There's apparently still a bit of disconnect in the system somewhere.

If a building inspector looked at the foundation, and then the structure and mechanicals, but didn't review the plans to make sure that what's built is what's approved, then the inspection system isn't set up to catch this kind of problem (and should be). Obviously if a neighbor (CorrND) can catch it, someone with access to the City's database should be able to catch it, too.

If the building permits were pulled with the plans that have been built (but not the ones that got Regional Center approval), then it's on the City permitting process and on the person who granted the permit for an unapproved structure.

If the developer submitted one set of plans for approval and built something else, then it's his problem regardless. He took the risk of building to an unapproved plan.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #2935
cailes

Damn, good news Chris!!

This bares some investigating that is for sure!
cailes no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #2936
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

City database confirms stop-work order was posted Friday. How timely now that the building is mostly complete. JohnM hit it on the head with his comment about the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" mentality. Developers wouldn't do this if they weren't 99.9% certain of getting away with it.

If anybody is interested, the case number is VIO10-101658
Mr Peanut no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #2937
idyllic indy

Likes (Received): 165

inspections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
Certainly nothing should get 90% complete without someone catching that it hasn't been built to the approved plan.

There's apparently still a bit of disconnect in the system somewhere.

If a building inspector looked at the foundation, and then the structure and mechanicals, but didn't review the plans to make sure that what's built is what's approved, then the inspection system isn't set up to catch this kind of problem (and should be). Obviously if a neighbor (CorrND) can catch it, someone with access to the City's database should be able to catch it, too.

If the building permits were pulled with the plans that have been built (but not the ones that got Regional Center approval), then it's on the City permitting process and on the person who granted the permit for an unapproved structure.

If the developer submitted one set of plans for approval and built something else, then it's his problem regardless. He took the risk of building to an unapproved plan.
The last I heard, the City never performs proactive inspections regarding zoning permits. If they did, they'd be able to issue a certificate of occupancy.
idyllic indy no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #2938
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyllic indy View Post
The last I heard, the City never performs proactive inspections regarding zoning permits. If they did, they'd be able to issue a certificate of occupancy.
Given what it costs to file a Regional Center petition and an ILP (building permit) application, the City (and by "the City" I mean the Department of Code Enforcement) damn sure is getting paid enough to cross check the actual building plans with the RC-approved plans for new buildings within the RC area prior to ILP issuance.

Further, within the RC area, building inspectors on site should be spot-checking the foundation and structure dimensions against the approved plans, not just to make sure that the construction is done to building code, but to make sure that what is built is what has been approved.

Grr.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #2939
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

http://www.agreenerwelcome.org/

Website for the Lilly/KIB I-70 beautification project "A Greener Welcome"

---

"On October 7th Eli Lilly and Company in collaboration with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc (KIB) will landscape and enhance the interchanges that form the western gateway to urban Indianapolis for Lilly's third annual Global Day of Service. They are: Sam Jones Expressway, Harding Street, West Street, Illinois Street/Capitol Avenue and Meridian Street. To see maps of the project, click here.

Two communities will see their I-70 entrances made more welcoming. They are: West Indianapolis Development Corporation and the Concord Community Development Corporation.

Led by KIB, a team of urban planners and landscape architects have re-designed the I-70 corridor to integrate native grasses, flowering plants, and trees. Site-specific sculptures have been commissioned. Public meetings and open comment periods gave neighbors and business owners a voice in the planning.

It's another chapter in the Indianapolis story that brings together private companies, community leaders, multiple government agencies, and a lot of good people ready to put on their work gloves.

Now, the project called "A Greener Welcome" is about to begin.
"
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2940
cailes

My wife has been talking to these people for a while. She wrote about them in last week's Broad Ripple Gazette. Going to be a very nice project
cailes no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis