search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #3041
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

This article on the Super Bowl prep caught my eye:

http://www.ibj.com/super-bowl-crew-h.../article/22430

Why am I not surprised they staffed it entirely with local people? Now, in Indy's case, the city does have incredible talent in the sports event hosting business, but it is certainly a curious choice not to have hired even one person who worked on a previous Super Bowl.

Just another data point about how incredibly ingrained the locals-only culture is in Indy. It's a factor everywhere to be sure, but I've never seen a city where it almost always trumps all else they way it does in Naptown.

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3042
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Mary Milz just reported on WTHR that Buckingham will likely be making an official announcement about their project on the Lilly parking lot at Delaware and South on Monday. IBJ's article back in June reported that it would be "more than $100 million" and she said in her piece that the price tag is $155M. They also put up a graphic of the land being used and it does NOT stretch over to Virginia Ave. It looked like pretty much a straight shot north on Alabama as the eastern boundary.
I hope IBJ is right and 13 is wrong!

Although, more money in a smaller footprint could mean higher density and quality. And perhaps help spur another quality development for the lot along Virginia Ave and the Cultural Trail.

If 13's graphic is correct, I hope my heart out that Buckingham is not planning on just using the lot along Virginia for the new development.

---

June 26 IBJ graphic:

Sep 24 WTHR 13 graphic:

image hosted on flickr
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3043
ablerock

New indystar.com design

Who else is a fan of the new indystar.com?

Looks WAY more professional. I actually enjoy perusing the site now!

Does anyone frequent other Gannett newspaper sites? Have you seen this look on other newspapers?

I perused a few Gannett papers via this link and it looks to be an original design.

http://www.gannett.com/web/newspapers.htm

I really, really like it. It's fresh and simple.
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #3044
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I hope IBJ is right and 13 is wrong!

Although, more money in a smaller footprint could mean higher density and quality. And perhaps help spur another quality development for the lot along Virginia Ave and the Cultural Trail.

If 13's graphic is correct, I hope my heart out that Buckingham is not planning on just using the lot along Virginia for the new development.
Your second paragraph is what I'm thinking. I have no doubt that Buckingham knows the importance of the Virginia frontage and would do right by it, but it might be beneficial to develop that piece in a separate project whose central focus isn't a hotel and business conference center.
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3045
Indy Rock

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
This article on the Super Bowl prep caught my eye:

http://www.ibj.com/super-bowl-crew-h.../article/22430

Why am I not surprised they staffed it entirely with local people? Now, in Indy's case, the city does have incredible talent in the sports event hosting business, but it is certainly a curious choice not to have hired even one person who worked on a previous Super Bowl.

Just another data point about how incredibly ingrained the locals-only culture is in Indy. It's a factor everywhere to be sure, but I've never seen a city where it almost always trumps all else they way it does in Naptown.
I sure as hell haven't heard Naptown in the past 15 years. Well, maybe in the African American culture but that's it.
Indy Rock no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #3046
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Rock View Post
I sure as hell haven't heard Naptown in the past 15 years. Well, maybe in the African American culture but that's it.
Huh?

You're living under a huge rock my friend!
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #3047
Indy Rock

Not at all man.

I surround myself with plenty of friends and advocates from Indianapolis. All I'm saying is that the somewhat notorious nickname "Naptown" is more of a begone one at that. Nowadays most people I know refer to it as Indy or Circle City. Granted, I'm only 21 years old so most of the people I'm close to didn't grow up with "Naptown" as a household name. Now if you're older I can see where it may be more common.
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #3048
ablerock

Quote:
I surround myself with plenty of friends and advocates from Indianapolis. All I'm saying is that the somewhat notorious nickname "Naptown" is more of a begone one at that. Nowadays most people I know refer to it as Indy or Circle City. Granted, I'm only 21 years old so most of the people I'm close to didn't grow up with "Naptown" as a household name. Now if you're older I can see where it may be more common.
I'm only 31, damn!

--

Food for thought regarding your comments on age and race:

Does it strike you odd that a 3-decade-old, primarily African-American event bills itself "The Circle City Classic," while a predominantly young and white audience watches the 4-year-old "Naptown Rollergirls?"

Truth is, Naptown is just as ubiquitous as Indy or The Circle City. And the usage of each doesn't really have much to do with race or age. Naptown is a popular and beloved nickname used by people of all backgrounds.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3049
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Huh? African American community? I'm 23 and heard "Naptown" my entire life; although I did grow up in downtown Indianapolis and went to IPS / Tech High School
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3050
Indy Rock

In other news...

http://www.wthr.com/story/13216845/p...-victory-field

Something SERIOUSLY needs to be done with West Street! And on that note there have been way too many accidents lately involving cars hitting pedestrians or bicycles. It's sickening.
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3051
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Something SERIOUSLY needs to be done with West Street! And on that note there have been way too many accidents lately involving cars hitting pedestrians or bicycles. It's sickening.
In this particular case, it seems the woman stepped right out in front of a vehicle which had the green light.
Mr Peanut no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #3052
ablerock

Quote:

Word.
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #3053
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Naptown does not bring up images as "sleepy" to anyone I know...and let me say that I often hear the term as well as "Nap." It just the way cities roll these days. You've gotta have a nickname and ours is very ubiquitous
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #3054
BosartBrown

West street is a nightmare for pedestrians. I would imagine the crosswalks will get a lot more pedestrian traffic once the JW Marriott opens its doors. While it seems the woman in this story was not obeying the crosswalk signals no one should be thrown 100 feet in a downtown area that supposed to be walkable and pedestrian friendly. Its not uncommon to see drivers doing 60mph around this area.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...t|IndyStar.com
BosartBrown no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #3055
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Naptown is one of the all time great city nicknames. The city should really embrace it.

And I like the Indy Star redesign too!
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #3056
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Naptown is one of the all time great city nicknames. The city should really embrace it.

And I like the Indy Star redesign too!
Was anyone aware there was a mini-feud with Annapolis about the rights to the Naptown nickname?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=naptown

Do some googling and you'll see it's used a lot in both cities. (Although, the first page of google results is all Indy, so we can clearly see who owns the name!)

I'm totally curious which city started using it first.
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #3057
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I'm only 31, damn!

--

Food for thought regarding your comments on age and race:

Does it strike you odd that a 3-decade-old, primarily African-American event bills itself "The Circle City Classic," while a predominantly young and white audience watches the 4-year-old "Naptown Rollergirls?"

Truth is, Naptown is just as ubiquitous as Indy or The Circle City. And the usage of each doesn't really have much to do with race or age. Naptown is a popular and beloved nickname used by people of all backgrounds.
I wouldn't go that far, but I do think the name has an interesting history.

Among some people, "Naptown" is somewhat similar to the nickname the "Windy City" for Chicago in that people may be aware of the nickname, but they don't usually know of its origins, and they rarely use it in everyday conversation (they use it more often in music, writing, or media pieces, etc). Hardly anyone says, "I went to the Windy City yesterday," (or for that matter, "I went to Chi-Town yesterday") 99.99% of people say, "I went to Chicago yesterday." But, I think for many people the nickname "Naptown" is much different from the "Windy City" in that it is much less well-known.

However, there is one similarity to the name "Windy City," that the name "Naptown" definitely shares across most groups of people (those who have heard of it, and those who have not), the origins of the nickname don't come from where people would think they do. Naptown originated in the city's African-American community, and specifically the African-American Jazz scene of the 1920's. During the Jazz Era in Indianapolis, the African-American music scene flourished, and the word "Naptown" referred to the unique style of Jazz and Blues music coming from Indianapolis at the time, e.g. Leroy Carr sang a song, "Naptown Blues." Naptown is a play on the "nap" in Indianapolis, similar to how how the same nickname developed for Annapolis. Many decades after the Jazz Era (1960s or 1970s), some people dredged up the old nickname for the city, but they used it in a very different sense to imply that Indianapolis was a "sleepy town." Then, the nickname once again faded away, until the name was revived again in the 1990s, primarily by the African-American community through the local African-American rap scene.

It seems every few years, there is some long discussion on this message board (or Wikipedia, or other sites) about the nickname "Naptown," and whether it is truly a well-known nickname for Indianapolis or not. The fact that debates commonly develop over it is probably proof enough that it has not caught on widely. No one debates whether the "Windy City" is really a well-known nickname for Chicago, although as I suggested above, the nickname is probably used more commonly in writing (or in media pieces about Chicago) than in everyday speech. I guess it doesn't matter. If you think the name is cool, than use it among other people who like the name. If you don't like, then don't use it. In my case, I don't use the nickname often, but I do like the nickname's Jazz roots and the history connected with it. Indianapolis has a very significant African-American heritage, which the city should do more to promote.
kangaroo1 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #3058
IndyYeah

Up here in the Chicago area, Naptown implies that Indianapolis is a sleepy-nothing happening town. The sportscasters and radio people are all over it, and love to talk about nothing happening in Indy. Not my thoughts however.
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #3059
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo1 View Post
Hardly anyone says, ..."I went to Chi-Town yesterday"
What? Tons of people call it Chi-town. (and even Chi-tonw!) Just like Naptown, it's easier to say. They're both the comfortable names for the city. They're the names from the streets.

It's ridiculous to claim that Naptown is not a well-established nickname for Indianapolis. Seriously. Ridiculous. :-)
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #3060
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Up here in the Chicago area, Naptown implies that Indianapolis is a sleepy-nothing happening town. The sportscasters and radio people are all over it, and love to talk about nothing happening in Indy.
Nothing but beating Da Bears mofos!

---

I was in a boutique there a few weeks ago and spied a framed picture of Indiana. Curious I walked toward it, only to make out the words "**** INDIANA," right in the middle. They're not subtle about it. It comes with the Hoosier territory. One either puts up with it or moves to Chicago and gets assimilated.

I like the concept of flipping a previous negative connotation into something hip. It's something the Naptown Rollergirls have done extremely well.

Tags
development, indianapolis