search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #4841
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1136

It is planned to be paid for with a mix of public and private dollars. It is supposed to cost a total of about $15 million for a 350 space garage. $6 million of the cost will be paid for with city funds (from the lease of the parking meters last year) and $9 million in private funds. I believe the city's expenditure will be paid back by some type of tax revenue from the garage in the amount of about $350,000 per year. It is supposed to have some commercial space on the first floor. It is to be located on the SW corner of College and Broad Ripple Ave. I'm not sure what is there now -- it may be a gas station (that may be abandoned) and possibly a cell phone store or tire store or something else kind of small on the corner. The picture of the garage isn't too impressive looking in my opinion. Its about four stories -- pretty basic looking. It has a squared off entrance on the corner with glass -- which I saw a few people were responding in the comments section of the article as looking like a Walgreens. I hope this is helpful. I'm just pretty much pulling this from my memory of the article -- but I think its all fairly accurate.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #4842
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
It is planned to be paid for with a mix of public and private dollars. It is supposed to cost a total of about $15 million for a 350 space garage. $6 million of the cost will be paid for with city funds (from the lease of the parking meters last year) and $9 million in private funds. I believe the city's expenditure will be paid back by some type of tax revenue from the garage in the amount of about $350,000 per year. It is supposed to have some commercial space on the first floor. It is to be located on the SW corner of College and Broad Ripple Ave. I'm not sure what is there now -- it may be a gas station (that may be abandoned) and possibly a cell phone store or tire store or something else kind of small on the corner. The picture of the garage isn't too impressive looking in my opinion. Its about four stories -- pretty basic looking. It has a squared off entrance on the corner with glass -- which I saw a few people were responding in the comments section of the article as looking like a Walgreens. I hope this is helpful. I'm just pretty much pulling this from my memory of the article -- but I think its all fairly accurate.

City announces $15M Broad Ripple parking garage

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...t|IndyStar.com
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #4843
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
This just has "missed opportunity" written all over it. A parking garage with the canal and the towpath immediately to the north? For this parcel, Broad Ripple could have done so much better.

This exact structure could have served as an infill space, taking up the parking lot in front of the Broad Ripple strip mall on the east side of the avenue. I know that the owner of that parcel would have never allowed such a thing, but this sort of structure could have functioned quite effectively there. Here, it seems like a nose-thumbing at all the principles involved in determining a highest and best use, so I guess it should come as no surprise that it's a largely publicly funded initiative.
AmericanDirt no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #4844
houseofcors

Likes (Received): 4

Light rail usage in medium sized midwest cities

I found this interesting posting in the Milwaukee devo section by Splat8. Milwaukee is also wrestling with the possibility of lightrail transportation. It is sobering info on usage of light rail in other cities of similar size. If light rail was used by Indy residents as in other cities about 10 to 40 thousand riders per day could be expected (at most 2% of the population rides light rail). Multimodal may make more sense given those projections. Here are the figures for light rail usage elsewhere.

Population of Metro Cleveland - 2,250,871 people
Cleveland Blue and Green Lines - 18 miles of track 12,400 Daily Ridership
Percentage of population that uses light rail on a daily basis .5%

Population of Metro St. Louis - 2,779,939 people
St. Louis Metrolink - 46 miles of track 61,573 Daily Ridership
Percentage of population that uses light rail on a daily basis 2%

Population of Metro Twin Cities - 3,269,814 people
Hiawatha Line (Minneapolis) - 12.3 miles of track 33,500 Daily Ridership
Percentage of population that uses light rail on a daily basis 1%

Population of Metro Pittsburgh - 2,365,285 people
Pittsburgh Light Rail - 25 miles of track 25,200 Daily Ridership
houseofcors no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #4845
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcors View Post
I found this interesting posting in the Milwaukee devo section by Splat8. Milwaukee is also wrestling with the possibility of lightrail transportation. It is sobering info on usage of light rail in other cities of similar size. If light rail was used by Indy residents as in other cities about 10 to 40 thousand riders per day could be expected (at most 2% of the population rides light rail). Multimodal may make more sense given those projections. Here are the figures for light rail usage elsewhere.

Population of Metro Cleveland - 2,250,871 people
Cleveland Blue and Green Lines - 18 miles of track 12,400 Daily Ridership
Percentage of population that uses light rail on a daily basis .5%

Population of Metro St. Louis - 2,779,939 people
St. Louis Metrolink - 46 miles of track 61,573 Daily Ridership
Percentage of population that uses light rail on a daily basis 2%

Population of Metro Twin Cities - 3,269,814 people
Hiawatha Line (Minneapolis) - 12.3 miles of track 33,500 Daily Ridership

Population of Metro Pittsburgh - 2,365,285 people
Pittsburgh Light Rail - 25 miles of track 25,200 Daily Ridership
Well, that should be of no surprise. Most of those cities have a single line serving a single corridor. Unless all the people in those cities drive on that one corridor I wouldn't expect a single light rail line to make a huge dent in how people get around.

A city needs an expansive network (see New York, Boston, Chicago, DC) with multiple lines to generate high ridership.
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #4846
GarfieldPark

The top 12 design ideas for the Indianapolis "Circle Re-design" competition are supposed to be unveiled tomorrow. People can vote on them to select the "people's choice" winner. I saw a few of the posters being put up on the Circle today -- showing the finalists, I guess. I tried to find more info on the web site - but didn't have any luck so far. I'm sure there will be more info on this soon.
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #4847
GarfieldPark

Drove through Fountain Square tonight and saw that Revolucion Cafe was open. Looks very good. Cool lighting inside - with smoky, yellow walls. The live music section must be behind the front bar area - because you couldn't see a large open music hall area when driving by from the street.

Also --- one of the downtown clubs -- I believe it is Sensu -- is redoing a part of their front facade. They are removing some wood that covered a beautiful arched window and doorway area on the first floor. It is looking much better than before.
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #4848
GarfieldPark

Circle Redesign Competition:

http://photos.indystar.com/galleries...tion-finalists
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #4849
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

I really like the idea of getting rid of the huge fountain pools in some of the designs. Also reducing the "street" to single lane, maybe with some smaller passing lane/pockets at the intersections would be great. More space, more trees, and less of a "base" to the monument would help make the are feel like a useable park instead of just a monument.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4850
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
I really like the idea of getting rid of the huge fountain pools in some of the designs. Also reducing the "street" to single lane, maybe with some smaller passing lane/pockets at the intersections would be great. More space, more trees, and less of a "base" to the monument would help make the are feel like a useable park instead of just a monument.
As the fountains pools are part of the original design of the Monument (I realize they have been reconstructed in subsequent renovations, but they have always been part of the design since they were originally installed in 1897, four years before the Monument was fully completed), I doubt very much the state, which owns the building, would ever approve having them removed.

I do think all of the finalist plans are very interesting, but I know most of them will be tossed because they are either never going to be approved or would be too expensive to build. I believe the 12th plan (in the order of the slide show presentation on the Star's website) is the one most likely to be implemented because it appears to involve the least amount of reconstruction to the Circle area. A light renovation coupled with more event programming and additional retail establishments fronting the Circle would make an already good urban area even better.
kangaroo1 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #4851
GarfieldPark

Speaking of the Indy Pride parade and festival last weekend (from a few posts back) -- here is a photo thread from the Indy Star / Metromix showing a few photos (actually a LOT of photos) from the day:

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/eve...667439/content
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4852
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 361

I remember when we had to pay for security in order to have the Gay Pride Parade on Munument Circle. My partner belonged to a men's club and they had events in order to raise the money to pay for security. Glad to see it has come such a long way.
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4853
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 361

Spell Check!! Monument.
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #4854
Resident

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Speaking of the Indy Pride parade and festival last weekend (from a few posts back) -- here is a photo thread from the Indy Star / Metromix showing a few photos (actually a LOT of photos) from the day:

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/eve...667439/content
So glad I was back in town for this! Had a blast.
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #4855
BosartBrown

Likes (Received): 0

If anyone's interested in signing: CIRTA put their petition up online to influence the 2012 Indiana General Assembly to put the mass transit referenda on the ballot. Whether or not you agree with the current transit plan many of the lawmakers need to wake up and realize that transit IS a major issue for cities like Indianapolis.

http://www.cirta.us
BosartBrown no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #4856
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosartBrown View Post
If anyone's interested in signing: CIRTA put their petition up online to influence the 2012 Indiana General Assembly to put the mass transit referenda on the ballot. Whether or not you agree with the current transit plan many of the lawmakers need to wake up and realize that transit IS a major issue for cities like Indianapolis.

http://www.cirta.us
Done. Thanks for the link.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #4857
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Done. Thanks for the link.
I signed as well!
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #4858
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
I signed as well!
And me.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #4859
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1293

Monument Circle

It's hard to tell from the low-quality and disorganized graphics on IndyStar and IBJ websites just exactly what all the Monument Circle finalists are suggesting. It seems as if Ratio and Haus and Greg Meckstroth address the real issues. Perhaps others do too, but the majority of the submissions seem to rely on massive realignment of the space.

Major physical redesign of the Circle is like doing major plastic surgery on a single, already-attractive person who doesn't go out on dates: you can do it, but it is pointless and doesn't address "the problem".

Redesigning the Circle won't draw people there. Period, full stop.

I will say flat out: I'm a hands-on, design-biased person. I love cool places and spaces for their own sake, as art or sculpture: lines, angles, materials, textures, colors, views, light, shadows, reflections. But remaking Monument Circle isn't about all those things; they have little to do with PEOPLE in a space. What's called for here is a full-on Project for Public Spaces "Placemaking" exercise. Tweak the space, but for heaven's sake, PROGRAM IT fully.

Making different interesting things happen all the time is what will draw people consistently. It will make people curious about "what's happening today" and encourage people just to hang out there.

This is a programming and marketing problem. Yes, there's probably some tinkering around the edges necessary with the design. But a radical overhaul of the space will be just another layer of bricks and bollards and benches.

When a play or musical is staged at a theatre, the director and producer will tinker with the setting. But theatres are not routinely face-lifted or remodeled extensively for every different show.

Monument Circle needs to be programmed like a theatre. It needs a "producer" and a stable of directors and some set designers, not a new architect and a major remodel. It needs to become an experience, a happening, on top of being an already great space.

[rant off]
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #4860
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1162

Some of the proposals are ridiculous.
Monument circle is not only a monument to war veterans, but also a monument to symmetry. The perfect circular shape and how everything radiates perfectly from that is one of the things that makes it so wonderful, yet many of the proposals actually suggest that we should mess that up and take away what makes the circle, a circle. Some even included the removal of the massive fountains.
We donít want to completely redo the circle; we just want to improve what is there. With all the spaces around the city that actually need dramatically changed, they pick the one place that is already wonderful?
My only complaint about Monument circle was traffic and the difficulty of getting around, not the aesthetics.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis