daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #841
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The gardening project won. The East 10th St. narrative murals also received some special funding from LISC and CICF.

By the way, the guy who presented the bike racks idea is ablerock on this forum.

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #842
flavius

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
I think the days of being able to enter a Federal building of any kind with out going through security are long gone. Being able to drive inside of them is even crazier. I like the idea of an old school grand central station feel to an Indianapolis bus hub, but putting it inside of the Federal Court house, as you said, is preposterous.

I think that the old city county building that was demolished when the current city county build was finished would have been great for this concept...

Maybe the old Indiana State Museum (I think... the interim library) could be altered to create a similar kind of station.
OK, new plan: put the Federal Court in the old State Museum building first.

Even more preposterous: after the commuter rail from Fishers has been around for many years and is a proven success, run the last leg of it under Ohio Street, and make it a train station too.
flavius no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #843
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Ablerock.... what is your bike rack idea? I helped install the black U's up and down Mass Ave. I ride a lot so I am interested!

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #844
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

Thanks Arenn for providing the results of the PechaKucha event. I think the urban garden at WRSP will be a wonderful thing. It will be located right where so many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people will see it - and will help spread the message of great urban gardening. She (the winner) was on the cover of NUVO two weeks ago for her leadership with the new Winter Market in Chatham Arch. She definitely is another great person to have in our community - excellently representing the new/next generation. Also --- Thanks for your help setting it up / judging / whatever else your involvement was with the event Arenn.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #845
mmheidelberger
Matt

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigley View Post
Carl, I follow you on Flickr and have been drooling over your work since you shot the fire at the Cosmo. I still hate music on sites but your work makes up for it. It's great to see Indy's beauty captured by great talent.

Great work! Keep updating your Flickr
Conratulations of having said photograph published in the CaptureIndy book!
mmheidelberger no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #846
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1422

Preposterous Idea II:

Get rid of the downtown bus rodeo and use streetcars instead.

Start with a downtown circulator to replace the bus rodeo.

Create an east-west loop on Washington/Maryland from CCB/Jail/Conseco to WRSP/Zoo (utilizing the old Washington St. Bridge), and a north-south loop on Meridian from South St. to The Children's Museum. These would connect the most important parts of the tourist/convention infrastructure in a novel (some would say preposterous) way.

Allow IndyGo buslines to "touch and go" (i.e. exit the loop upon dropoff and pickup at a single point) to increase frequency without increasing driver/operating time messing around in the rodeo loop; create some separated bus-and-streetcar-only lanes on Ohio, Maryland, Capitol, and Delaware.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #847
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Thanks Arenn for providing the results of the PechaKucha event. I think the urban garden at WRSP will be a wonderful thing. It will be located right where so many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people will see it - and will help spread the message of great urban gardening. She (the winner) was on the cover of NUVO two weeks ago for her leadership with the new Winter Market in Chatham Arch. She definitely is another great person to have in our community - excellently representing the new/next generation. Also --- Thanks for your help setting it up / judging / whatever else your involvement was with the event Arenn.
Are the PK slideshows available online anywhere?
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #848
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
Preposterous Idea II:

Create an east-west loop on Washington/Maryland from CCB/Jail/Conseco to WRSP/Zoo (utilizing the old Washington St. Bridge), and a north-south loop on Meridian from South St. to The Children's Museum. These would connect the most important parts of the tourist/convention infrastructure in a novel (some would say preposterous) way.

Allow IndyGo buslines to "touch and go" (i.e. exit the loop upon dropoff and pickup at a single point) to increase frequency without increasing driver/operating time messing around in the rodeo loop; create some separated bus-and-streetcar-only lanes on Ohio, Maryland, Capitol, and Delaware.
Street Cars.... what a modern idea! Would that really put indy into the 21st century!

I live near a power substation in meridian park that apparently used to supply part of our trolley car system that was so ingeniously sold to Brazil and replaced with diesel buses in the 60/70's (?)

It would be like looking 50 years backward into the future! I love it.

indianapolis-interurban-electric-streetcar-traction-terminal-was-world-s-largest-amp-busiest.aspx

In all seriousness... I like the idea, we need this or something like it!

Old November 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #849
flavius

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Preposterous Idea II:

What is the advantage of streetcars over electric buses? I once rode around San Francisco for 5 days on electric buses with no problem...then the one time I tried to take a cable car it got stuck behind a double-parked car because it couldn't change lanes.
flavius no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #850
quigley
Brandon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
What is the advantage of streetcars over electric buses? I once rode around San Francisco for 5 days on electric buses with no problem...then the one time I tried to take a cable car it got stuck behind a double-parked car because it couldn't change lanes.
The buses in SF also have issues when they disconnect from the overhead power lines and cause downtime. Happened a couple times with me. In the end, every system has its downsides.
quigley no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #851
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Preposterous Idea II:

Aside from using the old Wash St bridge, all of that can and should be done. Not preposterous at all.
Mr Peanut no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #852
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
For me there is a lot to be said for the permanency of a street car. Since you can actually see the tracks people know where it goes. I know it is just psychological... but I think it does make a difference when you are trying to change a car culture into a transit culture.

The traffic lights, timing, and frequency of service can all be improved with actual rail. There are no numbers and obscure routes on a circulator, and being different from the bus system helps people to know they are not on their way to greenwood when they were trying to get to iupui. (I know it sounds stupid, but the simpler and easier the system is to understand the more people who would not normally use it in Indianapolis will use it. People who have never learned about our bus system don't just wake up and decide to study our screwed up hub and spoke system in the odd case that they might want to us public transportation.) It could be a good "bridge" to an extensive LR system.

When I visited Huston I rode on the light rail street car system... and never rode on a bus. Same thing in SF. The same with Chi, NY, and DC... (Though those are very extensive commuter rail systems.)

The quality of ride on a bus also sucks... and I think they have a pretty negative image among typical car centered people in Indianapolis. When i tell some one that I will just take the bus 9 out of 10 times I get a crazy look or someone expresses their concern for my safety. (Ignorance)

There are definitely places that use bus rapid transit systems, but they usually have the room to create dedicated bus lanes and they have great bus terminal facilities that rival most subway/LR stations.

At first glance electric buses seem like they would be comparable in cost to a streetcar system. Big batteries for electric buses are very expensive and they have a relatively short life span. The infrastructure for rail is also expensive, but it lasts much longer and the trains/ street cars are very low maintenance. I can't say for sure, but it seems like replacing fleets of buses and batteries over 75 years can be just as expensive as making an upfront investment and building something with more longevity. It also seems like the labor operating costs of rail could be cheaper because you can always just add another car instead of needing another bus driver.

Just my thoughts...

Old November 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #853
cailes

Likes (Received): 102

Off topic, but it appears the rest of Allisonville Road is ready to be marked for bike lanes. they have had them spray painted in all this week and I finally saw the bike lane signs appear yesterday.

Also, concerning bike lanes, its very frustrating on NY trying to watch out for the other cars. I feel like people cannot follow the lanes correctly. I almost got side swiped last night by someone not paying attention to how the auto lanes move back and forth
cailes no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #854
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Off topic, but it appears the rest of Allisonville Road is ready to be marked for bike lanes. they have had them spray painted in all this week and I finally saw the bike lane signs appear yesterday.
Have any pictures? Would love to get something up on the indycog about it.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #855
cailes

Not at the moment. Im usually hauling ass to get to school or work. I can snap some on the way home today and get them to you this weekend. I always have a camera with me, so I will stop on the way home tonight.

Got an email address or is there one on indy cog that would be suitable to get at ya?
cailes no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #856
arenn

Some of the previous PK events were You Tube'd, but I'm not aware of the slides being anywhere unless the presenters posted them themselves.
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #857
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Not at the moment. Im usually hauling ass to get to school or work. I can snap some on the way home today and get them to you this weekend. I always have a camera with me, so I will stop on the way home tonight.

Got an email address or is there one on indy cog that would be suitable to get at ya?
benjamin AT theindycog DOT com

That'll work. Obviously we will credit you and provide a link to your blog (which I read by the way, good stuff!)
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #858
cailes

Sent ya an email. Hope they work for ya.
cailes no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #859
arenn

Very cool "dream map" of transit in Columbus:

http://tyznik.com/transportation/tramtrain/
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #860
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

I've mentioned previously that I think Washington Street should be transformed into a beautiful boulevard and should become the spine of the cultural trail… I think it would be great to return Maryland and Washington Streets back into 2-ways and connect Maryland into Washington Street at simple 4-way, urban intersections. On the east side, the current configuration of this one-couplet renders the block bound by Washington, New Jersey, Maryland and Alabama an inhospitable island of surface parking surrounded by auto-oriented, one-way auto gutters. Joining Maryland at the New Jersey/Washington Street intersection would improve circulation, create a consistent streetscape on Washington, increase real estate values and add a lot of on-street parking.

I understand this configuration would slow traffic... even so, I think that would be a net positive. In any case, Washington Street is a two-way, four lane street on both sides of downtown and Maryland doesn't even exist outside of the mile-square. I don’t think this would be unreasonable.

Maryland terminating into the Washington/New Jersey intersection:
image hosted on flickr

Maryland terminating into the Washington/New Jersey intersection:
image hosted on flickr

Possible integration of the Cultural Trail onto Washington Street
image hosted on flickr
:
thehoss257 no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis