search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1841
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 455

The Clarian Bed Tower is definitely planned for 14+ stories -- that inset is incorrect. Here's a larger rendering from my blog:

I only had IBJ by, oh, 5 weeks on this one.

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #1842
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Its bizarre how that poster they are holding in the picture above looks like it could be a view of a new intersection out in the middle of Clinton County. It looks like its way out in the countryside -- and not three miles from the heart of downtown. There are no buildings in sight in the poster. Strange. Hopefully these improvements will be taken care of better than the gateway improvements at the 29th / 30th street interstate on/off ramps to nearby I-65. Last summer those nice improvements were all overgrown with weeds and nobody cleaned up the trash that blew down into that area.
Coincidentally, I just saw a group of a dozen or more people cleaning up the area around the 29th St. off-ramp earlier today.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1843
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
How did I miss that?
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #1844
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 116

Why would a hospital tower need balconies? My feeling about this plan is that Clarian obviously wants to build new so they can demolish some old. They don't want to be outdone by the new wishard. I love the old hospital buildings along Capital and would hate to see them demolished. If clarian wants to build new thats fine, but I think some of the older, more architectually significant hospital buildings should be sold off for redevelopment. This would be an ideal place for apartments/low price condos.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #1845
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

If I were in the hospital for an extended period, a common area with a balcony seems like it would be nice. A little access to the outside world/ fresh air. Hospitals don't have to always be over utilitarian. I really like all of the competition between the hospitals. It is really raising standards in our city.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #1846
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Why did the plan by the picture say 6-8 stories? Won't start until 2012.

Yes, I saw the inset, thank you. However, the rendering is clearly a 14 floor tower, you might also notice that it is about twice the hieght of the building next to it. So, you think it might be a little bit taller than 6-8 floors? Also, if we look at a couple of examples of the newer hospital construction in the city the floor to ceiling height seems to range from 18-21 feet per floor. Therefore it could Potentiallly be up to 336 feet tall, which would be cool.
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #1847
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
The Clarian Bed Tower is definitely planned for 14+ stories -- that inset is incorrect. Here's a larger rendering from my blog:

Thank you, and thanks for the enlarged rendering.
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #1848
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1158

CorrND: "Coincidentally, I just saw a group of a dozen or more people cleaning up the area around the 29th St. off-ramp earlier today."

Great to know there was some clean up occurring up there in UNWA (United Northwest Area). Today was a designated clean up day for a lot of neighborhoods around the city. We did a nice job in a few of the neighborhoods around Garfield Park.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #1849
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
Why would a hospital tower need balconies? My feeling about this plan is that Clarian obviously wants to build new so they can demolish some old. They don't want to be outdone by the new wishard. I love the old hospital buildings along Capital and would hate to see them demolished. If clarian wants to build new thats fine, but I think some of the older, more architectually significant hospital buildings should be sold off for redevelopment. This would be an ideal place for apartments/low price condos.
Agreed, I like the existing art-deco building... There are plenty of ugly buildings on the campus that I wouldn't mind seeing get torn down. The existing structure in additon to the other historic buildings create a nice street wall, one of the best in Indy. The tower would be a great addition if sited in a different location.

image hosted on flickr
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #1850
thehoss257

Are they seriously considering tearing down all of the buildings that I have highlighted in yellow?

image hosted on flickr
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1851
thehoss257

It would be nice if the would use any of the areas highlighted in red for their new tower.

image hosted on flickr
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #1852
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin R View Post
Yes, I saw the inset, thank you. However, the rendering is clearly a 14 floor tower, you might also notice that it is about twice the hieght of the building next to it. So, you think it might be a little bit taller than 6-8 floors? Also, if we look at a couple of examples of the newer hospital construction in the city the floor to ceiling height seems to range from 18-21 feet per floor. Therefore it could Potentiallly be up to 336 feet tall, which would be cool.
Great, I hope that it is higher than 6-8 floors. I know projects in the city many times are not what they appear. But, I guess anything can happen in 2 years with this tower.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1853
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
Are they seriously considering tearing down all of the buildings that I have highlighted in yellow?

image hosted on flickr
My understanding from the article is that they are just planning on tearing down the 9-story late-period Art-Deco-style building, which would be the highlighted building on the right of the photo when looking at it head on.

I think it is better to reuse older buildings when possible. Even though I wouldn't consider this particular building anything special, it would be nice if it could be reused and the new tower sited elsewhere. However, I am sure Clarian wants the new patient tower to be more centrally located in the Methodist campus, which is probably why they aren't considering building it along the periphery.
kangaroo1 no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #1854
thehoss257

From this rendering, all that is left on the block is the original building and the new tower which seems a bit out of scale and is of course set back from the street. I'm glad the designer had the foresight to put a lawn in front of the new tower... Patients will no doubt enjoy frequent cookouts and bad mitten tournaments in that space.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by thehoss257; April 19th, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #1855
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

Dont forget throwing darts at your face on a board
cailes no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1856
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
If you read the article, there are patient privacy/HIPAA and contagion-containment issues with two-bed hospital rooms, which obsoletes the old "semi-private" rooms. In order to handle the same number of patients, one must drastically increase the number of rooms.

Also...a patient tower must be located centrally in a hospital campus so that access to all the various specialty wings is relatively straightforward.

And campus is the magic word for Methodist. The hospital has been expanding for 100 years, ever since it was built, building and rebuilding. As pointed out in the article, the neuroscience functions will move south across 16th St. to a new building that breaks ground later this year (on a current surface parking lot). It would be silly to sell off buildings at the heart of the campus during an expansion phase.

This is great news for the near north and Bio-Crossroads development area. If one looks at the skyline from downtown, there are two evident dense development "cubes" full of mid-rises: the area from IUPUI Campus Center north, encompassing the VA/Wishard/Riley/IU hospital corridor along 10th, and the area from the head of the canal up to about 20th St. along Capitol and Senate. It won't take much more for the two to join: the Buckingham redevelopment of the Fall Creek Y, and the McFarling Foods site just north of I-65 would fill in gaps.

Imagine driving into downtown from the north, flanked by mid-rises close to I-65 starting at 16th and continuing past Meridian. No real need for the big loop-de-loop gateway: the buildings will serve the purpose.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1857
mmheidelberger
Matt

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post

image hosted on flickr
I would live the see that faux pyramid building below the highlighted building on the left; IMO, one of the ugliest structures in the city!
mmheidelberger no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1858
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1158

I second that emotion
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #1859
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

third! I think that pyramid thingie is HORRIBLE
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1860
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

When I was young my uncle told me that the Pyramid building was built floor by floor on the ground. They would build one floor and then jack the whole structure up and build the next one underneath... Any one else heard this?

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis