search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #5501
L2
Train to bintang land

Likes (Received): 376

You know what Eddy, the best thing for you would be to quit pitching this idea in Australia, brush up on your language skills and board the next Air China flight out of Sydney. Take it to somewhere where they might listen.

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #5502
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3252

Also Eddy, resource mining has very different skill sets to innovative underground train ideas. Yes there are some overlaps, such as working with geology etc, but there are so many areas where there is no overlap.

I feel this is also where you have a a major skill gap that needs filling first.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #5503
eddyb

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
You know what Eddy, the best thing for you would be to quit pitching this idea in Australia, brush up on your language skills and board the next Air China flight out of Sydney. Take it to somewhere where they might listen.
Thanks mate I could do that but as they are coming over here to learn off us it may be better to do it here first so we can sell the technology.

Last edited by eddyb; October 10th, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
eddyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #5504
eddyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
Also Eddy, resource mining has very different skill sets to innovative underground train ideas. Yes there are some overlaps, such as working with geology etc, but there are so many areas where there is no overlap.

I feel this is also where you have a a major skill gap that needs filling first.
I spent 25 years in underground mining and have been to a conference in Sydney where an American mine manager came to pick our brains.

There will be tremendous advances in underground tunnelling and we have a golden opportunity to use or lose our knowledge but ultimately it will be up to the public to decide.

Agreed I do not know much about trains but as tunnels are most of the cost for maglev does that really matter.

Just like to add this link to show that rather than putting a compressor on every Hyperloop pod an electrically driven jet compressor would easily pull the 5 million m3 of 1 torr air out in the same direction as the train. https://cs.stanford.edu/people/erobe...lanes/how.html

Last edited by eddyb; October 10th, 2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #5505
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1009

I'll try to be positive for a change. Eddy, it's great that you have given some thought to how to improve tunnelling, as Musk has. I do agree some radical thinking is required.

So I'll give you some advice only slightly less outrageous than your idea.

Go to Japan or Sweden or even Northern California. Propose something concrete and specific at some research institutions that are well funded for this. Australia is NOT the place. It is a resource extraction colony with an attached retirement village.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #5506
eddyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
I'll try to be positive for a change. Eddy, it's great that you have given some thought to how to improve tunnelling, as Musk has. I do agree some radical thinking is required.

So I'll give you some advice only slightly less outrageous than your idea.

Go to Japan or Sweden or even Northern California. Propose something concrete and specific at some research institutions that are well funded for this. Australia is NOT the place. It is a resource extraction colony with an attached retirement village.
Thanks mate but at 72 years old I doubt that I would see it even if it was started tomorrow but I do have kids and grandkids but ultimately people get the government they deserve but I don't think relying on export minerals will cut it or even shonky financial centres.

Checking out the old Lancaster bombers my dad worked on and as my brother says the only way to stop a bully is with a bigger stick but I sure hope people all over the world don't start an arms race when there is so much real need.
Old October 11th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #5507
BobMarcH

Likes (Received): 0

Total lies. You're not 72 years old, you don't have kids, never mind grandkids, you've never worked in a mine or driven a truck, your father wouldn't even know what a Lancaster Bomber was and you don't have a brother. All of this is easily proven so why don't you stop the lies!

What will happen if Magtube breaks down in the middle of the tube and a carriage full of young muscular business men, all hot and sweaty with the lack of ventilation, get bored and start to lose control? It'll be hours before the police can get in to break up the party with their long black truncheons. Plus there's the question of ticket machines; the queues will be horrendous and people will be tempted to just jump aboard without a ticket, especially as you've promised there'll be no inspectors. And you said no money on maintenance because it's free. What happens when a fist sized chunk of cement drops from the unmaintained roof onto the track, wriggled free from the vibrations and air pressure results of your magtrain, and then the next service hits it at 1000 kph. Whammo and goodbye to 2000 passengers! That's what happens. I'm also surprised you haven't spotted a simple way to reduce your construction costs by 30% and increase revenue by 15% without increasing fares. It's a simple trick but you obviously haven't seen it.
BobMarcH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #5508
lukeyp

Likes (Received): 466

wtf

eddyb, pintpot liked this post
lukeyp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #5509
BobMarcH

Likes (Received): 0

Eddy's real identity and the true meaning of his project can found here. https://www.davidicke.com/article/37...tal-underworld
All the signs are there.
BobMarcH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #5510
L2
Train to bintang land

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyb View Post
Thanks mate but at 72 years old I doubt that I would see it even if it was started tomorrow but I do have kids and grandkids but ultimately people get the government they deserve but I don't think relying on export minerals will cut it or even shonky financial centres.
More reason to get on the next plane out of here. You've been flogging Parrahub (and now Magtube) on sites like Bus Australia and Railpage for nearly a decade now.

Why not go to the United Arab Emirates and convince some emiratis to build a magtube from Dubai to Abu Dhabi to Doha?

All you're doing here is creating something for people on gunzel forums to laugh at

L2 who has been frequenting these websites for too long now
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #5511
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1009

I'll disregard the identity issue. If people do not want to reveal their identities I'm happy to respect that - and if they choose to lie about their lives they will have to carry that burden themselves.

I treat Eddy as the voice crying in the wilderness - doesn't mean he's right and in fact his idea is poorly thought through - but then rich men like Musk are talking about similar (but not the same) thing so I will wait and see.

I also believe the 1820s technology of steel wheel on steel rail has a finite limit, but we have not reached the limit, nor found a viable alternative yet.

KJBrissy liked this post
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #5512
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 665

Meanwhile back in the real world...

https://infrastructure.gov.au/rail/trains/faster_rail/

The Faster Rail Prospectus closes today.

The 50/50 funding split pretty much ensures no conforming bids (perhaps with the exception of CLARA).
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #5513
eddyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post

The 50/50 funding split pretty much ensures no conforming bids (perhaps with the exception of CLARA).
But are you talking about the real world now or in ten years time https://www.fastcompany.com/40480085...-hyperloop-one.

I wish I knew how to contact him because if he put up the required 50% that would only be $15b the feds would have to find for Magtube.
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #5514
KJBrissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post

I also received an email to say that Clara was participating in the process.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #5515
eddyb

Quote:
I also received an email to say that Clara was participating in the process.
Yes I received one too but as Japanese rail are involved I am not sure if they want to use Maglev or HSR.

The HSR will only be able to run at reduced speeds on hot days and the atmospheric Maglev uses 20% bigger tunnels with 20% smaller trains which makes them a bit expensive.

What a guy told me who knows a farmer near Yass is they give them $1 to not sell their land to anybody but them and the farmer will make millions when the towns are built but I think that all depends on if we can attract the number of immigrants who want to live in smaller towns as they mainly want to live in larger cities.
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #5516
KJBrissy

I dread to ask, but when a good chunk of rail tunnels are associated services and evacuation points, and with Maglev essentially replacing the same space of overhead wires with infrastructure at the bottom, how do you get 20% saving?
It also doesn't account for the fact that at grade running will be cheaper than tunneling outside of the cities regardless of your tunnel size. What's the longest walk for passengers at any point along the line to evacuate? This to me is the biggest issue. You require an evacuation, therefore you need to remove the almost vacuum, this creates an opportunity for fire. Therefore you need to evacuate passengers out of the travel corridor to another, whether it's in the same bore or not. I can't feasible figure out how this is possible.
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #5517
eddyb

Quote:
I dread to ask, but when a good chunk of rail tunnels are associated services and evacuation points, and with Maglev essentially replacing the same space of overhead wires with infrastructure at the bottom, how do you get 20% saving?
It also doesn't account for the fact that at grade running will be cheaper than tunneling outside of the cities regardless of your tunnel size. What's the longest walk for passengers at any point along the line to evacuate? This to me is the biggest issue. You require an evacuation, therefore you need to remove the almost vacuum, this creates an opportunity for fire. Therefore you need to evacuate passengers out of the travel corridor to another, whether it's in the same bore or not. I can't feasible figure out how this is possible.

As you can see from this link the Japanese atmospheric tunnels are twice as wide as Magtube http://uic.org/cdrom/2006/wcrr2006/pdf/388.pdf

And this link shows that you lose one seat per row with the 20% smaller trains http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3843685.html

Here it says the only escape is on a walkway each side of the single tunnel http://www.northeastmaglev.com/frequ...about-scmaglev

Let us compare escape to airplanes who because they have no escape they do not carry flammable material except perhaps a bit of jet fuel ha ha

Magtube carriages would be constructed without windows and strong enough to not only be pressurised but fireproof and so people would wait in safety till the tunnel is repressurised and help arrives just like in a very tall building. http://gulfnews.com/business/propert...alifa-1.562336

Last edited by eddyb; October 13th, 2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: originally it put depressurised when i typed repressurised
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:47 AM   #5518
KJBrissy

So what happens if there is an emergency in the vehicle and the vehicle needs to be evacuated quickly?
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #5519
eddyb

Quote:
So what happens if there is an emergency in the vehicle and the vehicle needs to be evacuated quickly?
Probably the same as a plane, tough luck.

The only thing is if everything is non combustible and each carriage is limited to the same number as a bus it would reduce the number exposed.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees in life.
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #5520
KJBrissy

As a result, you'll need the same screening as you do at airports, increasing the time and cost.

Tags
all stations to penrith, australia, maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz, rail, via kogarah