daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #35701
brewcitymilwaukee
Registered User
 
brewcitymilwaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE the GOAT View Post
"Milwaukee 7 to pitch for Amazon.com's HQ2"

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...-coms-hq2.html

Looks like were gonna give it the ol' college try.
All I can get from the free content is they are pitching multiple sites. I cannot believe they are that dense. Amazon explicitly asked for each area to consolidate their pitch to 1 site. This is like giving them a resume with way too much information that they asked not to include. There are 50 other cities that meet the Criteria for this. I guarentee you they don't want to look at 5 spots for each city. I bet you other areas will have incentives, with 1 site, and a plan for transit. Instead here we are just ignoring the rules, and saying, "hey, here are a bunch of random spots you could be at." That's how your resume gets thrown out at first glance.
__________________

Last edited by brewcitymilwaukee; October 11th, 2017 at 11:52 PM.
brewcitymilwaukee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:28 AM   #35702
Ngraabe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Town of lake, Milwaukee
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post
I'm referring to police and firemen unions. He never touched them. That's why police/firemen, and teachers in the city absolutely hate each other.

I've heard some teachers I know get excited about the firemen cuts because they "deserve it, and should lose part of their pension and health care just like them."

Walker is a selective union buster. It worked in his favor. The unions that oppose him are dead, and now Wisconsin is a red state. The democrats in Wisconsin would always win with unions, it was their greatest stength.

The unions that were taken out were very much liberal leaning. I'm not sure if any that support conservatives were hit. Either way, he knows how to play the game.
The police and firefighters thought they were untouchable while my colleagues and I were attacked publically by the gov. It might not be looked at as union busting, but I'm sure the gov.is behind this through funding cuts to local municipalities or something so that it appears that its local government pulling the plug and I against public safety, then perhaps the gov. Will come in at the last minute with extra money to"save" the day. (Sarcasm somewhat present with the last statement).
Ngraabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:15 AM   #35703
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chiwaukee
Posts: 543
Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post
I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the "mainstream media" in Milwaukee is really what is hurting the city. The journal sentinel, and the 4 big nightly news are completely garbage. Every story is purely to get people upset so they buy more from them.

Thank god millenials don't watch the nightly news, or pay for the Journal Sentinel. Those sources of media deserve to die.

I really appreciate Business Times, Gazette, Urban Milwaukee, and some of the other smaller papers for actually reporting on facts not emotion.
Serious rant forthcoming....

I reluctantly have to agree. In order to get viewers, the media is very negative. That approach works in NY, Chicago and LA but if you spend time in cities #4-30, it is boosterism at its finest. I cringe when I know that a large conference is in town and the JS headlines stories about crime and chaos. How does that help in any meaningful way?

I believe you can and should get positive results without those headlines as those headlines perpetuate whatever image outsiders have.

I know some will say that Chicago does the same thing but we are not Chicago. In Chicago inertia barely reduces the reason to "say no" while in Milwaukee, due due much lower status, it is a viewed as an objection to say yes. Fair? No but that's how it works.

It just seems to me that cities all across the Nation, particularly in the SE, SW and NW are much better at this.

Just spent the past eeekend in Portland. Don't even get me going. I was happy to see that area booming, but man, we have a long way to go. Vibrant would be an understatement. A community needs mojo. Some cities have mojo and some are really self-doubting. I know we have issues in MKE that PDX doesn't have (demographics) but we need to be "all in" in creating as much positive buzz that we can to create the impression that things are good. Coming back, the local news doesn't seem to be assisting in that regard. Maybe its our Midwest modesty?
__________________

infill liked this post
Crankbaiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #35704
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chiwaukee
Posts: 543
Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post
All I can get from the free content is they are pitching multiple sites. I cannot believe they are that dense. Amazon explicitly asked for each area to consolidate their pitch to 1 site. This is like giving them a resume with way too much information that they asked not to include. There are 50 other cities that meet the Criteria for this. I guarentee you they don't want to look at 5 spots for each city. I bet you other areas will have incentives, with 1 site, and a plan for transit. Instead here we are just ignoring the rules, and saying, "hey, here are a bunch of random spots you could be at." That's how your resume gets thrown out at first glance.
What are the sites?
Crankbaiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:23 AM   #35705
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chiwaukee
Posts: 543
Likes (Received): 507

If what is true about fire statistics, perhaps we should have been reducing staffing or many years before now. Acting too slowly not only leads to high costs in the current year but burgeoning legacy costs for pension and health benefits.

This exactly why private sector companies view each and every headcount so critically. The legacy costs plus the fringe benefit cost kill the bottom line.

I'm not an expert on fire incidence, but we should applaud the fact that it is being examined and rightsized.
__________________

MKE-bound, mbradleyc, MKERevival liked this post
Crankbaiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #35706
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 756
Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbaiter View Post
What are the sites?
In the article it mentions 100 acre sites in Waukesha County and on South 27th Street between West Oakwood Road and County Line Road in Franklin (they say in the article it would make sense for them to skew towards the Franklin site.)

They also bring up the 60 acres fronting the inner harbor (Port of Milwaukee property and Solvay Coke site) as the largest contiguous property available in the city limits.

No details are being discussed due to a non-disclosure agreement between the Milwaukee 7 and Amazon.

So the sites listed above are speculative from William Bonifas, executive vice president of the Milwaukee office of real estate firm CBRE.
AdmiralsFan24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #35707
mbradleyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,408
Likes (Received): 4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
In the article it mentions 100 acre sites in Waukesha County and on South 27th Street between West Oakwood Road and County Line Road in Franklin (they say in the article it would make sense for them to skew towards the Franklin site.)

They also bring up the 60 acres fronting the inner harbor (Port of Milwaukee property and Solvay Coke site) as the largest contiguous property available in the city limits.

No details are being discussed due to a non-disclosure agreement between the Milwaukee 7 and Amazon.

So the sites listed above are speculative from William Bonifas, executive vice president of the Milwaukee office of real estate firm CBRE.
...and Northridge. Yuck!
__________________

RMA3MKE liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #35708
EasyK83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
Likes (Received): 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
In the article it mentions 100 acre sites in Waukesha County and on South 27th Street between West Oakwood Road and County Line Road in Franklin (they say in the article it would make sense for them to skew towards the Franklin site.)

They also bring up the 60 acres fronting the inner harbor (Port of Milwaukee property and Solvay Coke site) as the largest contiguous property available in the city limits.

No details are being discussed due to a non-disclosure agreement between the Milwaukee 7 and Amazon.

So the sites listed above are speculative from William Bonifas, executive vice president of the Milwaukee office of real estate firm CBRE.
So Waukesha County, Franklin, and 27th Street.... they didn't read Amazon's list of wants did they? Where's the available mass transit or the urban environment?
__________________

MKE-bound, MKERevival liked this post
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #35709
EasyK83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
Likes (Received): 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbaiter View Post
Serious rant forthcoming....

I reluctantly have to agree. In order to get viewers, the media is very negative. That approach works in NY, Chicago and LA but if you spend time in cities #4-30, it is boosterism at its finest. I cringe when I know that a large conference is in town and the JS headlines stories about crime and chaos. How does that help in any meaningful way?

I believe you can and should get positive results without those headlines as those headlines perpetuate whatever image outsiders have.

I know some will say that Chicago does the same thing but we are not Chicago. In Chicago inertia barely reduces the reason to "say no" while in Milwaukee, due due much lower status, it is a viewed as an objection to say yes. Fair? No but that's how it works.

It just seems to me that cities all across the Nation, particularly in the SE, SW and NW are much better at this.

Just spent the past eeekend in Portland. Don't even get me going. I was happy to see that area booming, but man, we have a long way to go. Vibrant would be an understatement. A community needs mojo. Some cities have mojo and some are really self-doubting. I know we have issues in MKE that PDX doesn't have (demographics) but we need to be "all in" in creating as much positive buzz that we can to create the impression that things are good. Coming back, the local news doesn't seem to be assisting in that regard. Maybe its our Midwest modesty?
I find it hard to believe that struggling media outlets in other mid sized cities aren't also focused on murder and mayhem.
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #35710
mbradleyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,408
Likes (Received): 4277

The thing to me is, why do they need 100 acres for an HQ? What city other than Detroit has that much consolidated available land downtown (and I don't know if even they have)? Can you imagine what it would cost in New York?

I think they are looking for a campus, for what I don't know. But for a true HQ building, all they need is a block or so.

This is weird.

In any event, if they want a campus, those sites are what they are going to get wherever they look.

There is some conspicuously large, open land sitting right now south of the Loop in Chicago along the river. How that is still there is a wonder, but I bet it would do. Steely Dan?

In any event, I like to read that Milwaukee is being quiet about it. That's how you do it. I'm not saying we have a shot, but we're taking it anyway and that's good. Never say never.
__________________

MKE-bound liked this post

Last edited by mbradleyc; October 12th, 2017 at 07:44 AM.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #35711
MKE-bound
Registered User
 
MKE-bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 855
Likes (Received): 721

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
The thing to me is, why do they need 100 acres for an HQ? What city other than Detroit has that much consolidated available land downtown (and I don't know if even they have)? Can you imagine what it would cost in New York?

I think they are looking for a campus, for what I don't know. But for a true HQ building, all they need is a block or so.

This is weird.

In any event, if they want a campus, those sites are what they are going to get wherever they look.

There is some conspicuously large, open land sitting right now south of the Loop in Chicago along the river. How that is still there is a wonder, but I bet it would do. Steely Dan?

In any event, I like to read that Milwaukee is being quiet about it. That's how you do it. I'm not saying we have a shot, but we're taking it anyway and that's good. Never say never.
As my British friends say, "If ya don't ask, ya don't get.". We have to at least put a proposal out there. But I do wish it would align to the letter with the prospect's requests.
__________________
Great Lakes, great life.
MKE-bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #35712
EasyK83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
Likes (Received): 1150

I would have liked a site focused around the old Post Office, call it the Confluence or the River center but you have the Post Office building across the river from the Harley Davidson building and warehouses that are for sale across the river on Second Street.

Advantages:

1) A ecologically beautiful setting what with it being an estuary.
2) Close proximity to both downtown the Third Ward and 2nd Street Walker's Point
3) Lots of potential land availability with some historic brick structures available south of the Menomonee River.
4) It'd be right on the street car line and right next to Amtrak, it'd also be less than 10 minutes away from the airport.

The only issue is the location of Lone Star Concrete and their facility... which I assume could be bought out and relocated. There's also MMSD's building which I also assume could be moved.
__________________

mbradleyc, hailmike liked this post
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #35713
EasyK83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
Likes (Received): 1150

Concerning Cruise Ships

So last month a cruise ship docked in Milwaukee, the Hamburg, with 400 brave souls mostly from Europe. Now according to the Port Director this is an under served market with plenty of availability and I agree. However if we're going to accommodate Cruise Ships then we need a proper setting for them to dock. We can't have the tourists come off the boat and form an impression of the City in it's working harbor. What are some potential locations for a slip to accommodate cruise ships?
__________________

phxtravelboy liked this post
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #35714
Jschmuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 816
Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyK83 View Post
So last month a cruise ship docked in Milwaukee, the Hamburg, with 400 brave souls mostly from Europe. Now according to the Port Director this is an under served market with plenty of availability and I agree. However if we're going to accommodate Cruise Ships then we need a proper setting for them to dock. We can't have the tourists come off the boat and form an impression of the City in it's working harbor. What are some potential locations for a slip to accommodate cruise ships?
Simple quick response as of my moment (getting ready for work); expand upon the area where the car ferry is for a cruise ship port.
__________________
MilRockee/Madtown/Green Bay
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #35715
Milwaukee Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyK83 View Post
I find it hard to believe that struggling media outlets in other mid sized cities aren't also focused on murder and mayhem.
They are, but not in the same way they are here.

In Cincinnati or Pittsburgh you dont have media catering to a suburban audience asking them if they feel safe going downtown.
__________________

lrjohn7, RedLion727, Crankbaiter liked this post
Milwaukee Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #35716
Wright St.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 51
Likes (Received): 32

Cruise Ships

The breakwall east of Harbor House and Discovery was designed as, and intended to be a cruise ship dock. This was a requirement as early as the Discovery World design competition, and is constructed as shown on Google satellite images.

I do recall that they docked on the working inner harbor and bused to town last year, I don't recall the reasoning. Anyone know why this DW cruise ship dock isn't being used? Note that there are no amenities/accommodations at either location.
__________________

MKE-bound, EasyK83, hailmike liked this post
Wright St. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #35717
EasyK83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
Likes (Received): 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
Simple quick response as of my moment (getting ready for work); expand upon the area where the car ferry is for a cruise ship port.
That's a practical choice but is that the one to charm and woo tourists and really make an impression. I'd love to reconfigure the breakwater and add a slip off of Pier Wisconsin. Let ships dock by one of our nicest museums, the Calatrava, the summerfest grounds and oh yeah a soon to be redone Veterans Park. That's putting your best foot forward.
__________________

lrjohn7 liked this post
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #35718
EasyK83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
Likes (Received): 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright St. View Post
The breakwall east of Harbor House and Discovery was designed as, and intended to be a cruise ship dock. This was a requirement as early as the Discovery World design competition, and is constructed as shown on Google satellite images.

I do recall that they docked on the working inner harbor and bused to town last year, I don't recall the reasoning. Anyone know why this DW cruise ship dock isn't being used? Note that there are no amenities/accommodations at either location.
I'm guessing that this would require additional infrastructure work in the inner harbor. But cruise ship traffic could be a nice little boon even if we're only taking in only 400 a year. These kinds of travelers tend to be well off and their tend to be men and women of business, not a bad way to create buzz for the city in foreign business circles.
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #35719
Wright St.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 51
Likes (Received): 32

To repeat, a cruise ship dock exists, east of Pier Wisconsin / Discovery World. The question is, why are the ships not using it?

Obviously, its extant in a dramatic location sandwiched by museums, a restaurant, and looking up into the best high rises downtown has to offer.

Why the ships are dropping off cruisers next to the exported Joy Global drag shovels and a sewage treatment plant is a fair question.
Wright St. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #35720
SledHead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 158
Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright St. View Post
To repeat, a cruise ship dock exists, east of Pier Wisconsin / Discovery World. The question is, why are the ships not using it?

Obviously, its extant in a dramatic location sandwiched by museums, a restaurant, and looking up into the best high rises downtown has to offer.

Why the ships are dropping off cruisers next to the exported Joy Global drag shovels and a sewage treatment plant is a fair question.

You folks must have missed it, but we had this conversation a week and a half ago in the Third Ward forum. Go back to comment #969 on 10/2 to see the start of that thread.


I'm no expert, and can't personally validate the harbor data, but it would seem that the slip at the DiscoW pier is not deep enough for the draft depth of the ship that's been visiting these past few autumns.


Totally in agreement that a much better location than Jones Island should be found.
__________________

mbradleyc liked this post
SledHead no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
milwaukee, wisconsin

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu