daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Seattle Area Traffic and Roads

I know we have a couple transit threads. I thought we needed a traffic and roads thread too. I will start with a HuskyCast video my friend and coworker Maks Goldenshteyn put together for The Daily. It is about the annual inspection of the 520 bridge.

http://thedaily.washington.edu/video...ge-inspection/

If there is a better suited thread for this topic please let me know.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Seattlelife

I know it's a couple days old but thought it could start some discussions, plus it's relevant to the thread.

Expect traffic trauma as I-405 shutdowns continue today
Backups on Seattle-area highways are expected today as construction continues on the southbound lanes of Interstate 405, just beyond downtown Bellevue.

By Sonia Krishnan
Seattle Times staff reporter

Backups on Seattle-area highways are expected today as construction continues on the southbound lanes of Interstate 405, just beyond downtown Bellevue.

All southbound lanes closed Saturday to allow for the demolition of the Wilburton Tunnel, which will widen and expand the freeway. The lanes will be closed again today and for the next two weekends.

Saturday's morning rain delayed crews from shifting lanes to a new bridge at Oakesdale Avenue Southwest, said Brian Nielsen, construction engineering manager for the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT).

As a result, cars could get by in only one lane instead of two, causing half-hour delays through the construction zone, he said.

The 30-minute setback was "worse than what we predicted," he said. "We intended to have that second lane open earlier."

By late Saturday afternoon, traffic also was clogging up on Interstate 5 southbound as drivers started to make their way to Safeco Field for the Mariners game.

Nielsen said he's calling on drivers to be patient and use alternate routes as state crews work to improve the freeway.

"We don't do these full closures very often," Nielsen said. "This is a fairly unique thing for us."

Old August 14th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #3
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2548

I'm quite excited by the restriping for bike lanes on numerous streets, particularly Greater Downtown, and particularly on uphills. I've noticed these on Lower Queen Anne, and 4th Ave in the Government District. Very handy!
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #4
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I have noticed that I-405 is generally smoother ride than driving on I-5. I guess I-405 was built later than I-5 was built.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
Yes, by about 10 years.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #6
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

I think it's about time for the DOT to revert back to the ORIGINAL rule of having 3+ HOVs. All HOV lanes sometime in the 90s were converted to 2-person HOVs since it was under utilized, but now that it's saturated at peak periods, I think a 3 person minimum should be enacted again.

Also, I'm a little confused with the 520 HOV. Is that 3+?

I think this is a good alternative for BRT along the 405 corridor. Since the HOV lane is clogged during rush hours, make the HOV lane only a 3+ lane should make travel times more reliable.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Seattlelife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
I think it's about time for the DOT to revert back to the ORIGINAL rule of having 3+ HOVs. All HOV lanes sometime in the 90s were converted to 2-person HOVs since it was under utilized, but now that it's saturated at peak periods, I think a 3 person minimum should be enacted again.

Also, I'm a little confused with the 520 HOV. Is that 3+?

I think this is a good alternative for BRT along the 405 corridor. Since the HOV lane is clogged during rush hours, make the HOV lane only a 3+ lane should make travel times more reliable.
I also get confused by the 520 HOV lanes lol. When I was in HS I remember cruising past traffic in that lane with a friend in the passenger seat and we went by 2 cops on the shoulder. They stared at us as we drove by and I couldn't understand why. I later realized I was 1 person short of the HOV minimum. Oops. Luckily they didn't pull me over.

The HOV lanes headed west on the East side of 520 are terrible. You are hugging the railing and it creates a terrible bottle neck at the beginning of the bridge. I just wish 520 would be replaced already...

I think 3 person HOV is something to be looked at. How do others feel about it?

Old August 15th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #8
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

I would do 3+ before the new bridge is open on SR 520 since at the George Massey Tunnel which creates a bottle neck is 4 lanes too has HOV lanes on approach to the tunnel that are 3+.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #9
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
I also get confused by the 520 HOV lanes lol. When I was in HS I remember cruising past traffic in that lane with a friend in the passenger seat and we went by 2 cops on the shoulder. They stared at us as we drove by and I couldn't understand why. I later realized I was 1 person short of the HOV minimum. Oops. Luckily they didn't pull me over.

The HOV lanes headed west on the East side of 520 are terrible. You are hugging the railing and it creates a terrible bottle neck at the beginning of the bridge. I just wish 520 would be replaced already...

I think 3 person HOV is something to be looked at. How do others feel about it?
Yea, it's really terrible and a huge mess. The HOV should be on the left side, not on the right side. Also, 3+ person is really silly. There are too few people using the HOV and more people using the regular lanes. Also, HOV dissappears when you go on the bridge. I hope they have HOV all the way from Redmond to I-5 junction.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #10
Seattlelife

520 Corridor Test Drilling Gets Underway

Rachael Ruble, Q13 Fox News
October 13, 2008

State Department of Transportation crews will begin drilling Monday to test soil conditions for the new 520 bridge.
Crews will be drilling during the day from a barge on the east side of Lake Washington near the Medina shore.
You'll likely see the barge there for the next two weeks before it moves to the west side of Lake Washington for another four weeks.
In November the drilling work will move to land.
Drilling will last through February 2009. It's a critical step in the design of the new corridor.

http://www.q13fox.com/pages/news_sto...807&feedID=144

Old October 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #11
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

There is something that I do not get it... About every time I go on freeway with my boyfriend or friends or family to go to IKEA or Portland or Leavenworth or Bellevue... I always notice that most of drivers on freeways tend to go on freeway alone. I think it would reduce traffic big time if they do carpool more often. They would save a lot of money on gas if they decides to do carpool and reduce air pollution. I understand that some people need to travel alone for some reasons. Here in Puget Sound, we have some large companies that have hundreds to thousands of workers... I am sure many of solo drivers are on way to same places. They can do carpool to their workplaces. That is something we should think about...
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #12
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 67

What sort of incentives do you have in mind to encourage carpooling? Obviously people aren't doing it enough on their own accord...
Grayproduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #13
Seattlelife

Here's a carpooling site I just found.

http://www.carpoolworld.com/

It's a good idea if gas prices keep going up and traffic keeps getting worse. The problem though is cars are kind of like bedrooms to a lot of people in that they don't want to just share it with a stranger. There's also the convenience factor. People like driving themselves so they can leave when they want and go where they want.

I'd be cool to see more people pick up on for a traffic/environmental stand point and from a social stand point, but there are many factors currently prohibiting it from becoming popular.

Old October 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #14
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayproduct View Post
What sort of incentives do you have in mind to encourage carpooling? Obviously people aren't doing it enough on their own accord...
I think that could help encourage people to do carpool if their workplaces offer few things...

-Pay for the gas if the workers are willing to do carpool...

-Raise the salary a bit if the workers volunteer to do carpool to pick up other workers.

-Reward the workers who would do carpool. (Any kind of reward that would make workers more motivated to do carpool).

I think these might help motivate some of workers to do that to take advantage of deals. Any ideas?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #15
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 1443

I can't see having an employer pay for an employee's gas, but many do provide free (or reduced-fee) parking to those who car pool. The employee gets a break in parking fees. The employer gets a break in providing parking for more employees without leasing more spaces in a lot/garage.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #16
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

(Post by a complete traffic cynic.) For $2 billion+ we're getting one more lane across the lake; for the other 99% of drivers, no change whatsoever. As for the Viaduct, I call that the multibillion-dollar Kingdome II. Does anyone really doubt that a new elevated structure will eventually be demolished and undergrounded?
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #17
Seasun

Likes (Received): 991

Kind of funny combination: an official City news release mentioning such a TV show:

SDOT Traffic Advisory

For Immediate Release: November 7, 2008

(Note to reporters: We do not know the hours of the closure at this
time. We plan to resend this notice with hours on Monday.)

Fourth Avenue to be Closed Monday Night

SEATTLE— Fourth Avenue will be closed between Seneca and University
streets on Monday night, November 10, for filming for the reality TV
show The Bachelor. Northbound traffic on Fourth will be detoured west
on
Seneca Street to Third Avenue. Police Officers will assist. The street
will remain open for emergency vehicles.

The Seattle Department of Transportation builds, maintains and
operates
Seattle's $8 billion transportation infrastructure. To further Mayor
Nickels’ goal to get Seattle moving, the department manages short-
and
long-term investments in streets, bridges, pavement and trees, that
better connect the city with the region.
- 30-
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #18
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

Thinking about the Albert D. Rossellini Evergreen Point 520 Floating Bridge. I remember when it opened - what a marvel. We paid it off in record time, you know. Don't look for that hapening this time. I wouldn't have imagined that it would be demolished and replaced while the honoree was still living, while I was still living for that matter.

In any event, I propose that the new structure be named the Christine O'Grady Gregoire Evergreen Point 520 Car-Pool Lane. Gov. Gregoire is already 61, so place your bets.

Last edited by RMacherat; November 10th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #19
Seattlelife

What exactly is being done to 522 from Kenmore to 405? I hate driving it right now with all the cones and temporary lanes, especially when it rains.

Old November 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #20
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacherat View Post
(Post by a complete traffic cynic.) For $2 billion+ we're getting one more lane across the lake; for the other 99% of drivers, no change whatsoever. As for the Viaduct, I call that the multibillion-dollar Kingdome II. Does anyone really doubt that a new elevated structure will eventually be demolished and undergrounded?
For $2 billion, you're getting a bridge, where the build nothing option is no bridge.

You might want to look more at the 520 design. It's not just six lanes. It's collector lanes too - the big variant in cost now is the west end through Portage Bay and the Montlake connection, which are essentially new interchanges. A freeway is a lot more than just some lanes.

The Viaduct will be surfaced - there's no money for a tunnel. The mitigation costs are $1B, and the actual roadway will be about the same. Throw in the seawall, and you're at what's budgeted. There's no money for anything larger.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle, usa