search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2021
jessejb

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacherat View Post
So .. how reclusive is he anyway? Just wondering aloud about how likely he would be missed ..
hahaha

Maybe I'll just aim my speakers at the wall and put on a similar techno song, invert the bass on my subwoofer and possibly cancel out the sound!
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #2022
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 6212

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
Yeah its not even the music volume really. Just the repetitive nature of it. The same song for 15 hours a day. Just like the repetetive bongo and bucket drummers who have been doing the same beat for 5 years straight and are still entertained by their sound. Like a fly trying to get out through a closed window. Just bumping into it over and over and over...
Funny. I have some wingnut living next to me with a piano in his apartment and this clown plays "Bridge over Troubled Water" on what seems to be an endless tape loop.
Ruffhauser está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2023
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
Oh man. You guys havent LIVED until your reclusive neighbor who never sleeps decides to install speakers on your shared wall and get really into house techno music. I dont even need headphones anymore because all day long all I hear in my head is the same repetetive WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP WUMP.

SO AWESOME!!
I'd rather be kept awake by some sleek European dance music than the ugly top 40 hip hop crap Americans listen to. Just sayin'.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #2024
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 216

Nothing compared to when your roommate in a 13x13 ft triple dorm room gets into dubstep.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2025
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2073

My read of Seattle's building code is that there's fairly good soundproofing required between units. Assuming that's actually happening (hopefully building inspectors are looking for this), is it enough? [Jesse], was your unit built within the past decade or so?

If we expect the future Seattle to be a dense city, we should be very careful about issues like this. It might not take many bad shared-wall experiences to make people drive out to the suburbs for peace and quiet.

This also brings up a potential retrofit market. Soundproofing shared walls wouldn't be tough for a condo unit, though you may lose a square foot or two.
Matt the Engineer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2026
jessejb

My building was built in 1924. Its pretty good soundproofing-wise but bass speakers ON the wall make the difference.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2027
jessejb

I just got made fun of for like 15 minutes by my Bellevue, Queen Anne and Central District friends for not having a car. All because another buddy from Issaquah asked me about Bolt Bus. "blah blah I can drive to Portland whenever I want blah blah I can put stuff in my trunk blah blah I don't have to deal with homeless people blah blah third world modes of transportation..."

I'm going to cry in my champagne tonight and possibly ruin my custom suit if I keep thinking about this. I guess I'm just a poor investor for not leasing a shiny car in a neighborhood with a walk score of 100! This will distract me from planning my second, third and fourth fabulous vacation of the year...
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2028
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2400

Amen brother. Not having a car can ratchet you way up on the economic scale!
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #2029
jessejb

Word! Thanks for the encouragement. Are there any articles about how not having a car is a kickass wealth strategy? (Not just those articles about how cars are more expensive than you think.)
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2030
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2400

Not that I'm aware of. But they're out there.

It's pretty easy to make the case. Even with the cheapest car imaginable you'd be paying several thousand per year including Downtown/fringe parking. Whether you're just living free n easy or putting the whole thing to savings, the gist writes itself. "I don't have a car, which is why I can travel so much and still have money." Or "I don't have a car, so I'll be able to retire early."

If a cheap car plus Downtown parking is $7,000/year (which is below average per AAA), if you put $3,000/year extra to retirement (or a down payment), $2,000/year extra to centralized housing, and $2,000/year extra to having fun, that's a lot. In 30 years, when that retirement money has tripled even after inflation, you'll be very glad.

Hell, I'm glad every day. I'm a little over a mile from work, and once you factor in getting in and out of garages, one-way streets, jaywalking, etc., I might spend five extra minutes each way by walking. Meanwhile it also reduces how much time I need to spend officially "exercising" so it's a time-saver overall, even before the time people spend "for" their cars rather than just using them.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2031
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I don't have car either. So you're not alone! Honestly, I don't really see why I need one because we got excellent bus system here that gets me everywhere I need to be at on time. It saves me a couple thousand dollars a year by not having car. That helped me pay off my debts a while ago and currently building up my saving. Having a car can be stressful sometime only if your car got stolen or vandalized or break down which requires expensive repairs. Additionally, you will have to spend more time to find a spot to park your car and fill up the tank. Not worth my money and time.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2032
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2073

http://www.orphanroad.com/blog/2008/...ost-comparison

Though that's for an exurban commute.
Matt the Engineer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #2033
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

cancel

Last edited by RMacherat; May 26th, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Did not contribute
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2034
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2035
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 273

I like this discussion. I currently have a car, but I don't drive it as often. Maybe a few times a week. I have a heavily subsidized ORCA Card that I use. I do pay for gas, insurance, tabs and maintenance. So far, I haven't paid for major maintenance because I just got this car. I walk a ton and run recreationally. I have an illogical want to drive whenever I feel like. Sometimes I just like to drive and that's when I plan out errands, etcetera. The saving money to travel and retire early arguments are compelling. I can see myself driving less and less, but I don't know when I'll be able to just give it up completely. I also live in the Inner CD, which means I can get around to most of what I need by bus or foot. I used to bike everywhere for the first three years of living here, but I don't enjoy bicycle commuting anymore. This is all.
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2036
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2676

Sounds like you should Zip Car instead of owning. Pay for what you use.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2037
Doomgoggles
Unregistered non-user

Likes (Received): 654

I have two cars...I wish I could get rid of one. We should have a transit system that doesn't make you worry about being late all the time. I live in downtown Everett. I work in downtown Seattle. GF works in Redmond.

Everett to Seattle:
Car-only: 35-55 minutes
Sounder: 55 to 15 (walking and bus/drive to station)
ST510: 45 to 65+15 (walking and bus or drive to station)

If I rely on the ET 7 or 9 to get me to the station, it's about a 7 minute trip, but the headways are poor, and they don't sync up with the ST trips very well, adding more time.

Everett to Redmond? Forget about it. Fastest transit route makes you change buses at the Bellevue Transit Center...2 hours + when she can drive in one hour. Not ideal.

Should we live downtown? Of course! But we bought the house in Everett when we were both working up north. :\ Until the market improves, we're kinda tied down.
Doomgoggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2038
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 606

For me, it's a choice between a 20 minute drive or a two hour bus trip. Obviously I'm going go to drive.
bgwah está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2039
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2676

That's why cars = freedom.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2040
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

It is depends on where you live in. Cars don't always give you the freedom you want. Stuck in traffic, struggle to find a spot to park, vehicle break down, and unable to drive during bad weather (e.i. snows). Having excellent transit system can give you more freedom than cars can.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote