search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:03 AM   #1921
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 274

^How about an umbrella? Hahaha.....

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:32 AM   #1922
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

These "occupiers" and "anarchists" are getting old. Get a job already lol.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1923
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

Wish somone had the nerve to pull the mask off one of those twerps and photograph him running home to mommy and daddy in Laurelhurst.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1924
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1108

The dick heads spouting anarchy/breaking windows and the hippies holding up signs are 2 very different groups. Hippies with signs would be better than the miscreants that usually hang around westlake during the day. The *******s with masks breaking windows can rot in jail for all i care.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1925
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

I have to wonder if the Black Bloc are really hired guns out to smear the image and reputation of the protesters.

The fact that they never get caught wherever they go leaves me with this suspicion.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1926
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2676

Oh god...
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1927
jessejb

Likes (Received): 503

Next time I'm going out with a tazer since the cops don't seem to care.
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1928
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
There were certainly plenty of media types on the spot to film the violence. One wonders, where were the police? Why do the police in this town normally react to such events rather prevent them in the first place. They had plenty of warning the terrorists were about to descend on the city. Is this depolicing in action? For my own info, does the city ALWAYS have to approve this or that march on free speech grounds or could it not allow this march next year?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1929
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
There were certainly plenty of media types on the spot to film the violence. One wonders, where were the police? Why do the police in this town normally react to such events rather prevent them in the first place. They had plenty of warning the terrorists were about to descend on the city. Is this depolicing in action? For my own info, does the city ALWAYS have to approve this or that march on free speech grounds or could it not allow this march next year?
It's not just Seattle. The Black Bloc gets away with it in Vancouver (during the Olympics) and Toronto (the G8/20 summit, which had a billion dollar security budget--go figure!), and probably plenty of other cities.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1930
Seasun

Likes (Received): 912

Quote:
Related topic that to me shows how far we have to go to improve the cops' ability to maintain order: There were recent articles about how the City Council needs to draft new laws to allow SPD to film people in public spaces prior to a crime being committed. The city has gotten sued for recording people without a crime having taken place. I like a lot of what the ACLU does but if you're in a public space you should expect you might be recorded (and you are already being recorded by the media and private security owned video cameras).
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1931
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2084

Quote:
We don't have enough police to guard every window. And you can't (or at least shouldn't) arrest people that haven't done anything illegal yet. Yes, once there's actually people smashing in windows, it's a good idea to try to arrest them. But if at that point you just have a handful of police surrounded by thousands of protesters, that's a brave/stupid move.

In the end, the protesters didn't hurt anyone. These weren't violent crimes, and I don't feel any less safe having them still out on the street. I'd prefer for people that break things to be punished for their crimes, but it isn't anything I'm going to lose sleep over.

Also, I much prefer living in a society where the police don't attack pre-emptively. Seattle did the right thing this time, and didn't pepperspray any old women in the face.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #1932
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
Maybe if you're lucky, Phoenix Jones' team will have an opening!
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1933
RMacherat
Buy used books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasun View Post
.. but if you're in a public space you should expect you might be recorded (and you are already being recorded by the media and private security owned video cameras ..
I've never been able to see any legal/constitutional difference between video surveillance (one cop watching multiple locations from a distance and recording it) and simply having a beat officer on every corner, watching and remembering.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1934
Matt the Engineer

I think what people are scared of is that modern facial recognition software is very good*. It's an easy few steps from government watching everyone to government tracking everything you do. And an easy step from there to, for instance, destroying your political opponents. With good government this won't be an issue, but good luck finding a single room full of people that trust government to that extent. Personally, I'm not too afraid. But I am certainly sympethetic to the argument.

* Anyone use Picasa? I have all of my photos indexed by person - and that's with free software.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1935
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 243

This makes me want to finish reading 1984
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1936
RMacherat
Buy used books

You know what's next on the horizon? Borrowed from our recent wars, airborne historical surveillance. Put up drones or balloons over a city and just record everything 24/7. A crime happens, and all you do is rewind that part to see where the perp came from and go blow up his house .. err ... arrest him.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1937
cityviewer

Likes (Received): 88

London's (the most spied on city in the world) infamous surveillance cameras have solved one crime per thousand cameras per year.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...dons_surv.html

Last edited by cityviewer; May 5th, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
cityviewer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1938
Matt the Engineer

Doesn't sound like a great payback. How much does a camera cost? Would they have solved these crimes anyway?

Then again, you can't measure the crime that didn't happen because people know they're being watched.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1939
cityviewer

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
Doesn't sound like a great payback. How much does a camera cost? Would they have solved these crimes anyway?

Then again, you can't measure the crime that didn't happen because people know they're being watched.
I suppose you could compare crime stats pre/post camera installations.

comment from the link:
"For me there is one convincing argument against all those cameras. You can find it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
The picture, taken by a surveillance camera, shows Mohammed Atta boarding his 9/11 flight. The camera prevented nothing."

Posted by: Ernst
cityviewer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1940
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 1422

I hope no one is suggesting that cameras solve or prevent crimes. I would suggest that they do deter crime though. I certainly think twice before "going for it" through the intersection of Denny and Fairview!

What cameras DO do is improve convictions as they add credible evidence. imo
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote