SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Rwenzori Lounge - Ugandan General Chat Thread

75K views 109 replies 36 participants last post by  Jan 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Rwenzori Lounge! :) This will be the off topic section for the Ugandan subforum. Talk about anything you like to as long as it complies with SSC rules.

#9 ·
Bank of Uganda takes over control of Tropical Bank in Uganda

Kampala

The Libyan government has lost control of Tropical Bank in Uganda following the Central Bank’s decision to enforce a United Nations Security Council Resolution announced last month calling nations to freeze assets of the Libyan government and its associated entities in foreign countries.

However, Bank of Uganda maintains that Tropical Bank will continue operating normally despite the sanction on the Libyan government stating that Tropical Bank is in a sound financial condition and will continue with normal operations.

The United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1970 and 1973 imposed an asset freeze on the Government of Libya and associated entities, including the Libyan Foreign Bank, the major shareholder of Tropical Bank Limited. The sanctions on Libya were imposed to halt attacks by Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s regime on protesters. Uganda’s government has frozen $375 million worth of Libyan-owned assets to comply with the UN action, as reported yesterday in our paper.

Tropical Bank is among the 24 commercial banks licensed by the Bank of Uganda. The Libyan Foreign Bank has 99.83 per cent shareholding in Tropical Bank and has been responsible for appointing top managers of the bank.

In a statement read for him by the Deputy Governor, Dr Louis Kasekende, in a news conference held at the bank’s premises yesterday, Prof. Emmanuel Tumusiime Mutebile, the Bank of Uganda governor, said: “In order to ensure that Tropical Bank continues operating normally as a commercial bank in Uganda, the Bank of Uganda has taken a series of measures which are designed to ensure that its management is fully independent of the Libyan government and its associated entities and that it transacts no business with the Libyan Government and Associated entities.”

Prof. Mutebile explained that these measures, which are taken under the Financial Institution Act, include the removal from office with immediate effect of mangers and board members appointed by the Libyan Foreign Bank.

To this effect, the central bank has appointed Prince Kassim Kakungulu replacing Mr Mohamed Ali Wahra who has been the managing director of the bank.

Speaking on the status of the remaining posts to be filled by the Bank of Uganda, Prof. Mutebile said the Bank of Uganda is appointing a new management team and board in consultation with government. Without mentioning names, the Executive Director Supervision, Bank of Uganda, Ms Justine Bagyenda, said five board members and senior managers of Tropical Bank has been removed.
Libyan government has several investments in Uganda. However, the central bank did not mention any other asset freezing apart from the one in Tropical Bank.

Lately, Libya has become one of the leading foreign investors in Uganda in various sectors of the economy. When Saturday Monitor called Tropical Bank, the former Director Communications BoU, Mr Jume Walusimbi, who said he was just helping to respond to the numerous telephone calls, declined to divulge details on the financial strength of the bank and instead said Tropical Bank would organise a press conference later in the date to clarify on the situation.
from manitor.co.ug

#10 ·
Uganda government takes Shs1.7 trillion for jet fighters

The government took $740 million (about Shs1.7 trillion) worth of taxpayers’ money from Bank of Uganda to buy fighter jets and other military hardware from an unknown country.

The money, according to the ruling party MPs who attended the Thursday night NRM Caucus meeting at State House Entebbe, where President Museveni revealed the transaction, was reportedly withdrawn during elections and without the mandatory parliamentary approval.

But the meeting that ended at about 2am sought among others to persuade the NRM MPs to grant a retrospective authority for government to spend the money. “The President told us that the money was used to buy fighter jets and other military hardware he didn’t name,” a member, who requested not to be named because the President strongly cautioned the lawmakers against leaking the information to the press, said. “He said he wanted us to approve a retrospective supplementary of $740m obtained from the central bank.”

According to NRM MPs, who attended the meeting, the President was unwilling to offer substantial details to the deal but asked the NRM MPs to approve the unprecedented supplementary when it comes to parliament in the due course. “We were ambushed,” another member said. “We didn’t know the subject to discuss. The President had documents and kept referring to them, saying the transaction was under classified expenditure. But some members like Felix Okot-Ogongo (Dokolo) told the President that the shilling was depreciating against the dollar because Bank of Uganda doesn’t have money.”

BoU communication director Eriot Mweya was not aware of the transaction but said if government agencies want to buy anything in foreign currency, they use foreign reserves in Bank of Uganda to buy dollars. “They bring local currency to get dollars and this doesn’t mean government got money from Bank of Uganda,” Mr Mweya said. “I suspect that’s what might have happed in that case. In fact, our foreign reserves stand at $2.5 billion worth of five months of imports yet the required foreign reserves should take us for three months.”

MPs also asked the President to explain whether there was any precedent where Parliament has ever approved a supplementary budget of such magnitude. Others demanded for accountability of the recently Shs600b approved in the middle of the general elections. The opposition has since accused the ruling part of using the supplementary to bribe voters in the recently concluded elections.

In April last year, Daily Monitor reported that the government had denied reports in a leading Russian business daily, Vedomotsi, that it had signed a contract with Moscow to buy the Su-30-MK2s fighter jets at Shs654b. However, the following day, the army spokesman, Lt. Col. Felix Kulayigye, said the army would buy six fighter jets from a Russian arms exporter if the government gets the money. Earlier reports indicated that Rosoboronexport, the Russian state arms exporter, would also supply 16 similar jets to Algeria. But Lt. Col. Kulayigye, who had denied the reports, made a U-turn, saying purchases would go ahead because they need the sophisticated Russian-made jet fighters to strengthen the country’s national air defence capability.

“The President told us that the country faces terrorism threats and therefore the government needed to acquire the jets and other equipment to beef up the capacity of the UPDF,” another member said, adding: “Some of us were not convinced because we had just approved Shs600b and now another Shs1.7 trillion. This is a lot of money but we told them to discuss the matter in cabinet and inform us later on the way forward.” Lt. Col. Kulayigye last evening said: “I didn’t attend that meeting at State House and therefore cannot comment on that matter.”

While the ruling party has the numbers in Parliament to push through the supplementary budget, questions emerged last evening on what might have prompted such colossal sums of expenditure at a time when the country is facing economic stress as a result of inflationary pressures. It’s also not clear why this money was never included in the 2010/11 budget.

However, other MPs who attended the meeting said the money could have been spent on the general elections even though the President insists that it was for boosting national security. If this supplementary comes to Parliament, it’s likely to pass through the Budget Committee without huddles since it has been treated as a classified expenditure.
Finance Minister Syda Bbumba and Secretary to the Treasury Chris Kassami were not available comment.

Reaction to the move

Shadow Finance Minister Okello Oduman:
“Ugandans must tighten their belts. The Shs1.7 trillion meant for productive areas, stabilising the depreciation of the shilling and rising inflation in the country is going to buy military hardware in exchange for a service that doesn’t add any direct value to the economy. This is what we call non-quid pro quo movement of money. It’s like injecting money in the population in exchange for nothing.”

Opposition Chief Whip Kassiano Wadri:
“Which country is President Museveni going to attack? We want roads, drugs in hospitals, quality education, better service delivery and not fighter jets. They are yet to account for the Shs602 billion they took from the treasury recently and now they want another Shs1.7 trillion, this is going too far. We cannot match the NRM numbers in the House but as opposition we are going to express our displeasure when this supplementary comes to Parliament.”

Public Accounts Committee Chairman Nandala Mafabi:
“We are talking about Shs1.7 trillion, which is equivalent to the infrastructure and health budget combined. This is money going to non-productive areas and without accountability. It means that the government has lost focus. They don’t have any idea of the country’s priorities. We expect to see budget performance reports and not people asking for more money to buy fighter jets. The government has become a bottomless pit yet our people are getting poorer. There is no value for money and the economy is feeling the pinch because of this reckless spending”

John Odit (Erute South):
“If NRM MPs agree to pass this money, this is going to be one of the greatest plunders of the 8th Parliament. I am a member of the budget committee and I know the fact that Parliament has gone beyond the limit to offer money to government. This is money they used to finance elections and fighting the opposition. The last supplementary budget we approved was 7 per cent yet the accepted percentage is only 3 per cent. We have to block this money in public interest otherwise; we are in serious trouble as a country.”

Franka Judith Akello (Agago Woman MP):
“What’s the urgency to spend $740 million (Shs1.7 trillion)? How come this money was not put in the budget? Let them wait and put the money in the next budget if they want to buy these fighter jets. We don’t have the money yet we continue to incur expenditures as if there is no tomorrow. I request my colleagues in the NRM to think about the taxpayers and block this request. We are still a poor country and cannot afford such a magnitude.”

#19 ·
Searching for a movie...

There was a Ugandan movie I watched I think about a year ago but I can't remember the name of the film...maybe it was in Luganda.

The plot of the film was centered around a young woman whose husband died. Her husband was a doctor so they lived n a doctors quarters or some apartment allocated to doctors but since he died the family had to move out. His sister didn't really like the woman but the man's (dead husband) friend started developing feelings for the woman....you know what I can't really remember all the details...but I was just wondering if any of you guys know a film similar to it :dunno:

#24 ·
Ugandan Princess - Cinderella

I didn't really know where to post this. I intially wanted to post it in the media thread but it was a BBC production and not really a Ugandan outlet so I just decided to post it here....

In the UK there was a programme over a year ago about royalty from all over the world, three princesses took part: one from Asia, one from Europe and one from Africa went undercover in the UK looking for their perfect "prince" charming lol

Towards the end of the programme they had to reveal to their date about their real identity, the African Princess that took part was from Uganda, her name was Cinderella :laugh:

She was really funny, I don't know if any Ugandans have seen this show but I'll post a few clips for you to see

#25 ·
I didn't really know where to post this. I intially wanted to post it in the media thread but it was a BBC production and not really a Ugandan outlet so I just decided to post it here....

In the UK there was a programme over a year ago about royalty from all over the world, three princesses took part: one from Asia, one from Europe and one from Africa went undercover in the UK looking for their perfect "prince" charming lol

Towards the end of the programme they had to reveal to their date about their real identity, the African Princess that took part was from Uganda, her name was Cinderella :laugh:

She was really funny, I don't know if any Ugandans have seen this show but I'll post a few clips for you to see

Sheila Nvanungi not a Buganda princess?

I am writing to set the record straight about the above programme which
was aired on Sunday 7th March 2010 on BBC Three [in Britain] at 9pm.

I am a true Princess from the Buganda Kingdom and my brother Kabaka (king) Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II is the present ruling King of Buganda.

The woman featured on the programme Sheila Nvanungi is not a Buganda princess or member of the Buganda royal family.

This woman started out using the name "Princess" Sheila Nvanungi as a stage
name but now to put in reality, it's shocking. She is well known in the Ugandan capital
Kampala as a singer and has appeared in a film but since 2004, she has hardly
brought out any songs and was rumoured to have many problems.

We are angry and shocked that BBC could make such a programme without verifying the authenticity of this person. I watched last years programme "The Undercover Princes" and enjoyed it but after seeing this one yesterday, it has made me question if these people are true Prince and Princess or has it all been staged by the BBC for the
sake of getting viewing ratings and good entertainment!

1. I hope the people who watched the programme on Sunday wondered why we never went inside any palace. The Buganda Kingdom has three palaces named Banda, Kireka and Bamunanika. None of the three was shown on the show let alone see this woman inside.

2. What this woman was wearing as our tradition attire is not what we wear. Our
attire is called a busuuti but this woman was dressed like a Zulu from South Africa.

3. This woman acted very primitive but members of the Buganda Royal Family are well educated who have attended schools, colleges and universities here in Britain and
America. Even at this moment, we have young members of our royal family at boarding school here. Yes, we do know what jacket potato, beef burger and coleslaw are but this woman did not have a clue.

It is shocking how primitive this woman came across in the programme. She has
ashamed, humiliated and embarrassed the Buganda Kingdom. I hope you will be able to print this for us in order to set the record straight.
^^^^^^
this is from a Ugandan new paper.

the link:http://www.ugandarecord.co.ug/index...3&seo=Sheila Nvanungi not a Buganda princess?

#26 ·
^^ oh dear now I feel terrible....well I'm sorry for posting a false representation of Uganda then :(

oh and btw I had noticed that she wasn't wearing a busuuti but because I thought she was a royal I thought they had another special outfit reserved for them...but that is a good point though.

3. This woman acted very primitive but members of the Buganda Royal Family are well educated who have attended schools, colleges and universities here in Britain and
America. Even at this moment, we have young members of our royal family at boarding school here. Yes, we do know what jacket potato, beef burger and coleslaw are but this woman did not have a clue.
okay as terrible as I feel about this misleading potrait from the BBC I couldn't help laughing at this :lol:

#27 ·
Sokots :hug:

I need to get this out of my system b4 it's too late......Sheila's hairstyles throughout the episiodes were a complete mess.com.....my fingers were literally itching to fix her hair.

I watched all the episiodes and Sheila was hialrious and entertaining. (i really don't care whether she was a fake princess). She was interesting to watch. The princess from Germany just didn'tlook like a princess IMO.......and her choice in men sucked. Sheila got a good taste in men and Lawrence was a fine specimen+ good personality (hard to find these kinds).

As for the Indian princess, I was like "chile please, keep it moving"....she was on the wrong show, she was very boring, and lacked personality. Having said that, the only princess IMO from that show was the Indian princess(however, i don't think she comes from a very popular Kingdom. Probably comes from one of those less significant kingdoms). The Indian princess too was crying and taking sticky notes on how to appraoch a man! ..wtf......Anyways, the German girl just didn't look like a princess and she needed to fix her teeth. I am sure she was a hired actress. As for my favorite, Sheila, girlfriend was the bomb.com

The producers definitely know what they were doing and hired actors and less significant descendants of a royal kindom (the Indian princess) to make a show.

But yeah, it was good to see three strangers from different continents interact with one another without succumbing to the prejudices and stereotypes on this world.

#28 ·
:rofl:

I never knew you guys could watch this programme in America :lol:

yeah I did know one Ugandan girl that was embarassed of Sheila but she was the most fascinating to watch and after reading that revealing letter from u.g boy she does actually reveal herself to be a bit....hmmmmmm....a bit of a fake I suppose. She acts like she's never been let out in the world before :lol: but she was the most interesting and entertaining "princess".

The German one looks like someone who is down to earth and really cool and fun to hang out with - I duobt she even knew about her royal connections...lol @ the Indian one, she's lived a sheltered life all her life - she didn't even know how to approach women all that so how was she supposed to know how approach men lol

I think the undercover princes were more enetertaining however....The Swazi King was such a typical African man :lol:....damn he needed to excercise as well.

I loved what he told his date....she dared to disagree with him about the British vs Zulus etc and he said "lady, today we must agree with me tomorrow we will only agree with your points" :lol:...just because she said she didn't want to be with him he blanked her for the rest of her stay in Swazi :rofl:

The Indian Prince was into men :lol:

and there was another one - can't rememeber where he comes from and he was banished from his own Kingdom :hilarious

but yeah Sheila was the best thing to happen in the women series - she should just have taken advatange of her exposure and short lived royalty status and gone and act in Nollywood ....that's where she belongs really :lol:

#29 · (Edited)
Nope gurl, it is not shown here but you did influence me in watching the entire episodes after you posted the preview for the series in this thread.....someone uploaded the whole episodes on YouTube.

Sheila had the nerve to call herself CINDERELLA.... Smh :hilarious:

My funniest Sheila Moments:
  1. When she got scared of a dog from a passer-by
  2. Her sudden strange behaviour when she and her man were in Uganda.
  3. Calling a white man "too pink"
  4. Her first sip of British coffee
  5. Equating Essex/Britain to Paradise
  6. The scene where she meets her blinddate for the first time......No comment:hilarious:

Apart from that, was the wierd voiceover from the background describing what Sheila was doing at various scenes
  1. The scene where the voicever described Sheila as talking to the trolley (at the supermarket) :hilarious:
  2. When Sheila was standing at the balcony of the supermarket.

The Indian Princess ( forgot that girl's name)
  1. Her blindate date with that chef at the restaurant.....urg awkward!!!! :hilarious:
  2. When that white boy dumped her on their date..lol......, girlfriend tried to unbruise her ego by forcing herself to go on another date thet very instant :hilarious:...(we all know that the white guy dumped her:lol:)

Sheila is wrong on so many levels for doing this...the comedy starts from 8:08 - the end of the video... Smh

Please if you know where I can watch the episodes for the Prince, pls send me the links....I couldn't find the entire episodes on You Tube.

#30 ·
Nope gurl, it is not shown here but you did influence me in watching the entire episodes after you posted the preview for the series in this thread.....someone uploaded the whole episodes on YouTube.

Sheila had the nerve to call herself CINDERELLA.... Smh :hilarious:
well it's better than she calling her self Snow White :shifty: :D

My funniest Sheila Moments:
  1. When she got scared of a dog from and
  2. Her strange habits when she and her man were in Uganda.
  3. Calling a white man "too pink"
  4. Her first sip of British coffee
  5. Equating Essex/Britain to Paradise
  6. The scene where she meets her blinddate for the first time......No comment:hilarious:
Oh Lord she called a guy "too pink" :shocked:....:rofl:

I didn't even see that episode :lol:

lol @ calling essex a paradise :rofl:....yeah a paradise for horny men more like - that is known as the slutty side of London

I was laughing so hard when she forced her date from Tirnidad to pretend he was a prince from his country to impress her family :lol:

he couldn't even fake that...when they were asking him if he were a prince and how the royal structure is in Trinidad he was talking about presidents, election etc :lol:

And the first time he came out to Uganda she kept him waiting for so long and just showed up and was like feeling sorry for herself - lol that girl is a diva

The Indian Princess ( forgot that girl's name)
  1. Her blindate date with that chef at the restaurant.....urg awkward!!!! :hilarious:
  2. When that white boy dumped her on their date..lol......, girlfriend tried to unbruise her ego by forcing herself to go on another date thet very instant :hilarious:...(we all know that the white guy dumped her:lol:)
lol the Indian Princess was a 5 year old trapped in a womans body - I sorry for her lol

Please if you know where I can watch the episodes for the Prince, pls send me the links....I couldn't find the entire episodes on You Tube.
sorry I don't know how to retrieve the whole episodes but the Prince version was hilarious...none of the girls in the UK were feeling the Swazi King :D - must have hurt his royal ego....I don't even think they knew what flirting was...he would just go to a group of girls with a pen and paper collecting numbers :lol:

the next day he tried calling them up to come over they were like no way lol

#34 ·
How do we get more active Ugandan forumers?

I've just noticed that the forum is somehow dead and ug boy is like the one holding everything up?Which forums do Ugandans visit?at least we can convinced them to cross over to SSC and rep their country too.:2cents:

#44 ·
I've just noticed that the forum is somehow dead and ug boy is like the one holding everything up?Which forums do Ugandans visit?at least we can convinced them to cross over to SSC and rep their country too.:2cents:
guyz ugandans r very lazy..kenyans r very strong in their threads..we can leaf frm Tanzanianz the new forumers...Ug boy iz god but shud learn hw to post his threads,,thy luk very bad..very disorganised..he can put entebbe town snaps in Masaka..wc makes it luk bad..n we shud also develop

#35 ·
present your neighbours free computers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.